General Motors Employee Reviews

Different challenges every day, which helps to improve my managerial skills
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 June 2017
Every day is different. Usually start by planning the day depending on what equipment is down and what is good to run.
Review inventories in order to be able to prioritize Jobs.
Fast paced well payed and monotonous
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cami Assembly21 June 2017
If you can stand working in a factory 6 days a week, building one vehicle every minute, and put up with the drama of highschool on occasion than this job might be for you. You feel like a number more than a valued employee, being in a union working harder than the next person gets you no where the only thing of value to move you ahead in a place like this is time. So again I stress you need to be able to park your self in a low seniority terrible job for the first 5-10 years than you'll slowly get better jobs that are better on your joints and body that will probably be starting to break down already so is a welcome change.
Good until you strike
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 June 2017
Job pays well really easy going however you never know when you'll be out of a job do to strikes and cutbacks no new hiring ever and plant is closing soon
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always on strike
Office Administrative Clerk (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 May 2017
The work place is far away from my previous home. But it is a great place to work. Good management. Light work load. Good people. Nice environment.
great place to work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON16 May 2017
Great place to work, co-workers over all were great, great pay, no job security, the union doesn't really help the employees, worked to many hours a week had no life out side of work.
An American Company
Bilingual Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2017
This company is run from the States with an American point of view.
They are culturally different from Canadians without any qualms about it... In this particular instance that is unfortunate...
Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 May 2017
I loved working for GM the only, being home everyday was big binus for me having come from construction. The biggest downfall is how your paid, Flat rate used to be a fair system but it has become very one sided and favors for the dealership and GM only. There are very few perks to being flat rate anymore as vehicles become more complicated and advanced. Not paying people just because a customer brought a vehicle in and the only problem was a blown fuse is not fair to the tech. It still takes time to bring in a vehicle and look at it but GM does not pay for it nor will the dealer if it's warranty.
Pros
Being
Cons
flat rate
Two Thumbs Up
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 May 2017
Office staff always kept things fun. Management was down to earth and didn't make you feel intimidated. Flex hours gave employees options to flex in and out as required. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Good job.
Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 May 2017
Management aside, the coworkers were supportive and fun to be with at work and away from work, in my position. Management was too focused on the bottom line.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bottom line focused management
good career for someone who can get in
Superviseur de production (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Thérèse, QC28 April 2017
if you can get hired its a good place to work they reconize fast if you have talent. alot of courses are offered , they also have advantages like dental blue cross medical, health and safety oriented company
Pros
money advanemet
Cons
not to many
Best place I have ever worked.
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 April 2017
Great place to work. Good wages and benefits.
Coworkers were great to work with.
Terrific skilled trades support and training from management and engineering.
Pros
Good wages and benefits
Excellent company
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 April 2017
Great experience. Excellent company to work for. Good benefits and room for advancement. Gained the importance of customer service working with human Resources and Labour Relations
Excellent hours, pay and conditions
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 April 2017
8 hour shifts
constant new technology to learn
great working conditions (all indoor)
great pay and overtime
typical day is spent being on stand by for break down calls
calls can Que up quickly
Pros
Excellent pay and working conditions
Cons
There are none
Very good workplace. Very friendly co-workers
Parts Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 April 2017
The people that GM hires are always very kind individuals that strive to help the customer any way possibly. This makes the workplace an exceptional place.
Would work again in a heartbeat
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 April 2017
GM was the best place, I had an amazing team leader, great union reps from day one and I was proud and happy of the work I did there. The work place offers an excellent cafeteria, and a great working area, clean and well kept, parts are always there, line moves at a reasonable pace. GM spends a lot of money on ergonomics and the lines pace, work is reasonable and you go home happy.

Really nice wages and benefits, this is a great place. Lay offs are too common but if you can fight through them than its home free.
Pros
great comp, great work place.
Cons
lay offs
productive good enviroment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 April 2017
I worked on an assembly line, fast pace which I didn't mind, but I like harder work, everything was very repetitive and mindless you almost feel like a robot.
benefits
Cons
bad team leader
I miss it
IT Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON2 April 2017
Great place to work but layoffs in Canada hurting many people. I learned so much about the IT industry. The people I worked with were great. Management was excellent.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
No job security.
Great people
Group Leader (Production Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 March 2017
The people you will work there are great on the front lines. The employees are fantastic as are most of the management staff. The biggest problem is the constant 7 days a week work week. While the pay is great everything else suffers and not many willing participants to come and assist you and take some OT for you.
Hard work.
Automotive Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2017
Dedicated 31 years of my life to General Motors. Provided a good life for my family. It was stable but hard work. They need more jobs like this for the next generation!
Kept very busy, learned many new things
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 March 2017
Great place to work if you are willing to learn, kept very busy as you would build almost a car a minute at some jobs. Went from job to job mostly and enjoyed that as I am a quick learner and would allow me to meet more people. At the time we (new hires) were not considered as good as older employees and were treated differently. I do believe this has changed now though, was expected to learn fast and quick in a environment were that was needed. Learned a lot about vehicles,tools, and products. This job was very hard on your body though and eventually needed to find somewhere that would not do such to my body. Was also giving very short breaks compared to the time you were working, receiving a bathroom break was also frustrating.
Pros
good money, weekends off, met lots of people
Cons
poor on your body, poor brakes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2