General Dynamics Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great pay, horrible company.
Technical Writer (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Decent pay
Cons: Poor management, Employees treated as expendable
The pay at this company is very decent. However, depending on the department, they treat their employees as highly expendable. Lots of office politics and behind the scenes shenanigans.
Good place for starters
Design Engineer - Power Pack (Contract) (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Great opportunity to learn. Good pay, plenty of flexibility (hours). Alot of nice people
Cons: Some barriers to being involved which needs to be overcome. Very low job security.
Worked at GD on a 1 year design engineering contract. I had the opportunity to expose myself to design and development so I liked the fact that the experience catered to my interests. Given the type of employment and me being a recent grad. I was quite happy with the pay and the employees are exceptionally friendly.

Things to know/watch out for:

Understand the dynamics of the workplace especially if you are junior and you want to learn. Releasing parts and systems is the fun part and a very good way to learn. Typically the team lead assigns who is going to design what however, it is a responsibility that everybody vies for. The team leads would typically be inclined to assign such responsibilities to more experienced staff. So make sure you ask and insist on being involved.

You will have to assume responsibility if you are junior and you want to learn. If you don't assume responsibility you will end up pushing paper throughout your presence at the company.

Since its a defence industry. There is no constant demand for design and production. So design ramps up when a contract is won followed by production after which layoff season starts until another contract is won. Senior staff tend to stay back to support R&D efforts where as less experienced personnel are let go of.. Having said that, I would not rate it well for job security.

Overall, nice unique experience, plenty that you can learn from. I am glad I worked there.
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Diagnostic Engineering Assistant (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 7, 2016
An average day in diagnostics at GDLS-C involves searching through source data and reviewing vehicle designs to write troubleshooting documents for their vehicles. You learn a lot about the mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and communication systems that go into each vehicle and get to dig into some really complex technologies. While reading through all of the technical data may not be everyone's cup of tea, using your problem solving skills to identify failure modes and create troubleshooting procedures for these vehicles is definitely my favorite part.
Great Work-Life balance.
Reliability and Maintainability Engineer (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours and opportunity for advancement
Cons: Less fast paced, so not ideal if you thrive in a high pressure, competitive environment.
This company was great to work for. It allowed for personal development as well as opportunity for training to advance in your position. It is a very friendly, hard working environment. The management is approachable, and in general the work force is very team oriented.
OK position. Dont expect this to be a lifetime position
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
Contract military work.

There is little to no career advancement. Work is interesting and the workplace is flexible. Always keep an eye out for more stable opportunities.
fun and friendly place to work
Sr.Technologist (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Flex Time
Cons: contractor to start
Everyone is so helpful when asked upon.
If you are ever confused or not sure what needs to be done, you can ask anybody in the office and they would be glad to help you.
Productive company that strives to meet requirements
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 26, 2015
Everyday we followed a schedule in order to meet the quota. This involved tasks such as soldering and final assembly of military equipment and printed circuit boards. I learned about quality control and time management.
Okay place to work
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Co-workers were great to with
Cons: Management didn't help me keep my job.
Up till this year I enjoyed working for General Dynamics, the people were nice. But work was too boring. Unfortunately the company didn't help me do better to get my keystrokes better.

My co-workers were really nice to work with, but management not so much with some exceptions.
Challenging position
Area Manager Customer Service and Support (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: World Travel
Cons: Duration of some jobs and working conditions at some facilities
As an Area Manager of the Field Service Team I was responsible to:

Analyze the scope of work required to complete engineering changes to the GD produced family of armoured vehicles
co-ordinate parts ordering and shipping to the customer facility.
Team selection to travel to install changes
Arrange Travel for all personnel
Supervise personnel at the job site
Maintain accurate vehicle records
Input information into the vehicle database at the completion of the job
Good place to gain experience!
Environmental, Health and Safety, Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONJune 28, 2015
I was happy to enhance my career working at General Dynamics Land Systems. I worked with some wonderful people. The most enjoyable part of my job was protecting the environment.
Great salary, poor opportunities for advancement, inept middle management.
Engineering (Current Employee), London, ONJune 23, 2015
Pros: Great starting salary
Cons: Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism, Hires on contract
The pros:
Great starting salary

The cons:
Little training or mentorship
Inept middle management
Little opportunity for advancement
Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Hires on contract
This is an exciting International Company.
Manager, Quality Systems (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: annual bonuses
General Dynamics is a manufacturing organization with high Quality and People standards. It rewards employees with some of the best benefits and career opportunities available. I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Your hours of work are flexible. Core hours are expected but accommodations can be made for personal requirements.
The people are very professional with high levels of education.
Military procurement
Technical Writer (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Company had a excellent business culture. Well focused and goal oriented. The culture was so entrenched that changing things was a challenge for management
Excellent Company, takes care of their customers
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONApril 23, 2014
My day started with email and messenger communication. Going through your work, if you have special projects, looking at schedule to see what I was up to that day. 1/2 hour lunch. Afternoon meetings, team meeting once a week. Once a month company overview

I learned many programs. I was doing a lot inventory control which I am very versed in but I learned about goverment warehouses. I learned 3 new systems
My co-workers with great team players and I made many life long friends.

The most enjoyable part was all my work with data. I enjoy analyzing data. I was able to work with management.
Worst place I ever worked
Supply chain (Former Employee), London, ONApril 18, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: horrible working conditions, management uses threats and intimidation.
Working for GD was a horrible experience between nepotism gone wild and poor manager who believe to be a leader you have to threaten and "ride" the employee. Going to Human resources to complain your human rights have been violated or the working conditions are unsafe is a one way ticket out the door. This is a company that says all the right things, but cannot back them up. I have heard of people being physically attacked by other co-workers with no consequences to the other worker. The battle damaged vehicles coming back from the front line are not "clean" but HR will tell you they are and that you are a liar. I have seen things that GD did not prepare me to see. Forced to work over-time upto 7 days a week for over a year. No regard for burning out employees, plenty more waiting in line to join GD is the theory they subscribe too.
great place to work
Train new employees, lead hand, repair welds (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 30, 2014
i would do something different almost everyday..the day seemed to go by quickly most days.. i learned alot about lavs..and how they work in the battle field..what they can do and how they protect the army personnel...my co-workers were great easy to get along with..the hardest part of job was repairing someones eleses work..the most enjoyable was the paycheck..
A process-driven workplace full of system engineers
Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 28, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: low morale
This used to be a descent workplace. Recent cutbacks have lowered the morale of the entire company.
Great Flexibility
Mechanical Engineering Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaOctober 23, 2013
Pros: in house cafeteria
Cons: contract based work which can be inconsistent and dependant
GD Canada is a great place to work for junior to senior employees.They are very flexible when it comes to work/life balance.
Company where people are friendly and work together to achieve the challenging work goals
Senior Component Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2013
Pros: the people work and interact great together.
Cons: work greatly influenced by outside contracts - or the lack of it
The company sets the goals high and through the combined effort of employees usually achieves them. It is a good place to work for.

In-house fitness programs and the gym right on-site. It is a good way to workout the stress.
Good Company - Many good people
Field Service Rep (Former Employee), Kingston, OntarioOctober 2, 2013
Very good company. I worked on a project that was managed in Calgary but located in Ontario. With Government budget cuts my position was cancelled. Excellent benefits, good salary and outstanding support from Staff managing travel, benefits, pay etc. Would love to work for GD again some day. Alot of special people.