Genworth Financial, Inc.

Genworth Financial, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A decent place to work.
Senior Benefit Analyst for Long Term Care Division (Former Employee), Windsor, CTJanuary 7, 2015
I worked with some great people and learned a lot about the long term care insurance business.
The management was just ok.
A typical day was obtaining new work for people wanting to open a claim and going through the process of determining their eligibility and setting it up for services.
I enjoyed helping people.
Productive work environment co-workers not so inviting
Case Manager (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: great cafeteria, lovely building, 1 hr lunch
Cons: unwillingness to help new employees better there job.
A typical day at Genworth is exciting because you meet new people and an interesting position. I learned Long Term Care New Business. There are many of things that I was trained in doing however there was even more that was not in training and you had to learn on your own. The co-workers were rude, not friendly or willing to help when you had a question. I felt eventually like because we were temporary employees like a "Leper", that was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people(THE TEMPS) and learning about LTC NB insurance.
Corporate Environment
Actuarial infrastructure engineer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 2, 2015
I worked with Genworth Financial through IT recruiter Randstad. My review of Randstad is great, there were definitely considerate and very helpful.

If you're looking for a place to work that provides a sense of fulfillment and acknowledgement, well this isn't it. More of a cog in the larger machine. During my tenure at Genworth I fulfilled positions such Grid Infrastructure Engineer and Application Analyst.

I met great people at Genworth and I learned a lot in the positions I held. Hardest part of the job is the fact that processes and departments are broken down and require levels of ticketing and permissions. For example, if certain folders need priority in QOS or additional credentials for Grid environment there were different groups that managed each subset. I came from a background where I had access to everything I needed. However, this is expected in such a larger company as Genworth, especially a company that routinely goes through IT audits for security purposes.
Productive and fun work place
Case Management Representative (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VADecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would include sorting letters to be mailed out for around a hour or 2, then after I finish that take phone calls and process transactions. I am grateful to have learned so many systems and the correct verbage to speak to customers with. My supervisors and co-workers are wonderful and so very positive and keep me motivated throughout the day . The hardest part of my job may be not knowing some processes but the most enjoyable part of my job is learning the hard processes and being able to teach someone else.
Goal oriented environment
Universal Life Case Manager (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VADecember 23, 2014
Pros: the learning experience and the people
Cons: short breaks
Loved the people I worked with and had an amazing team. Learned how to deal with the agents and processed Life insurance cases from start to finish as well through the underwriting process. The hardest part was the stress and meeting the quarterly numbers. In the end it was always rewarding to see how well we had done.
Loved this job
Transaction Management Rep (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VADecember 21, 2014
I loved this job. I started out as customer service for long term care, I did 12 weeks of training which was great because it gave me full understanding, after a year and a half I moved into a new position all together in a different location which I loved even more. If I wouldn't have moved, I would have stayed there.
Productive workplace with a ping pong table
Benefit Analyst (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VADecember 15, 2014
Great organization to work for. Customers are always first, regardless the cost.
Poor Atmosphere
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), LYnchburg, VADecember 12, 2014
Little to no growth available. Horrible management. Micromanagement. Do not apply for this company.
Excellent Company to work for!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits, 401k, rewards given for going the extra mile, etc.
Cons: uneven distribution of work load at times
Top notch company with highly professional staff. People are friendly and helpful to each other. Lots of good benefits and perks.
Interesting and rewarding work
Benefit Eligibility Specialist III (Current Employee), Richmond, VaNovember 11, 2014
Pros: the work hours are 7 am until 3:30 pm
Cons: the future is unclear
The Long Term Care Insurance field is interest work, but Genworth is suffering and my future is unclear. Each day at work is different and demanding, which I enjoy. The most enjoyable part of this job is the satisfaction of helping the elderly. The most difficult part of my day is the managing the caseload. Management is doing the best they can in this difficult environment and I am hopeful we will recover.
Productive and Fun Company
Customer Service (Former Employee), San Rafael, CANovember 10, 2014
Pros: great holiday luncheons
Cons: call center -inbound calls needed to meet 90 calls per day
Good training, great benefits, great managers, great atmosphere. Good pay, good benefits, time of paid, vacation time paid and honors all holidays.
Sr. Customer Services Rep. (Current Employee), BrentwoodOctober 30, 2014
Pros: save time on going to lunch, so do not need to leave the building.
Cons: food may not be healthy, health can be a risk.
This is a Company that gives each individual a opportunity to use their talent and skill to better the company;

