GateGourmet Employee Reviews

Worst senior management
Operations, former employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 October 2016
One of the way to tell how good a company is to work for is its ability to retain talent. I keep seeing the same job postings coming up for GG over and over again in the last few years. This must make one thinks what they do to employees to make them leave so often, especially when these postings are mid-management positions.

The General Manager was a tyranny, had little knowledge of the food industry and still ran on the 'iron fist' management style from the 70's. Senior management is so focus on labour cost that he does not see other important aspects of running a food business, such a quality, waste, and employee morales.

I would not recommend this place to anyone that already have senior management experience from other progressive companies, it will just leave you frustrated and feel suffocated due to the micromanagement style from the top. However, it can be a good stepping stone for freshly graduates.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, Silo mentality
i really like to work here
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 March 2017
I am working as buyer in this since 2012.,good place to work. management is very helpful.
workplces culture is very comfetable.
Enjoyable part of job is full fun.
Management requires improvement
1st cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2016
Need to invest more in staff.

keep cutting budget and forces workers to produce more.

management do not know how to handle problems.

equipment keep breaking and not fixing it.

horrible staff meals.

Pay is not that high.

people who work there long time very lazy.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
bad management with low pay
Productive work with learning oppurtunity
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
I had been blessed to work at this company. I have learned different softwares and have got oppurtunity to meet different kind of people with different background.
productive under stress and fun department.
Foodstore Leadhand Receiver (HACCP) (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QC22 January 2016
learned alot about different aircraft types,
when working with a good group of co-workers, makes a day enjoyable!
responsiblity and leadership.
learned about quality of foods(fruits,veg,meats and fish)
very good experience in the work force.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some poor managment.
I wish i had enough money to say those 2 words.
Order Control Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 January 2015
I don't know where to begin... This is a airline CATERING company, and they fail to CATER us at lunch with decent meals. Uncooked meat, over-and-over again rice/dal, .. it used to be gourmet - but not anymore.

I take verbal abuse on a daily basis from Operations Managers - they think they own everybody because they have power. I heard some guy downstairs say "you dont f** with the ops manager, they will make your life miserable here if you do."

There is too much politics in Management - equality does not reside in this Toronto branch. I've worked for almost a decade now - even took a pay cut to gain experience in management; still no raise or promotion (which they had promised us last year).

Lack of management support is an issue. They go home whenever they want and don't pick up calls when issues arise. And they pressure you to over OT or double shifts when someone calls in sick. Hey, buddy whos getting paid more than us - heres an idea? how about YOU do some work??
Pros
Cons
over worked and underpaid
No time to play around, just concentration at work
Miantenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
Working a Gate a Gourmet it was one of my best experience in life, moving inside of the international airport inspecting and helping the fleet trucks serving food for the different airlines on time. My co-workers all them show all the secret to be an expert in a short time. the hardest part of the job was, when we have a broken truck in the door of one airplane Gate Gourmet have to pay $1,000 for every minute to take off deleted
Pros
The food at any break time was good
Cons
The time at working hours we were busy all day full
Too many long hours, short staffed, high turnover
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec2 March 2013
Hours are long, working conditions not the best, short staffed and a high turnover of employees. Salary freezes and when time for a raise after salary freezes, you are back to square 1, more salary freezes !
Pros
some nice people
Cons
long hours, hectic constantly
Productive and fast-paced work place
Kitchen Assistant and Galley Builder (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2014
A typical day at work starts at 6:30 am and ends at 3:00pm. I prepare meals for flights and help with packaging. I learned a lot about team work, precision and punctuality. We have a good management team and helpful co-workers.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Gate gourmet review
Liquor Handler/ Final Assembly (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2016
Great company to work for, excellent management and amazing team to work with. Always looking forward to my next shift. It's a great company to work for
Pros
Provides lunches
Cons
low hours during summer months
Every day is different
Food Prep/Production (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 January 2014
Good union job,& benefits,but no where to move up.Working in the airline industry,new owners are trying to break up our union,work stability is in the dark.Over all my fellow employees,supervisors are good people.
Great team and friendly people
Operations Excellence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Great place to start a career as most people are friendly easy to approach and willing to help.
Cafe provides free meals 3 times a day.
Worst place to work at, worst boss to work for
Warehouse & Procurement (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2013
I came on board with a vast experience and background in distribution. However, I found the GM of YEG is involved in hiding facts and selective in his approach. He targeted those who he didn't like regardless of their work ethics. Evidence of theft on the job was provided to him on several instances and he gave the employees in question a benefit of doubt. He also worked on projects without a clear priority in mind and did not do any follow up. He showed his senior management that everything was great but in fact it wasn't. Through out my time, I didn't receive any praise for my work despite my long hours or extra work to get the job done. I will never recommend him to any one nor will I work for such a person in my life. His management team included some persons that were not qualified and were getting a free hand due to his selective targeting. The work place was a terrible example of a plant that provided catering to the best airlines in the world. The GM should have been removed long time ago as he was in the footsteps of previous management who I didn't work with but heard numerous stories about their malpractices and other unprofessional work ethics. Overall the company is not a bad company but the Edmonton branch was the worst place to work at due to the senior management. I will never go back there as I have nightmares of the place. You will be surprised that your work is being judged by a person who doesn't even know your work and is unable to support and ducks you. There were instances where my boss left me face the heat directly from customers when there could have  more... been a better explanation of things, had my boss knew what was going on.  less
Pros
free lunch
Cons
unclear priorities, undisciplined work place, worst boss
great benefits
Breakfast/Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 August 2014
good company for Hospitality/ Great benefits. Friendly staff./
Every month birthday and anniversary cup cakes.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 May 2013
Everyday is a great day at work, a typical day is doing inventory, shipping, receiving and make sure all things are supplied so that there is no delays.
I learn that you have to be flexible and when you work with others it's a good idea to lead by example
I work with great management that are willing to listen and make it easy for us to give our customers the best service.
I have great co-workers where we can help each other and get the work done.
The hardest part of my job is not knowing if I have a job or if I am going to be laid off at any giving time.
I really do enjoy everything about my job, I fell like what ever you are doing for a living you have to enjoy it and it will not fell like work at all.

