GardaWorld Employee Reviews

Good overall experience
Concierge (Current Employee) –  North York, ON26 April 2017
I have been with Garda World for one year. One of the better companies to work for. Good pay good benefits. No problem getting time off. Good training department. Room to grow . If you put in an effort your are treated great. If you only do the bare minimum that is what you get back.
I worked with good people and had a great account director.
so much fun and learning
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
Peaceful job and great experience .Highly skilled proffesionals to work with . Flexible yet highly paying jobs . So much to learn and great productive experience
great learning tools, plenty of hours for work, good coworkers
gatehouse, front desk security (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 April 2017
one of the largest security and protective services provider in Canada. they provide good benefits, great programs for getting advanced knowledge in the industry. Wide variety of work sites and hence work environments.
Management and chain of command is poor/ only works top down. career advancement opportunities are available but the ability to use them is lacking. You have to literally argue with management to hear you out for career advancement and pay raise. Management can be a little unprofessional and uncivil when discussing matter. Threats for sullying employment record and suspension are common.
Pros
courses, multiple sites
Cons
poor scheduling, poor management, poor communication
Excellent
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2017
Great experience for me as I plan to go into border security once I graduate. Interview process was very good and they made me feel very relaxed.
The company answers any questions you have while learning your new job and they provide you with a manual for reference.
Pros
Hours accommodate my University schedule.
Interesting job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2017
Motivational
Law enforcement
Average management
Friendly employment
No rising up in the company
Security and professionalism

Looking for something challenging in my own field
Pros
FLEXIBLE HOURS
Cons
NOTHING TO RISE IN COMPANY
Very poor Mangement/ rude controllers in Edmonton/
Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2017
Been working for garda for almost 3 years, good hours, pay is not bad but they always try to lower it down some how and their employees in the control centre in Edmonton are very rude. Employees there never take anyone serious even tho u tell them that yu have been on site for hours. Other than that I am happy with garda but them idiots in the Control centre need to be talked to.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor control system / rude employees
Good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2017
Really good company if your looking to to get extra hours put into your week. The only down side is that they tend to give you the same positions and rely on seniority.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Same positions
Evolving business model
Manager, Operations Management, Vault and Coin (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 April 2017
As the armored car industry undergoes a shift in business priorities Gardaworld management is attempting to walk in step with their customers while looking for new opportunities. They have a constant focus on cost savings that often translates into the loss of exceptional people to attrition.
Pros
Average pay with benefits and pension
Cons
Long hours, high stress levels
Productive work environment
CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  555 Richmond st.w3 April 2017
Key responsibilities included surveillance of properties managed by Garda Global, also patrol detail.
Updating log books for record keeping with after hours finance management and then securing funds into a safe
Pros
Great Work Benefits
Cons
Rotational Shifts
overall a good place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 April 2017
While working with gardaworld the management was the only problem I had with the company. it was a great place to learn, fun and busy place to work. the clients were excellent, and for the most part didn't give you any trouble for doing your job. how ever management cared more for them selves and their phones then their employees. they picked people they liked to go further with the job while making it very hard for others to grow.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador31 March 2017
Over all a great place to work but the hours are all over the place. Would stay if it was coincident scheduling and hours like everything security isn't for everyone.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
Long hours no benefits
scheduling is a bit messed up
Customer Service and Maintenance staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 March 2017
it was good experience, the uniform is pretty :) some supervisors are really nice, some other gaurds are evil, everyone wants to be better than everyone else. some people complain for no reason
Pros
free uniform
Cons
evil co workers
Great pay/benefits, but that's about it
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2017
Firstly, the hiring process itself wasn't the most difficult of processes (with some of the people I've worked with, its a wonder that they even got hired in the first place). The real emphasis during the tests that they administer is being able to identify objects in sample x-ray images followed by grade school level tests, quite frankly the latter seemed more of a joke than anything else.

Once you get hired on and finish the training, the hours you initially get are up in the air and unfortunately you don't get a say in it. Can't start work at 4AM? Tough luck. It only slightly improves as you work your way up in seniority and bid for slightly better hours every few months. The HR person they had in charge of scheduling when I was there was finicky at best, if she was having a bad day, so were you.

The job itself isn't particularly difficult, as long as you follow the procedures, then the pay is well worth the job. You get the occasional unhappy passenger coming through, but its really to be expected at an airport. Benefits were great too, had the full cost of prescription glasses covered (went with really nice lenses and frames too).

