Garda

Garda Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Really wide coverage so u can work at different places
Security Guard (Current Employee), DowntownMay 18, 2015
Pros: easy going
Cons: long hours, sometimes you dont get posted to the place of your liking/ have to deal with moody people sometimes
good place to work at
supervisors are great and friendly
co-workers are ok
its always good to know your location and surroundings

sometimes night shift gets too tiring
Dynamic job, customer response attitude
Security Agent (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 29, 2015
Pros: -
Cons: - working overnight
- Dynamic job, customer response attitude
- how to deal with customers
- equal co-workers
- overnight work
- Dynamic job, it keeps you in Physical shape
A great entry level job.
Security Guard Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2015
Pros: study time, pychology of people, and great places to work from
Cons: no overtime (or vary rarely and read fine print), ignorant people, obstanence, and inflexablities in all aspects of things.
Typical day for a site dispatcher.
1) arrive 15 minutes early for insanity while you overview the previous shift and sign in.
2) 1 hour 45 minutes covering short comings in previous shifts, scheduling problems with staff, and listening to complaints from tenants, co-workers, supervisor, and security staff.
3) Dependent on the previous time block you could spend anywhere from an hour to 8 hours dealing with issues arisen.
4) System checks; usually take about 15 minutes for experienced personnel, unless there are work projects than it could take up to 2 hours.
5) Cleaning the office for an hour. Other shifts were obviously not very tidy.
6) Recording everything said on the radio, recording and dispatching for contractors and cleaning staff, recording and controlling emergency systems and building equipment, recording any video of interest, and monitoring all sensors in sky rise for issues to be recorded and dealt with prior to building opening. (For 12 hours)
7) Receiving and investigating complaints about security staff. Taking action when necessary. (about 15 minutes to 4 hours)
8) Staffing for holes in security teams while they occur. (0 minutes to 6 hours)
9) Reading all Incidents, updating when required. (1 hour)
10) filing (15 minutes to 6 hours)
11) Dealing with at least on problem per shift. Emergency response, theft, something other. (2 hours)
12) prep for 15 minutes of crazy for relief shift (1 hour)

What I learned;
I learned what to be flexible and deal with customer problems efficiently. I learned that I was needed in the role I was in. I learned how to recognize – more... and develop people in the roles they needed to preform. Lastly I learned I would have rather been more active than I was but, still in a lead role.

In management you are taught it is better to wait and see rather than take active steps to reduce chances for bad things to occur. It has to do with budgeting. Risk management is not seen as of any import to most companies except as an afterthought. This is why they are assigned the smallest budget to work from. It also is associated with Health and safety but, somehow seen as a different thing entirely (marketing). It was disappointing how seeing how the machine runs and not people ensuring my hands stay tied. Even more disappointing was being told, "don't rock the boat". Sad thing to tell someone taught to report thing they see that is wrong or could be improved.

Co-workers
Good people but, fit in three worker types. The first is the star. A star knows everything they need to do and what you need to do to help. Hey preform well but, seldom allow help from outside because they set the bar higher than the industry has. They are very hard to keep happy and even harder to satisfy. They commonly have problems with all other types of workers and are comfortable were they are at work. They all claim they want to continue in the field or improve themselves in new fields. Most of them achieve that if they don't stay in the industry long. Like themselves, they seek improvement of everyone else, but are unwilling to assist in that because of worker type two.

Type 2 worker is the reason movies, TV, and every other type of media sees Security as dumb, not willing to work, and foolish. They don't care about work at all but, pretend to. Often they show up late, don't do the job, and don't listen or respond to concerns. Worst of all the scoff at any evidence you accumulate and don't take you seriously until you threaten to fire them. When that occurs they break down in front of others to ensure no actions can be done. Most of these people don't understand even basic instruction, making them impossible to work with. Unfortunately at least 1 to half of the crew fits in this category. After long exposure to these people cycling in and out of the revolving hiring door, you make a type 3 from a type 1.

Type 3 is a type one with no motivation to do more than what is required at best. At worst they see how the Type two's can get away with murder at work and decide that some or all of these traits make sense to incorporate into work habits. Unlike Type 2 they are reasonable and will do the bare minimum to keep employment. They scoff at anyone who still feels they can make a difference. Sometimes they even make it into a pool to bet on or a game to see how long a Type 1 will last.

The hardest part of this job
It has to be marketing and people management. Most would say conflict resolution or enforcement but, I found in most cases in the security industry balancing what you are allowed to do, with how training is supposed to look like when finished made us look more and more like idiots. It was more than a full time job dealing with Type 2 and 3 workers add the Management attitude, and up hill budgeting opportunities and you have the wall from The Hero of Haarlem the difference is the wall constantly has new holes to fill and always more developing. I always felt I could not ever do enough but I keep trying because I'm not the type to give in or give up.

Most enjoyable part of the job.
It has to be the time to learn. I read thousands of publications, studied from text books of interest in many fields far outside security. The things I am most interested in are civil engineering, architecture, rocket science, and medicine. I'm sure I could preform a few basic task in those fields if I wanted, but it would not be legal for me to do so. I don't claim any certification in any of those fields and i obey the laws that guide them because I'm a security geek.