Pros
Free lunch and parking.
Cons
I wake up at 3:00am
Depends on locations
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2014
Like many large company, how good is to work there depends on your immediate boss and the exact location you are working in. I am not going to put the whole company down, but the location that I had a brief encounter with was not a place I would suggest. The senior management was not transparent, he micro-manages (like management meeting daily!) I have been in similar role in a similar size company, and I meet with my senior staff once a week, not daily!!! My first 90 days there, the GM wants me to suspend close to 20% of my department! When I voiced my opinion he decided to discharge me. Furthermore, during my time there, I told him that we should look at the quality of food we produced by doing taste test (like most food manufacturing company that I headed up), his comment was that we never got our audition marks dotted because of taste!!! Good grief, that's what we are feeding the airline customers?!!!
Pros
Large company, chance to grow
Cons
Senior management has very little knowledge of food industry
Desired place to Work at but can be stressful and hard at times.
Commissary Worker at Pearson Airport (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2015
There would be days where work tasks wouldn't be too tedious and were manageable by one person. Other days one person would be expected to do the work-load of 2-3 people by himself. Equipment and elevators sometimes didn't work which complicated work-load for everybody. Staff was properly taken care of and fed in terms of health and safety.
Pros
Free lunches
Productive and fun place to work at
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto International Airport21 November 2013
A typical day is starting my shift around 10 am until 7pm, pick up my flight schedules and list of flights for the day, usually domestic flights; such as montreal, vancouver, etc. I rarely dealt with international flights since i was a seasonal p/timer and a junior within the company because they are bigger flights, and i mean by that with return meals as well so it's double. Atleast, i received 10-12 flights per day. The management and co-workers were great, loved them all but i barely use to see the supervisor around, but quality assurance is usually around or customer service since it is food handling. As a final Assembler, my job was to ensure/check all the required meals are on board and ready to go onto the departing flight at my own pace within datelines provided by the management. The hardest part was not getting enough hours to work as the other senior employees. The most enjoyable was each worker gets their own flights to work with at their own timeframe and separated. I loved everyone and Gate gourmet is a great company, fun, huge and has a great reputation.
Pros
Fresh Buffet lunches cooked by chef
Cons
Short hours per weekly
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE EMPLOYEED
NO COMMENT (Current Employee) –  TORONTO3 August 2012
WORST JOB EVER!!!....DO NOT APPLY, YOU WILL REGRET IT BIG TIME.
Pros
no comment
Cons
long hours-rude employees and management
Very great management and working environment
Maintenance Technician - (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 October 2015
My manager at the time was always very supportive from the beginning. The work was very extensive and organized. Got every job done with ease as all equipment and training was available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GateGourmet. Our community is ready to answer.