Gensler Employee Reviews

Good People
PROJECT ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 June 2017
The people are good at Gensler but management is not consistent. The pace is fast and management couldn't get all departments and employees on the same page
Pros
Enviroment
Cons
Unprofessional fraternity enviroment
great place to work
Junior Architect (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA28 April 2017
Gensler was my first big office job and it was great experience to work for big company and handle 50 million dollar project from day one . Thank you Gensler
Terrible management! No place for someone looking for mentorship!
Intermediate Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX18 April 2017
I was an intermediate architecture at Gensler for 6 months. Ended up leaving due to the constant stress level, overtime worked, and lack of mentorship that was characteristic of the firm. If you don't want a life, then work here.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
No work/life balance, working weekends, huge management issues
Good Culture and Great Office
Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA26 March 2017
The firm has great culture and amenities, but compensation isn't what it should be. The office is huge so it's broken into several smaller studios which is nice.
Great place to learn, but not for long. If you're looking for bad management and be overloaded with work beyond means, Gensler might be your place.
Design Manager (Current Employee) –  New Jersey20 February 2017
Currently I'm working in Gensler - and don't get me wrong - it has been a great opportunity to grow professionally, you get to be part of really big projects throughout the world, coolavorate with other offices and learn from really talente people - but, reality is another thing: behind their "One firm firm" slogan, its all about politics, over loaded/burn out employees, who are paid nothing to work even throughout weekends (most cases without getting approval to actually charge these extra hours).

As a manager I can bluntly say that Gensler sells you one idea, full of glamour and marketing talk, but be prepared to work under a lot of (infinite) pressure and stress, as most projects are really bad managed (most times offers are really low budgeted to just keep a client, or win over competition), but reality is that you most probably won't be able to keep up the amount of projects handled at once, while working with super tight fees and even lower salary.

Beyond the now and then drinks and laughs with your team - it's all about rushing. There's definitely no time for real quality or impact here (even when Gensler sells you that idea).
Pros
Learning from the best, exposure to big projects, access to top tools and software
Cons
Really low pay, no work/life balance whatsoever, bad management and employees are honestly exploited.
Creative and Relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK20 February 2017
Gensler is a world class architecture company and I had an enormous amount of fun working there for the short time I was there.
The people are kind and generous as well as creative and inspiring.
Pros
Creative, relaxed
Fun, Easy Going Supportive Environment
Facilities Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 February 2017
My day consisted of refilling and restocking the supplies for the front kitchen and the back kitchen. For an hour and a half each day, I would also cover reception. While covering reception, I would answer phone calls, schedule meetings, reserve and check out equipment for the architects and designers. I also was in charged of ordering new office supplies and kitchen supplies. I worked as a team member with the office manager often to plan for special events or larger meetings.
Pros
Free Bagels on Monday, Great Working Environment, Friendly Associates
Good for people who are just starting out
Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 February 2017
If you are just starting in your career, you can learn a lot, but also be prepared to WORK a lot as well. There is a definite expectation for "donated" hours that are not billable. Salaries are well below the market for other design firms, and they say that your bonus will make up for it, but usually does not. The people and culture are great, and there is a shared sense of ownership in the project work.
Pros
Global design firm, so opportunity to transfer to other offices or regions. Employee owned, so you have a vested interest in making sure your projects are profitable
Cons
Very profit driven, poor work life balance, people may be pigeonholed holed into a certain role on a project team- based on their skill sets.
Overall good environment, lot of opportunities, talented people
Junior Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 February 2017
There are plenty of opportunities to grow and gain experience. Everyone one I've come across is really nice and helpful.
excellent company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX1 February 2017
I was hired as a receptionist and loved every minute. It is a fast-paced work environment that requires attention to detail and professional phone courtesies. Multi-tasking is a must. Staff was fantastic. It was a pleasure to work there everyday.
Pros
lots of free food, coffee, dependable work schedule
Cons
short breaks, hard to integrate more than one associate at the front desk due to high volume
Great Working Environment
FULL TIME INTERN (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 January 2017
Excellent and professional staff.
The co-workers are very friendly and very kind to interns.
Staying late in office does not happen very often.
The compensation is great but not very good for interns.
Great Place to work
Senior Technical Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 December 2016
Core hours are 8;30 to 5;30
Team meetings and start working producing construction documents.
My Revit Skills have improved very much at Gensler.
Great Management.
Great co-workers
Hardest part of my job is that the project that I was working has been cancelled.
Most enjoyable part is coodination
Pros
Great work quality
Cons
not enough work at times
Great company culture
Bilingual Content Editor (Former Employee) –  上海市1 November 2016
Worked with Gensler for two years, good professional growth, amazing colleagues, and get to work with designers on beautiful projects.
Pros
Great people and company culture
Good office overall
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA23 October 2016
Good practice , good projects. Although New appointed principles would rather invest on young people with no experience and let project suffer, then they get the older more experience staff to fix the projects later which maybe too late or damaged has been done. They have yet to learn to balance staffing on all projects.
Pros
High profile projects
Cons
Do not value experienced people much
Great place to work.
Sr Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV26 August 2016
Gensler is a great place to work in general terms. Most people are great to collaborate with, very sharp and dedicated to their efforts.

Like any large architectural firm, you would have bad days as well as good ones. Most of my time there things worked out just fine, even better than at other previous firms.

Very good firm to start a career.
Pros
Training, Continuing Education, Great Colleagues, Excellent Tools
Cons
Same as any other large firm, nothing outstanding.
great working environmnet
Architectural intern (Former Employee) –  London14 August 2016
amazing work culture and team spirit with project leaders from multiple countries, hence an amazing experience with global exposure.
Pros
lots of incentives for employees
Productive and Innovative
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NY14 June 2016
Gensler is a great company, I have learned so much working with the retail team. I would recommend this company to anyone. Gensler challenged me as a designer and allowed me to think in new ways.
A great company to have on your resume
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX7 June 2016
This company was stressful to work for. After working here for 6 months, hardly anyone knew my name. I worked in 2 departments and my second boss was very unhelpful.
Great environment and opportunity for growth
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA18 April 2016
Innovation is not a buzz word but a culture and Gensler is always pushing the edge, to re-invent the norm. I was fortunate enough to be part of this incredible environment as a Design Manager, always searching for new business and pushing my team to do their very best.
All around great company
Studio Coordinator, Architectural Photographer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA16 April 2016
Great culture, great benefits, amazing people and leadership, good work/life balance. There is a lot of awesome energy here, the office is beautiful, and the relationships formed are great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gensler. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval