General Motors Employee Reviews

relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markham6 October 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawa23 September 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
Fun working environment
Customer Service Advisor / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 December 2015
Good place to work if you live in the Durham region. No traffic and good health benefits. Management is very accessible and training is very good. Lots of different lines of business to keep you interested.
Pros
Free perks at local businesses
Cons
short lunches and breaks
fast paced enviroment , with top notch employees
lead hand , assembler spare person (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 December 2015
it was very fast paced work which at times your had to learn jobs on the go and put your time in to advance and if you showed the company you could do what they wanted the you could succeed
Pros
good pay
Cons
you had to deffinetly work for your money
Excellent working environment, pure fun, very energetic place to work
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
Thia was a learning organization, we provided lots of opportunity for store staff to move up in the organization with the righ training. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company, it was a team environment and I really enjoy working with a team. This company does so much for its employees. No day is really typical in HR that the enjoyment of working in HR.
Pros
employee leasing plan, discount on GM cars
Cons
travel was involved when GM acquired Financialinx, travel to Texas was required
Productive and ever changing environment.
Materials Supervisor - Car and Truck Plants (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 October 2015
I enjoy my day @ General Motors. Every shift brings new challenges and opportunities for growth.
I enjoy working on 3rd shift, and must rely on my training and experience to fulfill challenges which occur.
Pros
Team Environment, and different challenges daily.
Cons
No room for advancement
Satisfying and challenging
Press technician/Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 October 2015
Being a transfer press operator was a very satisfying,challengeing job. Suppervisors were excellent to work for co-workers were great to work with.Hardest part of the job was when the press broke down.The best part of the job, great prodution numbers at the end of the day.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
traffic at the end of the day
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 July 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
So much teaching/learning, so much variety
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  London ON6 October 2015
General Motors has built many, many locomotives for here and abroad. This was a large shop with many welders which equates to so much knowledge that is/was passed throughout the shop. Truly a gold mine of information.
Pros
Lots of training, lots of variety
Cons
Lack of freedom regarding OT
Sales Representative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
used and new car sales
called clients and potential leads
followed up on previous clients
set goals and worked towards accomplishing them
Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 May 2015
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Pros
Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons
Uneasiness about layoffs.
Enjoyable and valuable work experience
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 May 2015
A typical day beings with being assigned your working area, which may differ each shift. You start in your area by setting up essentials that you need to use throughout your shift (mainly being food, stocking utensils. You learn efficiency during this process as well as how other areas work if you are assigned to an unfamiliar work space. Management is close the the other employees, and they are regularly by your side to help during working hours and also there to help with any issues you may have. This job is a demanding one due to the fast paced nature of it, which can become difficult, especially if something does not go to plan. However, the working environment is a very nice one and is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 May 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
Cons
Fun place to work as internship
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 December 2015
Nice place to worked at with amazing co-workers and management. Very friendly atmosphere to be around, very supportive and ready to help always.
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 May 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
Great Group fo fellow employees
Material Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 July 2015
Busy and sometimes stressful, learned some computer skills, great group of surpervisors that I worked for over 30 years, however through later years GMs drive to be more competitive has led to less training for its employees! Made several good friends over the years!
Pros
Wages, benefits, pension!
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 February 2015
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Hours
Pleasure to work for, had to grind to make sales
Sales & Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 November 2015
Management was amazing and great to work for. Looking to get out of the car business and explore new ventures.

A lot of fun to work for, made sales feel less grueling than it actually was.
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 September 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Lack of Managerial effectiveness

4.2