General Motors Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
good place to work
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 September 2017
Nice place to work. Good friends go in straight to job
line starts turn on music talk to workers and do your job.
day go's by well. Good laffs love the place.
Pros
good pay
Cons
wear on the body
Stamping Plant
Press Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 September 2017
Spent a over 30 years working for this company; great team - good salary and benefits at the time I worked for them. I don't think the benefits and salary are the same now.
Cons
Great place to work, safety was our number one priority
MANUFACTURING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 September 2017
Typical day would include the previous week setting up the schedule for man power and production for the following week.
I personally managed a group of 30+ employee but there were multiple department each with their own agenda collaborating together.
Team work was very important and dailiy communication was neccesary for shift work to continue running smoothly.
Pros
Alternative shifts
placement
One month placement position, Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 August 2017
General motors was only a 1 month college placement. Very fast pace and i had to work with about 20 unionized workers. I gained experience of recording workers performance, making sure stations were maintained, taking samples of car doors to see if they meet the standards. I loved being with GM because it the experience of my field.
Only there for the paycheque
Skilled Trade (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON7 August 2017
A job, not a career. Very dysfunctional management. Get used to working shift work six days a week, every week. Minimal training. Poor corporate culture.
Pros
Steady paycheque.
Cons
No life outside of work
Fastpaced
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON24 July 2017
Show up to your startup meeting. Go to your specified team put on your music and go to work.
Learned basics of how a vehicle is assembled from the welding department all the way to the end quality product.
Workplace was fast paced with little downtime or room for error.
Hardest part of the job was the pressure of being a new employee and trying to work through the stress and keep up with the target times.
Enjoyed being able to wear headphones with whatever music I preferred.
Pros
Well Paid
Cons
Mandatory Saturdays
Fun people with an alright environment.
Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON19 July 2017
the work was good and easy, the people were amazing but the management is by far the worst ive ever seen. no one was on the same page and all had different agenda's and was just an outright circus. what made the job were the people you work with that also had enough with management. if i were offered an oppertunity to work there again in the same position i would not. they lied to the government about my employment and the ending of my employment and can not be trusted as an employer.
Pros
People
Cons
People
A fast paced, time sensitive workplace.
Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON17 July 2017
A fast paced, time sensitive job in all departments. A wide range of job training and work experience from Warehouse to clerical. I learned to multitask and get along with many people.
Pros
paid well
Cons
long years of work
Friendly Staff at all levels
Temporary Part Time (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 July 2017
Everyone was great to work with and understood the work/life balance and shift changes regarding it. Never had an issue with moving schedules or meeting requirements.
Good place to work.
Full Stack Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 July 2017
we work in a agile environment where we normally have our scrum standup meetings early in the morning where we used to update what have done the previous day and we are going to do the following day and later on move on to scheduled meetings if had any and move on to programming. It is a very passionate place to work with filled with passionate people and integration between the pods where they used to discuss about the requirements they had .

Want to know more about General Motors?

Ask a question
Good money, low job security.
Assembly Line - Paint Shop TPT (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 June 2017
The wages were very good, but the hours were unpredictable and uncertain. I did enjoy the assembly line environment thought and would definitely consider it again.
Not a place to stay.
Production Worker at the GM Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 June 2017
Anyone working on the line at General motors will let you know that it is not a place you want to stay for long. It's manual labour and corporate is constantly fighting the union to cut your pay, benefits, and pension. General Motors has a long way to go if it ever wants to provide job security and a work-life balance to its blue collar workers.
Different challenges every day, which helps to improve my managerial skills
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 June 2017
Every day is different. Usually start by planning the day depending on what equipment is down and what is good to run.
Review inventories in order to be able to prioritize Jobs.
Fast paced well payed and monotonous
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cami Assembly21 June 2017
If you can stand working in a factory 6 days a week, building one vehicle every minute, and put up with the drama of highschool on occasion than this job might be for you. You feel like a number more than a valued employee, being in a union working harder than the next person gets you no where the only thing of value to move you ahead in a place like this is time. So again I stress you need to be able to park your self in a low seniority terrible job for the first 5-10 years than you'll slowly get better jobs that are better on your joints and body that will probably be starting to break down already so is a welcome change.
Good until you strike
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 June 2017
Job pays well really easy going however you never know when you'll be out of a job do to strikes and cutbacks no new hiring ever and plant is closing soon
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always on strike
Office Administrative Clerk (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 May 2017
The work place is far away from my previous home. But it is a great place to work. Good management. Light work load. Good people. Nice environment.
great place to work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON16 May 2017
Great place to work, co-workers over all were great, great pay, no job security, the union doesn't really help the employees, worked to many hours a week had no life out side of work.
An American Company
Bilingual Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2017
This company is run from the States with an American point of view.
They are culturally different from Canadians without any qualms about it... In this particular instance that is unfortunate...
Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 May 2017
I loved working for GM the only, being home everyday was big binus for me having come from construction. The biggest downfall is how your paid, Flat rate used to be a fair system but it has become very one sided and favors for the dealership and GM only. There are very few perks to being flat rate anymore as vehicles become more complicated and advanced. Not paying people just because a customer brought a vehicle in and the only problem was a blown fuse is not fair to the tech. It still takes time to bring in a vehicle and look at it but GM does not pay for it nor will the dealer if it's warranty.
Pros
Being
Cons
flat rate
Two Thumbs Up
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 May 2017
Office staff always kept things fun. Management was down to earth and didn't make you feel intimidated. Flex hours gave employees options to flex in and out as required. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
Good pay and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2