George Brown College

George Brown College Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great, loved it
Tutor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: information, challenges, communtiy, success
Cons: restrictions for our imagination
A typical day at school included about eight to sixteen hours of computer time with the design. Right after we got the idea we sat down to talk about the group itself. We all listed what we have experienced during the previous semesters and we did the SWAT analysis. We had another separate meeting where we spoke about the design and than we assigned – more... the parts that someone was responsible for.
I learned to set up the drawings, to analyse the psychology and sociology behind, to apply the LEED or other environmentally sound systems, to apply the human needs and biology for the design, the measurements, to find and apply the information in the Ontario Building Code. To find the city's requirements and to submit papers to the city. I learned to adjust the drawings to the changing needs. I learned to use CAD and Revit as a tool for my imagination. I learned that deadlines are my friends and they help me keep track of my work, and I learned to work under extreme pressure. I also learned to listen to the client's needs and to speak architecturally. I learned to be patient, adjustable, and dependent.
The management was our professors who gave us maximum liberty and therefore we learned everything from various other sources.
My co-workers were excellent people who needed some adjustment and they felt the same about me. We successfully completed all the tasks we got and we became friends. The "lifelong" precursor is being tested these days.
The hardest part of the job was when we needed to adjust the drawings right before the deadline and the computer gave up on us. We needed to mobilize our social capital and go to a different school to complete everything.
The most enjoyable part was the design itself with all its challenges and complications. The process was long and interesting with a lot of curves in it but taking a look at our models just now: it is priceless. – less
An awesome place to work!
Peer Note Taker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2013
George Brown College is an awesome place to study and work! I was working on campus while being a student at George Brown College, the job as Peer Note Taker gave me the opportunity to understand how do schools other than Business school work especially the school of design and the school of community services. The Professors teaching styles and class – more... room environments all were different my school. I enjoyed my work there! – less
Nice to share my knowledge with students.
Student Tutor-Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2013
Great experience to help students with advice and support for them to reach their goals.
It was nice also volunteering to promote college services.
volunteer position
Co-Chair Parent Advisory Committee (Former Employee), Toronto, OnNovember 12, 2013
Pros: lots of great meetings
Cons: takes a long time for things to get done
we got a lot of positive things done for parents including a fences in area
Great environment to work.
ITS - Client Services (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2013
Pros: tons of learning potential
Cons: not many job postings
Many new technologies are being used and always something to learn.
Elected as "TEAM LEADER (Current Employee), Leader, SKOctober 26, 2013
Great college- professors are very helpful, they helped me from the start right till the end
Friendly and fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: bad pay
It's a very tight community where everyone is interactive; management is easy going and co-workers are like family. The hardest part of the job is dealing with frustrated students who are impantient and sometimes, verbally abusive. The most enjoyable part of the job is being helpful and putting nervous students especially first years at ease.
Co-op Office (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2013
Pros: free gym access
Cons: washrooms
I learned a lot about human resources and recruitment, and how to maintain professional business contacts. Supportive environment
Good place to learn new technologies
Cubicle Research and Development project (Former Employee), toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2013
I worked in a team for project. It was good way of learning new things by sharing each other's skills. Allocating different responsibilities to each member also brings sense of commitment towards the project's success.
Project Manager & Project Analysis (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2013
Working with numerous different projects - it was never a boring day. Great management and fun place to be around. Always something new.
Fun school activity participation
Front line support staff for Student Association (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2013
Pros: lots of fun activities
Cons: could not extend my contract
The people were great the workj was great, I learnt alot about food banks and LGBT/womens groups
Great people and good college
Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2013
Pros: great salary
Cons: part time
I enjoy working with the students and motivate them to go further in life by educating themselves and looking for the positive in everything
Productive work place
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2013
Pros: good work
Cons: salary
A good place to network and help students. Besides creating a good portfolio and ample opportunities to expand horizon.
Interesting Teaching sessions
Tutor - Accounting (Former Employee), 200 King St EJuly 9, 2013
Individual and group teaching sessions
intense during exam periods
Great place to work if you live downtown.
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
Good group of people who have worked there for many years. Would work there again if not for the commute.
College institution, excellent environment
Financial Services / Student Tutor-Advisor / CSR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: get along with young students
Cons: few hours
Tutoring and couching students while studying postgraduate diploma. Excellent experience.
Great Place To Work
Computerized Note Taker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
Work as an independent employee. Self-managed. Great Co-workers. Great opportunity to sit in classes and learn while working.
Good experince
AutoCAD 2D-3D - Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: no cons
Provided George Brown College continuing education with AutoCAD tutoring/ teaching services for adults (engineers, architects, tec.)
Fast Paced Work Environment
Administrative Assistant to Operations Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Fast Paced, Friendly working environemnt.
Lots of information to learn and retain. Working with different individuals and personality types
Based on creative writing, creating a newspaper with a team
Dialog writer (Current Employee), TorontoFebruary 2, 2013
I started to write in the college newspaper. I work with a team, everyone has a different topic to write. I generally write about art/life/culture. I'm recently working as a volunteer.