GateGourmet

GateGourmet Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I wish i had enough money to say those 2 words.
Order Control Agent (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Cons: over worked and underpaid
I don't know where to begin... This is a airline CATERING company, and they fail to CATER us at lunch with decent meals. Uncooked meat, over-and-over again rice/dal, .. it used to be gourmet - but not anymore.

I take verbal abuse on a daily basis from Operations Managers - they think they own everybody because they have power. I heard some guy downstairs say "you dont f** with the ops manager, they will make your life miserable here if you do."

There is too much politics in Management - equality does not reside in this Toronto branch. I've worked for almost a decade now - even took a pay cut to gain experience in management; still no raise or promotion (which they had promised us last year).

Lack of management support is an issue. They go home whenever they want and don't pick up calls when issues arise. And they pressure you to over OT or double shifts when someone calls in sick. Hey, buddy whos getting paid more than us - heres an idea? how about YOU do some work??
Depends on locations
Production Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 6, 2014
Pros: large company, chance to grow
Cons: senior management has very little knowledge of food industry
Like many large company, how good is to work there depends on your immediate boss and the exact location you are working in. I am not going to put the whole company down, but the location that I had a brief encounter with was not a place I would suggest. The senior management was not transparent, he micro-manages (like management meeting daily!) I have been in similar role in a similar size company, and I meet with my senior staff once a week, not daily!!! My first 90 days there, the GM wants me to suspend close to 20% of my department! When I voiced my opinion he decided to discharge me. Furthermore, during my time there, I told him that we should look at the quality of food we produced by doing taste test (like most food manufacturing company that I headed up), his comment was that we never got our audition marks dotted because of taste!!! Good grief, that's what we are feeding the airline customers?!!!
Amazing Workplace Opportunity
Marshal or tow aircraft (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
Pros: gourmet lunch everyday
Cons: afternoon shift
Working in the field of hospitality and tourism has taught me great skills in customer care and service and I plan on utilizing these skills to expand my knowledge and apply them to be apart of a company with integrity, compassion, and cooperation. I got to learn a great deal of the flight operations as this was my 2nd year of seasonal experienceand I hope to learn more. The hardest part of the job was trying not to be amazed by the planes everyday!
Good Benefits
Retail Technology Agent (Current Employee), Alberta CanadaSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: adjustable schedule
Cons: working outside to get into the plane during winter
Management in our section is easy to deal with long as you do your job well.
My co-workers are great.
Typical day at work would be getting into each plane that lands to perform task like updating
great benefits
Breakfast/Grill Cook (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 18, 2014
good company for Hospitality/ Great benefits. Friendly staff./
Productive and fast-paced work place
Kitchen Assistant and Galley Builder (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches, benefits
A typical day at work starts at 6:30 am and ends at 3:00pm. I prepare meals for flights and help with packaging. I learned a lot about team work, precision and punctuality. We have a good management team and helpful co-workers.
Every day is different
Food Prep/Production (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Good union job,& benefits,but no where to move up.Working in the airline industry,new owners are trying to break up our union,work stability is in the dark.Over all my fellow employees,supervisors are good people.
Productive and fun place to work at
Final Assembler (Former Employee), Toronto International AirportNovember 21, 2013
Pros: fresh buffet lunches cooked by chef
Cons: short hours per weekly
A typical day is starting my shift around 10 am until 7pm, pick up my flight schedules and list of flights for the day, usually domestic flights; such as montreal, vancouver, etc. I rarely dealt with international flights since i was a seasonal p/timer and a junior within the company because they are bigger flights, and i mean by that with return meals as well so it's double. Atleast, i received 10-12 flights per day. The management and co-workers were great, loved them all but i barely use to see the supervisor around, but quality assurance is usually around or customer service since it is food handling. As a final Assembler, my job was to ensure/check all the required meals are on board and ready to go onto the departing flight at my own pace within datelines provided by the management. The hardest part was not getting enough hours to work as the other senior employees. The most enjoyable was each worker gets their own flights to work with at their own timeframe and separated. I loved everyone and Gate gourmet is a great company, fun, huge and has a great reputation.
friendly working environment
Production Team Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 11, 2013
Learned to work as a Team Member , Had friendly environment.
Worst place to work at, worst boss to work for
Warehouse & Procurement (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: unclear priorities, undisciplined work place, worst boss
I came on board with a vast experience and background in distribution. However, I found the GM of YEG is involved in hiding facts and selective in his approach. He targeted those who he didn't like regardless of their work ethics. Evidence of theft on the job was provided to him on several instances and he gave the employees in question a benefit of doubt. He also worked on projects without a clear priority in mind and did not do any follow up. He showed his senior management that everything was great but in fact it wasn't. Through out my time, I didn't receive any praise for my work despite my long hours or extra work to get the job done. I will never recommend him to any one nor will I work for such a person in my life. His management team included some persons that were not qualified and were getting a free hand due to his selective targeting. The work place was a terrible example of a plant that provided catering to the best airlines in the world. The GM should have been removed long time ago as he was in the footsteps of previous management who I didn't work with but heard numerous stories about their malpractices and other unprofessional work ethics. Overall the company is not a bad company but the Edmonton branch was the worst place to work at due to the senior management. I will never go back there as I have nightmares of the place. You will be surprised that your work is being judged by a person who doesn't even know your work and is unable to support and ducks you. There were instances where my boss left me face the heat directly from customers when there could have been a better explanation of things, had my boss knew what was going on.
Every month birthday and anniversary cup cakes.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2013
Pros: free lunch and parking.
Cons: i wake up at 3:00am
Everyday is a great day at work, a typical day is doing inventory, shipping, receiving and make sure all things are supplied so that there is no delays.
I learn that you have to be flexible and when you work with others it's a good idea to lead by example
I work with great management that are willing to listen and make it easy for us to give our customers the best service.
I have great co-workers where we can help each other and get the work done.
The hardest part of my job is not knowing if I have a job or if I am going to be laid off at any giving time.
I really do enjoy everything about my job, I fell like what ever you are doing for a living you have to enjoy it and it will not fell like work at all.
Too many long hours, short staffed, high turnover
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Montreal, QuebecMarch 2, 2013
Pros: some nice people
Cons: long hours, hectic constantly
Hours are long, working conditions not the best, short staffed and a high turnover of employees. Salary freezes and when time for a raise after salary freezes, you are back to square 1, more salary freezes !

March 15, 2013

I am a former employee and I feel that we were not able to communicate with the checkers or general aids. I found there was favoritism and jealousy. No matter how hard you worked you never get recognized and don't feel appreciated.

Airline Catering
ASG Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2012
Fast paced environment.
Good management.
Fun loving colleagues.

June 3, 2013

I don't agree with the last 2 comments.....sorry but this is my opinion. Its fast paced but management is the worst and there is a lot of jealousy among colleagues and people pass the buck to save themselves from getting the heat!!!!

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE EMPLOYEED
NO COMMENT (Current Employee), TORONTOAugust 3, 2012
Pros: no comment
Cons: long hours-rude employees and management
WORST JOB EVER!!!....DO NOT APPLY, YOU WILL REGRET IT BIG TIME.
favoritisme/racial
chauffeur (Former Employee), dorvalJuly 26, 2015
Pros: repas inclus
Cons: syndicat corrompu
le travail que je faisais était motivant on ne voit pas l'heure passer
cependant le management le rendait compliqué en favorisant certains et écrasant d'autres

About GateGourmet

Gate Gourmet is an airline catering firm with headquarters on the grounds of Zürich Airport, Switzerland, near Zürich. As – Read more