Garda World Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun workplace
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 23, 2016
I have always became an integral part of a team oriented organization where I can assist in achieving dynamic results for the company and personal professional growth.
There is no scope for growth at the present employer
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2016
I had to train myself independently as the company does not provide training for floaters. There are also no benefits for part timers in the company.
Good work culture
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts and I work a two week on two week off rotation making it the hardest part of the job as I am away from family. Most enjoyable part is being around people and meeting people from different backgrounds. I have a very good supervisor and manager who make work life an enjoyable place to be in.
Pros
lovely working environment, good management
Cons
long hours, 12 hours shifts, being away from home for 2weeks out of the month
Typical private security company
Floater (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2016
No room for advancement financially. Contract security quality is largely site dependent and not really a company issue. Shifts are cancelled often and for those without a permanent site it is often hard to get your 40 hour work week. Zero support from operations, calls to payroll and benefits go to voicemail and are not returned. This is unfortunately typical, Gardaworld is no worse than any other larger security firm.
Cons
Not enough work, unstable employment.
Great workers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
Working overnight was awesome, I surely enjoyed it. the hardest part was wondering what time you are going to leave, they dont tell you what time your expected to be there until. Co workers were great, except when they are late for their shift then its difficult, because you are so ready to get home and get some sleep.
Pros
Workers made it easier to work with
Cons
Hours werent always promised
Enjoyable career
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with then many cultural people at the airport. The passengers and overall work experience is something I will always remember. The fast pace and work load was exceptional. If I could work in that type of environment again, I would be happy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
inexperienced management
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
days were quite but productive, I have learned more observational and people skills. Management is precise and friendly, what I enjoy is a day with no incidents.
Productive and easy going
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  South Porcupine, ONMarch 11, 2016
LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY. Ordered & Clean environment. Although the pay could be better for the amount we have to do during any given shift.
Benefit of learning while working in corporate culture.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The most important experience that one gains while working as Security Officer is, that one learns to deal with people from different walks of life and cultures. something that can help every individual to learn to communicate and improve one's man management skills.
Pros
One learns to be a team player.
Cons
Learn to adapt to rotations.
Supervisors are all talk
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 10, 2016
supervisors have no communications skills, when you do finally speak with them about issues they act big and bad and say they will take care of issues and then nothing happens
Pros
benefits due to union
Cons
union fees, idiot supervisors
productive work experience
Mobile Operative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 8, 2016
On a typical day on the job, every operative is required to arrive on time for their scheduled shift work and obtain all the necessary work related equipment. Memo book documentations, Reports and key audit forms must be organized and update to date. It is required to patrol buildings on the behalf the clients

I have learned to focus on the areas during a patrol that must be attended to; such as, fire panels, electrical rooms, mag lock, alarm panels etc.

Dealing with Management can be difficult due to the fact they are busy handling cooperate affairs but it is very important to remain patient and be vocal on an issue concerning to personal matters.

The hardest part of the job is the overwhelming responsibility tasked to every operative while performing their duties. In order to stay on top of the work-load it is necessary to be organized while working efficiently..

The enjoyable parts of the job is learning the scope of the security business and using all of that knowledge for future endeavors.
Pros
work opportunites
Cons
Pay rate
Productive and strong teamwork ethics
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson Airport YYZMarch 6, 2016
This place will help develop your skill sets efficiently and successfully. Will also you to experience all aspects of Human Resources.
Pros
Great teamwork, positive people, positive environment
Cons
Salary does not reflect general market and its very operational orientated
Dispatch was nice
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 2, 2016
Paid well, Interacted with others, Team player, adapt to different types of jobs, did admin services as well, created cards for new employees
Productive and professional
Pre-Boarding Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work is 4-8am for myself. My shift normally goes by pretty fast as a lot of people like to travel early in the morning. I learned a lot of new things from this job. I learned how to identify certain objects in passengers bags on the x-ray machines, how to conduct pat downs and search bags to look for non-permitted items or prohibited items. The management has always been professional and reasonable and my co-workers are easy going and great to work with.
The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with unruly passengers and the high stress part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job would be able to meet and talk to people from all over the world.
Pre- Board Screening Officer Calgary
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
I AM NOT A FORMER EMPLOYEE
I applied as a Pre-Board Screening Officer last January 2016 for the very first time. January 18 when I received an email to participate in a multi-level testing event for the position of Pre Board Screening Officer at the Calgary International Airport.It was confirmed to have the multi-level test for GardaWorld's Testing Event on Friday January 22nd, 2016 at the Executive Boardroom located in the Airport Corporate Centre by the Human Resources Coordinator. I was very excited. I review a lot especially the image recognition
There are three (3) stages of testing will occur, candidates must be successful in each stage in order to move forward to the next stage. If I am not mistaken the people who take the test on that day was almost 60. Object Recognition Test for 45 Mins- I passed and so with other 5 applicants ONLY. 4 applicants passed including me for the English Reading Written & Comprehension tests (1 1/2 hr ) then a Brief Consultation (5-10 mins) and they scheduled me for another " interview" or "orientation" on the 26th of January 2016. I was very excited. After almost 2 weeks they called me that I am not the lucky candidate and I can RE-APPLY AFTER 6 MONTHS. I was very disappointed. I am asking what is the reason why the cannot hire me. Luckily they NEVER ANSWER MY QUESTION. This is not fair.
I work with a bunch of great people
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABFebruary 22, 2016
The hours are long but they gave us good brake. I enjoyed working in Edmonton at Garda, I would recommend that Airport Screening Staff.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
long work hours
Terrible Place To Work
Regional Technician - Cash Services Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 22, 2016
This is the first place that I have ever worked where the co-workers hate being there. I have just started working there and every employee that I have made contact with has indicated their hate for the company and has encouraged me to find another job! I have been told, and it is probably true, that they fire people at will with no real justifications. Probably to make their monthly cash flow look good to the owners of this company.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poisoned work culture
Great experience as a security guard
Site Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 19, 2016
You learn how to have excellent communication skills. Also helps you learn to think fast and act fast depending on certain situations. You gain a lot of experience working as a security guard.
na
Director of Talent Ontario and Western Canada (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
i would not like to write a review as it is not relevant to a job search.. There for i would not like to fill this portion out.
Poor Management & Staff Morale
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
For a company as large as GardaWorld, the career advancement opportunities are almost endless and employee training & uniforms are free of charge. But it does come at some price for the Toronto branch. The internal structure is very disorganized and has poor management skills. The working environment is very negative and has an 'every person for themselves' mentality. Good guards go unrewarded, and bad ones remain employed. There is poor communication between departments, management, and field staff. Workplace harassment is abundant and many senior staff turn a blind eye. Most guards are uneducated in basic security procedures and morale is low. Hopefully, internal audits can turn things around. But not foreseeable in the near future.
Pros
OT, growth opportunities, career advancement
Cons
Disorganized, Low Morale, Negative Working Environment

2.9