George Brown College

George Brown College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work if you live downtown.
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
Good group of people who have worked there for many years. Would work there again if not for the commute.
College institution, excellent environment
Financial Services / Student Tutor-Advisor / CSR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: get along with young students
Cons: few hours
Tutoring and couching students while studying postgraduate diploma. Excellent experience.
Great Place To Work
Computerized Note Taker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
Work as an independent employee. Self-managed. Great Co-workers. Great opportunity to sit in classes and learn while working.
Good experince
AutoCAD 2D-3D - Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: no cons
Provided George Brown College continuing education with AutoCAD tutoring/ teaching services for adults (engineers, architects, tec.)
Fast Paced Work Environment
Administrative Assistant to Operations Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Fast Paced, Friendly working environemnt.
Lots of information to learn and retain. Working with different individuals and personality types
Based on creative writing, creating a newspaper with a team
Dialog writer (Current Employee), TorontoFebruary 2, 2013
I started to write in the college newspaper. I work with a team, everyone has a different topic to write. I generally write about art/life/culture. I'm recently working as a volunteer.
Filing & data entry
Office Clerk (Former Employee), TORONTOJanuary 27, 2013
I was only allowed to work 15 hours/week
I learned so many areas of office work such as filing (in alphabetical order), enter students' info onto one of the school computer system
The skills I gained from this job - organizational skill, communication skill, and time-management skill.
The hardest part of the job - put the document in alphabetical order – more... according to the students' last name
The most enjoyable part of the job - to meet different staff members in financial department and gain some office experience. – less
As Professor I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary students.
Professor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
As a professor in George Brown community college, I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary student categories. The programs were funded by Canadian Government for youth with difficulties and challenges. The other program was adult education – Immigrants. The target was community development.

This – more... role required an amalgamation of communucation and leadership skills for the diverse and often challenging students for the purposes of their better psychological health in the society.

I worked with youth from low income families, physically and mentally challenged, addicted, troubled families, split and dis-functional social setups, because of which they were not able to pursue their education as normal students from normal families. These students needed special coaching, confidence building techniques, encouragement, support and constant motivation from someone they can trust. These youth are our future and to help them achieve their basic Grade 12th English and Math levels for their acceptance into vocational colleges was the key role. This would help them get better trained and get them some worthwhile job. This would keep them away from social evils, drugs etc. all these combined would improve society and community health. This program was crucial to the public health and helped a lot of youth.

The other sector were adults – new immigrants (additions to community), who came from diverse socio-cultural backgrounds, languages, faiths, beliefs, ages, sexual orientation, health conditions, physical and mental drawbacks. I had to focus my leadership and training to improve the quality of enviornment and keep them psychologically motivated to achieve educational results for their success in being accepted in society.

Communicating with different styles, i taught them English Language (reading, writing and speaking), Math skills, Report writing, exam preparation, making presentations etc. to achieve a literate level in North American Society.

The Goal to be attained was to build a community, by sharing knowledge and experiences. I attained these strategic goals by using tools such as leadership, communication and expertise for the mental and psychological health and development of community at large. – less
Experienced personell
Peer Tutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2013
nice place to work with lots of fun staff
easy to get into your job
nice peers
Awesome teaching experience
Professor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: ability to teach
I have always loved teaching because of the ability to exchange ideas and educate the younger generation who are the leaders of tomorrow.

In George Brown, in addition to teaching, I was also opportune to assist with updating the Mathematics text book for Basic Maths program in the Hospitality department.
Upbeat, fast paced work environment.
Restorative Dental Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: fun to share knowledge with others. conversing with students and fellow team members.
Cons: hectic at times.
Sharing knowledge and teaching students new clinical skills. Learned to speak in front of a lot of students. Enjoyed working with team members. Well managed. Hardest part was trying to get to each individual student in a timely fashion in order for them to carry on with procedures. Enjoyable part was working in an educational setting...teaching, demonstrating – more... and testing. – less
Fun Workplace and suitable for my schedule
Peer Notetaker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2012
- Attend and take notes in lectures as allocated by the Disability Advice Assistant
- Learned to work in a fast paced environment, listen and pay attention to detail
- Management works to provide a safe and well balanced work environment
- most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to sit in other classes and there is always something new to learn
A place to make mistakes
Web designer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2012
This job required an outcome and it gave me freedom to make mistakes. I worked in a team of three. We communicated with each other but otherwise had no fixed schedule. The project was done on time and I had a great experience using the full suite of Microsoft Internet Development platforms. It was the most up to date software at that time.
dysfunctional organization
former employee (Former Employee), TorontoNovember 25, 2012
Pros: salary
Cons: rigid managers, petty politics and ego games
Stay away from this place. This job is not what it is appears to be. They are just on a fishing expedition now and aren't really hiring.
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Duties (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2012
I have thoroughly enjoyed every position ever obtained at George Brown College. Great staff makes for a friendly and productive environment.
I use to cell TTC subay tickets to the college students
TTC sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto,onOctober 12, 2012
Pros: free passes
Cons: we work on weekends too
Presently doing Part time job in Gerogr brown college as a TTC sales Representative .
every six month
Cleaner(striping,waxing,carpet cleaning) (Former Employee), 300 addleait,tor,ontSeptember 29, 2012
weekend working, learning about my coworkers,and good friendship work, good attitude management,i take all the work like easy mind,i finish my all job that my enjoy.
Great co-worker and manager communication
Lab monitor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2012
Great working clean environment, with great co-worker communication. The responsibilities of each co-worker was clearly with a great teamwork ethic.
Place with a supporting staff and creating learning opportunities at each stage
Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2012
Pros: good salary, supporting staff, well reputed
Cons: mostly the jobs are part time
My typical day the work was when I started teaching in George Brown. It was a completely new environment for me to handle such a big diverse group in the classroom. There were different kinds of students, the students from different places, culture and with different backgrounds. They were not even interested in talking to one another. So It was hard – more... for me to involve them in group activities. So What I did, I palnned an icebreaker, during which each student was supposed to go and meet atleast 5 people in the class and collect the information about their place, interests, and something interesting in their culture.
I was so happy after this because it gave a lot of loving atmosphere in the class and durung the end of teh semester, my students came to my office and thank me for creating such a friendly and loving atmosphere in the class. They all passed my course with good grades. From this I learned, a classroom could be great and teaching would be enjoyable if your students are intersted in listening to you. My management and coworkers also appreciated me on handling such a diverse group

The most enjoybale part for me would be the day when we were performing group discussions and open discussions of specific topic. It gives a lot of lot of reasons to a professor to solve the doubts that the new generation wants to solve about current issues or topics. – less
Great Job Experience
Ryerson Campus Director (Former Employee), Student AssociationJuly 20, 2012
Pros: free dinners, trips to ottawa, flexible schedule.
Cons: on the clock all day, everyday.
Working for George Brown College provided me with the opportunity to meet new people everyday from our school and different schools across Canada. Working for them I was also given the opportunity to go to Leadership Academy and successfully receive my certificate. Very friendly and helpful environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to – more... National meetings in Ottawa, and being able to make new friends across Canada. The hardest part about the job was maintaining contact with other employees who were not serious about their jobs, and made it difficult to stay in contact. – less