General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Had a cafeteria
Welder/Fitter/Robotic Weld Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 September 2017
It was a great place to work and learn as we tried to continuously improve the product and production flow.

With team work & vision any thing is possible.

The management was customer focused and work force safety was a priory. They worked hard to make the work place productive & profitable to insure it's continued viability by using all the talent in the work force they had.

The culture was for the most quality focused fun and safety conscious with most willing to improve all aspects of the work environment.

The constant threat of plant closure

The team environment that worked so hard to maintain the viability of the plant & continuously improve product quality & productivity.
Pros
Great opportunities to advance in a team environment
Cons
Constant threat of plant closure
Demanding but very rewarding place to work
Test Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 September 2017
The test team was extremely hard working dedicating long working hours to many projects. The demands of the job are extreme and make work and life balance a challenge. The rewards of the job are very good with excellent compensation, a co-operative work team and and an extremely enjoyable product to participate in working on.
Pride of Workmanship
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2017
The average work day was mostly very good with a great concern for turning out the best product we could. Great pay and decent benefits. Weekends off and paid overtime if required.

Learned about many different automotive and heavy vehicle systems you would not otherwise see in one place.

The hardest part of the job was all the office and company politics that spoiled what was otherwise a great job. No room for long term career paths at this location either. I still can't fully understand the reasons why the facility was shut down.
Fun work environment
Auxiliary Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2017
Great place to work, had the opportunity to do alot of interesting things and work on a number of different projects. Built great networking connections and supplier base.
Overall decent company
Production Planning (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 April 2017
Family oriented but growth is difficult if not management material. Way too generous, very misleading towards true personal growth. Makes it difficult for advancement.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Director, Education Services (Former Employee) –  Ottawa and Virginia20 March 2017
I worked at this organization for two years, and really enjoyed meeting with experienced consultants and senior team members on a variety of topics. I was able to travel and broaden my technical knowledge on Education technology systems and processes.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Some long days, but challenging!
great place with great people
Data Entry (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
truthfully i have no idea why this is necessary for this website.... but it was a great place to work, i was only there for a week or so but it was good work
Très bel environnement de travail, belles conditions et sécurité d'emploi
Opératrice de production (Former Employee) –  Le Gardeur, QC28 January 2017
J'ai travaillé dans plusieurs secteurs et j'y ai acquis beaucoup d'expérience.

Bonnes relations entre l'employé et l'employeur.

Très bien rémunéré.

Sécurité d'emploi

De très bon avantages sociaux.

Bons plan d'assurances maladie et dentaire.

Bel horaire de travail.
General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada
Material Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2017
Yes.. I was challenged thoughout the 9.5 years. It was a production environment; very structured but rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other to achieve weekly & monthly planning goals. We always overcame the difficulties and pushed thru to meet or surpass those target goals. I learned that to be part of a structured workplace that prides itself on Safety plus continued hard work can pay off. Performance Bonuses are good incentives as well.
Pros
Monthly & Years Bonuses
Cons
Salary - Extra unpaid hours that were put in to reach our daily goals
Very Professional Managment easy to get along with
s1 Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kandahār6 January 2017
Work 12 hour days, though doesn't feel like it
I learned a lot about Stryker Vehicles
Management very approachable good open door policy
Co Workers I worked with were skilled professionals
Having to say good bye
Being apart of a very good team of individuals
Pros
Not hurried and very good pay
Cons
Being away from home for protracted periods of time
High paced manufacturing and gret working environment
Supervisor - Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
Atypical day at work involves start of shift meeting with production floor, production meeting, meetings with other sites, administrative functions, health and safety functions, email correspondence with internal and external customers.
Pros
9/80 Work Week
Cons
Long hours with overtime on weekends
The worst
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 September 2016
If you want to be treated like a slave working 60 hour mandatory weeks then this company is for you.
There is so many reasons to not work here the only reason I took the job as there was very little at he time available in my geographical area and I needed some money
Great pay, horrible company.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 March 2016
The pay at this company is very decent. However, depending on the department, they treat their employees as highly expendable. Lots of office politics and behind the scenes shenanigans.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, Employees treated as expendable
Good place for starters
Design Engineer - Power Pack (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 February 2016
Worked at GD on a 1 year design engineering contract. I had the opportunity to expose myself to design and development so I liked the fact that the experience catered to my interests. Given the type of employment and me being a recent grad. I was quite happy with the pay and the employees are exceptionally friendly.

Things to know/watch out for:

Understand the dynamics of the workplace especially if you are junior and you want to learn. Releasing parts and systems is the fun part and a very good way to learn. Typically the team lead assigns who is going to design what however, it is a responsibility that everybody vies for. The team leads would typically be inclined to assign such responsibilities to more experienced staff. So make sure you ask and insist on being involved.

You will have to assume responsibility if you are junior and you want to learn. If you don't assume responsibility you will end up pushing paper throughout your presence at the company.

Since its a defence industry. There is no constant demand for design and production. So design ramps up when a contract is won followed by production after which layoff season starts until another contract is won. Senior staff tend to stay back to support R&D efforts where as less experienced personnel are let go of.. Having said that, I would not rate it well for job security.

Overall, nice unique experience, plenty that you can learn from. I am glad I worked there.
Pros
Great opportunity to learn. Good pay, plenty of flexibility (hours). Alot of nice people
Cons
Some barriers to being involved which needs to be overcome. Very low job security.
Aucun respect envers ses employés avec plus d"expérience
Opérateur-ajusteur (Former Employee) –  Saint-Augustin, QC13 January 2016
ne respecte pas l'ancienneté, environnement toxique,abus de pouvoir
Repetitive workaholic environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2016
There was little to no change in the workflow that made the keying of the same information quite dull. There was no room for creativity or innovation to help improve the workflow.
Cons
Dull
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Diagnostic Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2016
An average day in diagnostics at GDLS-C involves searching through source data and reviewing vehicle designs to write troubleshooting documents for their vehicles. You learn a lot about the mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and communication systems that go into each vehicle and get to dig into some really complex technologies. While reading through all of the technical data may not be everyone's cup of tea, using your problem solving skills to identify failure modes and create troubleshooting procedures for these vehicles is definitely my favorite part.
bonne collaboration de la direction
concepteur mécanique (Former Employee) –  Le Gardeur, QC6 January 2016
conception sur solidwork
la cynematique des produits de production
-management par le bas
-collaboration difficile
-faire accepter mes idées
-la fierté des machines concues
Pros
familliale
Cons
sindicat
Great Work-Life balance.
Reliability and Maintainability Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 December 2015
This company was great to work for. It allowed for personal development as well as opportunity for training to advance in your position. It is a very friendly, hard working environment. The management is approachable, and in general the work force is very team oriented.
Pros
Flexible hours and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Less fast paced, so not ideal if you thrive in a high pressure, competitive environment.
OK position. Dont expect this to be a lifetime position
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2015
Contract military work.

There is little to no career advancement. Work is interesting and the workplace is flexible. Always keep an eye out for more stable opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Information Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews by Location