GardaWorld Employee Reviews

Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 August 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
its a fun student job meeting with new peoples .
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 August 2016
where I was working its was a great environment time to time there were rush hours. we work as team . the best part of this job was when it come to serve customer .
Pros
there is lunch paid
Cons
on weekends
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 August 2016
good place to work
good people and environment
mangers very knowledgeable and approachable
Training facilities well prepared and knowledgeable
Unstructured work routine
RECRUITMENT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 August 2016
You need to rely on your own initiative
I learnt that I need to go out of my way to understand my colleagues, management and staff in general
Not great
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 August 2016
Not much good to say. They make a lot of money but that never trickles down to staff.After they bought Intercon they removed any good policies that helped the officers.They are frustrating to deal with and seem to not care much about the people who are keeping them going. They compare poorly to other security companies.They have started hiring people at minimum wage which does not give a good impression. How good can these people be if they will work for that rate? It's embarrassing.
Pros
I am sure there is something but I can't think of anything currently.
Cons
Wage freeze, loss of discounts for shoes and other requirements, apathy toward employees.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 August 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union
job security
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2016
no room for life/work balance.
job responsibilities are not over whelming
very union driven
Great team members
need more communication from mgmt
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.
Security guard
Special Service Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2016
Worst company ever. Stay away from this place at all costs. If you have an interest in law enforcement join government or in house security. Management is a joke and the get slightly higher wages than McDonalds LOL! As a guard they will treat you like a slave and screw you constantly with your pay.
very good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS15 July 2016
Treat their employees very well as a global company need to have more contracts for smaller cities to increase employment
Pros
Very reliable
Cons
need more contracts for small cities
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON14 July 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
Excellent management that identifies talent and promotes within
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 July 2016
I have a high level of respect and admiration for this company. It has employed me and given me opportunities to grow and flourish in the industry.
Pros
lots of work available
Cons
work/life balance is a challenge sometimes
Not a happy camper. ..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON6 July 2016
Management is horrible unorganized and a lacking communication! After awhile things got very confusing to which is which and who was managing who!
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Horrible office environment
Security Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a security dispatcher in the Ottawa office. The behaviour from "management" was unbelievable. The management would cuss at security guards and dispatch staff on a consistent basis. They would also spread rumors and gossip about all staff. Working there was almost unbearable.

I recall when a new member of the dispatch team was added, and instantly the gossip began. The new girl had an issue with the gossipping environment so she took it up with management within a few days of starting her new job. The management laughed in her face and as soon as she left, the management began screaming to other office staff, calling her a lying b**ch, saying that she's a loser, that she is going to get fired if she can't keep her anorexic mouth shut - all while a line of customers were waiting in the lobby, and they were hearing the entire thing.

The management are bullies. If you EVER brought up an issue to them, they would make your life miserable, and they would degrade you and put you down in front of the entire office. They would also take away your hours if you brought a concern to their attention to 'punish' you. If you emailed manager privately about an issue, everyone would know by the next day, because they often read personal emails out loud to mock you.

They were also VERY racist.
The management would consistently tell me "book a GOOD guard for "location", they have to be white and they have to actually be able to speak english. Don't give ____ any shifts, he can barely speak English and he's f**king gross and I'm trying to get him fired."

They would also
  more... bring up past and personal stories about specific guards and tell them to the entire office. Saying that "guard _____ is a f**king loser. He asked for a break because he needed to pray. Once he started praying in the hospital during a shift because we wouldn't give him a break to go do it, he took his socks off and got on a mat and started praying. How f**king disgusting, who the f**k does that"

Often times guards would come in to have a union meeting. When the guards would be sitting and waiting for their meeting, a manager would come into the dispatch office and tell me about how stupid he is, and that she's trying to get him fired because she doesn't like him.

Other than issues with management, I loved my job and I loved interacting with guards and customers. The only negative ting about the job was the management and office environment.

Working at garda world was a horrible environment. Management constantly put people down, it was an extremely negative environment. I do NOT recommend working in the Ottawa office.
Pros
Dispatching was exciting and fun, the guards were great to talk to
Cons
Long hours, made you work 12 hour shifts with only 8 hours between them, horrible management team
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Management Review
SCREENING POINT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 June 2016
Great group of people for the most part but lacks a structured upper management and cohesiveness. Difficult operating at my level without support from my immediate supervisors.
Stressful and no communication in the office.
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2016
This company lacks communication. Rarely communicate on serious issues. Very disorganized in the office. little telephone on personal contact
Pros
Gaining clients.
Cons
no communication or back up
A good company to work at.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Casual20 June 2016
A Good company dealing with security and investigative services .The company has services related with security and investigations.The company has lot of client whom they work with.
Always an opportunity for growth
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 June 2016
always had something different to do - assisting with various departments in maintaining the operations of the branch.
never was a dull or boring day at work always learned something new about the company, my work, and myself in regards to my abilities and skill set.

2.9