General Motors Employee Reviews

Enjoyable time interacting with customers
Quick Food Service Attendant/Busser (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2015
A typical shift would consist of me cleaning, organizing and sanitizing condiment stands for the hockey arena

I learned some valuable social skills in this job, I enjoyed listening to everyone's story but had to balance listening and cleaning.

The best part of my job was hearing all of the compliments about my condiment stands cleanliness from both staff and customers.
Pros
Good work schedule
Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
Pleasure to work for, had to grind to make sales
Sales & Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 November 2015
Management was amazing and great to work for. Looking to get out of the car business and explore new ventures.

A lot of fun to work for, made sales feel less grueling than it actually was.
Fast paced line work.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2015
A typical day at work at GM would be very fast paced I would fasten steering rods to the car using an air gun, and clip the splashguards to the bottom.
Pros
High salary
Cons
Hard on body
Productive and ever changing environment.
Materials Supervisor - Car and Truck Plants (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 October 2015
I enjoy my day @ General Motors. Every shift brings new challenges and opportunities for growth.
I enjoy working on 3rd shift, and must rely on my training and experience to fulfill challenges which occur.
Pros
Team Environment, and different challenges daily.
Cons
No room for advancement
Satisfying and challenging
Press technician/Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 October 2015
Being a transfer press operator was a very satisfying,challengeing job. Suppervisors were excellent to work for co-workers were great to work with.Hardest part of the job was when the press broke down.The best part of the job, great prodution numbers at the end of the day.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
traffic at the end of the day
Great wages, steady work. good care
Weapons assembly technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 October 2015
Great place to work , excellent benifitsgood hours lots of paid holidays and always willing to make sure we had the right tools for the job
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
can get hectic but still good
So much teaching/learning, so much variety
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  London ON6 October 2015
General Motors has built many, many locomotives for here and abroad. This was a large shop with many welders which equates to so much knowledge that is/was passed throughout the shop. Truly a gold mine of information.
Pros
Lots of training, lots of variety
Cons
Lack of freedom regarding OT
relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markham6 October 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
Its fine as a short term job, but nothing more
BOH Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario1 October 2015
The place used to be fun to work at, but with its recent spike in popularity, the job is now more tedious and stressful than ever before.
Pros
Food with break, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, work does not equal pay, stressful
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawa23 September 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
Good Student Position
General Labourer (Temporary Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 September 2015
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
Excellent working environment, pure fun, very energetic place to work
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
Thia was a learning organization, we provided lots of opportunity for store staff to move up in the organization with the righ training. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company, it was a team environment and I really enjoy working with a team. This company does so much for its employees. No day is really typical in HR that the enjoyment of working in HR.
Pros
employee leasing plan, discount on GM cars
Cons
travel was involved when GM acquired Financialinx, travel to Texas was required
It was phenomenal
CAE (Computer Aided Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa Ontario12 August 2015
For me personally it was a great experience as a mechanical engineering intern. Typical day of work for the majority of my term was, check emails, start work that I had scheduled out for myself (ex. complete mesh fixes for hood (different programs), get certain part of project done, go to meeting, lunch, finish work I had planned, write down what needs to be done for tomorrow (personal thing I had started doing as a reminder) and then time to go home. Work life balance that was outlined by my manager was great, allowed us to manage our own time and trusted us to complete our work. The environment was constructed to allow individuals to grow in terms of technical ability and also showcase the different achievements or findings they came across to the local team. My coworkers were always helpful and mindful that I was still developing as a junior CAE, they literally never turned down my need of assistance whether it was for software or a structural assessment for a specific component or work order. Allowed us to see the physical side of the job (the actual plant where some of the parts were being made was across the street from us), we were shown this on the tour for interns. Overall the job encouraged growth, doing work you thought would benefit the company and the customer. Thought it was an amazing intern job. Also a bunch of extra curricular activities like team lunches/team building exercises, as well as larger scale activities like a summer barbecue for the centre or a basketball/foosball tournament.
Pros
Basketball/foosball tournaments, team lunches, team building excersizes, lead your own project later on in the term
Great Group fo fellow employees
Material Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 July 2015
Busy and sometimes stressful, learned some computer skills, great group of surpervisors that I worked for over 30 years, however through later years GMs drive to be more competitive has led to less training for its employees! Made several good friends over the years!
Pros
Wages, benefits, pension!
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 July 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario15 July 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
Great wages
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 July 2015
In my employment at General Motors I have been exposed to many different jobs on different shifts.General Motors provides great pay.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario29 June 2015
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
close distance from home
Cons
not enough variety in daily work
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 May 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A

4.2