General Motors Employee Reviews

Overall great job
General Labourer/Utility Repairman (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 February 2017
- 8 hr shift - sometimes overtime, repetitive work
- learnt something new all the time as I changed jobs with GM on the line frequently
-management was always doing their best for the employee - sometimes their hands were tied, however mostly really great.
- I got along with pretty much everyone, I enjoy people
-the hardest part of the job was frequent changes to the positions, however mostly ending back where they started
-the most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and building quality products for the consumer.
Pros
wage and being apart of building vehicles for the community
Cons
the uncertainty of the job
Kept very busy, learned many new things
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 March 2017
Great place to work if you are willing to learn, kept very busy as you would build almost a car a minute at some jobs. Went from job to job mostly and enjoyed that as I am a quick learner and would allow me to meet more people. At the time we (new hires) were not considered as good as older employees and were treated differently. I do believe this has changed now though, was expected to learn fast and quick in a environment were that was needed. Learned a lot about vehicles,tools, and products. This job was very hard on your body though and eventually needed to find somewhere that would not do such to my body. Was also giving very short breaks compared to the time you were working, receiving a bathroom break was also frustrating.
Pros
good money, weekends off, met lots of people
Cons
poor on your body, poor brakes
Great pay and benefits; Hard work--reptitive
Assembly Technician; Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 December 2016
Automotive assembly is not a fun job. Common misconceptions about the work are much to rosy. The work is very repetitive and steady. Most jobs, particularly for newer (less than 10 years) employees, are very busy, trying to install parts on a moving line with not enough time. Scrambling to get the job done before you have to start the next one.
Vehicles at most plants are produced at a rate of approximately one per minute. Repetitive Strain injuries (tendonitis) are common.
Great industry for leading edge benefits and pay. But its no picnic. When there is a hiring blitz, many quit before the first week or even, first shift is over.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Steady, uninterrupted work; repetitive strain injury
Good paying jobs and benefits. Bad part, steady and repetitive
Assembler also Red X (problem solver) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 December 2016
Start the day doing the same thing over and over again. But with time and seniority you can move onto other jobs. I have learned how to solve issues through Red X. I have learned that working together, goals can be achieved. Management on a whole is pretty good. Depending on your supervisor. Co-workers are mostly friendly and are enjoyable as well. The hardest part of the job is the repetitiveness and the shift work. I have enjoyed working with the co-workers, moving on to different jobs. Working with Red X was great. Learning how to problem solve and working with management, engineers, vendors and assemblers.
Pros
Good pay and Benifits
Cons
jobs are repetive
Great people
Group Leader (Production Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 March 2017
The people you will work there are great on the front lines. The employees are fantastic as are most of the management staff. The biggest problem is the constant 7 days a week work week. While the pay is great everything else suffers and not many willing participants to come and assist you and take some OT for you.
Good paying job
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 January 2017
General Motors is an excellent company to work for. If you're a full time employee, you can work a stready 40 hours a week. The bathrooms are normally clean and there is access to a changeroom with showers in the basement which is a life saver.

The only downside is the layoffs, and the chemicals in the air.
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
Forced in weekends
Excellent experience!
Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 December 2016
So thankful for the opportunity to work as an engineering intern at General Motors. Trusted with managing my own projects, as well as given the freedom to contribute and collaborate to other projects. Learned a lot and look forward to applying this knowledge to next steps!
Good working conditions
Industrial Electrician, Controls engineering (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 January 2017
Gm provides a safe working environment with the emphases on Safety.
Leading edge technology at GM provided the opportunity for me to work with and learn some of the most current systems and methods of manufacturing.
Pros
Safe enviroment
Great company, good pay, confortable living
TPT - Temporary Part-Time (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 January 2017
Working here as a student it really helped me pay my way through school and afford to live alone! if it was not for GM I would not be the person I am today. for that, this company is a great place to work! if you fit into the culture
Cons
long day, good pay
Management is lost.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2016
This is a fast-paced industry, a lot of scheduling, a lot of people stretched thin doing their best in several roles and a lot of stress. I thrive in this environment and loved the job itself.

The problem with this place is the management being inexperienced. They make outlandish demands of people with no experience in one line of business because they fired or forced the previous people to quit, they constantly make promises in order to get people to do something they're barely able to and never deliver.

The law of this place was to make sure every single thing they offer you is on paper, because if it's not written down and bound by law, they will back out of it.

The place is run like a puppy mill, and the staff are the dogs, being flexible and eager to serve in all aspects is not enough to succeed in this place.
Pros
Decent benefits after one year if you make it.
Cons
Management dehumanizes their staff, high turnover rate.
Good place to learn a lot of skills in very short time
Quality Control Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON28 January 2017
Great opportunities to learn a lot of skills in a little time. Easy to move around in different departments in the company to add to your knowledge and skill set. Salary and benefits are very good.
line worker
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 February 2017
my typical day at work i loved it the salary was good but i was only a full time part time till night ended at gm my normal day was cleaning my set up up station and worked repetitively always doing the same thing to each car
Fun place to be
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 December 2016
A day at work was like christmas everyday, co workers are so friendly. I learnt how to do so many challenging jobs which was interesting. I actually miss working for general motors
Pros
Lots of breaks at work, high wage
Cons
None i can think of
Great place to showcase skills
Server/Service Bartender/Catering (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 January 2017
Good scheduling
Great food
Overall quality was great
Fun environment
Very busy and positive
Well supervised
Made good friends
Pros
Overall quality was great
Cons
Not enough hours
general motors summer replacement
production technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 August 2016
typical day at work was loading automotive parts into robot welding stations. I learned that what most people believe is a soft job with good pay, turns out to be some of the hardest work I have ever done and was required to keep up the pace for a complete shift
Pros
learning experiace of life in the auto industry
Cons
only had limited time on the job due to several weeks of lay-offs
Fast-pace
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 September 2016
Fast-pace, safety as the overall priority, and customer satisfaction. Middle and senior management could focus more on employee strengths. Be more positive and constructive, encourage innovation, lead by example, better communication, show empathy, develop and train staff more effectively.
Well balanced schedule
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 January 2017
Well accommodated to other work schedules and family lifestyles. Pleasant atmosphere with co-workers and management.
Pros
Free entertainment: Hockey, concerts, other entertainment
Cons
It was Part-time
A good brand with good potential
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QC23 January 2017
As a dealership it faces the challenge of West Island clientele well. The brand itself has difficulties delivering a consistent product across the line but it is improving.
Great Place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 January 2017
Good professional work environment, good pay. Room for advancement. Culture is good. Typical day for me was very dynamic and required a high degree of organizational skills
productive workplace
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 January 2017
General motors is a good place to work because of their exceptional benefit packages that they have. Not only are the benefits handy the wages are good as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2