General Motors Employee Reviews

A very enjoyable experience as a customer service representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Across CanadaFebruary 1, 2015
We were offered the opportunity to be fully trained in General Motors products and services and subsequently travel across the country and staff regional and international auto shows. Worked with a fantastic group of people and the management was very supportive.
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Lack of Managerial effectiveness
productive
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 1, 2015
work in the morning and in afternoon,past pace environment,punctual,the management are nice and approachable people,the hardest part of the job is working at night shift.I have a friendly co worker
Pros
good benefits
Cons
minimum hours
Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2014
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
extremely repetitive
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Seasonal Work
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Repetitive Work, Short Breaks and Lunch
A Company in Transition
Truck Plant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
General Motors has been the worlds largest car manufacturer for a great many years. It is owned by a series of share holders that in my opinion interfere with its ability to adapt to the newer world markets.They are in a state of transition between old world and new.At my time of employ they were having trouble embracing the new world ways of manufacturing. I hope that they survive in the future for the sake of all of us.They have produced some truly iconic vehicles.They like any other company have good and bad in them.
Pros
Well paid if you were full time
Cons
A harsh environment to work in sometimes
Great Place to work
Cafeteria employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 16, 2014
When I got to work there was always people saying hello and Being very gracious.
I learned how to prepare food for the cafeteria and serve to employees of general motors Canada I also got tours of The G.M Centre it was really Cool to see the Truck plant and car plant lines and how the employees there were definitely a team
My work make a difference in the production of vehicle.
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONNovember 26, 2013
Working in a cold envirement,communicate oraly and in writing part failures or problems to technicians. Moving and charging batteries at charging station. Pushing vehicle with push trucks performing oil changes. I consider myself a people person and my co-workers are not comfortable to ask me for help. The hardest part of the job would be driving in stormy weather. What I enjoyed the most is that I spend a lot of time driving and working outdoors.
Pros
outdoor work
Cons
Seasonal work only
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees.
ASSEMBLER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 23, 2013
It was a pleasure to be associated with a first rate company that always held safety as its highest priority. There was always learning opportunities available and advancement opportunities if you chose them. I worked with some of the most dedicated people in the industry and it showed in our quality records.The work had its challenges as there are 14 000 or more parts on any typical vehicle and keeping everything perfect was challenging , at the end of the day it was rewarding to know that an excellent product was going to an eager customer.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits as well as great co-workers
Cons
N/A
Culture in the company is excellent, but at this time, vive in the workplace is poor due to business reorganization.
Executive Assistant, SALES, MARKETING & DEPT (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJune 24, 2012
Company has a very nice business culture. Everyone is so nice to work with. Pleasant atmosphere all the time. Management is excellent, treats their employees with utmost respect. Co-workers are fun to work with, like an extended family type of culture. The job is most enjoyable as everyone else is getting along well.

If not for re-organization in the company, I will be staying there until my time to retire is due.
Pros
fitness gym in the building
Cons
reorganizing all the time. there seems to be no security in every one's job anymore.
A safe and positive work environment that has provided well for my family
Fork Lift Operator/Janitorial/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 6, 2013
A fast paced work environment, where we all had to work together.
Time management was most important.I have worked with some great people who have different interests and opinions which has made me a more versatile person.The hardest part of the job was making split second decisions that could have impacted productivity and time restraints. The best part was seeing my efforts come to fruiton.
Pros
great career with many perks
Cons
excessive heat and noise
see below
Tooling Designer and Processor (Former Employee) –  General Motors - Oshawa - Car Plant - ChassisApril 10, 2012
Challenging, fast paced, Progressive leadership roles, Ability to mentor groups to achieve goals.
Satisfaction of job well done at conclusion of day to day assignments.
Enjoyed working with vast cross sections multi-functional unionized skilled trades both inside and outside workers..
Ability to work with the Quality Control Systems Groups for collection of data to drive research, analysis, & strategic planning.
Fast paced and very interesting.
Group Leader Prismatics (Current Employee) –  St. CatharinesJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day is usually a minimum of 9 hrs. My position is to support the hourly Team Leaders in all aspects of the process. My co-workers are a mix, covering all levels of experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the teams succeed in an issue that they planned, worked on and completed with positive results.
Pros
Comfort zone. I have worked for GM in many capacities over 35 years.
Cons
At times long hours.
General Motors
Job Setter & Machine Set (Former Employee) –  WindsorSeptember 27, 2012
Working in this facility for thirty years was great. I had the opportunity to learn on the job every day I was there and I also made some very good friends.
Having worked in different jobs within this facilty I believe it has given me a varied education in the manufacturing industry and I know I can put this to good use where ever I work in the future.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits, job security, intersting work.
Cons
shift work
Good people with freedom in the role
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 19, 2013
I was headhunted for this job, GM is trying to get back into the leasing side of the car business. Due to changes in the senior management structure and territories, I am no longer part of this organization.
A typical day with this company was travelling to GM stores in a designated territory and training new sales people on leasing
Pros
great people, freedom, working on your own
Cons
alot of driving
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2014
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Cons
Long commute to and from work.
General Motors of Canada Limited is a Dynamic Work Place Environment and Culture
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2012
General Motors of Canada Limited is a large Cooperation. The Enterprise have many different divisions of companies within its organization. Each company functions within its defined departments to achieve the company goals. From Management to the workers are part of its daily operational objectives.
A typical day at work are meetings, gathering informations, review informations and then perform form-fit-function functional process. The hardest part of the job is the human relationship, it is the communication between management and their co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is every other Friday, we call it TGIF my friend!
Pros
free breakfast some time...
Cons
long hours...
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.

4.2