General Motors

General Motors Employee Reviews

It was a satisfactory work envivonment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 30, 2016
I enjoyed material handling once I attained the seniority to work in that department.
My work experience and ethic would be an asset to your company.
Productive and fun workplace
Maintenance Supervisor / Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 15, 2016
My experience at GM West Paint Shop is fun, always learning new things, working with many different machines and paints, and communicating with many people. Every employee in the WPS are kind, friendly and really great people to work with.
Great place
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 27, 2016
Facility is amazing.

First time working on a car line was a great experience.

Great bunch of people to work with.

Would have liked to work longer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work stoppages
excellent work force
Car and truck assembly line operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 16, 2016
Management were available to answer any question about the required duties and co-workers well trained. Training in terms of work place health and safety was excellent.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
Cons
certain hours of operation
Electrican (Former Employee) –  St. Catherines, PEMay 5, 2016
I have spent 31 yrs at General Motors and It has been a great learning experience for me. The environment was very positive. The people are very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Great wages & benefits
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawaSeptember 23, 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
The first 25 years flew by. Last 5 were tough
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 19, 2016
mostly good people.Learned about time management. I learned how to work with both hands equally .I enjoyed working with different people, of different backgrounds.
Pros
the people
Cons
physically demanding
relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markhamOctober 6, 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 16, 2016
- Taking orders

- How to help multiple people at once while serving food

- Supervisors are very professional

- Coworkers are all friendly

- Hardest part is getting customer's attention

- Meeting new customers everyday!
Great Group fo fellow employees
Material Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 26, 2015
Busy and sometimes stressful, learned some computer skills, great group of surpervisors that I worked for over 30 years, however through later years GMs drive to be more competitive has led to less training for its employees! Made several good friends over the years!
Pros
Wages, benefits, pension!
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
great place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 12, 2016
was a team leader had great people to work with.management were great we were all just trying to build a great product . and be proud it was built in canada
Pros
great money
Fast Paced
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The work at the general motors centre is consistent and constant. It is very high paced and easy. The co-worker that you meet there are wonderful whole hearted people that you will have the pleasure to work with. The supervisors are wonderful and very helpful. The fans are very nice and understanding. There is a lot of opportunity to work some very cool events.
Pros
Cool events
Cons
not many hours
Productive and ever changing environment.
Materials Supervisor - Car and Truck Plants (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
I enjoy my day @ General Motors. Every shift brings new challenges and opportunities for growth.
I enjoy working on 3rd shift, and must rely on my training and experience to fulfill challenges which occur.
Pros
Team Environment, and different challenges daily.
Cons
No room for advancement
Highly productive in a professional way
Senior Manufacturing Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIFebruary 28, 2016
Full workday with assignments and meetings to attend in a very fulfilling work environment. learned quite a bit from my colleagues and the organizational structure setting.
Assembly Line Worker
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Followed proper job requirements consistently throughout each day of work. Stayed up to date with safety requirements and procedures. Working on the line kept me on my toes and took great attention to detail. The plant has such an open environment that I got to meet some great folks while working there.
Team enviorment
Material Handling & Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Material Handling Supervisor-OshawaFebruary 24, 2016
Very professional and balanced place where people worked to build a great product,Union and company working together.
Pros
Great working hours being a 24 hour operation.
Cons
N/A
Its fine as a short term job, but nothing more
BOH Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioOctober 1, 2015
The place used to be fun to work at, but with its recent spike in popularity, the job is now more tedious and stressful than ever before.
Pros
Food with break, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, work does not equal pay, stressful
Pleasure to work for, had to grind to make sales
Sales & Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 3, 2015
Management was amazing and great to work for. Looking to get out of the car business and explore new ventures.

A lot of fun to work for, made sales feel less grueling than it actually was.
nothing ever changed
Temporary Full- time (SWED) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 18, 2016
not a bad place to work, but working on the line and doing the same thing over and over again got to be a tad bit boring. lots of nice people who made working there not so bad. Learned lots and gained some knowledge
Pros
good money, nice people, good enviroment
Cons
short breaks, boring at times

4.2