Gensler Employee Reviews

Creative and Relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK20 February 2017
Gensler is a world class architecture company and I had an enormous amount of fun working there for the short time I was there.
The people are kind and generous as well as creative and inspiring.
Pros
Creative, relaxed
Fun, Easy Going Supportive Environment
Facilities Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 February 2017
My day consisted of refilling and restocking the supplies for the front kitchen and the back kitchen. For an hour and a half each day, I would also cover reception. While covering reception, I would answer phone calls, schedule meetings, reserve and check out equipment for the architects and designers. I also was in charged of ordering new office supplies and kitchen supplies. I worked as a team member with the office manager often to plan for special events or larger meetings.
Pros
Free Bagels on Monday, Great Working Environment, Friendly Associates
Good for people who are just starting out
Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 February 2017
If you are just starting in your career, you can learn a lot, but also be prepared to WORK a lot as well. There is a definite expectation for "donated" hours that are not billable. Salaries are well below the market for other design firms, and they say that your bonus will make up for it, but usually does not. The people and culture are great, and there is a shared sense of ownership in the project work.
Pros
Global design firm, so opportunity to transfer to other offices or regions. Employee owned, so you have a vested interest in making sure your projects are profitable
Cons
Very profit driven, poor work life balance, people may be pigeonholed holed into a certain role on a project team- based on their skill sets.
Overall good environment, lot of opportunities, talented people
Junior Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 February 2017
There are plenty of opportunities to grow and gain experience. Everyone one I've come across is really nice and helpful.
excellent company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX1 February 2017
I was hired as a receptionist and loved every minute. It is a fast-paced work environment that requires attention to detail and professional phone courtesies. Multi-tasking is a must. Staff was fantastic. It was a pleasure to work there everyday.
Pros
lots of free food, coffee, dependable work schedule
Cons
short breaks, hard to integrate more than one associate at the front desk due to high volume
Great Place to work
Senior Technical Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 December 2016
Core hours are 8;30 to 5;30
Team meetings and start working producing construction documents.
My Revit Skills have improved very much at Gensler.
Great Management.
Great co-workers
Hardest part of my job is that the project that I was working has been cancelled.
Most enjoyable part is coodination
Pros
Great work quality
Cons
not enough work at times
Great company culture
Bilingual Content Editor (Former Employee) –  上海市1 November 2016
Worked with Gensler for two years, good professional growth, amazing colleagues, and get to work with designers on beautiful projects.
Pros
Great people and company culture
Good office overall
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA23 October 2016
Good practice , good projects. Although New appointed principles would rather invest on young people with no experience and let project suffer, then they get the older more experience staff to fix the projects later which maybe too late or damaged has been done. They have yet to learn to balance staffing on all projects.
Pros
High profile projects
Cons
Do not value experienced people much
Great place to work.
Sr Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV26 August 2016
Gensler is a great place to work in general terms. Most people are great to collaborate with, very sharp and dedicated to their efforts.

Like any large architectural firm, you would have bad days as well as good ones. Most of my time there things worked out just fine, even better than at other previous firms.

Very good firm to start a career.
Pros
Training, Continuing Education, Great Colleagues, Excellent Tools
Cons
Same as any other large firm, nothing outstanding.
Productive and Innovative
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NY14 June 2016
Gensler is a great company, I have learned so much working with the retail team. I would recommend this company to anyone. Gensler challenged me as a designer and allowed me to think in new ways.
A great company to have on your resume
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX7 June 2016
This company was stressful to work for. After working here for 6 months, hardly anyone knew my name. I worked in 2 departments and my second boss was very unhelpful.
Great environment and opportunity for growth
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA18 April 2016
Innovation is not a buzz word but a culture and Gensler is always pushing the edge, to re-invent the norm. I was fortunate enough to be part of this incredible environment as a Design Manager, always searching for new business and pushing my team to do their very best.
All around great company
Studio Coordinator, Architectural Photographer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA16 April 2016
Great culture, great benefits, amazing people and leadership, good work/life balance. There is a lot of awesome energy here, the office is beautiful, and the relationships formed are great.
Great Workplace
FF&E DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Singapore11 December 2015
It is very rare to find a design company that could offer a work life balance. But in Gensler you will be able to find that. Very comprehensive medical benefits and compensation program.
Pros
Outstanding employee benefits
Cons
Management needs to improve on hearing out employee suggestions, support employees in outside learning, for such a small start-up branch so much politics, high attrition rate
Great place to start
Job Captain/Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX14 October 2015
Gensler is a great place to start ones architectural career. I would recommend it to young people looking for a start to their career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Compensation is not the best
Work hard play harder
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco16 September 2015
Nice space and a very energetic and lively atmosphere - good solid group of employees who love what they do. The company promotes Gensler culture so you better be ready to drink the juice!
Pros
Nice office space
Cons
A little too corporate for a design firm
Good for Architects
Project Administrator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA12 August 2015
Gensler has a high energy environment. A very good place for young Architects, not so much for Admins. The company promotes training for Architects and various advancement opportunities. The office environment is upbeat and industrious. The down side is when projects are low so is work flow and then your position is in danger of being eliminated.
Collaboration
Retail Studio Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 July 2015
Team collaboration is an integral part of the Gensler approach. One learns a lot and plays on a team.

one also learns about the entire approach to create a space, be it interior or exterior architecture.

From concept inception to construction document, it is a steep learning curve that carries with it support and collaboration.
Gensler
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY26 April 2015
Gensler has a great work environment. I am constantly surrounded by and work with lots of fun and creative professionals.
Best Work Experience Yet
Intern Architect (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJ23 April 2015
Gensler is an incredible firm to work for. They teach you how to be a well rounded design and are big on innovation. There's also plenty of room for advancement.
Pros
Happy Hours every Friday

92%