GardaWorld Employee Reviews

work place is v v good
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  brampton toronto mississaqua16 March 2017
I feel garda is great and best company to srve for security guard.they offer better pay. Medical benefit.team work.management is very good look after their employee well.supervisor always co operative to guard. Extend guide line to perform duty.garda sites are very nice. They have maximum maal. Petrolling guard also safe. Garda alwsys provide site near to guard home if possible. There is mo threat or violence at work place. People all the wsy praises garda company gor good culture. Good psy structures. Good benefits. I feel it is good to get in to garda world
Great Workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
I loved working for Gardaworld, Even though the transition was hard from TSM (company bought by garda). I was a shift supervisor for a mall in toronto and it was fun. Great staff and management. I was a young supervisor, so most people did not show me much respect but that comes with the job. I made several mistakes of micro managing at times and getting into heated convos with management.
Management fired me from site because i liked to stick up for my guys on my shift. I refused to sit in control while my guys are having a hard time arresting a subject or 2. Extra backup is always good to have. Other supervisors would just throw their guards under the bus and keep their jobs. I refused to do that and got myself fired.

So if you want to keep your job as management, throw people under the bus :)
Pros
breaks, competitive pay, head office management
Cons
too many casual guards sent into high profile sites without proper training
Poor leadership and management team (Calgary Airport Security)
Security screening (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
While GardaWorld might be less than ideal company to work for overall, the front-line management team at the Calgary airport is absolutely the worst! The hardest part of the job is dealing with the amount of politics, backstabbing, and the fear based environment. Throwing people under the bus is a norm because management is full of immature and incompetent pansies who always look for a scapegoat instead of addressing their own errors. They surround themselves with "yes" people and get rid of everyone that have any sense of integrity. As a result, resentment builds up among the hard working staff members who see the squawkers and "yes people" get ahead without merit or get off when they clearly screwed up. The pay is not competitive with market rates and they expect staff to stay late, not have washroom breaks, or have any work/life balance. Beware and Stay away!!!
Pros
None to speak of.
Cons
Incompetent management team who constantly throw people under the bus, catty environment filled with drama, instilled culture of "trust no one"
Poor management, toxic environment
Cash messenger (Former Employee) –  Southern Alberta11 November 2016
Awful management, along side out of date equipment that they expect you to perform to there unrealistic standards. Even when you're working with what you got, your always in the wrong. Terrible support system, nobody from one city to the next gave a hoot about anyone just get home as fast as you can work and drive. ot all came down to the company making money, and not giving a hoot about the employee or the work we perform or dangers some have endured. The employee comes last. A clear sign of the companies and managers made employees arrogant and not care. Very disappointing
Pros
Good pay, above average benefits
Cons
No room for improvement or promotion, bad management, micro managing is a issue, very repetitive job tasks
Progressive and Valuable
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2017
I have worked for GardaWorld Ottawa for a while now and all I have to say is wow. This branch has changed so drastically in the past year or so. Everything from the company culture and people, to the office layout itself and the recent renovations the office has undergone. The management team presently operating out of the Ottawa office have been supportive, understanding, and committed to providing the best services possible to not only their clients, but also the ever committed workforce that drives the organization in the national capital region.

All in all GardaWorld Ottawa has seemingly become an environment conducive to personal success and development, providing new employees with the opportunity to become something more than what they were when they started.
Pros
Team oriented, and results driven
Productive and helpful environment
Security Officer (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
Giving opportunity to new comer by believing them
Everyday is a new day lots of things to learn on corporate sites but with team-work everything is possible and easy to solve. These things are learnt from my sites.
Team-Work
Helpful management

Garda World is offering
Competitive salary
Good Benefits
Pros
Giving opportunities to new comers
Solid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2016
It pays well for a ridiculously easy job, especially if you end up on the night shift. Night shift itself I found to be nice and calm and relaxing, if a bit boring. The 4 days on/4 days off schedule was absolutely fantastic once you adjust, it gives you plenty of time for hobbies or out of town trips. You just can't do much on the days that you are working.

My main issue with the job was how utterly repetitive it got after the first couple of months, there wasn't much left to learn once you got the hang of it. And the lack of promotion options can make you feel a little trapped.

