Georgia-Pacific

Georgia-Pacific Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun
mixer man (Former Employee), Caledonia, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: easy going
Cons: job security
productive workplace and hard working that shows results. Every day is challenging with mostly positive results. Management tries to stay positive through these tough times.
Productive team player
Labourer (Former Employee), Englehart, ONMay 1, 2013
- General mill cleanup
- Mill Blowdown
- Cleaning of mill blenders
- Millwright helper
My experience in one location was excellent while the other didn't seem like it was the same company
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Madera, CA & Waxahachie, TXOctober 17, 2014
Pros: in ca strong leadership with motivated employees in a great work enviroment
Cons: many employees had not had pay increases fo multiple years due to the corporate culture
Many of the people I worked with were very competent and a pleasure to work with. The people in California were excellent at their jobs and my direct supervisor was a pleasure to work for. We were a profitable operation in a tough market. The operation in Texas had little in common with the CA operation. Local management seemed only concerned with managing – more... to please their corp. supervisor rather than getting long term results. Some of the upper management at corporate were insulated from the operations and didn't seek input from those with the expertise they lacked. This resulted in poor overall results that should have been much better. – less
MBM
Manager over Electrical Systems (Former Employee), Warrenton, GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: excellant compensation
Cons: un organized
MBM is the culture that I was bought on to believing in with GP. There are very few that truly know and practice these standards within the GP family. It will be some time before I think it will be weaved into the Lumber industry, If ever.
Very good workplace
E/I Technician and Planner (Former Employee), Old Town, MEOctober 15, 2014
Pros: properly funded projects
Cons: company choose to leave the state
This was a very good place to work. The employees seems more like family that co-workers.
Very productive hard working enviroment.
Strapper Operator-Utility (Current Employee), Emporia, VAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: co-workers, unlimited overtime, good pay.
Cons: very strict, no social life, union.
I worked at Plywood Mill in Emporia,VA about 4years now. I worked in Finishing/Shipping department which is probably one of the easiest departments because almost every job involves driving forklift. GP is an OK place to work. Before working there I always heard " GP is the best place to work", "GP people make SO much money". This is not true. GP does – more... pay well but the GP in Emporia is Union so it is one of the lowest paid GP mills in the US. You will work very HARD no matter what you do and because it is union you will only have a weekend off if you are 1st shift. I have co-workers who have worked there 5+ years without a weekend off unless they call out sick. The union and seniority based work environment make it very hard to have a life outside of work. Safety is kind of iffy. The preach SAFETY as it's upmost priority but it all depends on your job and supervisor whether safety or production numbers come first. Management is generally a group of good people because they all came up thru the ranks and co-workers are probably my most enjoyable part of job. The money is good at GP if you live in the surrounding area because we have probably the most highest paid jobs in this area but you will work HARD off for every cent here. I make 14.50/hr and I left my previous job making 11/hr. Honestly I would go back to my other job though because I had a social life. Other than first shift your two days off might be Mon-Tues or Wed-Thurs. Those days aren't bad but it would be nice to have at least one weekend off out the year. You work so hard that sometimes you spend your whole two days off resting. – less
Lead SAP Basis Architect (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2014
Great opportunity to work at GP and got some training there for SAP Basis administration. Also management was encouraging to undertake multiple projects.
Great company, tough industry
Department Superintendent (Current Employee), Warm Springs, GAOctober 12, 2014
Pros: corporate management, benefits are both excellent
Cons: tough industry, experiences at different sites vary greatly
A Koch Industries owned business that strives to operate using the MBM guiding principles
worked on machinery and hydraulics, did a lot of welding.
Millwright (Former Employee), Taylorsville, MSOctober 12, 2014
Pros: learning experience on regular basis.
Cons: materials were not always readably available when needed for repairs.
I enjoyed working on the machinery, hydraulics, lathes, chippers, drag chains, welding and repairing of equipment in general Would love to have the opportunity to do this type of work again..
great pay, dangerous location
coal handler (Former Employee), cedar springs, gaOctober 12, 2014
Pros: chance for advancement
Cons: location and nepotism
georgia pacific as a corporation is great but the acquired cedar springs location could be the black sheep that puts a blackeye to the overall good name and nature of the company. The benefits are great, but never have i experienced such a double standard group of hill billy rednecks that exists from the man beside you to their local hr. only fair chance – more... you have at this location is being next door neighbors or relatives to management. – less
Summer internship, made me never want to work again in pulp and paper industry ever again
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee), Wauna, OROctober 6, 2014
Pros: the pay and thats it
Cons: weird coworkers, commute, early hours, soul crushing internship, made me never want to go to college or work in pulp and paper industry ever
Oh boy, where do I start with this. This was a summer job/internship while I was going to college, studying pulp and paper technology. I worked with a few other people I was going to college. My boss was a bit rude to be honest, and despite being an internship I spent all my time weed eating (about 90 percent of it), and maintaining the grounds. I had – more... the pleasure of working with one of the weirdest people I have ever met. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face every time I worked with him. He was someone I had gone to college for some time, and was really weird and really annoying.

