GateGourmet Employee Reviews in Canada

productive under stress and fun department.
Foodstore Leadhand Receiver (HACCP) (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCJanuary 22, 2016
learned alot about different aircraft types,
when working with a good group of co-workers, makes a day enjoyable!
responsiblity and leadership.
learned about quality of foods(fruits,veg,meats and fish)
very good experience in the work force.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some poor managment.
I wish i had enough money to say those 2 words.
Order Control Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2015
I don't know where to begin... This is a airline CATERING company, and they fail to CATER us at lunch with decent meals. Uncooked meat, over-and-over again rice/dal, .. it used to be gourmet - but not anymore.

I take verbal abuse on a daily basis from Operations Managers - they think they own everybody because they have power. I heard some guy downstairs say "you dont f** with the ops manager, they will make your life miserable here if you do."

There is too much politics in Management - equality does not reside in this Toronto branch. I've worked for almost a decade now - even took a pay cut to gain experience in management; still no raise or promotion (which they had promised us last year).

Lack of management support is an issue. They go home whenever they want and don't pick up calls when issues arise. And they pressure you to over OT or double shifts when someone calls in sick. Hey, buddy whos getting paid more than us - heres an idea? how about YOU do some work??
Cons
over worked and underpaid
Gate gourmet review
Liquor Handler/ Final Assembly (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 11, 2016
Great company to work for, excellent management and amazing team to work with. Always looking forward to my next shift. It's a great company to work for
Pros
Provides lunches
Cons
low hours during summer months
Great team and friendly people
Operations Excellence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Great place to start a career as most people are friendly easy to approach and willing to help.
Cafe provides free meals 3 times a day.
Desired place to Work at but can be stressful and hard at times.
Commissary Worker at Pearson Airport (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 9, 2015
There would be days where work tasks wouldn't be too tedious and were manageable by one person. Other days one person would be expected to do the work-load of 2-3 people by himself. Equipment and elevators sometimes didn't work which complicated work-load for everybody. Staff was properly taken care of and fed in terms of health and safety.
Pros
Free lunches
Too many long hours, short staffed, high turnover
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecMarch 2, 2013
Hours are long, working conditions not the best, short staffed and a high turnover of employees. Salary freezes and when time for a raise after salary freezes, you are back to square 1, more salary freezes !
Pros
some nice people
Cons
long hours, hectic constantly
Productive and fast-paced work place
Kitchen Assistant and Galley Builder (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts at 6:30 am and ends at 3:00pm. I prepare meals for flights and help with packaging. I learned a lot about team work, precision and punctuality. We have a good management team and helpful co-workers.
Pros
free lunches, benefits
alright place to work
ware wash (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
the working environment is very cold, messy because of the leftover food and wet at times depending on which division you work in.
Pros
lunch is provided
Cons
long shifts
Every day is different
Food Prep/Production (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Good union job,& benefits,but no where to move up.Working in the airline industry,new owners are trying to break up our union,work stability is in the dark.Over all my fellow employees,supervisors are good people.
Very great management and working environment
Maintenance Technician - (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 25, 2015
My manager at the time was always very supportive from the beginning. The work was very extensive and organized. Got every job done with ease as all equipment and training was available.
Worst place to work at, worst boss to work for
Warehouse & Procurement (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 13, 2013
I came on board with a vast experience and background in distribution. However, I found the GM of YEG is involved in hiding facts and selective in his approach. He targeted those who he didn't like regardless of their work ethics. Evidence of theft on the job was provided to him on several instances and he gave the employees in question a benefit of doubt. He also worked on projects without a clear priority in mind and did not do any follow up. He showed his senior management that everything was great but in fact it wasn't. Through out my time, I didn't receive any praise for my work despite my long hours or extra work to get the job done. I will never recommend him to any one nor will I work for such a person in my life. His management team included some persons that were not qualified and were getting a free hand due to his selective targeting. The work place was a terrible example of a plant that provided catering to the best airlines in the world. The GM should have been removed long time ago as he was in the footsteps of previous management who I didn't work with but heard numerous stories about their malpractices and other unprofessional work ethics. Overall the company is not a bad company but the Edmonton branch was the worst place to work at due to the senior management. I will never go back there as I have nightmares of the place. You will be surprised that your work is being judged by a person who doesn't even know your work and is unable to support and ducks you. There were instances where my boss left me face the heat directly from customers when there could have  more... been a better explanation of things, had my boss knew what was going on.  less
