GD Canada currently has a requirement for a Human Factors Engineering Specialist (HFE) or User Experience Designer within our Human Factors Engineering team. The Human Factors Engineering (HFE) Team at General Dynamics Canada is responsible for ensuring products and systems are designed with the end user in mind and human factors contract requirements are fulfilled. Within GD Canada the HFE team is located within Specialty Engineering which is part of System Engineering.
The applicant will be a member of the HFE team and will provide support to current human factors needs for various GD Canada programs in Calgary and Ottawa. GD Canada programs cover a wide range of products and functionality with applications in both defence & commercial (with the majority being military) industries. Examples of GD Canada programs/products include; remote controlled land mine detection vehicles, communication networks (hardware and software), air traffic control workstations and software, biochemical detection systems, aircraft cockpit design, aircraft operational mission designs, graphical user interfaces/software, and vehicle equipment layouts.
The applicant would be responsible for the HFE tasks and user experience within these programs. This would include human factors assessments, design and qualification activities at both a system and equipment level including the graphical user interface. This position will work to identify user needs and tasks and translate into user requirements and to then design, document and test user interface designs to ensure they meet performance and end user goals/needs. This requires the HFE representative to communicate with and report to several people on a daily basis while managing multiple tasks that could differ greatly and meeting deadlines.
This requires the applicant to communicate and multi-task with these programs on a daily basis. Strong communication skills are essential for the applicant to interface with subcontractors, the customer, and other GD Canada engineering groups and therefore require strong communication skills and a strong Human Factors background. The applicant needs to be a highly motivated team player and should have a minimum 3years of human factors work experience in a range of projects. The applicant’s skills/knowledge should include, human factors, employing human factors into products or systems, physical design and some experience with user interface design, and software applications.
** Travel may be required.
- Prepare HFE design documents, reports and other documentation that meet the requirements of the project.
- Review equipment and system specifications for HFE requirements content.
- Review drawings of equipment and provide feedback/direction to the hardware or design team.
- Apply HFE standards and contractual requirements to the equipment and system design process.
- Create human engineering designs to meet problem space definition.
- Present HFE design and evaluations at both internal and external technical presentations.
- Liaison with internal design teams and possibly the external customer.
- Review qualification test procedures for HFE requirements.
- Conduct qualification test procedures for HFE requirements and produce a report detailing the results
- Participate in the development of internal company HFE processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding of physical and cognitive ergonomics
- Review product and system specifications for HFE content, define requirements and storyboard.
- Demonstrated capability in designing as part of a product design team
- Ability to create prototypes of various fidelities.
- The ability to employ new techniques in HCI/OMI/HMI research, design and evaluations.
- Survey and interview techniques for soliciting and prioritizing user needs.
- Translation of user needs analysis or other engineering analysis to design requirements.
- Methods to identify and evaluate technical/project human engineering alternatives that meet system requirements.
- Methods to assess, monitor, and mitigate HFE risks for both the program and the end user so that end user performance needs are met
- Able to generate plans and monitor progress
- Team player
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
- Good verbal and written communication
Nice to have:
- Experience using JACK modeling tool
- Hardware, human systems or workplace ergonomics.
- DOORS, Photoshop (or equivalent graphics tool), Flash, Visio, Visual Basic, or Axure (or equivalent prototyping tool) computer skills.
- Familiarity with the content and application of military and industrial design and human engineering program execution (e.g. MIL-STD-1472, MIL-HDBK-46855).
- Workload and situational awareness analysis and evaluation.
- Methods and levels of system verification throughout the life cycle.
- Human performance simulation and modeling using tools such as IPME.
- Ability to coordinate schedules, processes, and deliveries of work products with customers and suppliers.
- Knowledge of Human Systems Integration and/or Systems Engineering
- Experience in physical hardware design as well as human computer interaction design.
- At least 3 years of human factors engineering or cognitive systems/ergonomics design experience, preferably in complex systems.
- Hands-on experience as a human factors specialist preferably on major defense programs, consumer products or other complex systems such as nuclear industry is highly desirable.
- Experience in hardware, systems or workplace ergonomics would be a strong advantage.
- Strong Human Factors/GUI knowledge
- Requirements analysis/ allocation
- Functional task analysis
- Perform testing of designs
- Effective written and oral communication skills using the English language; and
- Demonstrated abilities to effectively work within a team and lead the human engineering design within a design team and produce team results.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Human Factors Engineering, Kinesiology, Computer Science, Systems Design, Ergonomics, Psychology or related discipline with course work in human factors engineering/ergonomics/human computer interaction.
The successful candidate must be eligible for Canadian SECRET clearance. This typically requires 10 years residency in Canada.
Please only apply through the company career website www.gdcanada.com
Indeed - 22 months ago
Generally dynamic, General Dynamics is a prime military contractor to the Pentagon (the US government accounts for about 70% of sales). The...