George Brown College

George Brown College Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Elected as "TEAM LEADER (Current Employee), Leader, SKOctober 26, 2013
Great college- professors are very helpful, they helped me from the start right till the end
Friendly and fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: bad pay
It's a very tight community where everyone is interactive; management is easy going and co-workers are like family. The hardest part of the job is dealing with frustrated students who are impantient and sometimes, verbally abusive. The most enjoyable part of the job is being helpful and putting nervous students especially first years at ease.
Co-op Office (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2013
Pros: free gym access
Cons: washrooms
I learned a lot about human resources and recruitment, and how to maintain professional business contacts. Supportive environment
Good place to learn new technologies
Cubicle Research and Development project (Former Employee), toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2013
I worked in a team for project. It was good way of learning new things by sharing each other's skills. Allocating different responsibilities to each member also brings sense of commitment towards the project's success.
Project Manager & Project Analysis (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2013
Working with numerous different projects - it was never a boring day. Great management and fun place to be around. Always something new.
Fun school activity participation
Front line support staff for Student Association (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2013
Pros: lots of fun activities
Cons: could not extend my contract
The people were great the workj was great, I learnt alot about food banks and LGBT/womens groups
Great people and good college
Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2013
Pros: great salary
Cons: part time
I enjoy working with the students and motivate them to go further in life by educating themselves and looking for the positive in everything
Productive work place
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2013
Pros: good work
Cons: salary
A good place to network and help students. Besides creating a good portfolio and ample opportunities to expand horizon.
Interesting Teaching sessions
Tutor - Accounting (Former Employee), 200 King St EJuly 9, 2013
Individual and group teaching sessions
intense during exam periods
Great place to work if you live downtown.
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
Good group of people who have worked there for many years. Would work there again if not for the commute.
College institution, excellent environment
Financial Services / Student Tutor-Advisor / CSR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: get along with young students
Cons: few hours
Tutoring and couching students while studying postgraduate diploma. Excellent experience.
Great Place To Work
Computerized Note Taker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
Work as an independent employee. Self-managed. Great Co-workers. Great opportunity to sit in classes and learn while working.
Good experince
AutoCAD 2D-3D - Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: no cons
Provided George Brown College continuing education with AutoCAD tutoring/ teaching services for adults (engineers, architects, tec.)
Fast Paced Work Environment
Administrative Assistant to Operations Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Fast Paced, Friendly working environemnt.
Lots of information to learn and retain. Working with different individuals and personality types
Based on creative writing, creating a newspaper with a team
Dialog writer (Current Employee), TorontoFebruary 2, 2013
I started to write in the college newspaper. I work with a team, everyone has a different topic to write. I generally write about art/life/culture. I'm recently working as a volunteer.
Filing & data entry
Office Clerk (Former Employee), TORONTOJanuary 27, 2013
I was only allowed to work 15 hours/week
I learned so many areas of office work such as filing (in alphabetical order), enter students' info onto one of the school computer system
The skills I gained from this job - organizational skill, communication skill, and time-management skill.
The hardest part of the job - put the document in alphabetical order – more... according to the students' last name
The most enjoyable part of the job - to meet different staff members in financial department and gain some office experience. – less
As Professor I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary students.
Professor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
As a professor in George Brown community college, I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary student categories. The programs were funded by Canadian Government for youth with difficulties and challenges. The other program was adult education – Immigrants. The target was community development.

This – more... role required an amalgamation of communucation and leadership skills for the diverse and often challenging students for the purposes of their better psychological health in the society.

I worked with youth from low income families, physically and mentally challenged, addicted, troubled families, split and dis-functional social setups, because of which they were not able to pursue their education as normal students from normal families. These students needed special coaching, confidence building techniques, encouragement, support and constant motivation from someone they can trust. These youth are our future and to help them achieve their basic Grade 12th English and Math levels for their acceptance into vocational colleges was the key role. This would help them get better trained and get them some worthwhile job. This would keep them away from social evils, drugs etc. all these combined would improve society and community health. This program was crucial to the public health and helped a lot of youth.

The other sector were adults – new immigrants (additions to community), who came from diverse socio-cultural backgrounds, languages, faiths, beliefs, ages, sexual orientation, health conditions, physical and mental drawbacks. I had to focus my leadership and training to improve the quality of enviornment and keep them psychologically motivated to achieve educational results for their success in being accepted in society.

Communicating with different styles, i taught them English Language (reading, writing and speaking), Math skills, Report writing, exam preparation, making presentations etc. to achieve a literate level in North American Society.

The Goal to be attained was to build a community, by sharing knowledge and experiences. I attained these strategic goals by using tools such as leadership, communication and expertise for the mental and psychological health and development of community at large. – less
Experienced personell
Peer Tutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2013
nice place to work with lots of fun staff
easy to get into your job
nice peers
Awesome teaching experience
Professor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: ability to teach
I have always loved teaching because of the ability to exchange ideas and educate the younger generation who are the leaders of tomorrow.

In George Brown, in addition to teaching, I was also opportune to assist with updating the Mathematics text book for Basic Maths program in the Hospitality department.
Upbeat, fast paced work environment.
Restorative Dental Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: fun to share knowledge with others. conversing with students and fellow team members.
Cons: hectic at times.
Sharing knowledge and teaching students new clinical skills. Learned to speak in front of a lot of students. Enjoyed working with team members. Well managed. Hardest part was trying to get to each individual student in a timely fashion in order for them to carry on with procedures. Enjoyable part was working in an educational setting...teaching, demonstrating – more... and testing. – less