General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews

Challenging position
Area Manager Customer Service and Support (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 July 2015
As an Area Manager of the Field Service Team I was responsible to:

Analyze the scope of work required to complete engineering changes to the GD produced family of armoured vehicles
co-ordinate parts ordering and shipping to the customer facility.
Team selection to travel to install changes
Arrange Travel for all personnel
Supervise personnel at the job site
Maintain accurate vehicle records
Input information into the vehicle database at the completion of the job
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Duration of some jobs and working conditions at some facilities
Good place to gain experience!
Environmental, Health and Safety, Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 June 2015
I was happy to enhance my career working at General Dynamics Land Systems. I worked with some wonderful people. The most enjoyable part of my job was protecting the environment.
Great salary, poor opportunities for advancement, inept middle management.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2015
The pros:
Great starting salary

The cons:
Little training or mentorship
Inept middle management
Little opportunity for advancement
Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Hires on contract
Pros
Great starting salary
Cons
Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism, Hires on contract
This is an exciting International Company.
Manager, Quality Systems (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 February 2015
General Dynamics is a manufacturing organization with high Quality and People standards. It rewards employees with some of the best benefits and career opportunities available. I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Your hours of work are flexible. Core hours are expected but accommodations can be made for personal requirements.
The people are very professional with high levels of education.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Military procurement
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 September 2014
Company had a excellent business culture. Well focused and goal oriented. The culture was so entrenched that changing things was a challenge for management
Challenging and fast paced
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton24 June 2014
The supervisor was not allowing for growth. Many levels of service that need special knowledge and was not given the needed time to learn.
Pros
Learning faster ways to manage data entry
Cons
Management/trainer infighting
Excellent Company, takes care of their customers
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 April 2014
My day started with email and messenger communication. Going through your work, if you have special projects, looking at schedule to see what I was up to that day. 1/2 hour lunch. Afternoon meetings, team meeting once a week. Once a month company overview

I learned many programs. I was doing a lot inventory control which I am very versed in but I learned about goverment warehouses. I learned 3 new systems
My co-workers with great team players and I made many life long friends.

The most enjoyable part was all my work with data. I enjoy analyzing data. I was able to work with management.
Worst place I ever worked
Supply chain (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 April 2014
Working for GD was a horrible experience between nepotism gone wild and poor manager who believe to be a leader you have to threaten and "ride" the employee. Going to Human resources to complain your human rights have been violated or the working conditions are unsafe is a one way ticket out the door. This is a company that says all the right things, but cannot back them up. I have heard of people being physically attacked by other co-workers with no consequences to the other worker. The battle damaged vehicles coming back from the front line are not "clean" but HR will tell you they are and that you are a liar. I have seen things that GD did not prepare me to see. Forced to work over-time upto 7 days a week for over a year. No regard for burning out employees, plenty more waiting in line to join GD is the theory they subscribe too.
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible working conditions, management uses threats and intimidation.
great place to work
Train new employees, lead hand, repair welds (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 January 2014
i would do something different almost everyday..the day seemed to go by quickly most days.. i learned alot about lavs..and how they work in the battle field..what they can do and how they protect the army personnel...my co-workers were great easy to get along with..the hardest part of job was repairing someones eleses work..the most enjoyable was the paycheck..
A process-driven workplace full of system engineers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2013
This used to be a descent workplace. Recent cutbacks have lowered the morale of the entire company.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Low Morale
Great Flexibility
Mechanical Engineering Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta23 October 2013
GD Canada is a great place to work for junior to senior employees.They are very flexible when it comes to work/life balance.
Pros
In house cafeteria
Cons
Contract based work which can be inconsistent and dependant
When it rains it pours
Systems (Current Employee) –  Ontario16 October 2013
A typical day involves most coworkers unhappily trudging through their workload as the hours are long. After 12 hour days, refusal to do more that day can result in being viewed by higher ups as "not a team player". The most enjoyable part of the job is the overtime pay, when it is given. Coworkers are great and are helpful digging through the trenches with you, often supplying cards and treats when someone works themselves to sickness, but thanks from management is hollow. Constant talk of layoffs gives the coworkers nervous chuckles.
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
Long hours, low morale
Company where people are friendly and work together to achieve the challenging work goals
Senior Component Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2013
The company sets the goals high and through the combined effort of employees usually achieves them. It is a good place to work for.

In-house fitness programs and the gym right on-site. It is a good way to workout the stress.
Pros
The people work and interact great together.
Cons
Work greatly influenced by outside contracts - or the lack of it
Good Company - Many good people
Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, Ontario2 October 2013
Very good company. I worked on a project that was managed in Calgary but located in Ontario. With Government budget cuts my position was cancelled. Excellent benefits, good salary and outstanding support from Staff managing travel, benefits, pay etc. Would love to work for GD again some day. Alot of special people.
Vangent Canada is fun and exciting
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 August 2013
The hardest part is Vangent Canada is no longer in the business anymore.
Pros
We have everymonth birthday celebration
Cons
Short hours
fun, small enviorment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2013
It was like a small office with about 20 staff so we were like a little family, and most of the employees got along very well
Friendly place to work
Data Entry Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario5 March 2013
Typical day at work:
Going to see your friends. We work in a profesional way and we do respect one another.

Learned how to be patient,how to appreciate having a job.

Management: I don't deal with the management, but from an employee point of view, i would give them a 6 out of 10.

co-workers: great personalities

Hardest part of the job: sometimes we get so much work we have to concentrate all day.

the most enjoyable part of the job: is one when laugh, when we tell jokes to eath other, or when i bring tea bags and share it with everyone!
32 Years with GD so very enjoyable place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2013
I love working here and have been in Finance for the past 32 years. I would just like to find some part time work in a different setting such as retail in a store like Bouclair.
Pros
benefits, pension plan, well known company
Fast paced defence organization
Data Transfer and Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 January 2013
working with engineers, government bodies and sub-contractors
Hear productivity is very excellent,
Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kuwait13 January 2013
We are working here 6 days a week every day 8 to 10 hours , We learned about safety about how to growing behavior , about perfect management. I am working with my co-workers together .......

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Information Technology. Our community is ready to answer.