General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Work-Life balance.
Reliability and Maintainability Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 3, 2015
This company was great to work for. It allowed for personal development as well as opportunity for training to advance in your position. It is a very friendly, hard working environment. The management is approachable, and in general the work force is very team oriented.
Pros
Flexible hours and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Less fast paced, so not ideal if you thrive in a high pressure, competitive environment.
Great salary, poor opportunities for advancement, inept middle management.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 23, 2015
The pros:
Great starting salary

The cons:
Little training or mentorship
Inept middle management
Little opportunity for advancement
Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Hires on contract
Pros
Great starting salary
Cons
Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism, Hires on contract
Great pay, horrible company.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 10, 2016
The pay at this company is very decent. However, depending on the department, they treat their employees as highly expendable. Lots of office politics and behind the scenes shenanigans.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, Employees treated as expendable
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Diagnostic Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 7, 2016
An average day in diagnostics at GDLS-C involves searching through source data and reviewing vehicle designs to write troubleshooting documents for their vehicles. You learn a lot about the mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and communication systems that go into each vehicle and get to dig into some really complex technologies. While reading through all of the technical data may not be everyone's cup of tea, using your problem solving skills to identify failure modes and create troubleshooting procedures for these vehicles is definitely my favorite part.
This is an exciting International Company.
Manager, Quality Systems (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 25, 2015
General Dynamics is a manufacturing organization with high Quality and People standards. It rewards employees with some of the best benefits and career opportunities available. I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Your hours of work are flexible. Core hours are expected but accommodations can be made for personal requirements.
The people are very professional with high levels of education.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Cons
GDC is an excellent company. Employee support is outstanding
Senior Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2012
As a long term employee of General Dynamics, I feel I am in a position to give them a very positive and honest review. Through strong leadership, GDC has overcome many obstacles over the years to enable itself to thrive in the marketplace. Being recognized as a grandfather in hi-tech, it has built its reputation on quality products and delivery excellence.
They have an outstanding employee support program that includes not only the financial benefits of their employees but the mental and physical attributes of their employees.
GDC has honorably earned 5 stars
Pros
excellent employee support, outreach programs, good benefits and pension, supports employee welfare
Cons
very long hours
Good place for starters
Design Engineer - Power Pack (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Worked at GD on a 1 year design engineering contract. I had the opportunity to expose myself to design and development so I liked the fact that the experience catered to my interests. Given the type of employment and me being a recent grad. I was quite happy with the pay and the employees are exceptionally friendly.

Things to know/watch out for:

Understand the dynamics of the workplace especially if you are junior and you want to learn. Releasing parts and systems is the fun part and a very good way to learn. Typically the team lead assigns who is going to design what however, it is a responsibility that everybody vies for. The team leads would typically be inclined to assign such responsibilities to more experienced staff. So make sure you ask and insist on being involved.

You will have to assume responsibility if you are junior and you want to learn. If you don't assume responsibility you will end up pushing paper throughout your presence at the company.

Since its a defence industry. There is no constant demand for design and production. So design ramps up when a contract is won followed by production after which layoff season starts until another contract is won. Senior staff tend to stay back to support R&D efforts where as less experienced personnel are let go of.. Having said that, I would not rate it well for job security.

Overall, nice unique experience, plenty that you can learn from. I am glad I worked there.
Pros
Great opportunity to learn. Good pay, plenty of flexibility (hours). Alot of nice people
Cons
Some barriers to being involved which needs to be overcome. Very low job security.
OK position. Dont expect this to be a lifetime position
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
Contract military work.

There is little to no career advancement. Work is interesting and the workplace is flexible. Always keep an eye out for more stable opportunities.
Repetitive workaholic environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2016
There was little to no change in the workflow that made the keying of the same information quite dull. There was no room for creativity or innovation to help improve the workflow.
Cons
Dull
Conservative defense contractor and systems integration company
Vice Pres. & General Manager, Canadian Operations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2015
By the nature of its business and reputation, the company has a highly conservative and risk averse culture. It tends to hire highly talented individuals for both technical and management functions.
Above average work environment, delays in winning/awarding new contracts creates some job security uncertainty
ILS (Former Employee) –  OttawaNovember 9, 2012
Excellent compensation and benefits
work hard play hard attitude
at core is Engineering company
need to win to big contracts to keep system integration critical mass rolling
Pros
compensation
Okay place to work
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 6, 2015
Up till this year I enjoyed working for General Dynamics, the people were nice. But work was too boring. Unfortunately the company didn't help me do better to get my keystrokes better.

My co-workers were really nice to work with, but management not so much with some exceptions.
Pros
Co-workers were great to with
Cons
Management didn't help me keep my job.
fun and friendly place to work
Sr.Technologist (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 21, 2015
Everyone is so helpful when asked upon.
If you are ever confused or not sure what needs to be done, you can ask anybody in the office and they would be glad to help you.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
contractor to start
Good Company - Many good people
Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, OntarioOctober 2, 2013
Very good company. I worked on a project that was managed in Calgary but located in Ontario. With Government budget cuts my position was cancelled. Excellent benefits, good salary and outstanding support from Staff managing travel, benefits, pay etc. Would love to work for GD again some day. Alot of special people.
Productive company that strives to meet requirements
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 26, 2015
Everyday we followed a schedule in order to meet the quota. This involved tasks such as soldering and final assembly of military equipment and printed circuit boards. I learned about quality control and time management.
Challenging position
Area Manager Customer Service and Support (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 8, 2015
As an Area Manager of the Field Service Team I was responsible to:

Analyze the scope of work required to complete engineering changes to the GD produced family of armoured vehicles
co-ordinate parts ordering and shipping to the customer facility.
Team selection to travel to install changes
Arrange Travel for all personnel
Supervise personnel at the job site
Maintain accurate vehicle records
Input information into the vehicle database at the completion of the job
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Duration of some jobs and working conditions at some facilities
32 Years with GD so very enjoyable place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 23, 2013
I love working here and have been in Finance for the past 32 years. I would just like to find some part time work in a different setting such as retail in a store like Bouclair.
Pros
benefits, pension plan, well known company
good place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 18, 2012
This place was a good place to work, the employees and manager where very friendly and pleasant to work for
Cons
contract work no benefits
When it rains it pours
Systems (Current Employee) –  OntarioOctober 16, 2013
A typical day involves most coworkers unhappily trudging through their workload as the hours are long. After 12 hour days, refusal to do more that day can result in being viewed by higher ups as "not a team player". The most enjoyable part of the job is the overtime pay, when it is given. Coworkers are great and are helpful digging through the trenches with you, often supplying cards and treats when someone works themselves to sickness, but thanks from management is hollow. Constant talk of layoffs gives the coworkers nervous chuckles.
Pros
overtime pay
Cons
Long hours, low morale
Good place to gain experience!
Environmental, Health and Safety, Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 28, 2015
I was happy to enhance my career working at General Dynamics Land Systems. I worked with some wonderful people. The most enjoyable part of my job was protecting the environment.

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews by Location