Gensler Employee Reviews

All around great company
Studio Coordinator, Architectural Photographer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA16 April 2016
Great culture, great benefits, amazing people and leadership, good work/life balance. There is a lot of awesome energy here, the office is beautiful, and the relationships formed are great.
Great Place to work
Senior Technical Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC6 December 2016
Core hours are 8;30 to 5;30
Team meetings and start working producing construction documents.
My Revit Skills have improved very much at Gensler.
Great Management.
Great co-workers
Hardest part of my job is that the project that I was working has been cancelled.
Most enjoyable part is coodination
Pros
Great work quality
Cons
not enough work at times
Great Workplace
FF&E DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Singapore11 December 2015
It is very rare to find a design company that could offer a work life balance. But in Gensler you will be able to find that. Very comprehensive medical benefits and compensation program.
Pros
Outstanding employee benefits
Cons
Management needs to improve on hearing out employee suggestions, support employees in outside learning, for such a small start-up branch so much politics, high attrition rate
Great company culture
Bilingual Content Editor (Former Employee) –  上海市1 November 2016
Worked with Gensler for two years, good professional growth, amazing colleagues, and get to work with designers on beautiful projects.
Pros
Great people and company culture
Good office overall
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA23 October 2016
Good practice , good projects. Although New appointed principles would rather invest on young people with no experience and let project suffer, then they get the older more experience staff to fix the projects later which maybe too late or damaged has been done. They have yet to learn to balance staffing on all projects.
Pros
High profile projects
Cons
Do not value experienced people much
Great co-workers. Good benefits. Compensation WAY below market value.
former employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA16 April 2012
Long work hours but everyone is doing it, so you feel bad not to do the same. The corporate culture suck you in with the Gensler koolaid which makes you feel too responsible & you have to choose work over your personal life. Some of the management is good especially the younger leaders of the firm. Worked with some extremely talented people and co-workers are great. Politics always get in the way if you aren't connected with the right people who can watch your back. I had a great learning experience, but won't consider this workplace as my life long career.
Pros
free lunches, vendor events, benefits (esop)
Cons
long work hours without pay, management expectation, under-appreciated
Great place to start
Job Captain/Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX14 October 2015
Gensler is a great place to start ones architectural career. I would recommend it to young people looking for a start to their career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Compensation is not the best
Have to act as a "robot" there
Former Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 September 2013
At most companies there are "down times" where you can breathe and laugh a little and converse w/ people. Not here, especially in regards to the office assistants. They constantly want you working like a robot. If you have HR questions, they are directed to your manager. The Office Administrators (who you report to) have no backbone. They are "yes men/women". Most important of all, they are liars. One former Office Assistant got let go and was lied to regarding the reasoning for being let go. Very unorthodox organization that is not employee friendly.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Temporary Position, No health insurance, No paid holidays, Liars
Great environment and opportunity for growth
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA18 April 2016
Innovation is not a buzz word but a culture and Gensler is always pushing the edge, to re-invent the norm. I was fortunate enough to be part of this incredible environment as a Design Manager, always searching for new business and pushing my team to do their very best.
Productive and Innovative
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NY14 June 2016
Gensler is a great company, I have learned so much working with the retail team. I would recommend this company to anyone. Gensler challenged me as a designer and allowed me to think in new ways.
A great company to have on your resume
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX7 June 2016
This company was stressful to work for. After working here for 6 months, hardly anyone knew my name. I worked in 2 departments and my second boss was very unhelpful.
Great place to work but the compensation is on the lower side!
Finance (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA21 December 2013
Good Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Lots of social events and food! The only downside is that the salary is low compared to the rest of the industry and does not consider the cost of living in San Francisco!
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance, Good Benefits, Lots of social events and food!
Cons
Low Compensation
NA
Accounting Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX11 March 2015
It had great health benefits but no work life balance. The culture is a very different one than most. Be willing to work 50- 60 hour weeks and work on weekends. IF you do not plan on being replaced.
Busy work
Internship/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beijing23 December 2014
I did a lot of overtime every night. They have a lot of exciting projects there but really got you occupied. Friendly atmosphere to internships, but very low salary.
Pros
Good projects
Bad experience
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  New York, NY12 December 2013
At Gensler you are treated as a number not a person. If you think I'm lying ask any former employee what they received the first day at work. They will tell you a folder with a employee number. The employee number identifies you in the company.

Management sucks!! Especially in the NY office. It's all politics at Gensler. I was promised a good bonus and it was $600. I don't know how that's considered good working for a multi billion dollar company. Just like other reviews expect to work overtime without any pay. HR department is supposed to be helpful and a resource for the employees. The HR department at gensler finds ways to fire you and make it seem like it's your fault. Don't ever dare to be late a couple of minutes. Being late will get you fired. Speaking the truth will get you fired. Voicing your thoughts will definitely get you fired. Not working overtime without pay will also result in you being fired. Not sucking up to HR will get you fired. I can keep going on...

