General Motors Employee Reviews

Excellent pay, great people to work with
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2017
Love the people I work with and the pay is excellent ... GM has really been trying lately to be more of a fair employer and it has made it a better workplace
Pros
Excellent pay, set hours
Cons
Short breaks
Overall is a great Company to work for, with great benefits package and a bright future.
Global Innovation Lead for BFG (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI30 November 2017
It could benefit from better work/life balance.
It is a good company for professional wroth.
Physically Demanding
Utility Repair / Spare (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 November 2017
The assembly line has evolved at GM. It is fast paced and highly stressful. Repetitive stress injuries are common. The company is constantly trying to improve its process.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Stability is reliant on the market.
Poor Management
Car start/Gas fill/Underbody/AGV (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 November 2017
In the beginning it was a good place to work. Nice co-workers, good pay. Management was poor they only looked out for themselves. Treated employees poorly.
Pros
Good pay, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of employees, not treated equally
Great place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 November 2017
General Motors allowed me to raise my family in a comfortable and secure manner, as I was employed there for over 30 years. My wages and benefits were above the norm for other factory workers, which made it possible for my family to experience many extras that were not available to other factory workers. I gained many friends, positive experiences, as well as benefits that continue now into my retirement from GM.
Fun and challenging
Operations Supervisor/Quality Control & Franchisee (Former Employee) –  VE20 November 2017
Great inclusive work environment. Very challenging day to day work. Excellent people to work with. The best experience to work with so knowledgeable people.
Strict management, but the job was fun
Production Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 November 2017
I learnt a lot during my time with GM. My managers were efficient in teaching me how to make decisions on my own but also backed me up when I needed them.
Great place to work, receive pension, varied experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 November 2017
Great place to work, after 30 yrs, I received a great pension. Got alot of vacation time and enjoyed long weekend off with my family. I was exposed to many different jobs on the line and it was a great experience
Great Company to work for
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 October 2017
Great Company I worked there until I retired. Salary / benefits and unionized.
I worked in the Oshawa plant in various positions. There have been numerous changes in the company
A nice workplace with a need of New Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Delhi19 October 2017
New Thoughts needed in the company , Like most other large corporations, General Motors has an enormous and complex multi-level, interconnected corporate portfolio. Nested in the corporate portfolio are portfolios of divisions, of brands within divisions, of models within brands, of cosmetic and mechanical variations within models, of market segments, of manufacturing plants, of supply chains, and of dealers
Enjoyed my time working there as it provided a living and life for my family.
Receiving Tech (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 October 2017
My first twelve years was on production which was mostly same routine daily with the boredom factor to deal with. Material handling removed that element. Learned more about inner working of large corporations when asked to do a few special assignments for my department. Most enjoyable would be the earned respect of my fellow work mates.
Pros
Benefits for my young family while they were growing up.
Cons
Time away from family to earn those benefits
Valuable experience for a fresh out of school graduate
Design Release Engineer- Underbody (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI28 September 2017
Started working as a design release engineer, mirroring my senior on a very important program and gradually started to manage my own parts. From the initial design to the costs for parts, including the DFMEA aspect for these particular parts. Overall a very good experience.
Great money at a horrible price
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 September 2017
While the pay is excellent there is no job security and the jobs are set up so that your whole body takes a beating. Lifetime pain is a result of working here.

The Union is a joke and only protects themselves. It is all about keeping the union position not about making it better for the membership.
good place to work
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 September 2017
Nice place to work. Good friends go in straight to job
line starts turn on music talk to workers and do your job.
day go's by well. Good laffs love the place.
Pros
good pay
Cons
wear on the body
Stamping Plant
Press Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 September 2017
Spent a over 30 years working for this company; great team - good salary and benefits at the time I worked for them. I don't think the benefits and salary are the same now.
Cons
Great place to work, safety was our number one priority
MANUFACTURING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 September 2017
Typical day would include the previous week setting up the schedule for man power and production for the following week.
I personally managed a group of 30+ employee but there were multiple department each with their own agenda collaborating together.
Team work was very important and dailiy communication was neccesary for shift work to continue running smoothly.
Pros
Alternative shifts
Only there for the paycheque
Skilled Trade (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON7 August 2017
A job, not a career. Very dysfunctional management. Get used to working shift work six days a week, every week. Minimal training. Poor corporate culture.
Pros
Steady paycheque.
Cons
No life outside of work
Fastpaced
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON24 July 2017
Show up to your startup meeting. Go to your specified team put on your music and go to work.
Learned basics of how a vehicle is assembled from the welding department all the way to the end quality product.
Workplace was fast paced with little downtime or room for error.
Hardest part of the job was the pressure of being a new employee and trying to work through the stress and keep up with the target times.
Enjoyed being able to wear headphones with whatever music I preferred.
Pros
Well Paid
Cons
Mandatory Saturdays
Fun people with an alright environment.
Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON19 July 2017
the work was good and easy, the people were amazing but the management is by far the worst ive ever seen. no one was on the same page and all had different agenda's and was just an outright circus. what made the job were the people you work with that also had enough with management. if i were offered an oppertunity to work there again in the same position i would not. they lied to the government about my employment and the ending of my employment and can not be trusted as an employer.
Pros
People
Cons
People
A fast paced, time sensitive workplace.
Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON17 July 2017
A fast paced, time sensitive job in all departments. A wide range of job training and work experience from Warehouse to clerical. I learned to multitask and get along with many people.
Pros
paid well
Cons
long years of work