Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited

Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited Employee Reviews

Long hours, never a dull moment
Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2017
You have to put in a lot of hours, even beyond that is normally expected. I was pulled into doing the transition from the Grand Villa Casino from Baccarat. It was an 8 month contract. Typical IT work. I was not involved in the intricate details of the planning process. Help was needed in the whole transition, and I had done what I was supposed to do. There was a lot of coordination between vendors, suppliers, and contractors. In the end the Grand Villa Casino was a success in terms of getting the IT completed. I enjoyed working with Thomas who was my supervisor. He was very involved in the whole transition. Before the opening on September, I was pretty burnt out in travelling back and forth from the casinos. I can't really complain, due to the fact that this was a temporary position. During this whole endevour I learned to provide a good plan and plan for alternative options. The casino life is a bit different than what is to be expected.The fun part is seeing the patrons roaming around with smiles across their faces and mesmerized by the atmosphere. The most difficult part is to maintain proper timelines to ensure the opening was a success.
Pros
Environment is exciting and new, can get discounts on food, always on the run
Cons
Loud (all you hear is noises, bells, slot machines, laughter etc, but this should be expected).
Too much work for little reward
Adminstration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2016
The company overall focuses only on every penny and does not support it's administration staff well. They don't pay well, and when you work hard and long hours, you're under appreciated and told to work different without any actual direction, training or time to improve before they boot you.

Management was all over the place, and fixated only on the bottom line. They have a major lack of communication and personnel skills.

Front line staff are fantastic and need to be the main focus, but the lunch room is extremely tiny and breaks are far and few between. Only take a job if it is union. But only if you want minimum wage.
Pros
Great employees (Front line staff)
Cons
Gateway is an excellent company.
Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 December 2015
I am a current employee in Alberta - not placing a review as a disgruntled former employee. Gateway is under new leadership and they have created a wonderful new culture. Finished negotiating all but one of the collective agreements for the foreseeable future and set strong goals - that include continued expansion, further development of their people and becoming one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and all that entails!
Pros
strong leadership, expansion, promotion from within
a fun place to work at
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby BC14 October 2015
I have learned many soft skills of being a qualified BA. Such as negotiation skills, dealing with conflicts, problem solving, presentation and public speaking
One of BC's Worst Company's
dealer (Former Employee) –  Langley8 October 2013
This particular gaming company pays well, has good benefits, but has no job security, or loyalty to its employee's.
The Langley casino is micro managed and employee's are treated like second class citizens.
Co-workers are great and there is a large amount of really wonderful people.
The hardest part of job besides management is the hours and the no fun policys.
The most enjoyable part of job is the other employees.
One thing to always keep in mind with being employed by this company, is that no job is safe and long term employees are let go without just cause because they can afford to pay out the large severances with a blink of an eye.
Employee's were let go that had over 10 and 15 years employment with gateway. No cause was given.
benefits
Cons
management
Great people and very dynamic industry
Director, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 June 2013
It was an exceptional place to learn a multi-faceted industry that ran 24/7/365.
Pros
Great working environment and people
Cons
Leadership
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited
Executive Manager, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2012
The industry runs 24/7/365 and the pressure to perform is quite evident. I thrive on the pressure and know that I made a difference each and every day of my employ and this company. Driving revenue and developing my staff is what made the job an absolute pleasure.
Pros
never the same day twice. ever-evolving industry
Cons
no down time. 24/7 business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8