George Brown College Employee Reviews in Canada

Gained better hand-eye coordination and typing skills.
Peer Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Overall, was a rewarding job due to helping disabled students in the process. Had to listen carefully and type quickly in order to make the best possible notes. Though multi-tasking by listening and typing all the students' questions, teachers' answers, and given notes, had been challenging in the beginning, I soon adapted and was able to enjoy the time spent.
Pros
Listening to and learning new discussions
Cons
Professor did not regard me in the class
Interactive job that helps assist students with library and computer inquires
Student Monitor (Former Employee) –  Monitor, ABMay 1, 2015
I would first check all the printers need paper.
Check each section to make sure chairs were at a computer.
Walk around every 15 minutes to monitor students and to be of help.
Demonstrate the steps of scanning, photocopying and printing.
Management was always available to help and understanding.
My co-workers were awesome, fun to talk to and hard workers.
The hardest part of the job was keeping myself busy.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and helping out students.
Pros
Worked with my school schedule and no weekends.
Cons
Needed more hours.
NA
Director, International (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
The organization is going through change. But very slowly. It is very centrally run and all decisions are taken at the top.
Great Place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 9, 2015
Fun and cool place to work. Lots to learn every day. Good management. Excited to be there every morning. Good supervisors to work with.
Pros
Flexible working style
Cons
pay is less
Professional and easy-going learning environment
Esthetics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2015
- I hold weekly private teaching sessions with students who require extra help with course material
- In this position I patiently listen to students’ difficulties with the course and explain concepts at their pace
- I also provide instruction and assistance with Theoretical and Practical material
- I have learnt to handle different barriers students face and I am able to help assist students with learning disabilities
- The faculty is extremely helpful and have a good sense of community and team work
- The hardest part of this job is when students aren't successful in finding volunteers to practice services on
- The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing students succeed and excel and that my efforts truly helped them
Pros
Helps me keep up to date with esthetic procedures and knowledge
Cons
Pay is low
Helping fellow students with their assigned projects and getting compensated for it....best part time job ever!
Laboratory/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunnybrook HospitalSeptember 8, 2015
Challenging program, and is completely thorough in its approach to teaching. As a TA you impart the knowledge you learned to the first years. It also helps to reinforce the things you learned while helping them through their projects.
During my years of work and study I enjoyed the variety of experience and knowledge which I gained at school as well as at dental offices.
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2015
The faculty staff at George Brown College prepared us for private practice challenges. We were taught to provide the best care for our clients and to devise and implement customized personal treatment plans.
Interactive as well as productive
Financial Aid office as Administrative (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 14, 2015
Time and time people often ask, what kind of job you are looking for, often my answer concludes with simple answer, "A place where people begin day with smile and a cup of coffee". A perfect place where things like this happened. Absolutely content.
Fun and great working environment
On-Call Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
All colleagues are nice to work with. Everyone help everyone out to over come any issues at work. Managers are nice and sometimes will have little treats.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Schedule changes
Educator for ECE students
Faculty and Professor for ECE students (Current Employee) –  Ryerson/ George Brown College - TorontoJanuary 29, 2015
I have worked with George Brown College for many years and continue to utilize my skills in teaching. I approach this role with a goal to challenge students thinking and bias when working with children and families in community childcare centres. I work to broaden students awareness of the issues that many families face and to approach children and families with respect and appreciation and focus on their strengths. I work to encourage ECE student to learn from 'those children', who present with challenging behaviours and to think outside the box.
Pros
enjoy role of facilitator, am skillful and approach this role with a unique lens.
Cons
part time, no benefits
Very good management
Computer lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2015
I liked working for George Brown College library.
Great management, great communication between staff/management.
Pros
Lab monitor
Perfect place to retire
Technology Program Manage New Waterfront Campus (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 28, 2015
During my time at GBC I was a contractor dealing with the development of a new campus. This gave me plenty of opportunity to expand my practical knowledge and experience. I was part of a small but effective management team with excellent leaders.

General speaking everyone I met and worked with was excellent and i would work with these people again
Pros
excellent place if you are at management level
Cons
unionized so not a place to be recognized for outstanding work
competitive and productive workplace
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2014
A typical day at work is very competitive, trying to get as many clients as possible. The management is well organised. we have atleast one training every month. Also, my coworkers are very cooperative helping each other in difficulties. Especially, when one member cannot make it, others step up to cover up.
Great school fo learning
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2015
* Learn a lot with great teachers and tools
* Great platform of interaction teacher-student
* Great tools to help enhance skills sets
Productive relaxing workplace
Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2015
Open hours are cut and dry.
Environment is constantly trying to adapt to changes in technology.
Moving up is difficult due to a lot of competition and changing requirements.
Great team and manager
Liaison and Student Recruiter Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Long hours.
But great benefits.
Union enviroment.
People and coworkers make the job fun.
Great working environment
Safewalk Captain (Current Employee) –  Welcome deskOctober 23, 2014
A typical day at work is fun. working at the school allows you to interact with people from numerous cultures and background. Management provides the best resources to make our job easier and more effect to reach the students, staffs and visitors.
Computer Systems Technology Diploma
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2014
This three-year program is designed with extensive input from industry and offers two optional specializations in its third year. The Networking specialization focuses on network security, voice-over-IP (VoIP) and wireless LANs. The Systems specialization focuses on mail server administration, content management systems (Collaboration), database administration and computer security. Both specializations include core courses on infrastructure virtualization (through the VMWare IT Academy), along with best practices in IT.
Place with a supporting staff and creating learning opportunities at each stage
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2012
My typical day the work was when I started teaching in George Brown. It was a completely new environment for me to handle such a big diverse group in the classroom. There were different kinds of students, the students from different places, culture and with different backgrounds. They were not even interested in talking to one another. So It was hard for me to involve them in group activities. So What I did, I palnned an icebreaker, during which each student was supposed to go and meet atleast 5 people in the class and collect the information about their place, interests, and something interesting in their culture.
I was so happy after this because it gave a lot of loving atmosphere in the class and durung the end of teh semester, my students came to my office and thank me for creating such a friendly and loving atmosphere in the class. They all passed my course with good grades. From this I learned, a classroom could be great and teaching would be enjoyable if your students are intersted in listening to you. My management and coworkers also appreciated me on handling such a diverse group

The most enjoybale part for me would be the day when we were performing group discussions and open discussions of specific topic. It gives a lot of lot of reasons to a professor to solve the doubts that the new generation wants to solve about current issues or topics.
Pros
good salary, supporting staff, well reputed
Cons
mostly the jobs are part time
Amazing place to work
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2015
An absolutely incredible place to work. The team was incredibly supportive, helpful and compassionate. If not for my relocating I would've loved to have stayed with George Brown College for a very long time.

4.3