Gensler Employee Reviews

Good for people who are just starting out
Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 February 2017
If you are just starting in your career, you can learn a lot, but also be prepared to WORK a lot as well. There is a definite expectation for "donated" hours that are not billable. Salaries are well below the market for other design firms, and they say that your bonus will make up for it, but usually does not. The people and culture are great, and there is a shared sense of ownership in the project work.
Pros
Global design firm, so opportunity to transfer to other offices or regions. Employee owned, so you have a vested interest in making sure your projects are profitable
Cons
Very profit driven, poor work life balance, people may be pigeonholed holed into a certain role on a project team- based on their skill sets.
All around great company
Studio Coordinator, Architectural Photographer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA16 April 2016
Great culture, great benefits, amazing people and leadership, good work/life balance. There is a lot of awesome energy here, the office is beautiful, and the relationships formed are great.
Fun, Easy Going Supportive Environment
Facilities Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 February 2017
My day consisted of refilling and restocking the supplies for the front kitchen and the back kitchen. For an hour and a half each day, I would also cover reception. While covering reception, I would answer phone calls, schedule meetings, reserve and check out equipment for the architects and designers. I also was in charged of ordering new office supplies and kitchen supplies. I worked as a team member with the office manager often to plan for special events or larger meetings.
Pros
Free Bagels on Monday, Great Working Environment, Friendly Associates
Great Place to work
Senior Technical Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 December 2016
Core hours are 8;30 to 5;30
Team meetings and start working producing construction documents.
My Revit Skills have improved very much at Gensler.
Great Management.
Great co-workers
Hardest part of my job is that the project that I was working has been cancelled.
Most enjoyable part is coodination
Pros
Great work quality
Cons
not enough work at times
Great place to work.
Sr Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV26 August 2016
Gensler is a great place to work in general terms. Most people are great to collaborate with, very sharp and dedicated to their efforts.

Like any large architectural firm, you would have bad days as well as good ones. Most of my time there things worked out just fine, even better than at other previous firms.

Very good firm to start a career.
Pros
Training, Continuing Education, Great Colleagues, Excellent Tools
Cons
Same as any other large firm, nothing outstanding.
Great Workplace
FF&E DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Singapore11 December 2015
It is very rare to find a design company that could offer a work life balance. But in Gensler you will be able to find that. Very comprehensive medical benefits and compensation program.
Pros
Outstanding employee benefits
Cons
Management needs to improve on hearing out employee suggestions, support employees in outside learning, for such a small start-up branch so much politics, high attrition rate
excellent company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX1 February 2017
I was hired as a receptionist and loved every minute. It is a fast-paced work environment that requires attention to detail and professional phone courtesies. Multi-tasking is a must. Staff was fantastic. It was a pleasure to work there everyday.
Pros
lots of free food, coffee, dependable work schedule
Cons
short breaks, hard to integrate more than one associate at the front desk due to high volume
Great company culture
Bilingual Content Editor (Former Employee) –  上海市1 November 2016
Worked with Gensler for two years, good professional growth, amazing colleagues, and get to work with designers on beautiful projects.
Pros
Great people and company culture
Good office overall
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA23 October 2016
Good practice , good projects. Although New appointed principles would rather invest on young people with no experience and let project suffer, then they get the older more experience staff to fix the projects later which maybe too late or damaged has been done. They have yet to learn to balance staffing on all projects.
Pros
High profile projects
Cons
Do not value experienced people much
Creative and Relaxed work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  London, UK20 February 2017
Gensler is a world class architecture company and I had an enormous amount of fun working there for the short time I was there.
The people are kind and generous as well as creative and inspiring.
Pros
Creative, relaxed
Overall good environment, lot of opportunities, talented people
Junior Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 February 2017
There are plenty of opportunities to grow and gain experience. Everyone one I've come across is really nice and helpful.
Great co-workers. Good benefits. Compensation WAY below market value.
former employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA16 April 2012
Long work hours but everyone is doing it, so you feel bad not to do the same. The corporate culture suck you in with the Gensler koolaid which makes you feel too responsible & you have to choose work over your personal life. Some of the management is good especially the younger leaders of the firm. Worked with some extremely talented people and co-workers are great. Politics always get in the way if you aren't connected with the right people who can watch your back. I had a great learning experience, but won't consider this workplace as my life long career.
Pros
free lunches, vendor events, benefits (esop)
Cons
long work hours without pay, management expectation, under-appreciated
Great place to start
Job Captain/Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX14 October 2015
Gensler is a great place to start ones architectural career. I would recommend it to young people looking for a start to their career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Compensation is not the best
Have to act as a "robot" there
Former Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 September 2013
At most companies there are "down times" where you can breathe and laugh a little and converse w/ people. Not here, especially in regards to the office assistants. They constantly want you working like a robot. If you have HR questions, they are directed to your manager. The Office Administrators (who you report to) have no backbone. They are "yes men/women". Most important of all, they are liars. One former Office Assistant got let go and was lied to regarding the reasoning for being let go. Very unorthodox organization that is not employee friendly.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Temporary Position, No health insurance, No paid holidays, Liars
Great place to work but the compensation is on the lower side!
Finance (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA21 December 2013
Good Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Lots of social events and food! The only downside is that the salary is low compared to the rest of the industry and does not consider the cost of living in San Francisco!
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Lots of social events and food!
Cons
Low Compensation
Productive and Innovative
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NY14 June 2016
Gensler is a great company, I have learned so much working with the retail team. I would recommend this company to anyone. Gensler challenged me as a designer and allowed me to think in new ways.
Great environment and opportunity for growth
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA18 April 2016
Innovation is not a buzz word but a culture and Gensler is always pushing the edge, to re-invent the norm. I was fortunate enough to be part of this incredible environment as a Design Manager, always searching for new business and pushing my team to do their very best.
NA
Accounting Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX11 March 2015
It had great health benefits but no work life balance. The culture is a very different one than most. Be willing to work 50- 60 hour weeks and work on weekends. IF you do not plan on being replaced.
A great company to have on your resume
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX7 June 2016
This company was stressful to work for. After working here for 6 months, hardly anyone knew my name. I worked in 2 departments and my second boss was very unhelpful.
Busy work
Internship/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beijing23 December 2014
I did a lot of overtime every night. They have a lot of exciting projects there but really got you occupied. Friendly atmosphere to internships, but very low salary.
Pros
Good projects