Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
na
Technical Analyst (Current Employee), Whitby, ONApril 2, 2014
I can not recommend this company. Especially the IT department.
Great place to work!
General Labourer (Current Employee), Cornwall, ONAugust 19, 2013
A great job to learn about the scrap metal and steel industry. Get to enjoy working with people and a great team of employees. Management always took great care and looked out for co-workers. Amazing benefits and overall a great company to work for.
Really good CO-OP placment
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJuly 31, 2013
Pros: amazing people
Cons: co-op and wasnt payed
Amazing place to get to learn about industrial plants.
Also really cool to get to see an arc furnace at work. and getting to see all the computers that go into making it all run.
Great place to work for younger man
Shearman (Former Employee), Whitby, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: it was challenging and well paying
Cons: it was long hours of repetitive labour .
It was a great place to work when I was younger , But after 35 years the 12 hour shifts were getting to be too long . Also it was time for a change . I am recieving a pension from Gerdau Ameristeel but am looking to suppliment this with either full or part time work .
Gerdau-Cambridge Mill upper mngt need better engagement to ordinary employees.
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Gerdau - Cambridge MillOctober 9, 2012
They have a very good culture and training for new employees. Only noticed that there was a time when management fail to conduct appropriate investigations nor communicate to concerned persons when situations arose to the detriment of the poor guy who was new and didn't have influence to upper mngt. Seeing the good rather than being always critical – more... on a person actions would have been better. Unbalanced info was given to upper mgnt behind the back of the poor guy. Hope they get better. – less
excellent
Management Facilitator (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJuly 24, 2012
I enjoyed my employment and short career with Gerdau, but family health issues became more important, I would recommend this company to anyone seeking employment in this field
it was appart of my Field placement Class.
Student Credit Assisstant (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMay 21, 2012
I volunteered 225 hours of my time to Gerdau to assist them with Annual Account Reviews.
Its a steel mill.
millwright (Former Employee), Whitby, ONApril 4, 2012
Pros: good times there
Cons: baghouse, worst place ever
Working there the longest and went thru the good and bad times there. Did my trade there and worked on almost every piece of equipment in there over the years.
Was from one end to the other over the years and up above and down underneath.
Fast Paced
Scale Clerk (Former Employee), Jackson, MIJuly 27, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no room for advancement and growth within the company
Working for Gerdau is very fast paced, you are always learning something new. They send you to a lot of meetings and training classes depending on what position your in some are daily some are a few times a month. Most of the co-workers are friendly and willing to help out if needed others are back stabbing especially the supervisors they expect you – more... to do there job to make them look better. Most challenging part of the job is the constant change but for me it was the best part of it. – less
Poor Management
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee), King George, VAJuly 13, 2014
Poor management, no advancement opportunities, salary is low, NO work/life balance
Very Productive place
Fabricator (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJuly 9, 2014
Met alot of great people. Incentive check each month. Benefits second to none
Loader
Loader (Current Employee), Lancaster, scJune 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and good money
Cons: risk of getting hurt and long hours of unventilated work.
Alot of racism and company not an equal opportunity employer. The company should be put under investigation because there are alot of concerns about only certain people becoming employed with this company.
Good Long Term Employment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Midlothian, TXJune 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits!
Cons: some of the forklifts are old and the process to replace them is taking a while, they are hard to keep running.
A typical day consisted of loading trucks for me. It was mostly a independent job. You don't really work with others unless you need help. Your co-workers are half good and half bad. Some are good about cleaning up after themselves. Others leave a mess for you to clean up. Hardest part of the job is the stress. When you are loading and look at the truck – more... line, and see it full, you know it's going to be stressful trying to get the trucks out. I enjoyed how I worked alone and they made it to where we are practically our own boss. Management is pretty good and they have a long term mindset. It is a perfect company if you are looking for a career. A lot of the guys I met while working there had been there anywhere from 5-35+ years. – less
Demanding and ever changing
COHC and Coordinator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VaJune 17, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: shift work
12 hour Swing Shifts
Good Benefits
Global Company
Always changing
A growing up and learning experience.
Senior Operator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAJune 1, 2014
Pros: timely advancement in pay scale.
Cons: political interference with job.
Uniform patrol in high crime rated areas of city. Traffic enforcement through Radar operations and DUI check points. Protective service details for Presidential, Vice Presidential and visiting dignitaries. SWAT & Counter Terrorism team activities. Firearms and Tactics Instructor.
A very productive place to work at
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), Joliet, ILMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches, bonuses, overtime
Cons: cold in the winter, hot in the summer and always dirty
After many years working at the plant, I met some of the best people I could ever want to met. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be responsibility that I had as a coordinator.
Gerdau
Melt shop multi-craft maintenance (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 21, 2014
Good company to work for. They have made it possible to advance and the culture is advanced.
good money when things are good.
Loader/ crane operator (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 17, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: people thats been there too long
when I started there the pay was excellent and I moved up quickly but, as the economy got worse so did the job and people you work with, a lot of back stabbing and cut thought because the over time dried up and management was a main reason. Favoritism and nepotism is rampant and they will make you wanna punch them in the face some times.
Used to be great company
Environmental (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAMay 14, 2014
Focus is lost and steel is no longer made by committed employees......
good experience
Protective Services Safety Officer (Current Employee), petersburg va.May 12, 2014
Pros: wages
Cons: shift work
good experience in a industrial atmosphere working emergency medical, fire ,haz mat, and security in Petersburg va.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau AmeristeelĀ puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more