I had to get up at 4:00 am for 5 days a week and drive nearly two hours to get here as well. We did occasionally get pizza, or donuts or food for us. By the end of the summer internship our boss did say we did a good job. Some of the other people we worked with were a bit weird as well, also worked with this really negative, old lesbian chick who i absolutely hated.

For a time I was working full time here and part time somewhere else. On friday I would work 16 hours, I would work at Georgia Pacific for 8 hours, then change and work at my other job for 8 hours. Then work two more days at my other job, not get enough sleep for my monday shift and start all over again.

There was a nearby restaurant that had a big huge burger, I forgot what it was called and it was delicious, that we would sometimes get.

I'm not sure if that locations is still around or not though..

The pay was really good but that was about it. After having worked there I decided after I graduated to never work in the pulp and paper industry ever again.

I also had at the time health issues and personal issues and almost had a couple of mental breakdowns while there as well. Also was tired nearly all the time and downed coffee nearly constantly while I worked there. – less
Great Benefits. Great Pay. Horrible Management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKOctober 4, 2014
Pros: great pay/benefits
Cons: horrible management
Work was easy, pay was great, only downfall you never get ahead unless the management likes you. They say they support military but don't like it when you have to go on military orders. Other than current Management, it is a great place to work.
Very good place to work for most of career but low morale currently.
Sales Director (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: incredibly great training and development opportunities.
Cons: too big - slow to make decisions. very little autonomy.
Georgia Pacific has been a very rewarding place to work. The work/life balance has been consistently good. Compensation and benefits are in the high range for a company this size. I have been able to take advantage of a number of job advancement opportunities throughout my career with reasonable security as well. The management team is very bright and – more... has high expectations of the sales force and we have delivered consistently. The job culture is positive and favorable throughout each level of employment. – less
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Albany, GAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: safety awards
Cons: warehouse temperture
LEARNED HOW TO OPERATE DIFFERENT MACHINES, MANAGEMENT WAS GREAT, ENJOYED WORKING WITH FELLOW EMPLOYEES
great
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Rincon, GAOctober 2, 2014
love the job great place to work for if i dednt have to go overseas i would have been still out there
Overall, A great experience
Process Manager (Current Employee), Santa Teresa, NMOctober 1, 2014
Pros: employee benefits
Cons: none at this time
Great work environment while at the same time, very demanding.
good learning experiance
Safety Clerk (Former Employee), Owosso, MISeptember 30, 2014
Safety Clerk
· Performed general office duties; typed letters, answered phones, and filed
· Utilized Business Vantage Point Navigation software
· Assembled safety manual, updated training matrix, made binders for employees
what a manufacturing company does
Reliability Technician (Former Employee), Owosso, MISeptember 27, 2014
as all maintenance personel know, Maintenance is alot of time away from friends family
pays well
Counter/Stacker/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), La Mirada, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: management conflicts
even though I worked a great amount of hours, the pay is great. the benefits are good too with 401 k company match and insurance packages. some issues with managements having a conflict of interest.
The plant was terrible when I first arrived.
Converting Dept. Supervisor (Former Employee), Dubuque, IASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good empleyees.
Cons: lot of management turnover.
Plant was a turn around plant. Running poorly at first. Losing money every month. After 1 1/2 yrs. it is on track an making money.

1 2 3 4 5

About Georgia-Pacific

What's on Georgia-Pacific's mind? A whole lotta different products, that's what. Georgia-Pacific (GP) is one of the leading tissue – Read more

Georgia-Pacific Photos