George Brown College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
As Professor I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary students.
Professor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2013
As a professor in George Brown community college, I had to demonstrate efficient and effective leadership to be able to work with out of ordinary student categories. The programs were funded by Canadian Government for youth with difficulties and challenges. The other program was adult education – Immigrants. The target was community development.

This role required an amalgamation of communucation and leadership skills for the diverse and often challenging students for the purposes of their better psychological health in the society.

I worked with youth from low income families, physically and mentally challenged, addicted, troubled families, split and dis-functional social setups, because of which they were not able to pursue their education as normal students from normal families. These students needed special coaching, confidence building techniques, encouragement, support and constant motivation from someone they can trust. These youth are our future and to help them achieve their basic Grade 12th English and Math levels for their acceptance into vocational colleges was the key role. This would help them get better trained and get them some worthwhile job. This would keep them away from social evils, drugs etc. all these combined would improve society and community health. This program was crucial to the public health and helped a lot of youth.

The other sector were adults – new immigrants (additions to community), who came from diverse socio-cultural backgrounds, languages, faiths, beliefs, ages, sexual orientation, health conditions, physical and mental drawbacks. I – more... had to focus my leadership and training to improve the quality of enviornment and keep them psychologically motivated to achieve educational results for their success in being accepted in society.

Communicating with different styles, i taught them English Language (reading, writing and speaking), Math skills, Report writing, exam preparation, making presentations etc. to achieve a literate level in North American Society.

The Goal to be attained was to build a community, by sharing knowledge and experiences. I attained these strategic goals by using tools such as leadership, communication and expertise for the mental and psychological health and development of community at large. – less
great, loved it
Tutor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: information, challenges, communtiy, success
Cons: restrictions for our imagination
A typical day at school included about eight to sixteen hours of computer time with the design. Right after we got the idea we sat down to talk about the group itself. We all listed what we have experienced during the previous semesters and we did the SWAT analysis. We had another separate meeting where we spoke about the design and than we assigned the parts that someone was responsible for.
I learned to set up the drawings, to analyse the psychology and sociology behind, to apply the LEED or other environmentally sound systems, to apply the human needs and biology for the design, the measurements, to find and apply the information in the Ontario Building Code. To find the city's requirements and to submit papers to the city. I learned to adjust the drawings to the changing needs. I learned to use CAD and Revit as a tool for my imagination. I learned that deadlines are my friends and they help me keep track of my work, and I learned to work under extreme pressure. I also learned to listen to the client's needs and to speak architecturally. I learned to be patient, adjustable, and dependent.
The management was our professors who gave us maximum liberty and therefore we learned everything from various other sources.
My co-workers were excellent people who needed some adjustment and they felt the same about me. We successfully completed all the tasks we got and we became friends. The "lifelong" precursor is being tested these days.
The hardest part of the job was when we needed to adjust the drawings right before the deadline and the computer gave up on us. We needed to mobilize – more... our social capital and go to a different school to complete everything.
The most enjoyable part was the design itself with all its challenges and complications. The process was long and interesting with a lot of curves in it but taking a look at our models just now: it is priceless. – less
Place with a supporting staff and creating learning opportunities at each stage
Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2012
Pros: good salary, supporting staff, well reputed
Cons: mostly the jobs are part time
My typical day the work was when I started teaching in George Brown. It was a completely new environment for me to handle such a big diverse group in the classroom. There were different kinds of students, the students from different places, culture and with different backgrounds. They were not even interested in talking to one another. So It was hard for me to involve them in group activities. So What I did, I palnned an icebreaker, during which each student was supposed to go and meet atleast 5 people in the class and collect the information about their place, interests, and something interesting in their culture.
I was so happy after this because it gave a lot of loving atmosphere in the class and durung the end of teh semester, my students came to my office and thank me for creating such a friendly and loving atmosphere in the class. They all passed my course with good grades. From this I learned, a classroom could be great and teaching would be enjoyable if your students are intersted in listening to you. My management and coworkers also appreciated me on handling such a diverse group