I also enjoyed meeting professionals from all walks of life. Each time I learned a little bit of what it's like to live in their lives and what they think of unimportant things in my perception. i.e. light timing programing; hint the light switch over rides this 100 percent of the time.

I digress, thank you for the opportunity to chat on my most experience field, Risk Management. I hope it was enlightening for those who never get to experience it from the inside. – less
Security Manager
Security Officer and Manager (Former Employee), Calgary ABFebruary 8, 2015
A typical day at work is being a leader. Managing Staff. Leading by example. I believe some people need guidance.

Every job needs a leader.
Productive and fun
Cruise Screener (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: paid breaks
 Monitor bags for unwanted/dangerous items through x-ray machines, monitor passengers who go through the metal detector.
 Check tickets of passengers and identification of cruise workers
 Make sure passengers feel welcomed
FUN WORK PLACE
AGENT DE SECURITÉ (Current Employee), MONTRÉALFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 24/24
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK I LEANED MANY THINGS WITH MY HEADMASTER I ADDED MORE EXPERIENCES ABOUT SECURITY
I HAVE LEANED TO WORK WITH TEAM TO BE SOCIABLE
TFWs excel
Security Guard (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: easy job to learn, easy job to do
Cons: office politics and cut throat coworkers
if youre quiet and keep your head down and do as little work as possible, you will get ahead, new canadians get promoted all the time while real workers who stand up for something, make waves or get politically sniped out are fired all the time when they are perfectly good employees, seen it happen, had it happen and this is the truth.
cheap company with very bad manager
security guard (Former Employee), cnrl in fort mcmurrayDecember 27, 2014
Pros: easy to get a job
Cons: manager is not a nice lady and company is very cheap
I worked in the cnrl site in fort mcmurray and it is like a prison for garda employees. No benefits at all and lowest salary on the site and the manager is a old lady who rule like a queen. I cannot advice anybody to work for the company. even your uniform you pay for that with the company name. very very cheap company. when I leave in april I was very very happy to go away.
hit or miss situation
Office Tower Security Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2014
Cons: week end shift are 12 hrs long
you could end up working somewhere it is very stressful and low pay. So much responsibilities and getting paid a little. Some workers are ok and nice but some are just very unworkable people. that is why either you end up in a good site or not because if u request for transfer it will take you ages for them to look up on your request
Professional, Well Organized
Security (Current Employee), Security, CONovember 12, 2014
Pros: hour breaks
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work with Garda Security is well managed and organized, through security I have learned how to be more responsible and aware of my surroundings at all time. I have learned to solve tricky situations in wise manners.
stable work and tons o room to grow
Pre Boarding Screening Officer (Former Employee), toronto, ONOctober 8, 2014
Cons: laid off
amazing job. Great environment. High stress at times however manageable.
puncual, careful and keep the interest of employer over and above of mine.
I am already at the roll of Garda (Current Employee), I am already working with Garda at EdmontonSeptember 11, 2014
past hard training, and present site briefs makes work interesting.
listen and observe carefully still if doubt, clear it by asking to avoid mistake
to get the best output of available resources as desired of me.
be joyful, create team spirit, pass the instructions fully.
when one available and do not get the work schedule.
when the duty finished and get the pay regularly.
productive and fun workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2014
Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multi-task
Fun.Good salary.
Agent de sécurité (Former Employee), Sherbrooke, QCJuly 15, 2014
I worked one summer there and it was very good experience.
Might be interesting for people who willing working in this sphere.
Poor and inflexible management
Security Screener (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 16, 2014
Pros: paid lunch hour, benefits, salary
Cons: odd hours, no overtime, no premium wages for overnight
Garda's airport division has some great benefits such as high salary, good working conditions and benefits but lacks any proper management of employees.
Challenging and growing experience
Security Screening Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of screening passengers and their belongings. Most days can be consistent and productive however some can be challenging. My experience at Garda has taught me how to be patient, resilient and poise. The hardest part would be to deal with unconventional situations that required my attention in various aspects. However, I had enjoyed the discipline it has instructed upon me. Management and co-workers were a part of a close team dynamic.
Energetic.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCApril 12, 2014
Pros: flexible job environment
Cons: rough time when work outside
Totally an energetic one. they try to keep details in each every things. Could able to understand about the security/guard culture. And even though that was a temporary one monetary benefit was high.
Fun
Security Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 7, 2014
Worked alongside management and security contractors during procedural and physical security reformations, Monitored fire alarm panels and DVR’s
Garda
Security Agent (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2013
The reason I wish to leave, is because of the lack of organization.
I worked 5 twelve hour shifts in a show with two days off. Within those two days I was off, Garda called at 1am, and 3am about shift changes.
I had to wait 3 months before I could get two shirts to call my own, I have yet to get a stab proof vest.

Gloves, a duty belt, and boots were not provided, I had to use my own.
No pays have been consistent to date. I have been short of hours paid.

I did work with good people on site, and I was glad to put my skills to work.
we always have fun at work, sharing food by keeping focus on the job
Screening Officer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2013
A day at work, I always learned that job is well done when all workers are working together as a team. Considering the time given to do the job as a team, and each of us paying their part. No matter how harder a job could be but if everyone is working hard, that makes the job easy and enjoyable

1 2 3 4 5