General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews

High paced manufacturing and gret working environment
Supervisor - Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
Atypical day at work involves start of shift meeting with production floor, production meeting, meetings with other sites, administrative functions, health and safety functions, email correspondence with internal and external customers.
Pros
9/80 Work Week
Cons
Long hours with overtime on weekends
The worst
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 September 2016
If you want to be treated like a slave working 60 hour mandatory weeks then this company is for you.
There is so many reasons to not work here the only reason I took the job as there was very little at he time available in my geographical area and I needed some money
Great pay, horrible company.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 March 2016
The pay at this company is very decent. However, depending on the department, they treat their employees as highly expendable. Lots of office politics and behind the scenes shenanigans.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, Employees treated as expendable
Good place for starters
Design Engineer - Power Pack (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 February 2016
Worked at GD on a 1 year design engineering contract. I had the opportunity to expose myself to design and development so I liked the fact that the experience catered to my interests. Given the type of employment and me being a recent grad. I was quite happy with the pay and the employees are exceptionally friendly.

Things to know/watch out for:

Understand the dynamics of the workplace especially if you are junior and you want to learn. Releasing parts and systems is the fun part and a very good way to learn. Typically the team lead assigns who is going to design what however, it is a responsibility that everybody vies for. The team leads would typically be inclined to assign such responsibilities to more experienced staff. So make sure you ask and insist on being involved.

You will have to assume responsibility if you are junior and you want to learn. If you don't assume responsibility you will end up pushing paper throughout your presence at the company.

Since its a defence industry. There is no constant demand for design and production. So design ramps up when a contract is won followed by production after which layoff season starts until another contract is won. Senior staff tend to stay back to support R&D efforts where as less experienced personnel are let go of.. Having said that, I would not rate it well for job security.

Overall, nice unique experience, plenty that you can learn from. I am glad I worked there.
Pros
Great opportunity to learn. Good pay, plenty of flexibility (hours). Alot of nice people
Cons
Some barriers to being involved which needs to be overcome. Very low job security.
Repetitive workaholic environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2016
There was little to no change in the workflow that made the keying of the same information quite dull. There was no room for creativity or innovation to help improve the workflow.
Cons
Dull
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Diagnostic Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2016
An average day in diagnostics at GDLS-C involves searching through source data and reviewing vehicle designs to write troubleshooting documents for their vehicles. You learn a lot about the mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and communication systems that go into each vehicle and get to dig into some really complex technologies. While reading through all of the technical data may not be everyone's cup of tea, using your problem solving skills to identify failure modes and create troubleshooting procedures for these vehicles is definitely my favorite part.
Great Work-Life balance.
Reliability and Maintainability Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 December 2015
This company was great to work for. It allowed for personal development as well as opportunity for training to advance in your position. It is a very friendly, hard working environment. The management is approachable, and in general the work force is very team oriented.
Pros
Flexible hours and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Less fast paced, so not ideal if you thrive in a high pressure, competitive environment.
OK position. Dont expect this to be a lifetime position
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2015
Contract military work.

There is little to no career advancement. Work is interesting and the workplace is flexible. Always keep an eye out for more stable opportunities.
fun and friendly place to work
Sr.Technologist (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 October 2015
Everyone is so helpful when asked upon.
If you are ever confused or not sure what needs to be done, you can ask anybody in the office and they would be glad to help you.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
contractor to start
Productive company that strives to meet requirements
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 August 2015
Everyday we followed a schedule in order to meet the quota. This involved tasks such as soldering and final assembly of military equipment and printed circuit boards. I learned about quality control and time management.
Conservative defense contractor and systems integration company
Vice Pres. & General Manager, Canadian Operations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2015
By the nature of its business and reputation, the company has a highly conservative and risk averse culture. It tends to hire highly talented individuals for both technical and management functions.
Okay place to work
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2015
Up till this year I enjoyed working for General Dynamics, the people were nice. But work was too boring. Unfortunately the company didn't help me do better to get my keystrokes better.

My co-workers were really nice to work with, but management not so much with some exceptions.
Pros
Co-workers were great to with
Cons
Management didn't help me keep my job.
Challenging position
Area Manager Customer Service and Support (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 July 2015
As an Area Manager of the Field Service Team I was responsible to:

Analyze the scope of work required to complete engineering changes to the GD produced family of armoured vehicles
co-ordinate parts ordering and shipping to the customer facility.
Team selection to travel to install changes
Arrange Travel for all personnel
Supervise personnel at the job site
Maintain accurate vehicle records
Input information into the vehicle database at the completion of the job
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Duration of some jobs and working conditions at some facilities
Good place to gain experience!
Environmental, Health and Safety, Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 June 2015
I was happy to enhance my career working at General Dynamics Land Systems. I worked with some wonderful people. The most enjoyable part of my job was protecting the environment.
Great salary, poor opportunities for advancement, inept middle management.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2015
The pros:
Great starting salary

The cons:
Little training or mentorship
Inept middle management
Little opportunity for advancement
Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Hires on contract
Pros
Great starting salary
Cons
Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism, Hires on contract
This is an exciting International Company.
Manager, Quality Systems (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 February 2015
General Dynamics is a manufacturing organization with high Quality and People standards. It rewards employees with some of the best benefits and career opportunities available. I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Your hours of work are flexible. Core hours are expected but accommodations can be made for personal requirements.
The people are very professional with high levels of education.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Military procurement
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 September 2014
Company had a excellent business culture. Well focused and goal oriented. The culture was so entrenched that changing things was a challenge for management
Challenging and fast paced
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton24 June 2014
The supervisor was not allowing for growth. Many levels of service that need special knowledge and was not given the needed time to learn.
Pros
Learning faster ways to manage data entry
Cons
Management/trainer infighting
Excellent Company, takes care of their customers
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 April 2014
My day started with email and messenger communication. Going through your work, if you have special projects, looking at schedule to see what I was up to that day. 1/2 hour lunch. Afternoon meetings, team meeting once a week. Once a month company overview

I learned many programs. I was doing a lot inventory control which I am very versed in but I learned about goverment warehouses. I learned 3 new systems
My co-workers with great team players and I made many life long friends.

The most enjoyable part was all my work with data. I enjoy analyzing data. I was able to work with management.
Worst place I ever worked
Supply chain (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 April 2014
Working for GD was a horrible experience between nepotism gone wild and poor manager who believe to be a leader you have to threaten and "ride" the employee. Going to Human resources to complain your human rights have been violated or the working conditions are unsafe is a one way ticket out the door. This is a company that says all the right things, but cannot back them up. I have heard of people being physically attacked by other co-workers with no consequences to the other worker. The battle damaged vehicles coming back from the front line are not "clean" but HR will tell you they are and that you are a liar. I have seen things that GD did not prepare me to see. Forced to work over-time upto 7 days a week for over a year. No regard for burning out employees, plenty more waiting in line to join GD is the theory they subscribe too.
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible working conditions, management uses threats and intimidation.