General Motors Employee Reviews

general motors summer replacement
production technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 August 2016
typical day at work was loading automotive parts into robot welding stations. I learned that what most people believe is a soft job with good pay, turns out to be some of the hardest work I have ever done and was required to keep up the pace for a complete shift
Pros
learning experiace of life in the auto industry
Cons
only had limited time on the job due to several weeks of lay-offs
Management is lost.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2016
This is a fast-paced industry, a lot of scheduling, a lot of people stretched thin doing their best in several roles and a lot of stress. I thrive in this environment and loved the job itself.

The problem with this place is the management being inexperienced. They make outlandish demands of people with no experience in one line of business because they fired or forced the previous people to quit, they constantly make promises in order to get people to do something they're barely able to and never deliver.

The law of this place was to make sure every single thing they offer you is on paper, because if it's not written down and bound by law, they will back out of it.

The place is run like a puppy mill, and the staff are the dogs, being flexible and eager to serve in all aspects is not enough to succeed in this place.
Pros
Decent benefits after one year if you make it.
Cons
Management dehumanizes their staff, high turnover rate.
Fast-pace
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 September 2016
Fast-pace, safety as the overall priority, and customer satisfaction. Middle and senior management could focus more on employee strengths. Be more positive and constructive, encourage innovation, lead by example, better communication, show empathy, develop and train staff more effectively.
Enjoted the people I worked with
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 August 2016
Found it fun, had a small business at GM made coffee and sold snacks while on the line working...Very good multitasking, and stocking I would enjoy alot...Really missed working there, 26 years experience...I work really good with people.Would love to work at dollarame.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
layoffs
I am student and working on project Assocoiated and sponsored by GM
GM Pace Project (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2016
currently, I am working on a project that is the part of GM PACE competition. It has been a great opportunity to work under the guidance of professors and employees from GM. Whenever my team has any problem they helped us a lot. With their support, we are able to achieve the top ten position in this competition and hoping to win this.
productive
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 September 2016
laid back company to work for. As a student, i was on call so i didn't get many shifts which was the only downside to working there, but the environment in the plant was great everyone was wonderful.
Pros
two breaks plus lunch break
Cons
not as many hours as id liked
Laid back, decent place to work with good pay.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 July 2016
A typical day is to begin your shift at 6:30am with driving and testing vehicles till 2:30pm when your shift is over. My co-workers were great to work with as well as management for the most part. Hardest part of the job would be the repetitive nature of factory work. Other than that it was good.
IT Incident Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON13 July 2016
The people and atmosphere are great. They are very accommodating and easy to work with. I learned so very much and took so many courses. My co--workers were a pleasure to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendliness of everyone I came across.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Alot of hours but well paid
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON29 September 2016
General motors manufacturing jobs require a lot of comittment. Between 5-7 days a week. Very well paid, and fast paced environment. Requires technical knowledge and very strong people skills.
Pros
pay
various types of automation
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Ontario15 November 2016
day to day production maintenance, maintain uptime, robots, plc,

overall good place to work..

Rockwell,fanuc,wtc,siemens,abb,devicenet,ethernet
Pros
good experience
Cons
shift
General Motors of Canada
Locomotive Tester Technician (Former Employee) –  2021 Oxford Street London Ontario13 July 2016
General Motors of Canada was the best company to work with. Excellent working conditions, amazing pay, and excellent benefits.
Pros
General Motors is the best company
Cons
there are no cons they were the best in the field of Locomotives
Waiting for contract negotiations
Machine Tool Setter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 April 2016
Contract will be a pivotal time at this plant. the people are good to work with, direct supervisors are good to work with. machining lines, assembly lines, none of the jobs i've encountered are overly physical or laborious. too bad management is looking to reduce their costs by contracting out our jobs to the lowest bidder. Eventually they will pull of Canada all together....
Pros
flexible with time off in my department
Cons
supplemental work force employee = temp = second class citizen
Very talented management
Lighting Program Manager Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 May 2016
Great team to work with and the management was very talented at getting the best from their people. The GM systems are rather complex and sometimes cumbersome but quite effective regarding global communication for a large corporation.
Pros
compationate work place
General Motors Centre
CONVERSIONS STAFF (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 July 2016
The General Motors Centre not GM. Just a bad place to work, no room to move up and very little hours. Management will lay you off without any notice, no breaks and poor paid. Management picks who will move up.
Pros
Cons
The job
fast paced environment
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  oshawa19 September 2016
working for general motors was a good job
also paid really well and fast work and always busy and lots of hours and loved the vacation you get in the summer and winter.
Engine machining production
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St.Catherines On26 October 2016
General motors was a great company to work for I learned a tremendous amount at this company on production and customer focus
Productive learning environment
Production and Assembly Line Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 June 2016
Working at General Motors has prepared me for future leadership positions centered in a team-work environment. The culture of the workplace was conducive to learning.
Excellent job for summer student
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 May 2016
Worked in truck plant for two summers and enjoyed every minute of it. I wish i could have become a full time employee. Wage and benefits package are excellent. The co workers and shifts were very easy to incorporate in to my life.
Food Service
Server / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 June 2016
Served food within different departments of the facility, nightly cleanings, and nightly cash deposits.

Most enjoyable part was working during special events and seeing different performers and artist.
Productive and fun workplace
Maintenance Supervisor / Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 April 2016
My experience at GM West Paint Shop is fun, always learning new things, working with many different machines and paints, and communicating with many people. Every employee in the WPS are kind, friendly and really great people to work with.

4.2