The most enjoybale part for me would be the day when we were performing group discussions and open discussions of specific topic. It gives a lot of lot of reasons to a professor to solve the doubts that the new generation wants to solve about current issues or topics.
Professional and easy-going learning environment
Esthetics Tutor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 27, 2015
Pros: Helps me keep up to date with esthetic procedures and knowledge
Cons: Pay is low
- I hold weekly private teaching sessions with students who require extra help with course material
- In this position I patiently listen to students’ difficulties with the course and explain concepts at their pace
- I also provide instruction and assistance with Theoretical and Practical material
- I have learnt to handle different barriers students face and I am able to help assist students with learning disabilities
- The faculty is extremely helpful and have a good sense of community and team work
- The hardest part of this job is when students aren't successful in finding volunteers to practice services on
- The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing students succeed and excel and that my efforts truly helped them
An environment of academic nurishment
Peer Assistant Learning Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
Pros: the learning environment
Cons: micro-managing environment
A typical day at the PAL Centre was challenging but rewarding. I have learned a lot about self and time management and built up my engagement skills. My manager was so passionate about what she did and we developed the same passion. My co-workers were all very hard working and all enjoyed helping fellow students in need and tried their best to accommodate. The hardest part of the job was convincing students to utilize all of the resources in the college, most students are full of pride and think they can do it all by their selves. The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning, I learned so much!
Great Job Experience
Ryerson Campus Director (Former Employee), Student AssociationJuly 20, 2012
Pros: free dinners, trips to ottawa, flexible schedule.
Cons: on the clock all day, everyday.
Working for George Brown College provided me with the opportunity to meet new people everyday from our school and different schools across Canada. Working for them I was also given the opportunity to go to Leadership Academy and successfully receive my certificate. Very friendly and helpful environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to National meetings in Ottawa, and being able to make new friends across Canada. The hardest part about the job was maintaining contact with other employees who were not serious about their jobs, and made it difficult to stay in contact.
Had fun and made lots of friends in this workplace.
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 13, 2014
I helped students who had problems with math.
I learnt most office procedures while I was working at George Brown College. This work experience had helped me improve my communication skills, both verbal and written.
Most of my co-workers are very nice and friendly. We worked together and helped with each other when we had a difficult questions.
Most hardest part of this job is when the students are very upset and lost their confidence. I had to help them get out of this bad situations.
We had a semi-meeting which was the most enjoyable part of this job. From the meeting, all of the tutors get together, discuss and learn new skills of dealing with people.
George Brown is a Great place to work
3D Printing Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2014
Pros: hands on experience with a 3d printer and extra practice with cad programs
Cons: not enough work hours.
I was in charge of 3D printing for the entirety of the T146 program, and although i only had to work about 10 hours a week (due to other classes i was taking and study requirements) I feel the time I spent working for them was incredibly enjoyable and fulfilling. I had to ensure the students didn't exceed a specific volume requirement of material and in doing so i was also required to assist with redesigns of particularly large models. Then i would simply print the components and troubleshoot the printer if anything went wrong.
Proudctive and interesting
Peer Notetaker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 15, 2014
Pros: abiltiy to learn other subjects not offered in my course, sometimes they are very interesting and sometimes they are helpful
A typical 2 or 3hrs on the job is taking notes for students who have challenges and cannot take notes, whether or not it's a disability or an inability to accurately understand. It is very rewarding as I am providing assistance to persons who need it. I learn new and helpful things in some of the classes and I have found all of them so far to be interesting. I work on my own, there's no manager - my schedule is known and I take my responsibilities seriously. Notes are always provided in the 24hours stipulated time period.
it's fun and diverse place to work at
support staff for CWTP (Former Employee), torontoMarch 11, 2014
Pros: free refreshments during movie nights/days
Cons: not enough hours due to being a student and we are only allowed to have certain amount of hours
Students would come in asking about the centre and we would answer their questions or give them pamphlets for whatever they were asking. For example. If they want answers about other women centre in Toronto we would get a pamphlet for different kind of centres around Toronto. There are days when students would just come in to have a safe space for the time being while at school. We would do movie nights or sometimes in the afternoon. We would have speakers come in about women issues.
Interactive job that helps assist students with library and computer inquires
Student Monitor (Former Employee), Monitor, ABMay 1, 2015
Pros: Worked with my school schedule and no weekends.
Cons: Needed more hours.
I would first check all the printers need paper.
Check each section to make sure chairs were at a computer.
Walk around every 15 minutes to monitor students and to be of help.
Demonstrate the steps of scanning, photocopying and printing.
Management was always available to help and understanding.
My co-workers were awesome, fun to talk to and hard workers.
The hardest part of the job was keeping myself busy.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and helping out students.
Educator for ECE students
Faculty and Professor for ECE students (Current Employee), Ryerson/ George Brown College - TorontoJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: enjoy role of facilitator, am skillful and approach this role with a unique lens.
Cons: part time, no benefits
I have worked with George Brown College for many years and continue to utilize my skills in teaching. I approach this role with a goal to challenge students thinking and bias when working with children and families in community childcare centres. I work to broaden students awareness of the issues that many families face and to approach children and families with respect and appreciation and focus on their strengths. I work to encourage ECE student to learn from 'those children', who present with challenging behaviours and to think outside the box.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Events Coordinator (Former Employee), 200 King St E, Toronto, ON M5A 3W8October 20, 2015
Pros: Free tickets to the events, free meals, mixed with school schedule.
Cons: one year position.
It was one of those phases where the party night life was getting bigger and hotter due to the many different new music genres coming out. Having to promote and market my own events, being able to manage staff according to the planned ideas the group came up with together as a team. Getting to meet many different types of people. Developing my peoples skills. Building Confident when put in situations. Multicultural
Perfect place to retire
Technology Program Manage New Waterfront Campus (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: excellent place if you are at management level
Cons: unionized so not a place to be recognized for outstanding work
During my time at GBC I was a contractor dealing with the development of a new campus. This gave me plenty of opportunity to expand my practical knowledge and experience. I was part of a small but effective management team with excellent leaders.

