General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews

High paced manufacturing and gret working environment
Supervisor - Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2016
Atypical day at work involves start of shift meeting with production floor, production meeting, meetings with other sites, administrative functions, health and safety functions, email correspondence with internal and external customers.
Pros
9/80 Work Week
Cons
Long hours with overtime on weekends
The worst
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 8, 2016
If you want to be treated like a slave working 60 hour mandatory weeks then this company is for you.
There is so many reasons to not work here the only reason I took the job as there was very little at he time available in my geographical area and I needed some money
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Diagnostic Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 7, 2016
An average day in diagnostics at GDLS-C involves searching through source data and reviewing vehicle designs to write troubleshooting documents for their vehicles. You learn a lot about the mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and communication systems that go into each vehicle and get to dig into some really complex technologies. While reading through all of the technical data may not be everyone's cup of tea, using your problem solving skills to identify failure modes and create troubleshooting procedures for these vehicles is definitely my favorite part.
Great pay, horrible company.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 10, 2016
The pay at this company is very decent. However, depending on the department, they treat their employees as highly expendable. Lots of office politics and behind the scenes shenanigans.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, Employees treated as expendable
Great Work-Life balance.
Reliability and Maintainability Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 3, 2015
This company was great to work for. It allowed for personal development as well as opportunity for training to advance in your position. It is a very friendly, hard working environment. The management is approachable, and in general the work force is very team oriented.
Pros
Flexible hours and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Less fast paced, so not ideal if you thrive in a high pressure, competitive environment.
Repetitive workaholic environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2016
There was little to no change in the workflow that made the keying of the same information quite dull. There was no room for creativity or innovation to help improve the workflow.
Cons
Dull
OK position. Dont expect this to be a lifetime position
SENIOR ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
Contract military work.

There is little to no career advancement. Work is interesting and the workplace is flexible. Always keep an eye out for more stable opportunities.
Okay place to work
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 6, 2015
Up till this year I enjoyed working for General Dynamics, the people were nice. But work was too boring. Unfortunately the company didn't help me do better to get my keystrokes better.

My co-workers were really nice to work with, but management not so much with some exceptions.
Pros
Co-workers were great to with
Cons
Management didn't help me keep my job.
Challenging position
Area Manager Customer Service and Support (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 8, 2015
As an Area Manager of the Field Service Team I was responsible to:

Analyze the scope of work required to complete engineering changes to the GD produced family of armoured vehicles
co-ordinate parts ordering and shipping to the customer facility.
Team selection to travel to install changes
Arrange Travel for all personnel
Supervise personnel at the job site
Maintain accurate vehicle records
Input information into the vehicle database at the completion of the job
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Duration of some jobs and working conditions at some facilities
fun and friendly place to work
Sr.Technologist (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 21, 2015
Everyone is so helpful when asked upon.
If you are ever confused or not sure what needs to be done, you can ask anybody in the office and they would be glad to help you.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
contractor to start
Conservative defense contractor and systems integration company
Vice Pres. & General Manager, Canadian Operations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2015
By the nature of its business and reputation, the company has a highly conservative and risk averse culture. It tends to hire highly talented individuals for both technical and management functions.
Great salary, poor opportunities for advancement, inept middle management.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 23, 2015
The pros:
Great starting salary

The cons:
Little training or mentorship
Inept middle management
Little opportunity for advancement
Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Hires on contract
Pros
Great starting salary
Cons
Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism, Hires on contract
Productive company that strives to meet requirements
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 26, 2015
Everyday we followed a schedule in order to meet the quota. This involved tasks such as soldering and final assembly of military equipment and printed circuit boards. I learned about quality control and time management.
This is an exciting International Company.
Manager, Quality Systems (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 25, 2015
General Dynamics is a manufacturing organization with high Quality and People standards. It rewards employees with some of the best benefits and career opportunities available. I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Your hours of work are flexible. Core hours are expected but accommodations can be made for personal requirements.
The people are very professional with high levels of education.
Pros
Annual bonuses
Cons
Good place to gain experience!
Environmental, Health and Safety, Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 28, 2015
I was happy to enhance my career working at General Dynamics Land Systems. I worked with some wonderful people. The most enjoyable part of my job was protecting the environment.
Excellent Company, takes care of their customers
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 23, 2014
My day started with email and messenger communication. Going through your work, if you have special projects, looking at schedule to see what I was up to that day. 1/2 hour lunch. Afternoon meetings, team meeting once a week. Once a month company overview

I learned many programs. I was doing a lot inventory control which I am very versed in but I learned about goverment warehouses. I learned 3 new systems
My co-workers with great team players and I made many life long friends.

The most enjoyable part was all my work with data. I enjoy analyzing data. I was able to work with management.
Friendly place to work
Data Entry Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioMarch 5, 2013
Typical day at work:
Going to see your friends. We work in a profesional way and we do respect one another.

Learned how to be patient,how to appreciate having a job.

Management: I don't deal with the management, but from an employee point of view, i would give them a 6 out of 10.

co-workers: great personalities

Hardest part of the job: sometimes we get so much work we have to concentrate all day.

the most enjoyable part of the job: is one when laugh, when we tell jokes to eath other, or when i bring tea bags and share it with everyone!
GDC is an excellent company. Employee support is outstanding
Senior Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2012
As a long term employee of General Dynamics, I feel I am in a position to give them a very positive and honest review. Through strong leadership, GDC has overcome many obstacles over the years to enable itself to thrive in the marketplace. Being recognized as a grandfather in hi-tech, it has built its reputation on quality products and delivery excellence.
They have an outstanding employee support program that includes not only the financial benefits of their employees but the mental and physical attributes of their employees.
GDC has honorably earned 5 stars
Pros
excellent employee support, outreach programs, good benefits and pension, supports employee welfare
Cons
very long hours
Company where people are friendly and work together to achieve the challenging work goals
Senior Component Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2013
The company sets the goals high and through the combined effort of employees usually achieves them. It is a good place to work for.

In-house fitness programs and the gym right on-site. It is a good way to workout the stress.
Pros
The people work and interact great together.
Cons
Work greatly influenced by outside contracts - or the lack of it
great place to work
Train new employees, lead hand, repair welds (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 30, 2014
i would do something different almost everyday..the day seemed to go by quickly most days.. i learned alot about lavs..and how they work in the battle field..what they can do and how they protect the army personnel...my co-workers were great easy to get along with..the hardest part of job was repairing someones eleses work..the most enjoyable was the paycheck..

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews by Location