General Motors Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Cafeteria employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 December 2014
When I got to work there was always people saying hello and Being very gracious.
I learned how to prepare food for the cafeteria and serve to employees of general motors Canada I also got tours of The G.M Centre it was really Cool to see the Truck plant and car plant lines and how the employees there were definitely a team
Wages and benefits, Good people to work with.
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 November 2014
Lost job due to corporate restructuring. Good work practices in safety and team dynamics.
Benefits
Cons
Corporate company restructuring
Accounting Analist
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  VENEZUELA11 November 2014
• Classify, prepare, codify, and register new accounts, bills and other financial statements according to the stablished procedures using manual and digital sistems.
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 October 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.
Many learning opportunities
Project Engineer (CAE) (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI21 September 2014
Many learning opportunities
Career development oppotunities
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 September 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Lack of Managerial effectiveness
great place to work
Tool Setter (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 August 2014
Assembly line work

very repetitious

great co-workers

learned how to build engines, transmissions
Pros
Great pay
Cons
shift work
Lots of good people !!!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Windsor Ont29 July 2014
Each day clean all men's washrooms and locker room. Plus be on call for emergency clean ups .
Pros
Good money and lots of friends
Cons
Dirty work
amazing company
It Operations (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 May 2014
the only issue is there is no place for me to grow
-best manager
-best benefits
-love working for GM
Pros
love the work enviroment
Cons
can't grow.
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 May 2014
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Repetitive Work, Short Breaks and Lunch
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2014
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Cons
Long commute to and from work.
great place to work for 31 years.
Plant Custodian (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 April 2014
many great experiences. met and associated with many people.
productive
Line worker / Assembly (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, Ont12 April 2014
fast paced,
teamwork,
job was repetitive, creating an easy routine
Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 April 2014
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
extremely repetitive
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 March 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Seasonal Work
a factory enviroment
General Labour (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 March 2014
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others
Terrible Environment
Departmental Group Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 March 2014
You would not to wish the workplace on your worst enemy. Those that work in management are treated like dogs.
Small group of CSR every one got along
Bilingual CSR/ Parts and services (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 February 2014
Great atmosphere! shift work every pulled their weight every one helped each other in finding solutions supervisor always there to help
Pros
open door policy
Cons
shift work
I am very grateful for the chance to work for GM.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, On24 February 2014
I work at General Motors of Canada as a Temporary Part-Time worker. This job involves shift work twice or thrice a week on the line in the south Oshawa assembly plant.

I was given this job in early 2013 and have loved working here. This job has allowed me to pay for my ongoing university education and to gain an inside perspective of the manufacturing field (something I think all engineers working in the field should learn).

The work here is simple, but it has allowed me to network and to learn from people inside the business. Shift time works perfectly with school, as I work in the night shift, so work never clashes directly with school.

Overall, I absolutely love working at General Motors of Canada and I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn from them.
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Chasiss18 February 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
Great co-workers, Easy jobs
Cons
Long Hours, Short lunch breaks

4.2