This is the first company in which employees cry about their salaries openly. Its a good place to learn everything, cry and leave ASAP.
Pros
Good Learning a Experience
Cons
Everything!!!
Not a place to be in for very long !
Consultant (Former Employee) –  NY19 February 2013
Gensler is a good example of corporates, that walk all over their employees (specially the ones lower in rank) to attain their earmarked profits ! In my 4 year haul here, few of the things that I found totally out of sync and appalling were -

The illusion of teamwork!
I worked on a few big projects, with a number of other colleagues spread across various Gensler offices. By the time the project nears completion you would most likely see the senior management taking all the credit. There is no unified Gensler experience or culture, it varies from location to location. This is something the higher management should seriously sit down and sort, as they advocate their clients the benefits of the same). My experience comes primarily from NY, Boston, and NJ locations.

Seldom get a chance to own a project and take it through from start to finish!
This is not a place for any such dreams, one finds themselves juggling with many projects at any given time and you only get a chance to participate in a project than to take it through. You will often find yourself loosing out to someone with a better talent to please your manager than at work. Having done a particular type of project one gets compartmentalized to do just those kind of projects with little variety.
Irrespective of your good work and long hours put in one frequently gets passed over by the more favored employees.

Be ready to work for 70+ hours a week for 40 hours worth of pay!
The automated system flags you for filling more that 40 hours of work in a week and employees out of their fear of getting flagged and eventually
  more... laid off, have become accustomed to working longer hours and holidays for no compensation.

The senior management here is a nightmare to work with!
I could not trust my manager, as there was always this undercurrent of office politics. He was frequently verbally abusive and discriminating. The pattern I noticed was the managers happily took credit for work done by juniors, without relaying any bit of applause to the ones running the sweatshop. All the tall tales about Gensler and its work culture is a myth, I did not see it in 4 years I was here. You were lucky if you had a friend or support within the office, but people were usually good out of the goodness of their heart and not because they were at Gensler. Gensler often ask their employees to fill online forms to track the status of their work culture and often berate employees in staff meetings who openly talk their views out.

Open back biting about employees and subordinates is a flourishing norm here - My boss used to abuse and back bite about the MD. This was disturbing and unhealthy at so many levels.

HR is a joke !
They are mere puppets at the hands of the senior management. I spoke to the HR manager about the issues i was facing with my manager, which was relayed in full, to my manager making things worse.

Look out for interns posting the misleading reviews- they stay for such short periods here and get besotted by the free food, great culture stories and superficial smiles, and spread the word about the greatness of the firm - Infact, these are the only employees Gensler will ever have talking good of them.

On the whole a good experience and learning about what kind of people or company I do not want to work for next - I sincerely hope there are better places to work out there which do not use and abuse people the way it happens here. There are a lot of other firms which are doing good work with happier, and intellectually fulfilled employees, stay away from this one !
Pros
get a chance to be with some of the best talent in the industry
Cons
poor leadership work ethics, fading 'one' culture, undervalued staff, lacking mentorship
Fantastic Environment
Project Coordinator Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA27 December 2013
Gensler is a great place to work with good people and an exciting environment to be in. I have learned so much about the world of architecture from the beginning phases to there completion. Gensler is always buzzing with activity. We have a great crew of IT professionals to work with who are always willing to coordinate with me on projects and provide me with there honest feedback. The most difficult part of my day is to not be able to resolve everything for everyone everyday in all I can always drive home knowing we did a gave it our best efforts.
Pros
Lots of fresh fruits and good food can always be found
Cons
Long hours and weight gain can be the only downside of Gensler
Gensler Chicago office is a terrible place to work
architect (Former Employee) –  Chicago8 February 2013
Other offices of this giant may be better, but the Chicago office
of this firm is an ill-managed sweat shop with below average culture and values. Upper management is corrupt and unethical. Project managers are verbally abusive and unprofessional. Atmosphere is highly competitive and "dog-eat-dog" strategy is rewarded. The workload is excruciating and a 7 day week is the norm.

Many of the project managers are untrustworthy and dishonest due to high pressure from above to run highly profitable projects with as little billable man hours as possible. The pay is extremely low and promises of bonuses to make up for this are poorly met.

Be ready to give up your personal life. Verbal abuse and workplace harassment is rampant no matter how hard one works or well one performs. Unhappiness of staff is prevalent and turnover rate of employees is high. Overall a hostile environment and mediocre design work.
Pros
free food
Cons
unprofessional behavior is rewarded, mediocre design work, toxic culture
Good for Architects
Project Administrator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA12 August 2015
Gensler has a high energy environment. A very good place for young Architects, not so much for Admins. The company promotes training for Architects and various advancement opportunities. The office environment is upbeat and industrious. The down side is when projects are low so is work flow and then your position is in danger of being eliminated.
Work hard play harder
Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco16 September 2015
Nice space and a very energetic and lively atmosphere - good solid group of employees who love what they do. The company promotes Gensler culture so you better be ready to drink the juice!
Pros
Nice office space
Cons
A little too corporate for a design firm