Garda World Employee Reviews

Good job stability but pay rate is the downside.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peel, ONAugust 19, 2016
Good company to work for. After seniority good chance to get fixed shift. At beginning have to do lots of rotations or nights.
Not much overtime available because they been hiring everyone with Security licences even though many of them not fluent in English. They focused on quantity but not quality.
Wages are not the best part. Can't make good money without doing OT.
Pros
Big company, good dispatcher, lots of sites, job stability, students can get suitable timings.
Cons
5+ years making almost same money when they started. Few supervisors do favoritism.
Challenging work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Day to day work is formulaic and involves doing the same things the same way, and often, but special occurrences will challenge your ability to adapt. Working with and around your team to best manage emergencies, irate members of the public, and safety and maintenance issues can make the job rewarding when done well.
Pros
Exercise, learning opportunities, crisis management experience
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts
Not great
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCAugust 3, 2016
Not much good to say. They make a lot of money but that never trickles down to staff.After they bought Intercon they removed any good policies that helped the officers.They are frustrating to deal with and seem to not care much about the people who are keeping them going. They compare poorly to other security companies.They have started hiring people at minimum wage which does not give a good impression. How good can these people be if they will work for that rate? It's embarrassing.
Pros
I am sure there is something but I can't think of anything currently.
Cons
Wage freeze, loss of discounts for shoes and other requirements, apathy toward employees.
Cool training, bad schedules
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 8, 2016
Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing.
Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day)
have to do night shifts before getting to days

Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run.
Paid over time is 1.5x
sometimes double time

most of the guys and gals are nice
Everything is rushed
no benefits for part timers and casuals
Cons
Long hours if you dont know your route
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 14, 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 15, 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
a great learning experience.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 8, 2016
I was hired by G4S cash solutions in 2008. in 2014 we found out that our cash division was acquired by Garda world. They made many negative changes that were originally instated by G4S. Our department adapted to all new procedures until they closed the department and moved it to Montreal, leaving us without a job.
Pros
4 day work weeks.
Cons
no management support
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.
Good Job but horrible management
Dispatcher/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 9, 2016
I liked working as a dispatcher, unfortunately, the management team was not professional. hours were long, pay wasn't the best, inhumane expectations, and responsibilities for the dispatchers and guards as well. basically every three months you get a new dispatcher and another one leaves.
Cons
bad management
Security Guard
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
I would go into work make sure that I am logged onto the computer under my profile. Ask the driver for their paper work and identification. I log in truck drivers loads make sure the sku and barcod matches what is in the computer. Call an employee inside loblaws to find out what door I send the truck drivers too. I also log drivers out when they are leaving and make sure there is nothing left on the truck. The co-workers that I work with are great group of people. hardest part of my job is when drivers are not coming at their appointment time and coming way early and expecting to get in right away. I love the hours that I work just would like to work mornings instead of afternoons. Management is really good and help out when ever it is required. I have learned how to log in drivers and computer skills
fun workplace
Security Guard/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Ensured the safety and security of client holdings, tenants and visitors to the assignment area in a professional, courteous manner.
Enforced site rules and regulations of establishments.
Worked effectively under pressure in a physically demanding environment with attention to detail, critical thinking with excellent job task planning and organization.
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 2, 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union
Great Job Oppurtunity
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2016
GardaWorld is an internationally successful and growing security company. Working for this company as Dispatch gave me experiences that help me deal with individuals on a day to day basis, beyond what an associate level in customer service could.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
High Management Turnover
Productive and easy to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
Typical security works, like patrols, CCTV reviews, audits of keys, access cards, fire panel response, etc.Communicating with building operators, tenants and other building staff for routine requests like lighting, temperature, plumbing, parking issues etc.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
Salary advancement has a limit or cap
Security guard
Special Service Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2016
Worst company ever. Stay away from this place at all costs. If you have an interest in law enforcement join government or in house security. Management is a joke and the get slightly higher wages than McDonalds LOL! As a guard they will treat you like a slave and screw you constantly with your pay.
Great Pay, but drops you within 3 months of hire
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONApril 18, 2016
Garda world at gold corp is great to make some good money and have good work benefits but they do tend to terminate you before your 3 month period is over, expect to remain no more than 2 months with them.
Pros
Great Pay, average benefits, eat lunch at anytime
Cons
long hours of mostly nothing, contract gets terminated within the 3 month period so you won't receive the benefits, (recomended that you have another job lined up before your 3 month period has expired)
Solid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2016
It pays well for a ridiculously easy job, especially if you end up on the night shift. Night shift itself I found to be nice and calm and relaxing, if a bit boring. The 4 days on/4 days off schedule was absolutely fantastic once you adjust, it gives you plenty of time for hobbies or out of town trips. You just can't do much on the days that you are working.

My main issue with the job was how utterly repetitive it got after the first couple of months, there wasn't much left to learn once you got the hang of it. And the lack of promotion options can make you feel a little trapped.

No problems with the management, either on site or from the headquarters. They were all very helpful and accommodating. And nearly all (nobody's perfect) my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

Overall I'd say it's a good temporary job to fill in a blank where you need to save some money.
Pros
decent pay, good work schedule, easy job/low stress
Cons
boring, no real advancement options, repititious
Always an opportunity for growth
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 18, 2016
always had something different to do - assisting with various departments in maintaining the operations of the branch.
never was a dull or boring day at work always learned something new about the company, my work, and myself in regards to my abilities and skill set.

2.9