Genzyme

Genzyme Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Ok
Vice President of IT (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 13, 2012
Very siloed and non productive culture

Patient focused.

Lacks the commercial manufacturing expertise needed to succeed in today's market.
Fun, but not productive
Case Manager Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 10, 2012
People work here because they enjoy their vacation. While I was on board while it still was Genzyme and not Sanofi, this was a company for people who were entirely too comfortable. Expect people to take multiple months off and act busy while on Facebook.

The crowd is a bit young and management is 1 out of every 4, or at least it was. It's very top-heavy.

While – more... your benefits and vacation days are great, don't expect to come here and make real progress. – less
Productive and fun workplace.
Regulatory Affairs Associate, Contractor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 21, 2012
- excting opportunity
- great learning experiene
- excellent co-workers
- very understanding about work life balance
They offer a great benifits package.
Lab Animal Technologist lll (Former Employee), Framingham, MaSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: good people, very friendly
Cons: not a very strong upper management team, the rules tend to change frequently and depends on who you speak to.
They offer a lot of training and educational advancement. It is a fast paced environment with a wide variety of projects to work on. The culture is very company specific, geared towards friendlyness.
A company that started off small and hasn't adapted to its increased size
Quality Systems Manager (Current Employee), Haverhill, SuffolkSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: recently (2011) bought by sanofi and changes are happening; patient-focused
Cons: management experience of rest of industry is low
There are three types of people who work at Genzyme: Old Genzyme 'We've always done it like that why do we need to change?'; Old but adaptable: 'We see that change is needed but we aren't quite sure how to go about it'; and Incomers: 'You do WHAT?'

Trying to make changes is very difficult and, at my site, not helped by the lack of strategy. Priorities – more... keep changing which means that the project you've just put your heart and soul into suddenly becomes unimportant (to the management team, at any rate).

The management team could be better but, like any workplace, there are a number of 'heroes' who keep the place going and push things through despite the culture. There are some great people, but also a higher-than-normal proportion of dead wood. High staff turnover. Sickness has reduced but that may be due to the recent takeover.

There are attempts to change things for the better and there has been some improvement over the past four years. Work practices favoured by more forward-thinking companies are gradually being adopted, but it is slow.

At the moment there is a 36-hour week (early finish on Fridays) but that may change when the site adopts Sanofi T&Cs from January 2012. – less
Friendly environment
Finance Manager (Former Employee), Westborough, MASeptember 6, 2012
Pros: good compensation with bonuses, salaries and equity
Cons: when i left the benefits weren't the best
People were nice to work with. Company took care of employees. I learned a lot in my 13 years working there. Work life Balance was preached but nothing was done to help achieve it.
Was a good place to work.
Senior Director Hospital Sales (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 23, 2012
Productive fun place to work for 95% of my time with the company.
Great benefits, family oriented, community oriented, dedicated to helping patients that used its drugs.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2012
Pros: very good benefits
Cons: advancement was difficult.
Each day was different. I had a lot of variety in my position, creating spreadsheets, travel planning, expense reporting, meeting scheduling in outlook.
I learned the importance of time management and setting priorities. I learned the value of developing a rapport with my coworkers and doing what I can to help them with their problems.
The hardest part – more... of my job was not having a medical background and keeping up with all of the changes in the pharmaceutical industry.
The most enjoyable part was having the knowledge and ability to help my co-workers when they needed it. – less
work place with a perfect work/life balance and also productive at the same time
Research Associate (Former Employee), Framingham, MAJuly 25, 2012
The work environment was very friendly with a personal touch. My experience at Genzyme helped me in gaining hands on experience in various protein analysis/characterization techniques in a cGMP/cGLP environment.
Great place to work & great coworkers
Receptionist/Security (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 23, 2012
Pros: company was good to employees with wages & gave good raises.
Cons: company laid off many employees without warning, replaced with securitas.
I worked for this company for 10 years & enjoyed every day that I went to work.'Coworkers were great to work with & were team players.
I learned how to run mailroom when regular mailperson was on vacation or out sick, it was great to learn FEDEX, UPS & DHL mailing system.
Great products, not a great place to work.
Clinical Science Associate (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 15, 2012
Pros: good pay, benefits
Cons: poor management, training and organization
There's brilliant research going on at this company and the benefits are great. The company is very poorly organized and managed. The training on their complex, genetic diseases was minimal. I sat through 15 interviews before I got an offer.
The employees I worked with were cliquish and quick to stab a newcomer in the back. Management often enabled – more... them to do this.
It was the worst work experience of my career which is unfortunate given the benefits and pay I was receiving – less
Not the same Genzyme
Quality Manager (Former Employee), Framingham, MAJune 28, 2012
Pros: free coffee
Cons: very high level of employee uncertainty, poor employee morale, poor leadership and communication, very political work environment where nepotism is rampant
The work environment is not the same since Sanofi took over. They are quietly reducing benefits and continually ask everyone to do more with less. The leadership team can't get away from the "putting out fires" business model which makes it a difficult workplace with inconsistent direction.
Excellent
Genzyme – Senior Coordinator (Current Employee), Framingham, MAJune 6, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: too much management
Good work/life Blanace, job security is a plus. Benefits and Compensation are great.
Writing about my expereince with Genzyme
Manufacturing Machine Operator (Former Employee), Ridgefield, NJJune 4, 2012
i really enjoyed working at Genzyme, I really learnd alot in man.ufactoring. Management was very corperative The co-worker was very helpful to work with. Trying to past the inspection test was the hardestThe most enjoyale part was working with co-workers and the over time
Does not deal with a multiple cultural differences
Senior Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee), Framingham, MAJune 4, 2012
Genzyme is a very difficult place to work. Management does not really have a grip on preparing for the "Consent Decree" they are now under.
Not a typical 9 to 5 job and very rewarding
Regional Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2012
Pros: worked from home when not traveling, exciting studies
Cons: lived out of a suitcase (60-70% travel)
All around great company, co-workers were great team players
Friendly and diversed employees and good working environment, easily accessible to Red line
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2012
Pros: free, coffee, tea, milk, cream, beverages, inexpensive cafeteria, flexible schedule, managers appreciate their admins regularly, nice size cubes and no micro-management
Cons: company's stability in question, low moral, the unknown
I have been a contractor at Genzyme since 10/11 to present and so far it appears to be a great place to work.

The only concern I have at the moment is employment stability. Since Genzyme has been acquired by Sanofi and is still going through an integration period, I feel very uncertain about employment stability and what direction the company is going – more... in.

The company overall is a nice place to work, great people to work with and a very pleasant environment which I like. – less
Stong Team leader
Principal Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 4, 2012
Pros: strong sr. management and infrastructure
I have over 30 tears of experience, so I act as a real mentor to co-workers. I have contributed to several improvement and new product cross functional teams and I feel that I am a strong team leader.

I have managed several people and have had no employee turnover, which suggests that they approve of my lead by example philosophy.
Great Biotech company
Key Account Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 24, 2012
In my current position as Key Account Manager for Genzyme Corporation, I was required to operate in accordance with all company policies, standard operating procedures, FDA requirements (including compliance with the FDA mandated REMS) and privacy regulations. I also regularly fielded calls regarding adverse events and handled the reporting as needed.
OK
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 19, 2012
The company is currently going through changes. This has been ongoing since the take-over by Sanofi.