George Brown College Employee Reviews

Worked as a Library Assistant to students
Library Commons Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2016
Was a very informative job and was very interesting to be able to teach Microsoft Office and CAD programs to other students
the most enjoyable part of the job
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  200 King St E, Toronto, ON M5A 3W820 October 2015
It was one of those phases where the party night life was getting bigger and hotter due to the many different new music genres coming out. Having to promote and market my own events, being able to manage staff according to the planned ideas the group came up with together as a team. Getting to meet many different types of people. Developing my peoples skills. Building Confident when put in situations. Multicultural
Pros
Free tickets to the events, free meals, mixed with school schedule.
Cons
one year position.
Gained better hand-eye coordination and typing skills.
Peer Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2015
Overall, was a rewarding job due to helping disabled students in the process. Had to listen carefully and type quickly in order to make the best possible notes. Though multi-tasking by listening and typing all the students' questions, teachers' answers, and given notes, had been challenging in the beginning, I soon adapted and was able to enjoy the time spent.
Pros
Listening to and learning new discussions
Cons
Professor did not regard me in the class
During my years of work and study I enjoyed the variety of experience and knowledge which I gained at school as well as at dental offices.
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2015
The faculty staff at George Brown College prepared us for private practice challenges. We were taught to provide the best care for our clients and to devise and implement customized personal treatment plans.
Helping fellow students with their assigned projects and getting compensated for it....best part time job ever!
Laboratory/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunnybrook Hospital8 September 2015
Challenging program, and is completely thorough in its approach to teaching. As a TA you impart the knowledge you learned to the first years. It also helps to reinforce the things you learned while helping them through their projects.
Interactive as well as productive
Financial Aid office as Administrative (Former Employee) –  Toronto14 September 2015
Time and time people often ask, what kind of job you are looking for, often my answer concludes with simple answer, "A place where people begin day with smile and a cup of coffee". A perfect place where things like this happened. Absolutely content.
management
Part time faculty - ECE program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2015
George Brown College is amazing and supportive of it's staff. I welcome all opportunities to be a part of the Early Childhood Education Program.
Pros
great salary, automomy
Cons
part time, no benefits
Professional and easy-going learning environment
Esthetics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2015
- I hold weekly private teaching sessions with students who require extra help with course material
- In this position I patiently listen to students’ difficulties with the course and explain concepts at their pace
- I also provide instruction and assistance with Theoretical and Practical material
- I have learnt to handle different barriers students face and I am able to help assist students with learning disabilities
- The faculty is extremely helpful and have a good sense of community and team work
- The hardest part of this job is when students aren't successful in finding volunteers to practice services on
- The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing students succeed and excel and that my efforts truly helped them
Pros
Helps me keep up to date with esthetic procedures and knowledge
Cons
Pay is low
Fun and great working environment
On-Call Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2015
All colleagues are nice to work with. Everyone help everyone out to over come any issues at work. Managers are nice and sometimes will have little treats.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Schedule changes
Productivity of GBC bookstore
cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto,On11 May 2015
In a typical day I did book stacking and cash and helped other people who were looking for books and also registered and logged the books that just came in to the store. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part is that the store had no management and they were laying people people who had just joined. I learned that if you work in the store where people need help all the time you have to be prepared for any questions they have. the enjoyable part was meeting people and making conversation with them.
Pros
Making money
Interactive job that helps assist students with library and computer inquires
Student Monitor (Former Employee) –  Monitor, AB1 May 2015
I would first check all the printers need paper.
Check each section to make sure chairs were at a computer.
Walk around every 15 minutes to monitor students and to be of help.
Demonstrate the steps of scanning, photocopying and printing.
Management was always available to help and understanding.
My co-workers were awesome, fun to talk to and hard workers.
The hardest part of the job was keeping myself busy.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and helping out students.
Pros
Worked with my school schedule and no weekends.
Cons
Needed more hours.
NA
Director, International (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2015
The organization is going through change. But very slowly. It is very centrally run and all decisions are taken at the top.
Excellent opportunities available to students attending lecture on campus. Flexible hours and good pay.
Student Services Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2015
Offered note taking services for students registered with George Brown College and its ongoing effort to provide accessible learning facilities and services. Responsibilities included providing quality class notes and making sure submissions were legible and made on time.
Good work environment focused on self improvement and helping others
Peer Coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2015
Time was spent helping students manage time and balance personal goals with school/ job goals. This job connected me to lots of peers and faculty involved at George Brown.
Pros
Good hours that worked with school schedule
Educator for ECE students
Faculty and Professor for ECE students (Current Employee) –  Ryerson/ George Brown College - Toronto29 January 2015
I have worked with George Brown College for many years and continue to utilize my skills in teaching. I approach this role with a goal to challenge students thinking and bias when working with children and families in community childcare centres. I work to broaden students awareness of the issues that many families face and to approach children and families with respect and appreciation and focus on their strengths. I work to encourage ECE student to learn from 'those children', who present with challenging behaviours and to think outside the box.
Pros
enjoy role of facilitator, am skillful and approach this role with a unique lens.
Cons
part time, no benefits
Perfect place to retire
Technology Program Manage New Waterfront Campus (Former Employee) –  Toronto28 January 2015
During my time at GBC I was a contractor dealing with the development of a new campus. This gave me plenty of opportunity to expand my practical knowledge and experience. I was part of a small but effective management team with excellent leaders.

General speaking everyone I met and worked with was excellent and i would work with these people again
Pros
Excellent place if you are at management level
Cons
Unionized so not a place to be recognized for outstanding work
It was an exceptional experience
Cashier/ Set up Clerks (Former Employee) –  200 King Street East12 February 2015
The hardest part of this job was add on sales. Getting people to purchased a buyers protection plan for their items was challenging. But it also pushed me over the threshold to be successful. All it took was patience and rehearsal of what I have to say; nevertheless, learning from co-workers was great.
Pros
building long lasting professiona relationship with everyone
Cons
Hours and scheduling
Good workplace for academic development.
Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2015
Enjoy teaching but it could be better if the standard of students could be higher (which is possible only at university level).
Pros
Free Training for Development
Cons
Difficult to raise the standard further because of students' limitations.
Proudctive and interesting
Peer Notetaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2014
A typical 2 or 3hrs on the job is taking notes for students who have challenges and cannot take notes, whether or not it's a disability or an inability to accurately understand. It is very rewarding as I am providing assistance to persons who need it. I learn new and helpful things in some of the classes and I have found all of them so far to be interesting. I work on my own, there's no manager - my schedule is known and I take my responsibilities seriously. Notes are always provided in the 24hours stipulated time period.
Pros
Abiltiy to learn other subjects not offered in my course, sometimes they are very interesting and sometimes they are helpful
Had fun and made lots of friends in this workplace.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2014
I helped students who had problems with math.
I learnt most office procedures while I was working at George Brown College. This work experience had helped me improve my communication skills, both verbal and written.
Most of my co-workers are very nice and friendly. We worked together and helped with each other when we had a difficult questions.
Most hardest part of this job is when the students are very upset and lost their confidence. I had to help them get out of this bad situations.
We had a semi-meeting which was the most enjoyable part of this job. From the meeting, all of the tutors get together, discuss and learn new skills of dealing with people.

4.3