GEORGIAN COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Productive and fun atmosphere, re-living campus life each day
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 August 2016
Great place to work. Supports local community in more ways than one can imagine. Advancement opportunities are limited within the permanent positions - being a good place, you will see many staff who have worked here for multiple decades. Hence harder to find new permanent vacancies unless people retire. However, many staff work on contract positions. These positions are very good and in many cases gets extended multiple times based on your performance.
Great place to work, bad place to advance
COORDINATOR, CONFERENCE & EVENT SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 August 2016
Worked here for 3 years. I started out with a maternity leave contract and they kept me on for another 2.5 years after that. I was anxiously awaiting my opportunity to grow with the company. When a full time position became available politics of the college and "who likes who" came into play more than my education and experience. Sad to go, but happy i dont have to work in a toxic work environment anymore.
Pros
good work-life
Cons
politics and cattiness within departments
Excellent workplace with various learning resources
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Library10 September 2016
Georgian College is a fun-learning institute. It provides with a lot of opportunities to students such as working with orientation team, student association, peer services for helping students with any course related material. Everyone here gets the opportunity to interact with each other and work collaboratively to achieve the desired results.
Georgian College Athletic Center great facility great learning experience
Athletics Facilities/ Rockwall Guide (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 September 2016
Georgian College Athletic Center was accommodating to my busy school scheduled. Working both the gym and the rock wall was a big learning experience for me.
Pros
Accommodating
Cons
Not enough hours
best job
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 October 2016
georgian college offers best job and environment for students to deliver best results. working for other students is a job which can be very helpful for future.
Volunteering is ALWAYS the reward for itself.
Engineering Student director (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 October 2012
The position was voluntary, and that was the most rewarding part.
I felt like I was giving back to the college for all the events and fundraisers I volunteered for.

A typical day was weekly meetings of what was going on in the student council and we had to report these to our programs.
Submit monthly reports of what events we had volunteered for and how many hours we submitted for our final honourarium.

What I learned is how much the Student council does to keep colleges/universities running for the student body.

Co-workers were all great, hard working students that wanted to give back to their college.

The most enjoyable part was helping with events.
Pros
a sense of community.
Cons
not much pay.
Excellent opportunity to develop teaching skills
Professor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 April 2016
I was somewhat new to teaching and the in-house staff were brilliant at honing my skills. I was also able to develop innovative new teaching resources while at Georgian.
Pros
Great facility and great management.
Cons
You will work at least 4 hours for every paid hour once you include required online training, grading, readings, etc.
Good Work experence
Adaptive Technologies Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 May 2016
I was able to help the students, as well as finish my assignments. Learned to work along with many divert people. Learned how to use programs that are designed to help people with both minor and major learning challenges.
Pros
Amazing co-workers and studend
Cons
Some times I wasn't able to finish what I was working on.
good
student activites assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 July 2016
good for the international students to have a place to go and get all the information they need. I planned and executed trips for students to Niagara falls and Toronto
Great employer
CLINICAL PLACEMENT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 June 2016
I work as a clinical placement instructor and love every minute of it. Wonderful students and co-workers. Very supportive work environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON11 June 2016
Great place to work, got to workout for free. Was a solid way to make a little bit of money while going to classes. Would Highly recommend
great workplace
Power Engineering Instructor (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound Campus, ON14 April 2016
Challenging and rewarding experiences working with students. Get to work with a multi-million dollar life size simulator that is exacting and demanding, taking students into a real lifelike experience without the danger of making a mistake that could cost real dollars and lives. Very fun.
Pros
Great time
Cons
Not enough hours in a class. lol
A really good place to work
Graphic Designer (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 May 2016
Nice people and interesting design works. I am able to offer a great job on it, that's why we have been worked for three years together. A great opportunity can work with all those people!
Great
VP Administration (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 April 2016
Good work place just to much politics. very friendly people great environment. Everyone is always understanding and helps you learn your job.
Fun place to work
Learning Skills Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 March 2016
Nice management and dealing with a lot of students. Good environment to work for. Has different strategies to solve problems
Comfortable and friendly working environment
Library Commons Navigator (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON23 October 2012
I like talking to new people so i see new students everyday, and when they ask for help regarding the computer's software's and other equipment's, i love it being here.
Pros
good salary
Cons
i can not continue the job after graduation because georgian only hires its studentsle: long hours
Always a learning experiance
accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 December 2015
I was providing support during transitional period in the accounting department. Learning as you go. Enjoyed working with the teaching and support staff. Most employees had a positive attitude towards work trying to make it enjoyable and productive, follow procedures and regulations and those people make going to work a pleasant experience. This position gave me an opportunity to learn the Banner , and PeopleSoft system used by Higher education institution. As well as I have learned about the working environment of Georgian College.
Pros
Good educational experiace
Cons
Poor working environment in the accounting department
Field Placement Student
Campus Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 March 2016
I have learned so much thing being on my placement and applying all my knowledge about Early Childhood Education. I would like to find a job in my field, related to working with children.
Stress free work.
Vise President for Internal Relations (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 February 2014
It was a executive position. The students elect their representatives through voting. I was working for benefits for students.
Pros
No boss and pressure.
Cons
Little pay in the form of honorarium.
Awesome
Professor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 March 2016
Great place to work and be challenged by the future of the industry. Allowed for opportunities I would not have had working in an operation.

4.6