GEORGIAN COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Learning place to work.
GCSA DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 July 2017
I worked as Georgian College Director and I am so honored that I served the Georgian College for many years. My workplace was so fun and exciting. On my typical day at work, I attend meetings and approve agendas with my workmates. We planned many events for the students. Management was supportive and helpful and I learned that if you wanted to do something you can achieve it no matter what.

I planned an event for the college in which people have to come and participate in a cultural event. It was on Christmas break and we serve them and build more connections with students.
Pros
Leadership Development
Cons
Limited hours
Amazing experience
Professor (Part-time (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 June 2017
After working at the college for almost ten years, I was able to experience being a support staff as well as an Instructor for many years. My support staff position allowed me many freedoms to establish the best possible system for measurement of web statistics. Georgian college encourages growth and maturity of their professional teams.
I loved working there.
Pros
Team, Pension
Cons
management needs an overhaul
Terrible workplace environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 June 2017
Many co-workers unprofessional. Management hardly present and disengaged. Training poor, done by co-worker without skill set to train or lead well. Atmosphere negative and poor morale overall. There for over 2 years. Many managers revolving in department. HR experience unpleasant.
Pros
Worked with and supported students
Cons
Co-worker and department environment poor
n/a
Client Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 June 2017
Future prospects are bleak if you aren't among the chosen.

Prized positions are handed down to friends and family, unfair workload and expectations for entry-level employees.

Technical jobs provided to non-technical employees.
Challenging but engaging work, flexible work schedule
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 May 2017
Working as a tutor at Georgian College provides a unique work experience that exposes employees to a wide array of individuals of different backgrounds and languages, allowing employees to interact with and learn about other cultures. The College also offers opportunities for continued training to improve useful skills. Employees enjoy a high degree of autonomy and the ability to choose when and how often to work, depending upon availability. The workplace is generally friendly and informal. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to be exposed to new cultures and languages while also putting my writing skills to use. I also enjoyed the flexibility of the workplace in that supervisors were willing to work around a busy school schedule. The only real drawback to the job was the general absence of available work.
Pros
Good flexibility to help employees balance life and work
Cons
Unreliable for a steady income
Good Workplace
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 May 2017
Great company in general, although not many advancement opportunities, and positions shift frequently. However, the company culture is great, very calm and gives a sense of safety and stability.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Great people good benefiits
Business Analyst- Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 April 2017
Is a good environment, If you plan to have the same position until you retired that is your company. the possibility to grow is very small unless you are in the administration group.
They have good vacation and benefits.
The school does not have a good diversity community.
Pros
benefits, vacations
Cons
zero career grow
Productive and fun place to work
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 February 2017
Great place to work, Excellent benefits package.
Enjoyed my employment, great staff to work with.
Excellent benefit package and vacation
Pros
Greatplace to work
Cons
Uncertainty
Rewarding
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 February 2017
I have loved my job ever since I started teaching in January of 2011, but because of recent changes in the college, there have been department cutbacks and that is the reason for my recent search for work.
The rewards I get from teaching/instructing the students, is over the top.
Placement.
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 February 2017
Collaborating with students and teachers through Community Projects Initiative. Creating programs, activities, and raising money for the youth in the Simcoe community.
I love working here
Senior Instructor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 February 2017
I have nothing negative to say regarding my employer. They take very good care of us Instructors. It's rare to have an employer who genuinely care about their staff.
Pros
All travel expenses are covered
Cons
Not a year round job
Teachers are good
Asp.net Webform game tracking app (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 January 2017
I used to study here. I like the teachers teach they always gave us any practical exercise to have our grades. Friendly environment, no compulsory attendance and get the help you need from your peers, professors and friends.
Fun Workplace
Per-tutor Biology (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 December 2016
Once a week students would schedule time with me and I would help them with any questions they had about biology class. I worked by myself. This job allowed me to teach peers and helped me with my studying.
Georgian College
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 December 2016
Good place to work that is accommodating to your schedule as much as possible. Great co-workers and supervisors. Could use a better pay scale for part time workers.
best job
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 October 2016
georgian college offers best job and environment for students to deliver best results. working for other students is a job which can be very helpful for future.
Georgian College Athletic Center great facility great learning experience
Athletics Facilities/ Rockwall Guide (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 September 2016
Georgian College Athletic Center was accommodating to my busy school scheduled. Working both the gym and the rock wall was a big learning experience for me.
Pros
Accommodating
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent workplace with various learning resources
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Library10 September 2016
Georgian College is a fun-learning institute. It provides with a lot of opportunities to students such as working with orientation team, student association, peer services for helping students with any course related material. Everyone here gets the opportunity to interact with each other and work collaboratively to achieve the desired results.
Productive and fun atmosphere, re-living campus life each day
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 August 2016
Great place to work. Supports local community in more ways than one can imagine. Advancement opportunities are limited within the permanent positions - being a good place, you will see many staff who have worked here for multiple decades. Hence harder to find new permanent vacancies unless people retire. However, many staff work on contract positions. These positions are very good and in many cases gets extended multiple times based on your performance.
Great place to work, bad place to advance
COORDINATOR, CONFERENCE & EVENT SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 August 2016
Worked here for 3 years. I started out with a maternity leave contract and they kept me on for another 2.5 years after that. I was anxiously awaiting my opportunity to grow with the company. When a full time position became available politics of the college and "who likes who" came into play more than my education and experience. Sad to go, but happy i dont have to work in a toxic work environment anymore.
Pros
good work-life
Cons
politics and cattiness within departments
good
student activites assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 July 2016
good for the international students to have a place to go and get all the information they need. I planned and executed trips for students to Niagara falls and Toronto