Be them self

Express their opinion

Use work not just for a place to work but a place to be family
Good company
Corporate Internal Auditor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 20, 2014
Genworth was a good company when I worked there, I would work there again.
great work environment
Senior Benefit Analyst (Former Employee), San Rafael , CaOctober 17, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: not much pay increase
great training, great work environment and management team. awesome mentoring program
Genworth Financial
Business Development Manager & Account Manager (Former Employee), Turkey, IstanbulOctober 13, 2014
I have a strong sales background having identified, negotiated and signed deals with Turkey’s largest banks and insurance companies,

I am highly motivated, independent, self-starter and have a proven track record of delivering results and exceeding goals for large multi-national companies through effective collaboration with local and regional cross- functional teams.
Not awful if you don't have any other option or want to advance your career.
Anonomous Employee (Current Employee), VirginiaOctober 2, 2014
Pros: time off: 20 days minimum; new management (ceo, svp) seem to want to improve things
Cons: salary, poor deeply ingrained culture
If you're in the Operations group, don't expect to do any advancement in the company, and if you do, don't expect your salary to move with you. Salaries for promotions (which don't actually exist because promotions in the traditional sense aren't allowed) are based off of previous salary, so no matter how much your job responsibilities increase, you're salary will only go a few percentage points.

Also, there is a strong culture of competition in the company, and not in a good way. Every group is constantly trying to defend itself from others and deflect responsibility, and finger pointing is a constant fact of life. Teamwork and shared responsibility are simply nonexistent. And the higher up you go into leadership, the more downright Machiavellian it gets. Watch your back.
This was the best place to work.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), San Rafael, CaSeptember 10, 2014
I love going
in to assist the policy holders with the problems of the day.
Great place to work, very happy.
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee), UndisclosedAugust 27, 2014
Pros: great place to work overall
Cons: conservative culture could be a pro or con depending on person
Great place to work, have had a good experience and love the people I work with, great atmosphere.
Genworth was a dynamic enviornment that focused on leadership development.
Regional Sales Manager, LONG ISLAND (Former Employee), New YorkAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great incentives and bonuses for producing agents and managers.
Cons: not getting a clearly communicated vision and commitment from leadership.
I began as a long term care insurance sales rep and later promoted to regional sales manager. I developed a fledgling team of new agents into one of the top offices year after year for 13 years. A typical day at work required me to recruit, train motivate and sometimes terminate agents when necessary. Goal setting and clearly set standards where constantly communicated among the team and we all knew what was expected of us.

The leadership team and upper management of the organization underwent significant change over the years going from AMEX Life to GE Capital Life insurance Company of NY and later being spun off as an IPO now Genworth and this led to an unclear vision that the company is still struggling with today.

The hardest part of the job but always necessary is having a supportive intervention with an agent who is not performing to standard. It's a dual sided coin...when the supportive intervention is effective it leads to positive change...that's enjoyable! On the other hand, when no change occurs it requires probation and possible termination. While terminating is never enjoyable it is best for all involved and allows the non performing agent to move on to hopefully find a more suitable career.

A valuable lesson learned as a new regional with Genworth is that it is always better to perform the supportive intervention sooner than later!
Contract Position
Systems Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great hours and team work
Great company to work for. I was a contractor for six months. Contracted ended and had to look for another opportunity

1 2 3 4 5

About Genworth Financial, Inc.

Genworth Financial, Inc. is a leading Fortune 500® insurance holding company dedicated to helping people secure their financial – Read more