Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry.
We are currently looking for a Supervisor, EPA to join our team based in Toronto, Canada. Reporting to the Manager of EPA, the position is responsible for supervising thirty plus food production employees in a unionized environment to ensure security, safety, food specifications, quality assurance of products, sanitation, HACCP, USDA and FDA regulations are followed and are responsible for labor and Material cost controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures quality production standards are followed and maintained.
- Ensures employees adhere to HACCP, FDA, USDA and safety regulations and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Prepares management reports (ex. attendance, HAACCP and labor) reports as required.
- Responsible for safety, quality and compliance with customer specifications and regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Ensures specifications, airline diagrams, and other standards are accurate according to the airline specifications.
- Ensures that all products are coded according to Gate Gourmet procedures.
- Conducts inventory of Gate Gourmet products and customer materials to ensure proper usage and minimization of waste.
- Completes required requisitions for the Storeroom to ensure adequate supply is maintained.
- Responsible for maintaining daily temperature logs and other logs and reports as required.
- Works with maintenance staff to ensure preventive maintenance of machinery according to schedules, reports maintenance and repair issues in timely manner.
- Controls material cost and other controllable costs.
- Maintains all financial goals related to productivity, overtime, labor goals and hours per flight.
- Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit.
- Prepares management reports (ex. Attendance, HAACCP and labor) as required.
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food costs
- Responsible for performance evaluation, coaching, counseling and preparing corrective action for employees and liaises appropriately with HR and other support functions.
- Manages work flow balancing - - the division of responsibilities amongst employees on each shift
- Manages daily manpower planning including assignment of responsibilities and workstations.
- Determines when and whether to call employees in to cover staffing needs (ex. sick calls, vacation relief, medical leaves, volume changes, etc.)
- In conjunction with department leaders determines number of employees needed by shift
- Responsible for employee retention and monitors employee turnover.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates degree preferred.
- 2+ years supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, and restaurant or catering environment or equivalent experience in the related field preferred
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of 30+ hourly employees.
- Current or previous labor relations experience is a plus, but not required.
- Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Ability to train others required.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Excellent time management skills required. Ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Basic computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office products required.
- Expresses oneself clearly and effectively when speaking and writing to individuals and groups; listening attentively and insuring communication is understood by all parties involved
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Ability to obtain ServSafe Certification required.
- ServSafe Certified preferred.
- Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move product, equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds.
- A rotating schedule of over 55 hours per week is typical.