General Motors Employee Reviews

Management is lost.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2016
This is a fast-paced industry, a lot of scheduling, a lot of people stretched thin doing their best in several roles and a lot of stress. I thrive in this environment and loved the job itself.

The problem with this place is the management being inexperienced. They make outlandish demands of people with no experience in one line of business because they fired or forced the previous people to quit, they constantly make promises in order to get people to do something they're barely able to and never deliver.

The law of this place was to make sure every single thing they offer you is on paper, because if it's not written down and bound by law, they will back out of it.

The place is run like a puppy mill, and the staff are the dogs, being flexible and eager to serve in all aspects is not enough to succeed in this place.
Pros
Decent benefits after one year if you make it.
Cons
Management dehumanizes their staff, high turnover rate.
Fast-pace
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 September 2016
Fast-pace, safety as the overall priority, and customer satisfaction. Middle and senior management could focus more on employee strengths. Be more positive and constructive, encourage innovation, lead by example, better communication, show empathy, develop and train staff more effectively.
excellent work force
Car and truck assembly line operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 April 2016
Management were available to answer any question about the required duties and co-workers well trained. Training in terms of work place health and safety was excellent.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
Cons
certain hours of operation
Laid back, decent place to work with good pay.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 July 2016
A typical day is to begin your shift at 6:30am with driving and testing vehicles till 2:30pm when your shift is over. My co-workers were great to work with as well as management for the most part. Hardest part of the job would be the repetitive nature of factory work. Other than that it was good.
General Motors of Canada
Locomotive Tester Technician (Former Employee) –  2021 Oxford Street London Ontario13 July 2016
General Motors of Canada was the best company to work with. Excellent working conditions, amazing pay, and excellent benefits.
Pros
General Motors is the best company
Cons
there are no cons they were the best in the field of Locomotives
Waiting for contract negotiations
Machine Tool Setter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 April 2016
Contract will be a pivotal time at this plant. the people are good to work with, direct supervisors are good to work with. machining lines, assembly lines, none of the jobs i've encountered are overly physical or laborious. too bad management is looking to reduce their costs by contracting out our jobs to the lowest bidder. Eventually they will pull of Canada all together....
Pros
flexible with time off in my department
Cons
supplemental work force employee = temp = second class citizen
Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
General Motors Centre
CONVERSIONS STAFF (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 July 2016
The General Motors Centre not GM. Just a bad place to work, no room to move up and very little hours. Management will lay you off without any notice, no breaks and poor paid. Management picks who will move up.
Pros
Cons
The job
Productive learning environment
Production and Assembly Line Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 June 2016
Working at General Motors has prepared me for future leadership positions centered in a team-work environment. The culture of the workplace was conducive to learning.
Very talented management
Lighting Program Manager Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 May 2016
Great team to work with and the management was very talented at getting the best from their people. The GM systems are rather complex and sometimes cumbersome but quite effective regarding global communication for a large corporation.
Pros
compationate work place
Nice place to work.
MCO Design Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 June 2016
People and managing are so friendly.

I have leaned different way to have a good project management.

This Work provide a lot of knowledge from different people in the organization
general motors summer replacement
production technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 August 2016
typical day at work was loading automotive parts into robot welding stations. I learned that what most people believe is a soft job with good pay, turns out to be some of the hardest work I have ever done and was required to keep up the pace for a complete shift
Pros
learning experiace of life in the auto industry
Cons
only had limited time on the job due to several weeks of lay-offs
Excellent job for summer student
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 May 2016
Worked in truck plant for two summers and enjoyed every minute of it. I wish i could have become a full time employee. Wage and benefits package are excellent. The co workers and shifts were very easy to incorporate in to my life.
IT Incident Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON13 July 2016
The people and atmosphere are great. They are very accommodating and easy to work with. I learned so very much and took so many courses. My co--workers were a pleasure to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendliness of everyone I came across.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Enjoted the people I worked with
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 August 2016
Found it fun, had a small business at GM made coffee and sold snacks while on the line working...Very good multitasking, and stocking I would enjoy alot...Really missed working there, 26 years experience...I work really good with people.Would love to work at dollarame.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
layoffs
I am student and working on project Assocoiated and sponsored by GM
GM Pace Project (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2016
currently, I am working on a project that is the part of GM PACE competition. It has been a great opportunity to work under the guidance of professors and employees from GM. Whenever my team has any problem they helped us a lot. With their support, we are able to achieve the top ten position in this competition and hoping to win this.
Electrican (Former Employee) –  St. Catherines, PE5 May 2016
I have spent 31 yrs at General Motors and It has been a great learning experience for me. The environment was very positive. The people are very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Great wages & benefits
productive
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 September 2016
laid back company to work for. As a student, i was on call so i didn't get many shifts which was the only downside to working there, but the environment in the plant was great everyone was wonderful.
Pros
two breaks plus lunch break
Cons
not as many hours as id liked
Engine machining production
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St.Catherines On26 October 2016
General motors was a great company to work for I learned a tremendous amount at this company on production and customer focus
Alot of hours but well paid
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON29 September 2016
General motors manufacturing jobs require a lot of comittment. Between 5-7 days a week. Very well paid, and fast paced environment. Requires technical knowledge and very strong people skills.
Pros
pay

4.2