Garda World Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Pay, Good Experience
Administrative Clerk/Medic Driver/Mobile Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 18, 2015
The hours are long and the work is demanding but you learn valuable work skills on the job and get paid a great salary that increases every year.
Pros
Good Pay, Great experience builder.
Cons
Advancement within the company can be tough.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North York, ONDecember 15, 2015
Staff all around was good to be with, but management need to work on there staff skills. Co-workers always made the day interesting and always had questions never scared to ask me. Hardest part of the job was trying to get everything done when new things would happen throughout the shift. The most enjoyable part was seeing that everyone from my staff to the tenants of building always said hi and were thankful of our hard work.
Productive and pay good attention
Security Guard / Customer Service - 7YRS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
productive and well manage can be relaxed at times and very busy at times,very multitasking with vegilentce and abservant
Pros
paid lunch and break
GardaWorld Securtiy
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2015
Decent company to work for.
-Typical Day includes briefing at shift change, reviewing site emails, monitoring cameras, floor by floor patrols, updating notebook, writing reports, auditing equipment on night shifts, generating shift pass on reports, briefing at shift change again.
-Management: Haven't met a manager yet, hear that mine is tricky to get a hold of and only shows up to my site when its an emergency.
-Colleagues are easy to get along with, but complacent. They have been at the site TOO LONG WITHOUT ANY PAY INCREASES. They don't learn anything new about the job, the just come in, do their work and go home. It feels like nobody around here cares anymore. Its sad to be honest.
-Hardest part of my job: deciding what meal to eat, because the building itself runs smoothly, people get along with security, and the facilities guys are overall just really good at what they do.
-The most enjoyable part of the job: Watching TV because patrols take minutes and otherwise you fall asleep.
Pros
Free meals occasionally
Cons
Boredom and NO PAY INCREASES EVER
Great place to get started with security
Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 9, 2015
So far, I've learned a lot with this company. The online course program with GardaWorld's Career Development Centre is a good tool to keep occupied during free time, and very informative. I enjoy the working environment at my current site. It's great to be part of a team where everyone looks out for each other. I've also learned to navigate trough CCTV and scheduling computer programs. I'm very thankful for the experience gained as a casual guard first, at various types of sites. I've greatly enjoyed working many of them, and am thankful for my experience obtained at each post.
Productive Enviorment
Corporate Security Guard (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONDecember 8, 2015
It was a nice experience as they have standard protocols and guidelines that actually do prevent escalated situations.
Busiest location, experienced with loss prevention tactics
security officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2015
As as security and working with Loss prevention individuals, prevented losses through proper temperature of the load, securing the loads through load bars, prevention of theft by fixing seals, PPE checks of individuals for safety.
nice benefits
agent de securite (Former Employee) –  on call there for i was everywhereDecember 3, 2015
the company did not seem to care about my availabilities. they speak down on young people as if to say seniority makes you smarter. the work was never a problem, the adaministration and communication from agent to supervisor was very poor.
Pros
i got to work in many different places.
Cons
no respect
Life experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2015
most days are typical with remotes site work. Security staff learn as they go on the job. The management and coworker are always busy doing some sort of task. the hardest part of the job is being thrown into something you do not know about or what to do.
Excellent Job; However
Pre-Board Security Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2015
This job is phenomenal! However the politics and drama that other co-workers can bring to the work environment can be a bit stressful at times. Also the constant manipulation of your work hours and schedule can be very frustrating especially when trying to plan for your personal life outside of the workplace!

I do enjoy meeting new people and working with a variety of ages and cultures. Everyday is a learning experience and an opportunity for growth! The work environment is fun and fast paced.

Although, it can be stressful when you have someone standing right over your shoulder watching everything that you do. Looking for your first mistake so they can write you up and send you for re-training. That can be annoying but it is for the safety of the traveling public, so it is understood. I do feel however, that correctional advisement on the spot should be given instead of a write up and re-training, depending on the situation.

In my 2 years on the job, this has been the most fun roller coaster, if you want to go for the ride of life, this is the job for you.
Pros
Employee appreciate Days in the summer months
Cons
Random changes to your work hours and schedule, doesn't really function well with planning your personal life, example; trying to go back to school
pros and cons
SCREENING POINT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros:

good workers
good environment
good experience with firearms

Cons:

low pay
high turnover
contract based
management is unbalanced
pros and cons
MANAGER OF OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros:

good workers
good environment
good experience with firearms

Cons:

low pay
high turnover
contract based
management is unbalanced
Great employees an fun job
Former Night Trainor/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 21, 2015
A typical day is started by loading out truck then leaving the office with my partner. Every stop and night are different based on what we pick up and delivery to our stop. Plus it based on the location and the public when we arrive.
I have learned how to be more Patient with people. We get some people who like to make comments to us or ask for money to see our reaction. We also like to ask how much we carry in the truck plus if we have more Employees hiding out in the back of the truck.
I think our Management could do a better job with their communication with us. Sometime we don't find things from our management till after the fact. Hardest part of the job was getting us to working nights when I first started. The most enjoyable part of the job are my fellow co-workers and meeting some nice people working in the banks.
Pros
pay, co-workers, we are incharge once we leave the office
Cons
contract work
fun place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 13, 2015
working as a security guard was extremely interesting and challenging. protecting people and ensuring their security was a great adventure. management was very supporting.
one of the biggest companies in the security industry
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
interaction with clients and customers all the time. one of the biggest security companies in Canada but but a low in income one. Gained a lot of security experience from GardaWorld
Providing a safe work and travel experience
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 29, 2015
Process passengers and their luggage
Ensure the safety of the traveling public
Management are present on the work floor daily
Co-workers are hard working
The hours you start at is the hardest part of the job
Its enjoyable to know that you have provided an essential service to the traveling and non traveling public
Pros
Good pay and beneifits
Cons
Early mornings
fun to work there but low pay and stressful daily
Special Services Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
I had fun working for Gardaworld they provided me with many opportunities the managers were not the greatest and there were many scheduling issues at hand. there were many good co workers but also many who were no good and needed supervision many of the guards report on the other guards behind their back.
Pros
sometimes receive free items and extra pay
Cons
long hours and bad guards
Progressive and Exciting Work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Caledon, ONOctober 9, 2015
Garda World Protective Services Provides you with the opportunity get a start and gain experience in the industry. Garda World allows an equal opportunity to grow in the company. The management does a good job of making you feel important and overall provide job satisfaction. Largest Security company in North America so the job opportunities are exceedingly more then any other company in the industry. Security work is fulfilling, so if you desire a progressive and exciting career I would choose Garda World as a great platform company.
Pros
equal opportunity
Cons
shift work and sometimes odd hours
Great pay, bad management
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 7, 2015
I enjoyed the first few years working as a screening officer at Winnipeg International Airport. Throughout the years issues started to arise, got hired as a full time employee but didn't get full time for 2 years. On top of that there seemed to be layoffs and reduced hours every year, the first year I was "ok" and understanding of that but by year 3 and moving up in seniority getting reduced to 16 hours a week was not acceptable and was a total waste of time to have to work 4 hour shifts. Made a lot of friends and most coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There was some ways to get promoted within although it normally went right to there head when they got it. My biggest gripe was the fact that breaks were dictated at times convenient to them. For example if you work an 8 hour day your first break would come after your first hour of work. Second break comes at the 3rd hour mark and your last break would happen at the 5th hour mark. I would probably have rated them higher if I felt like the company cared about there employees. To this day I'm sure the operations manager never knew my name.
Pros
Wage, benefits, easy to get days off for personal reasons
Cons
Management, layoffs/reduced hours, dictated breaks
Negative work environment
CIT (Current Employee) –  LondonSeptember 29, 2015
If just applying there would be no chance at full-time due to no jobs being created only jobs cut. Management has superior mentality and therefore they run the operation as demeaning and volatile as possible. Casual hours are scarce and if you complain your hours are limited even more. Easy job however prepare to face criticism and intimidation on a daily basis from supervisors. This branch is mainly run by past G4S employees so also review their past armoured division before applying, would not recommend this job if looking for police or emergency services future as they have no connection or relation.
Pros
Pay

2.9