General Motors Employee Reviews

Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 May 2015
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Pros
Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons
Uneasiness about layoffs.
Enjoyable time interacting with customers
Quick Food Service Attendant/Busser (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2015
A typical shift would consist of me cleaning, organizing and sanitizing condiment stands for the hockey arena

I learned some valuable social skills in this job, I enjoyed listening to everyone's story but had to balance listening and cleaning.

The best part of my job was hearing all of the compliments about my condiment stands cleanliness from both staff and customers.
Pros
Good work schedule
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 February 2015
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Hours
Sales Representative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
used and new car sales
called clients and potential leads
followed up on previous clients
set goals and worked towards accomplishing them
Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 April 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
Fast paced enterprise
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 November 2013
It is difficult to describe GM from a technology perspective, since up until this year, they did not really have an IT division in their portfolio. However, I have been working for GM for the last 15 years in IT indirectly (through EDS, and HP), and now directly.

GM is moving very quickly and steady towards new innovation. It's exciting to see how this will pan out. It's been nice that I've been able to work on many different things. I'm the type of person that likes to be challenged. I love to learn new things. From this perspective, GM is great.

On the flip-side, GM has really tightened up their budgeting. They are looking at every expense in detail. They do their homework when it comes to making decisions. Therefore, they're also very tight with compensation. I have yet to see an example of "pay for performance" from a personal level.
Pros
Lots of different opportunities in IT. Nearly unlimited.
Cons
Very conservative with compensation.
fast paced enviroment , with top notch employees
lead hand , assembler spare person (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 December 2015
it was very fast paced work which at times your had to learn jobs on the go and put your time in to advance and if you showed the company you could do what they wanted the you could succeed
Pros
good pay
Cons
you had to deffinetly work for your money
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 January 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Treated like rats by the staff.
good pay - very repetitive work
Material Handler/DockTec (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 January 2014
assembly line work - no room to advance to a better job for the first 10 years or so - people great to work with - management like many other companies mix of good and bad - hardest part is the boredom associated with repetitive work
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
boring work
Good place to work, had no issues. Treated with respect by management and co-workers
Automotive Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,Ontario24 October 2012
Would report to supervisor and get my job task for the day. I was performing the function of a Utility Relief operator. Worked in Body shop all of my time as a G.M employee. Learned how to perform approximately 40 jobs and 20 of those functions were performed on the assembly line. Could perform all tasks at line speed. Management allways treated me with respect,as I allways performed all of my tasks,to the best of my ability.All of my co-workers were great people, and treated me with respect.We all got along with each other. Hardest part of the job would be the wear and tear on your body. Heavy lifting in some areas. Most enjoyable part would be,the people on the shop floor. All there for the same thing. Build the best product defect free for our customers.
Pros
being able to see a vehicle being build from start to finish
Cons
hard work, tough on the body.
Excellent working environment, pure fun, very energetic place to work
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
Thia was a learning organization, we provided lots of opportunity for store staff to move up in the organization with the righ training. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company, it was a team environment and I really enjoy working with a team. This company does so much for its employees. No day is really typical in HR that the enjoyment of working in HR.
Pros
employee leasing plan, discount on GM cars
Cons
travel was involved when GM acquired Financialinx, travel to Texas was required
First job out of college and was a great experience
Order Management (Current Employee) –  Ontario3 July 2012
The job was interesting but the culture has changed very much since the bailout. If a GM employee you get far better treatment than being that of a contract worker.
Pros
great management
Cons
poorly taken care of building, low wage
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 January 2013
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 September 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Lack of Managerial effectiveness
Satisfying and challenging
Press technician/Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 October 2015
Being a transfer press operator was a very satisfying,challengeing job. Suppervisors were excellent to work for co-workers were great to work with.Hardest part of the job was when the press broke down.The best part of the job, great prodution numbers at the end of the day.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
traffic at the end of the day
General Motors
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, On30 December 2014
I enjoyed working here and if the Truck Plant hadn't closed I would still be there
Pros
Culture of advancement for those who earned it
Cons
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 July 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
ok
MACHINE OPERATOR & LABOURER (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 February 2013
Great people there but management doesn't care for it's workers
Pros
the rate of pay is good
Cons
benefits are getting worse every contract and jobs are getting faster
Nowhere better to work!
Computer Programmer and Warranty Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 May 2015
The best thing that ever happened to me was landing a job at GM. No company is perfect, and there's always going to be something you don't like or don't agree with, but overall I was very challenged, motivated, and monetarily rewarded for my efforts.
Pros
job security
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario15 July 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.

4.2