No problems with the management, either on site or from the headquarters. They were all very helpful and accommodating. And nearly all (nobody's perfect) my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

Overall I'd say it's a good temporary job to fill in a blank where you need to save some money.
Pros
decent pay, good work schedule, easy job/low stress
Cons
boring, no real advancement options, repititious
Used to be good until mid 2015
Driver / Messenger / Guard / FLM Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Management are almost abusive. They try to bully and guilt employees to do things.
The managers get worse the higher up you go and the owner is terrible. He fired 140 employees without cause because he refused to offer a fair contract.
I would advise everyone to avoid this place. It used to be great for many years until the current owner decided to destroy it all.
Run, run very far.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
too many to list
Fast pace, energetic environment with opportunity to work with hundreds of different employees.
Screening point manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON25 November 2016
Ample opportunity to work with employees and directly deal with passengers on a daily basis. Upper management is very supportive and there is definitely a great working relationship and collaboration.
Pros
Great dealing with the public and ensuring passengers are safe.
Cons
Long hours and shift work from early mornings to late afternoon; no balance in schedule.
excellent management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  8200 Dixie Road Brampton14 October 2016
I have had a great experience working for Garda. The management is 2nd to none and the working atmosphere is great.

I have met many people of all different cultures and enjoy it.
Pros
nice office, best management team
Cons
low pay and benefits, no animals
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 August 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
Jobs was great
Security Guard/ Security Officer (Former Employee) –  all over Alberta20 January 2017
Liked the jobs where I was place, company kinda not organize, Three manager treated me good. when I call and need anything they tried to get it to me, sometime it would take a long time. Pay was not good
Pros
not bother all the time
Cons
your complaints went on notice asked for pay raise none give
The work was o.k. but the travel was a little difficult.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 March 2017
Very Difficult to advance to a supervisor position.
Management hard to get a hold of. A Very restricting place to work.
I did like the fact I was in loss prevention which I have been doing for a very long time.
Pros
wage was good.
Cons
No advancement
Productive with good management
Security Profile officer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 January 2017
Posted you to various sites and enable you to gain more experience on working on retailer stores, school, malls and airport.
There are a lot of in-service training on special projects.
Pros
GOOD BENEFITS AND JOB SATISFACTION
Cons
LONG HOURS & CONTRACT JOBS WITH CLIENTS
Hazardous to health, safety and well-being
VAULT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2016
Managment tends to avoid useful ideas to help increase company's income, unionized employees have the tendency to think they are entitles to everything and no discipline action required. Procedures are followed accurately, but nobody is willing to praise supervisors/managment for a long day.
Environment was pleasant enough
Data entry for guard info (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
The workplace was not a bad eviorment, but there was a very distinct division between the guards, office staff, and dispatchers. It was made very clear that the office staff were seperate from the rest of the company.

Dispatchers started their shifts from 6:30 am -6:30 pm, we were not allowed to take lunches till after the office staff came back from long lunches, and then complain if they had to take over the phones so we could have our lunch, many occassions lunch was only eaten partically due to the fact we had to answer calls.

Management was vey disorganized, too many cooks in the kitchen, which resulted to a huge huge mistake in vacation pay, and misunderstandings that i was forced to quit my job, because i couldn't get to work,lost my car, and almost my place to live in, because of the finacial mess of vacation pay.All I was told was sorry, theres nothing we can do, and there was a mistake from the accountanting department in Montreal. My experiance in Garda was not a very good one, and wouldnt work for them again, they don't care about the little people.
Pros
good money
Cons
treated as a seperate part of the company.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 August 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union
Everyday is unique and enjoyable
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
Working as a Security Guard aided me in growing into the Strong & Independent man I am today. Easy to speak to managers makes the sites great to work at, as well as helping people makes the job amazing. From assisting people in need to arresting people, its the most full-filling career I could have picked and has made me a very happy man. Thank You Garda.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
No "Thank You's" normally given
Cool training, bad schedules
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing.
Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day)
have to do night shifts before getting to days

Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run.
Paid over time is 1.5x
sometimes double time

most of the guys and gals are nice
Everything is rushed
no benefits for part timers and casuals
Cons
Long hours if you dont know your route
Challenging work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Day to day work is formulaic and involves doing the same things the same way, and often, but special occurrences will challenge your ability to adapt. Working with and around your team to best manage emergencies, irate members of the public, and safety and maintenance issues can make the job rewarding when done well.
Pros
Exercise, learning opportunities, crisis management experience
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts

2.9