General Dynamics

General Dynamics Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, Efficient and Enjoyable
Lead Assembler (Former Employee), Ladson, SCJuly 1, 2014
Pros: great culture
Cons: contract consistency
Manage was great with directions
Great Co-Workers
Enjoyable job tasks
Beneficial to Government and Military
Productive fast paced training environment
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MDJune 30, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: not enough hours
General Dynamics is a diverse organization capable of supporting the United States military from coast to coast.
Project Technical Manager
Program Technical Manager (Current Employee), Pittsfield, MAJune 30, 2014
Pros: good communications among personnel and customer
Cons: health care, raises, promotion and acknowledgement
* Ensure Problem Reports are being addressed by IPT groups and responses are posted for CM overview
* Ensure weekly deliverables are in progress to include Action items, Design Reviews
* Update Risk analysis slides for weekly review
* Solicit inputs for weekly Systems Engineering In Test reviews
* Coordinate Peer reviews of pending work items
* Ensure – more... all Customer issues are being addressed among and across Engineering groups
* Keep PM informed of technical decisions
* Review spending / budget and manning - monthly Engineer Technical Report inputs are collected – less
Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 30, 2014
Fast- paced call center environment. Loved assisting consumer with application process and enrollment in the Healthcare Exchange Marketplace. Unfortunately, the company downsized due to low call volume.
Great Place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Marion, ILJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work was handling clerical duties 10 engineers and the Director of Research and Development. I learned alot about spreadsheets and budget settings for spreadsheets.

The management was excellent and they treated the employees with respect and the health and safety of the employees was very important and we had monthly safety meetings – more... to discuss safety and health issues.

My co-workers were wonderful and made each day fun and made coming into work enjoyable everyday.

I think that the hardest part of the job was learning to link charts and graphs with excel spreadsheets.

The most enjoyable .part of the job was the people that I worked with – less
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Chester, VaJune 26, 2014
great benefits, great company, bad leadership and management
If you like your soul, best not work here
Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee), Ladson, SCJune 26, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: everything else
My company was bought out by general dynamics land systems (typical GD business strategy). Our business unit was profitable and while it took considerable downsizing to maintain its profitability, we were still all let go. It gets worse. Our business unit worked extremely hard (worked holidays and overtime) to submit proposals that would win us over – more... $200M in revenue. We were let go AFTER we won the contracts. However, the [leadership?] thought they could make us do the bulk of the work during our final days there. Inevitably people found other jobs, and the people remaining were not incentivized to complete the mountains of work required (would you be if you were getting laid off?). To add to the chaos, [leadership?] decided to change our enterprise processes and IT systems smack in the middle of the projects, further crippling anyone from completing work (yes, we are people and still want to do a good job - for each other at least).

When the consequences of poor management decisions (or no managerial decisions) comes to fruition it is taken out on the workers, who are asked to work holidays and overtime, all the while being told (explicitly and implicitly) that they are worth no more than the business metrics. General Dynamics Land Systems is one of the most awful places to work. From the top down thru middle management it is all ego boosting and posturing and non value added BS. It is an absolutely disturbing culture and I would never wish anyone employment there. The only good part is that every time there was a layoff, there was more room to line the pockets of the people left behind; therefore we are paid pretty well, but that can only last for so long. In the end, I want to work in a healthy environment so I can maintain my own sanity and health. – less
Fun workplace
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee), Groton, CTJune 25, 2014
Everyday was a challenge, work environment with constant changes
A great place to work.
Manufacturing Associate in warehouse (Current Employee), Greensboro,NCJune 25, 2014
Pros: good working environment.
Cons: no other shifts except first shift.
A great place to work with good benifits and a clean environment.
interesting work place
Customer Service (Former Employee), Sandy, UTJune 24, 2014
Pros: cafeteria onsite
Cons: health insurance
Assisted consumers apply for health insurance.
Call center atmosphere
Opportunity to work with different people.
The work is ok, but dirty.
CNC Operator (Former Employee), Westminster, MDJune 23, 2014
Pros: the pay scale is okay.
Cons: the people are very hard to work with.
This place has very poor management and direction with no advancement.
Good experience
Senior Planner (Current Employee), Silverdale, WAJune 23, 2014
Pros: solid company to work for
Cons: none to speak of
A good company to work for as long as they need you. A defense contractor building and maintaining submarines for the US Navy.
greatplace to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 23, 2014
very laid back and easy work. work enviroment was very friendly and professional
Great place
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee), Red Lion, PAJune 23, 2014
Pros: all good
Cons: lay offs
Super and great place to work! Good benefits, best job I ever had! Very good training!
Field Assistance Service
Assistant Team Lead (Current Employee), Gunter AFBJune 22, 2014
A typical day at work:
-login to the computer and phone system
-look over incidents and emails from swing shift and mid shift to see what issues may have come up after my shift ended the day before
-pass out emails to the analysts to be worked throughout the day
-check the box for incidents that have come back from level 2 throughout the day
-take phone – more... calls and work emails throughout the day
-if Team Lead is out, I assume their responsibility to run the team and day to day operations
-stay in touch with management and level 2 with any issues that arise
-brief the supervisor coming in for the next shift – less
Worked closely with others
Service Rep (Current Employee), Coralville, IAJune 21, 2014
Pros: we do have dress down day that allow us to relax our dress attire.
A typical work day is mostly quiet, we work well with each other and help others when needed. They hardest part of the job is explaining to the caller that they do not qualify for assistance at this time. The enjoyable part is knowing you assisted someone to the best of your capability and they are really grateful for the help.
Learning Experience
Mechanic 1 (Former Employee), Ft. Hood, TXJune 20, 2014
Pros: learning a new system
Cons: communication from management, complicated evaluation process
This position was both fun and challenging, it was my first time in a very long time, learning a completely new vehicle, and system. Management was similar to BAE, prior service, so communication suffered. My co workers were helpful in insisting me in my efforts to learn a new system. I enjoyed this job most for the learning experience.
okay i guess
customer service rep (Former Employee), riverview flJune 20, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no job security
Well this place is not a place to work if you want job stability they have a high turn over rate.
Work was fair but management 2 thumbs down
DATA ANALYST (Former Employee), Chantilly, VAJune 20, 2014
The company provided good work experience although the management could have been better. Some of the management needs to be more respectful to their employees and work on their team building skills.
Productive fun work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJune 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: overtime
Very fast pace. excellent training and information updates.

About General Dynamics

Generally dynamic, General Dynamics is a prime military contractor to the Pentagon (the US government accounts for about 70% of – Read more

General Dynamics Photos