Garda Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable career
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with then many cultural people at the airport. The passengers and overall work experience is something I will always remember. The fast pace and work load was exceptional. If I could work in that type of environment again, I would be happy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
inexperienced management
Good Place
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2015
Good place to work at International Airport. Everyday interact with hundreds of new people from different part of the world, some of them happy, said, crying, enjoying, nervous.

Management is not good. They don't listen there employees and they don't care for the employee's.

Zero job security. any time, any day, even if working 20 years they don't care.
Pros
Nice Place
Cons
No Job Security
Providing a safe work and travel experience
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 29, 2015
Process passengers and their luggage
Ensure the safety of the traveling public
Management are present on the work floor daily
Co-workers are hard working
The hours you start at is the hardest part of the job
Its enjoyable to know that you have provided an essential service to the traveling and non traveling public
Pros
Good pay and beneifits
Cons
Early mornings
Life experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2015
most days are typical with remotes site work. Security staff learn as they go on the job. The management and coworker are always busy doing some sort of task. the hardest part of the job is being thrown into something you do not know about or what to do.
New different experience for me, learned many things.
Customer Service/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Learned the policies and statements to e a security guard and get a very confident and responsable doind the daily duties, focused in the security and respectfuly environment
Cons
8 to t10
management is horrible
rather not say (Current Employee) –  Rather not sayJanuary 19, 2016
When I first started last year it was horrible the first 3 hours HR started off saying just sign the papers I will explain to after keep in mind these are legal papers I'm going to read it then proceeded to try to rush me.

I didn't have a choice to come to this company it was pretty much you transfer or you don't have a job and with the economy I did what I had to just to find out they gave me decrease and didn't get inform of anything including my payday changes and all HR had to say was we look out for our staff and this was at Christmas so double payments had to take place cause of no notice. So when I needed help my site manager said just to call and she would come and help me so I needed help with reading my paystub or even explain it a year later nothing a few months ago I lost my login I sent a email and still haven't gotten anything.

I had 2 deaths in my family and I ended up in the hospital for almost a month with doctors notes and photos ever since then she has been rude to me and giving me attitude and yet she turns around and says don't give me attitude I don't want to fight with you and I have witnesses listening to her saying this and I am being calm. The day I had a check up she had a security guard her friend text me not to return to site and to go to head office so they can fire me after my doctor's appointment. The text didn't come from her but came from a security guard to me that is shady way of running a business and staff.

She will not return my calls or emails now for weeks on end until a day before she sends anyone unless I get my supervisor
  more... in the office I work for to send the email and she hears back right away and has to tell me what is going.

The mobile is horrible everyone should get into the other lane this morning one was driving behind me then cut me off just to catch up to the person I had to drive 110 km on yellow head to get the vehicle number and I call in to report him and all I get told we have GPS with a attitude and get hung up on.

Just all around the upper management is horrible. Lets say I have worked for better companies this would be the last company on earth I would work for
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Besides Hours everything is Horrible
TFWs excel
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 5, 2015
if youre quiet and keep your head down and do as little work as possible, you will get ahead, new canadians get promoted all the time while real workers who stand up for something, make waves or get politically sniped out are fired all the time when they are perfectly good employees, seen it happen, had it happen and this is the truth.
Pros
easy job to learn, easy job to do
Cons
office politics and cut throat coworkers
Really wide coverage so u can work at different places
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  DowntownMay 18, 2015
good place to work at
supervisors are great and friendly
co-workers are ok
its always good to know your location and surroundings

sometimes night shift gets too tiring
Pros
easy going
Cons
long hours, sometimes you dont get posted to the place of your liking/ have to deal with moody people sometimes
Fun workplace with great people
Armed Guard Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2013
Co-workers are really nice and management is very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling and meeting new people. It is not a regular 9 to 5 job; you have a specific start time but due to many factors such as traffic and weather condition you never know what time you will finish.
Pros
great salary
Cons
cheap company with very bad manager
security guard (Former Employee) –  cnrl in fort mcmurrayDecember 27, 2014
I worked in the cnrl site in fort mcmurray and it is like a prison for garda employees. No benefits at all and lowest salary on the site and the manager is a old lady who rule like a queen. I cannot advice anybody to work for the company. even your uniform you pay for that with the company name. very very cheap company. when I leave in april I was very very happy to go away.
Pros
easy to get a job
Cons
manager is not a nice lady and company is very cheap
a way to make money and gain experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2015
I learned how to be prepared for anything and everything and not to bring home to work or take work home.

