General Motors Employee Reviews

Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
Good place to work, had no issues. Treated with respect by management and co-workers
Automotive Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,OntarioOctober 24, 2012
Would report to supervisor and get my job task for the day. I was performing the function of a Utility Relief operator. Worked in Body shop all of my time as a G.M employee. Learned how to perform approximately 40 jobs and 20 of those functions were performed on the assembly line. Could perform all tasks at line speed. Management allways treated me with respect,as I allways performed all of my tasks,to the best of my ability.All of my co-workers were great people, and treated me with respect.We all got along with each other. Hardest part of the job would be the wear and tear on your body. Heavy lifting in some areas. Most enjoyable part would be,the people on the shop floor. All there for the same thing. Build the best product defect free for our customers.
Pros
being able to see a vehicle being build from start to finish
Cons
hard work, tough on the body.
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJuly 15, 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Lack of Managerial effectiveness
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 7, 2013
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty
Fun workplace with friendly team members
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2015
During my stay at General Motors of Canada, I discovered the following:
- the atmosphere is conducive for learning and working;
- GM is committed to the growth and career development of employees;
- GM employees are friendly and loving people.
Fast paced and very interesting.
Group Leader Prismatics (Current Employee) –  St. CatharinesJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day is usually a minimum of 9 hrs. My position is to support the hourly Team Leaders in all aspects of the process. My co-workers are a mix, covering all levels of experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the teams succeed in an issue that they planned, worked on and completed with positive results.
Pros
Comfort zone. I have worked for GM in many capacities over 35 years.
Cons
At times long hours.
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 29, 2015
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
close distance from home
Cons
not enough variety in daily work
A very enjoyable experience as a customer service representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Across CanadaFebruary 1, 2015
We were offered the opportunity to be fully trained in General Motors products and services and subsequently travel across the country and staff regional and international auto shows. Worked with a fantastic group of people and the management was very supportive.
I am very grateful for the chance to work for GM.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OnFebruary 24, 2014
I work at General Motors of Canada as a Temporary Part-Time worker. This job involves shift work twice or thrice a week on the line in the south Oshawa assembly plant.

I was given this job in early 2013 and have loved working here. This job has allowed me to pay for my ongoing university education and to gain an inside perspective of the manufacturing field (something I think all engineers working in the field should learn).

The work here is simple, but it has allowed me to network and to learn from people inside the business. Shift time works perfectly with school, as I work in the night shift, so work never clashes directly with school.

Overall, I absolutely love working at General Motors of Canada and I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn from them.
Great wages
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 13, 2015
In my employment at General Motors I have been exposed to many different jobs on different shifts.General Motors provides great pay.
Good people with freedom in the role
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 19, 2013
I was headhunted for this job, GM is trying to get back into the leasing side of the car business. Due to changes in the senior management structure and territories, I am no longer part of this organization.
A typical day with this company was travelling to GM stores in a designated territory and training new sales people on leasing
Pros
great people, freedom, working on your own
Cons
alot of driving
General Motors
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OnDecember 30, 2014
I enjoyed working here and if the Truck Plant hadn't closed I would still be there
Pros
Culture of advancement for those who earned it
Cons
lots of room for advancement if you have connections with the upper management
Production Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKNovember 22, 2012
Fast paced and loads of oppotunity if you know the right people. Very challenginfg and educational. Training was bar none
Pros
opportunities for learning
Cons
very long hours and no time for breaks
A Company in Transition
Truck Plant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
General Motors has been the worlds largest car manufacturer for a great many years. It is owned by a series of share holders that in my opinion interfere with its ability to adapt to the newer world markets.They are in a state of transition between old world and new.At my time of employ they were having trouble embracing the new world ways of manufacturing. I hope that they survive in the future for the sake of all of us.They have produced some truly iconic vehicles.They like any other company have good and bad in them.
Pros
Well paid if you were full time
Cons
A harsh environment to work in sometimes
First job out of college and was a great experience
Order Management (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2012
The job was interesting but the culture has changed very much since the bailout. If a GM employee you get far better treatment than being that of a contract worker.
Pros
great management
Cons
poorly taken care of building, low wage
it was a fast pace enviroment with a lot of slow downs
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 11, 2012
My coworkers were good to work with and made the shifts go by fairly good. Since it was a job that is dictated by market demand it was a bit of a roller coaster for job security.
Sales and Financing
Sales and Finance (Former Employee) –  Florida, MichiganJanuary 29, 2014
This job was not just about selling cars . I learned how to help people repair there credit . Auto sales and financing is the second largest purchase most people buy it was a good felling when you would see your client drive off in there new car .
Pros
Helping People

4.2