Co-workers were generally okay, however, it seemed generally split in terms of the time of day you are working. Early morning to midday you see the more strict types working, whereas later day to evening you see more relaxed and easy going types. My advice would be to stay away from the early mornings; not a happy bunch and for good reason. However, in general the workplace culture isn't one that's based on keeping the public safe, far
  more... from it in fact. During training they push the idea that you play a big role in aviation security (which I'm not doubting), but most people there are more concerned about job security and pay before public safety.

Management itself was questionable at best, you had a few decent people that genuinely cared about employees, but most of them seemed disconnected from those that worked under them. The quality checkers were a joke. One in particular seemed to make up new rules as he went along and had people written up for it; maybe he had a quota of write-ups to keep? Who knows. One major issues with this particular individual came to a head when he wrote up a co-worker for a procedure that 99% of the people I spoke too had no idea existed. It got to a point where management had to address the matter and essentially put that procedure into effect in order to curb the growing discontent.

If you work in the security industry, this might be a job worth considering. Pay-wise I made 30% more than compared to working a standard security guard position. But I personally would not work this position again.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, hours, job culture
great to work with other people had the opportunity to work on my social skills.
Security guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 March 2017
this job was enjoyable I had a good experience . I had the chance to experience all aspects of security work from fixed post to mobile patrol. the management was great treated with respect, they gave us training which gave us opportunities to make advancement to become supervisors.
Pros
free accomodation and meals
Cons
closed camp
Not For Everyone who likes to work with the public
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
This job is not for everyone who likes to help others. It is the total opposite of working in retail. I would recommend it to people who want to work with the public but not in the retail industry. I also thought the pay wasn't good for the type of work you do.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Progressive and Valuable
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2017
I have worked for GardaWorld Ottawa for a while now and all I have to say is wow. This branch has changed so drastically in the past year or so. Everything from the company culture and people, to the office layout itself and the recent renovations the office has undergone. The management team presently operating out of the Ottawa office have been supportive, understanding, and committed to providing the best services possible to not only their clients, but also the ever committed workforce that drives the organization in the national capital region.

All in all GardaWorld Ottawa has seemingly become an environment conducive to personal success and development, providing new employees with the opportunity to become something more than what they were when they started.
Pros
Team oriented, and results driven
The work was o.k. but the travel was a little difficult.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 March 2017
Very Difficult to advance to a supervisor position.
Management hard to get a hold of. A Very restricting place to work.
I did like the fact I was in loss prevention which I have been doing for a very long time.
Pros
wage was good.
Cons
No advancement
Poor leadership and management team (Calgary Airport Security)
Security screening (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
While GardaWorld might be less than ideal company to work for overall, the front-line management team at the Calgary airport is absolutely the worst! The hardest part of the job is dealing with the amount of politics, backstabbing, and the fear based environment. Throwing people under the bus is a norm because management is full of immature and incompetent pansies who always look for a scapegoat instead of addressing their own errors. They surround themselves with "yes" people and get rid of everyone that have any sense of integrity. As a result, resentment builds up among the hard working staff members who see the squawkers and "yes people" get ahead without merit or get off when they clearly screwed up. The pay is not competitive with market rates and they expect staff to stay late, not have washroom breaks, or have any work/life balance. Beware and Stay away!!!
Pros
None to speak of.
Cons
Incompetent management team who constantly throw people under the bus, catty environment filled with drama, instilled culture of "trust no one"
work place is v v good
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  brampton toronto mississaqua16 March 2017
I feel garda is great and best company to srve for security guard.they offer better pay. Medical benefit.team work.management is very good look after their employee well.supervisor always co operative to guard. Extend guide line to perform duty.garda sites are very nice. They have maximum maal. Petrolling guard also safe. Garda alwsys provide site near to guard home if possible. There is mo threat or violence at work place. People all the wsy praises garda company gor good culture. Good psy structures. Good benefits. I feel it is good to get in to garda world
Fear based environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 March 2017
If you enjoy walking on eggshells and looking over your shoulder everyday coupled with the real risk of an employee going on a shooting spree while you have nothing to defend yourself with - then this is the company for you. From the CEO on down it is a 'blame everyone else" way of doing business. Lot's of poison in their "group-think" leadership team of Yes Men. Unless you plan to join through the union I would stay away. They treat their admin team terribly.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9