Hardest art of the job was doing work of a suervisor but not seen as a supervisor or treated as one or paid as one.

The most enjoyable part was meeting people and making connections.
Pros
training is free
Cons
not a lot of work
Poor and inflexible management
Security Screener (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 16, 2014
Garda's airport division has some great benefits such as high salary, good working conditions and benefits but lacks any proper management of employees.
Pros
paid lunch hour, benefits, salary
Cons
odd hours, no overtime, no premium wages for overnight
screening officer
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  calgaryJanuary 12, 2013
Good benefits, management could be worse, the pay is ok I wish it was better, everything is seniority based ex. Shift bids...vac bids...the hours are horrible and there are a lot of rotten apples who are still employed because of the union.
Pros
benefits, lots of ot you can sign up for
Cons
lots of rude older women on the am shift....watch out!!!
Enjoyable experience with great passenger interaction
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 25, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of screening passengers and their belongings. I have learnt many valuable skills such as excellent customer service and extreme attention to detail. I enjoy my job however the management team is quite weak. I enjoy the interaction with my co-workers as what we do is a team effort. The hardest part of my is working very early hours of the day and still being completley aware of the surroundings. With Security you must be vigilant at all times. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is meeting a wide variety people on a daily basis. You never know who you will run into.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
early hours
Dynamic job, customer response attitude
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 29, 2015
- Dynamic job, customer response attitude
- how to deal with customers
- equal co-workers
- overnight work
- Dynamic job, it keeps you in Physical shape
Pros
Cons
- working overnight
Challenging and growing experience
Security Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of screening passengers and their belongings. Most days can be consistent and productive however some can be challenging. My experience at Garda has taught me how to be patient, resilient and poise. The hardest part would be to deal with unconventional situations that required my attention in various aspects. However, I had enjoyed the discipline it has instructed upon me. Management and co-workers were a part of a close team dynamic.
Garda
Gardien de sécurité (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCApril 17, 2013
Pretty neat job as security guard, low risk
however management was poor
Pros
different contract
Cons
long hours, night, variable schedule
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Detention Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 11, 2013
Every day is different and you need to be awake and aware at all times.
I honed my skills of thinking on my feet and problem solving.
Management is opened to staff input and comments.
My co-workers are as culturally diverse as the clients we serve.
Hardest part of the job is the scattered hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you get to help people solve their challenges.
Pros
diversity of tasks performed daily and pride in helping people
Cons
last minute schedule changes, not being able to plan home life
Professional, Well Organized
Security (Current Employee) –  Security, CONovember 12, 2014
A typical day at work with Garda Security is well managed and organized, through security I have learned how to be more responsible and aware of my surroundings at all time. I have learned to solve tricky situations in wise manners.
Pros
hour breaks
GOOD AND EXCELLENT WORKER
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2013
I WAS ASSISTANT-MANAGER AT 7-ELEVEN FOR ELEVEN YEARS IN OTTAWA,ONTARIO FROM DEC.1998 TO DEC.2009.
THE REASON I LEFT WAS THE 7-ELEVEN COMPANY MOVED
OUT FROM OTTAWA THEN IN OCT.2011 I JOINED GARDA SECURITY COMPANY.NOW I HAVE MOVED TO EDMONTON
FOR OPPORTUNITY.I HAVE ALBERTA SECURITY LICENSE.
EVERYDAY WAS FUN TO WORK AS SECURITY,LEARNED THE
LAWS,GOOD MANAGEMENT,CO-WORKERS SOME WERE NICE,
WHEN AFTER 12 HOURS YOUR RELIEVE DOES NOT SHOWS UP,WHEN I TRAINED A NEW EMPLOYEE.
Pros
break for lunch
Cons
not enough hours and minimum wage