Pros
free lunch
Cons
unclear priorities, undisciplined work place, worst boss
great benefits
Breakfast/Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 18, 2014
good company for Hospitality/ Great benefits. Friendly staff./
Depends on locations
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 6, 2014
Like many large company, how good is to work there depends on your immediate boss and the exact location you are working in. I am not going to put the whole company down, but the location that I had a brief encounter with was not a place I would suggest. The senior management was not transparent, he micro-manages (like management meeting daily!) I have been in similar role in a similar size company, and I meet with my senior staff once a week, not daily!!! My first 90 days there, the GM wants me to suspend close to 20% of my department! When I voiced my opinion he decided to discharge me. Furthermore, during my time there, I told him that we should look at the quality of food we produced by doing taste test (like most food manufacturing company that I headed up), his comment was that we never got our audition marks dotted because of taste!!! Good grief, that's what we are feeding the airline customers?!!!
Pros
large company, chance to grow
Cons
senior management has very little knowledge of food industry
Every month birthday and anniversary cup cakes.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2013
Everyday is a great day at work, a typical day is doing inventory, shipping, receiving and make sure all things are supplied so that there is no delays.
I learn that you have to be flexible and when you work with others it's a good idea to lead by example
I work with great management that are willing to listen and make it easy for us to give our customers the best service.
I have great co-workers where we can help each other and get the work done.
The hardest part of my job is not knowing if I have a job or if I am going to be laid off at any giving time.
I really do enjoy everything about my job, I fell like what ever you are doing for a living you have to enjoy it and it will not fell like work at all.
Pros
free lunch and parking.
Cons
i wake up at 3:00am
Productive and fun place to work at
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto International AirportNovember 21, 2013
A typical day is starting my shift around 10 am until 7pm, pick up my flight schedules and list of flights for the day, usually domestic flights; such as montreal, vancouver, etc. I rarely dealt with international flights since i was a seasonal p/timer and a junior within the company because they are bigger flights, and i mean by that with return meals as well so it's double. Atleast, i received 10-12 flights per day. The management and co-workers were great, loved them all but i barely use to see the supervisor around, but quality assurance is usually around or customer service since it is food handling. As a final Assembler, my job was to ensure/check all the required meals are on board and ready to go onto the departing flight at my own pace within datelines provided by the management. The hardest part was not getting enough hours to work as the other senior employees. The most enjoyable was each worker gets their own flights to work with at their own timeframe and separated. I loved everyone and Gate gourmet is a great company, fun, huge and has a great reputation.
Pros
fresh buffet lunches cooked by chef
Cons
short hours per weekly
worst ever team
Planner - Dispatcher - Transport Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 12, 2015
This was like working back in the 60's .... 1860
Unfortunately management has less than necessary skill sets and experience.
Amazing Workplace Opportunity
Marshal or tow aircraft (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
Working in the field of hospitality and tourism has taught me great skills in customer care and service and I plan on utilizing these skills to expand my knowledge and apply them to be apart of a company with integrity, compassion, and cooperation. I got to learn a great deal of the flight operations as this was my 2nd year of seasonal experienceand I hope to learn more. The hardest part of the job was trying not to be amazed by the planes everyday!
Pros
gourmet lunch everyday
Cons
afternoon shift
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE EMPLOYEED
NO COMMENT (Current Employee) –  TORONTOAugust 3, 2012
WORST JOB EVER!!!....DO NOT APPLY, YOU WILL REGRET IT BIG TIME.
Pros
no comment
Cons
long hours-rude employees and management
Good Benefits
Retail Technology Agent (Current Employee) –  Alberta CanadaSeptember 20, 2014
Management in our section is easy to deal with long as you do your job well.
My co-workers are great.
Typical day at work would be getting into each plane that lands to perform task like updating
Pros
adjustable schedule
Cons
working outside to get into the plane during winter
Lead Hand, BarBuilder (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QCFebruary 23, 2015
the funnest part of the job is going home after 8hrs...good co-workers to be around, I've learned to that the airport business is not for me