Garda World Employee Reviews in Canada

fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Supervisors are all talk
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 10, 2016
supervisors have no communications skills, when you do finally speak with them about issues they act big and bad and say they will take care of issues and then nothing happens
Pros
benefits due to union
Cons
union fees, idiot supervisors
GardaWorld Securtiy
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2015
Decent company to work for.
-Typical Day includes briefing at shift change, reviewing site emails, monitoring cameras, floor by floor patrols, updating notebook, writing reports, auditing equipment on night shifts, generating shift pass on reports, briefing at shift change again.
-Management: Haven't met a manager yet, hear that mine is tricky to get a hold of and only shows up to my site when its an emergency.
-Colleagues are easy to get along with, but complacent. They have been at the site TOO LONG WITHOUT ANY PAY INCREASES. They don't learn anything new about the job, the just come in, do their work and go home. It feels like nobody around here cares anymore. Its sad to be honest.
-Hardest part of my job: deciding what meal to eat, because the building itself runs smoothly, people get along with security, and the facilities guys are overall just really good at what they do.
-The most enjoyable part of the job: Watching TV because patrols take minutes and otherwise you fall asleep.
Pros
Free meals occasionally
Cons
Boredom and NO PAY INCREASES EVER
Pre- Board Screening Officer Calgary
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
I AM NOT A FORMER EMPLOYEE
I applied as a Pre-Board Screening Officer last January 2016 for the very first time. January 18 when I received an email to participate in a multi-level testing event for the position of Pre Board Screening Officer at the Calgary International Airport.It was confirmed to have the multi-level test for GardaWorld's Testing Event on Friday January 22nd, 2016 at the Executive Boardroom located in the Airport Corporate Centre by the Human Resources Coordinator. I was very excited. I review a lot especially the image recognition
There are three (3) stages of testing will occur, candidates must be successful in each stage in order to move forward to the next stage. If I am not mistaken the people who take the test on that day was almost 60. Object Recognition Test for 45 Mins- I passed and so with other 5 applicants ONLY. 4 applicants passed including me for the English Reading Written & Comprehension tests (1 1/2 hr ) then a Brief Consultation (5-10 mins) and they scheduled me for another " interview" or "orientation" on the 26th of January 2016. I was very excited. After almost 2 weeks they called me that I am not the lucky candidate and I can RE-APPLY AFTER 6 MONTHS. I was very disappointed. I am asking what is the reason why the cannot hire me. Luckily they NEVER ANSWER MY QUESTION. This is not fair.
Great pay, bad management
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 7, 2015
I enjoyed the first few years working as a screening officer at Winnipeg International Airport. Throughout the years issues started to arise, got hired as a full time employee but didn't get full time for 2 years. On top of that there seemed to be layoffs and reduced hours every year, the first year I was "ok" and understanding of that but by year 3 and moving up in seniority getting reduced to 16 hours a week was not acceptable and was a total waste of time to have to work 4 hour shifts. Made a lot of friends and most coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There was some ways to get promoted within although it normally went right to there head when they got it. My biggest gripe was the fact that breaks were dictated at times convenient to them. For example if you work an 8 hour day your first break would come after your first hour of work. Second break comes at the 3rd hour mark and your last break would happen at the 5th hour mark. I would probably have rated them higher if I felt like the company cared about there employees. To this day I'm sure the operations manager never knew my name.
Pros
Wage, benefits, easy to get days off for personal reasons
Cons
Management, layoffs/reduced hours, dictated breaks
Great employees an fun job
Former Night Trainor/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 21, 2015
A typical day is started by loading out truck then leaving the office with my partner. Every stop and night are different based on what we pick up and delivery to our stop. Plus it based on the location and the public when we arrive.
I have learned how to be more Patient with people. We get some people who like to make comments to us or ask for money to see our reaction. We also like to ask how much we carry in the truck plus if we have more Employees hiding out in the back of the truck.
I think our Management could do a better job with their communication with us. Sometime we don't find things from our management till after the fact. Hardest part of the job was getting us to working nights when I first started. The most enjoyable part of the job are my fellow co-workers and meeting some nice people working in the banks.
Pros
pay, co-workers, we are incharge once we leave the office
Cons
contract work
Productive and strong teamwork ethics
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson Airport YYZMarch 6, 2016
This place will help develop your skill sets efficiently and successfully. Will also you to experience all aspects of Human Resources.
Pros
Great teamwork, positive people, positive environment
Cons
Salary does not reflect general market and its very operational orientated
Great place to get started with security
Physical Security (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 9, 2015
So far, I've learned a lot with this company. The online course program with GardaWorld's Career Development Centre is a good tool to keep occupied during free time, and very informative. I enjoy the working environment at my current site. It's great to be part of a team where everyone looks out for each other. I've also learned to navigate trough CCTV and scheduling computer programs. I'm very thankful for the experience gained as a casual guard first, at various types of sites. I've greatly enjoyed working many of them, and am thankful for my experience obtained at each post.
There is no scope for growth at the present employer
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2016
I had to train myself independently as the company does not provide training for floaters. There are also no benefits for part timers in the company.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North York, ONDecember 15, 2015
Staff all around was good to be with, but management need to work on there staff skills. Co-workers always made the day interesting and always had questions never scared to ask me. Hardest part of the job was trying to get everything done when new things would happen throughout the shift. The most enjoyable part was seeing that everyone from my staff to the tenants of building always said hi and were thankful of our hard work.
Easy and fun place
Co-Op Education (Former Employee) –  Security, COFebruary 4, 2016
This company was a great company to do a co-op education with. Overall the employees and management was great but the time between shifts were a little much as they didn't give you much time to sleep
Pros
Went to various locations and met great people
Cons
Shift time scheduling
Fun family oriented place to work
Assistant Security Supervisor, Dixie Outlet Mall (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
I worked at ServiceMaster of Canada as a summer position.