General speaking everyone I met and worked with was excellent and i would work with these people again
Gained better hand-eye coordination and typing skills.
Peer Notetaker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Listening to and learning new discussions
Cons: Professor did not regard me in the class
Overall, was a rewarding job due to helping disabled students in the process. Had to listen carefully and type quickly in order to make the best possible notes. Though multi-tasking by listening and typing all the students' questions, teachers' answers, and given notes, had been challenging in the beginning, I soon adapted and was able to enjoy the time spent.
Filing & data entry
Office Clerk (Former Employee), TORONTOJanuary 27, 2013
I was only allowed to work 15 hours/week
I learned so many areas of office work such as filing (in alphabetical order), enter students' info onto one of the school computer system
The skills I gained from this job - organizational skill, communication skill, and time-management skill.
The hardest part of the job - put the document in alphabetical order according to the students' last name
The most enjoyable part of the job - to meet different staff members in financial department and gain some office experience.
Upbeat, fast paced work environment.
Restorative Dental Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: fun to share knowledge with others. conversing with students and fellow team members.
Cons: hectic at times.
Sharing knowledge and teaching students new clinical skills. Learned to speak in front of a lot of students. Enjoyed working with team members. Well managed. Hardest part was trying to get to each individual student in a timely fashion in order for them to carry on with procedures. Enjoyable part was working in an educational setting...teaching, demonstrating and testing.
Great school/work balance
Event Staff, Athletic Department Ambassador (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
Pros: doing homework while working
Cons: travel time
Being a student-athlete, it was really great having a job on campus, especially in the athletics department. I was able to learn new tasks really fast and help train staff on a daily basis. The work environment was great, I would do laundry, handle varsity set-up for games I was not participating in along with interact with a variety of students.
my typical day at work
Library's Student Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2012
on daily basis i had to help students with computer related issues as well as helping them in printing, setting the passwords for college accounts.the one thing i enjoyed about this job is to helping the students with assignments because when i was not working their i always want to do a job in which i can helping other students who have any issues in submitting their assignments on time.
Computer Systems Technology Diploma
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2014
This three-year program is designed with extensive input from industry and offers two optional specializations in its third year. The Networking specialization focuses on network security, voice-over-IP (VoIP) and wireless LANs. The Systems specialization focuses on mail server administration, content management systems (Collaboration), database administration and computer security. Both specializations include core courses on infrastructure virtualization (through the VMWare IT Academy), along with best practices in IT.