Gateway Casinos Employee Reviews

Managment
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Villa Casino Edmonton15 July 2017
Very fast paced energetic environment. Lots of pressure from upper management to increase sales. Bonuses are pulled if you do not achieve overly high sales expectations.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long hours 10-12
It's about the MONEY!
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 June 2017
A day in the life of a Gateway employee. Look busy, cover your back, make sure the bullseye is on someone else.
For the most part, under educated individuals with large egos who control the casino empire for Catalyst Equity Group.
There has not been a just case for employee dismissal since the original founders sold it Catalyst.
Bullying is the normal, senior leadership team have absolutely no ethical behavioural traits.
Pros
Non
Cons
Low pay. Long hours and zero gratitude
Horrible place to work
admin (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 March 2017
Worked in the head office.. Management bully's.. they fire employees for no reason other than a manager has a personal conflict with you. Development team has so many people going in and out because of the management.

Bullying, and HR department does nothing. Senior Manager has a reputation in the industry as being a bully, swears, yells and talks down to employees, trades, etc.

Shame on you Gateway.. horrible place to work. If you want a short-lived career.. work here.. otherwise stay away!
Pros
nice fellow employees in the office
Cons
Management sucks
Its a great place to work with many opportunities they have a strong managment team willing to help any way possible its fun and many ways to advance
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 March 2017
Working in this company was a great experience and would be to anybody with a great work ethic. There are many opportunities to advance ones self. They have a great team with many diffrent support systems. It's a place of communication and to me that is a very important thing in any aspect of hospitality.
Pros
Great benefits, rrsp programs, and a great lunch program many other sister company benifits
Cons
Its a very busy place and may need to ask more than once for equipment needed like tongs spoons etc
Lakecity Casino in Vernon BC
security guard (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC31 January 2017
it was a fun place to work, lots of different people with different views and at different walks of life came through those doors. friendly coworkers, competent management, however their policies and procedures are very strict and it is very easy to fall out of their good graces.
Pros
25% discount at the restaurant
Cons
they have a no mercy approach to screw ups
15 years still going
Gateway (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 January 2017
Wage is terrible. The company uses the fact that we make tips to justify this which isn't right.
There is zero incentive to "move up" in the company, in fact when a new supervisor is hired, they actually are making less than me not to mention there is no union protection for them.
Having said all that, there are some great things about the place. The front line staff are generally great to work with. There are a handful of core people that keep things somewhat "normal" and make it worth while. If you enjoy drama and work place affairs and relationships this is a great place to work lol
If you're able to keep your head down and stay out of the drama and do your job and balance then you're golden.
Nice to just put in a uniform and go to work and when you leave, the job is left at the door and you can go home without worry.
The benefits are quite good, only wish there was a pension plan.
Main reason I stay is for the tips and flexible schedule. Can be a great gig if you're going to school or to supplement other income.
Pros
Union
Cons
Uneducated and "entitled" supervisors
A career that will challenge and push you out of your comfort zone
Gaming Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 November 2016
The summary pretty much sums it all up.
No day is the same
Some days you'd wish you were somewhere else
Some days there was no support to speak of !!
Pros
Personal and career fullfilment
Cons
No support and office politics
elegant new casino, fabulous, fantastic,
Dealer/ Table Games (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2016
need benefits for at list upon hiring to 3 months provisionary periods. I need more hours, have to adjust the balnce of hours taking and giving to all employees...p
Pros
No benefits till 6 months
Cons
Few hours
Don't waste your time
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kelowna2 June 2016
This organization treats their server like the lower of the species. I would suggest not waste your time. If you don't believe me look at their ad and I quote can you stand for long periods of time....I don't know can most people stand for eight hours and never take a break. The staff is miserible and I don't blame them. That's what you get when your under paid and over worked. I guess the standing for long period of time does that to a person. If your really desperate I guess go work there but I would suggest welfare you will make more money. Think about it when you see a company constantly advertising for server it's not because nobody know how to serve there is a reason for that it's pretty self explanatory don't make the mistake it's not fun and it's a really degrading experience that I suggest you save yourself from encountering.
Pros
Quitting or getting fired
fun and somtimes exciting
Gaming Security Officer / First Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC18 April 2016
I've been a excellent employee for over eleven years of service...

over eleven years I've seen structural growth friends family born as well watch friends succeed .
Pros
Great company
Cons
needs a pension plan for employees
Stay away
No body! (Former Employee) –  Burnaby17 September 2014
Stay away! Lie upon lie! If bullying is what you like then take a position with gateway!
Cons
Generally a good place to work
Supervisor, Security Department (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 September 2013
As a Supervisor for the Security Department, my day would start with reviewing the events of the previous shift. I ensured that my shift was sufficiently staffed to meet the Casino safety requirements. I liaised with Management and BCLC Representatives to investigate unusual activities and resolved conflicts.
Had good Management and staff to work with.
Dealing with intoxicated patrons was my least enjoyable part of the job. Watching people lose their hard earned money and become addicted to gambling was a close second. I enjoyed the daily interaction with players and my co-workers.
Gateway allowed me to use my judgement which greatly helped me better my customer service, conflict management and decision making skills.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Shift work
Stay far far away from gateway lake city
manager kind of  (Former Employee) –  lake city29 May 2013
I was employed by this "team of 3,000 professionals in nine casinos"

What a joke. They pay you little money and have no structure. The training programs that were used 10 years ago are still their standards today. The site I worked at the staff brought in their own stuff from home to keep the F/B and other departments running.

We had to beg the GM to get us two trays of sandwiches' for our guests when we offed a major poker tournament format.

If there posting for a Games Manager or General Manager beware..........the duties are not even close to what they describe and you will be flushing you gaming career down the toilet.

This companies standards and vision is to cut as much as possible while maintaining an efficient operation. Good Luck

And I left on good terms.
Pros
very few its a place to get a paycheck not build a career
Cons
too many
ugh...don't waste your time
Dealer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 April 2013
Do you like:
Dealing with drunks
Dealing with gambling addicts, who make it your fault they're losing
Dealing with customers who can get under your skin and you can't do anything about it, because you're trained to be "professional"
Dealing with clueless management
Dealing with constant changing policies that have 0 logic or reason
Working until 4am every Friday and Saturday
Working until 2am the rest of the week
Not having any friends outside of work, only the people you work with

Then this is a job for you
Pros
early-out
Cons
everything
Casino environment
Gaming Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Westminster BC20 February 2013
24 hour casino environment. Warning you may become addicted to gambling seeing it all day. Often depressing environment.
Gateway Casino
Gaming Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Surrey BC21 January 2013
The typical day at Gateway casinos was a decent day. You would arrive at work and commence working within 20 mins. I learned a lot of skills for advancement in my career in Law Enforcement. Hardest part of the job was the overnights with no rotation.