I absolutely loved it there, everyone is friendly, caring and management is the best! always looking out for you and your best interests.
Pros
everything about the company
Cons
only summer possition
Great Pay, but drops you within 3 months of hire
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONApril 18, 2016
Garda world at gold corp is great to make some good money and have good work benefits but they do tend to terminate you before your 3 month period is over, expect to remain no more than 2 months with them.
Pros
Great Pay, average benefits, eat lunch at anytime
Cons
long hours of mostly nothing, contract gets terminated within the 3 month period so you won't receive the benefits, (recomended that you have another job lined up before your 3 month period has expired)
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
days were quite but productive, I have learned more observational and people skills. Management is precise and friendly, what I enjoy is a day with no incidents.
The best place to work for university students
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2016
*Calgary, Alberta location*

Awesome management, and if you prove yourself to be a trustworthy worker they will accomodate you in whatever way they can. This is the first workplace in the private security industry where I have felt like a person rather than an ID number, where I felt respected by management and that they wanted to do what they could to see me succeed.

After a summer of working full-time, where I had overtime opportunities and a 48 hour 4-on-4-off rotation, I went back to school. I worked out a new schedule with HR to work weekends and got plenty of calls for extra shifts. During the shift as long as nobody saw me I could read my textbook (uploaded to my cell phone), do research for my papers, etc. and supervisors never bothered me about it. Just make sure you tell them that you're in school beforehand and work it out with them when it's acceptable to do school work on the job.

Quit working in the service industry for just above minimum wage, students. Get your security licence and work for Garda. They are so good to students in my experience.
Pros
Lots of hours, competitive wages across all positions, accomodating
Cons
Same as all security work in Alberta, modest pay and can't leave the worksite for lunch so pack a backpack
Work night shift love to do alarms
Patrouilleur (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 13, 2016
As a patroller I get all sorts of calls. From breaking and entering to robberies to making sure that there is no one in the automatic bank teller that is sleeping or just hanging around. The nights are never the same. its fret.
Pros
Action
Cons
Not much advancement.
fun workplace
Security Guard/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Ensured the safety and security of client holdings, tenants and visitors to the assignment area in a professional, courteous manner.
Enforced site rules and regulations of establishments.
Worked effectively under pressure in a physically demanding environment with attention to detail, critical thinking with excellent job task planning and organization.
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 2, 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union

2.9