Garda World Employee Reviews

Fast pace, energetic environment with opportunity to work with hundreds of different employees.
Screening point manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON25 November 2016
Ample opportunity to work with employees and directly deal with passengers on a daily basis. Upper management is very supportive and there is definitely a great working relationship and collaboration.
Pros
Great dealing with the public and ensuring passengers are safe.
Cons
Long hours and shift work from early mornings to late afternoon; no balance in schedule.
Stay away unless you're desperate
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 December 2016
Its all about the client. If you have a good relationship with them, with good hours. Then you'll never have to deal with Garda.

If you ever lose the site, prepare for a headache.
The company will pull dirty tricks to find ways around your seniority and lie to you about available work.

Management is a joke. If your lucky enough to get ahold of someone they wont take your call seriously and you'll get nowhere.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Bad hours, inconsitent work, bad managment.
Pros and cons
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  100 King Street West28 November 2016
A typical day at work involves at least a couple of patrols of certain areas and floors, some walking, and all over the span of 8 to 12 hours, depending on the shift, though we sometimes have to stay longer, which I do not mind.
The hardest part is that I do not get along at all with two of the people with whom I have to work, although I try not to let it show, albeit my coworkers at their exceptions seem to have seen through how I feel toward them, though I thankfully get along quite well with all the others, which makes it nice to work there, so long as I avoid those two.
The most enjoyable parts are the patrols, as I do like walking around.
Poor management, toxic environment
Cash messenger (Former Employee) –  Southern Alberta11 November 2016
Awful management, along side out of date equipment that they expect you to perform to there unrealistic standards. Even when you're working with what you got, your always in the wrong. Terrible support system, nobody from one city to the next gave a hoot about anyone just get home as fast as you can work and drive. ot all came down to the company making money, and not giving a hoot about the employee or the work we perform or dangers some have endured. The employee comes last. A clear sign of the companies and managers made employees arrogant and not care. Very disappointing
Pros
Good pay, above average benefits
Cons
No room for improvement or promotion, bad management, micro managing is a issue, very repetitive job tasks
Unprofessional, worst job experience
Pre Boarding Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  YYC Calgary19 October 2016
The worst place to work at. I have never dealt with such unprofessional, uneducated and verbally abusive managers in my entire life. I don't recommend this place to anyone. Senior Officers have attitude problems most likely passed on from their managers or they have been working there too long it's gotten into them. Managers contradict one another and the training is very poor. If you have an education, please avoid this place, I'm sure you can find something a lot better. I feel sorry for the employees that work there. The pay is not even that great either. Maybe for those who lack education it may seem alright but it ain't. People will come and go.
Pros
Cons
Uneducated, unprofessional management, supervisors.
Cool training, bad schedules
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing.
Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day)
have to do night shifts before getting to days

Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run.
Paid over time is 1.5x
sometimes double time

most of the guys and gals are nice
Everything is rushed
no benefits for part timers and casuals
Cons
Long hours if you dont know your route
Challenging work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Day to day work is formulaic and involves doing the same things the same way, and often, but special occurrences will challenge your ability to adapt. Working with and around your team to best manage emergencies, irate members of the public, and safety and maintenance issues can make the job rewarding when done well.
Pros
Exercise, learning opportunities, crisis management experience
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts
Tough to get regular hours, pay rates are poor, management group are busy and tough to get a response.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2016
With so many full and part time employees, it is hard to get anyone to know who you are. Often have difficulty getting a response when requesting needed items to do the job. Often have to correct the payroll department on pay and statements.
Cons
poor pay rates, long hours in some jobs
Good job stability but pay rate is the downside.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON19 August 2016
Good company to work for. After seniority good chance to get fixed shift. At beginning have to do lots of rotations or nights.
Not much overtime available because they been hiring everyone with Security licences even though many of them not fluent in English. They focused on quantity but not quality.
Wages are not the best part. Can't make good money without doing OT.
Pros
Big company, good dispatcher, lots of sites, job stability, students can get suitable timings.
Cons
5+ years making almost same money when they started. Few supervisors do favoritism.
Good Benefits
Security Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Patrolled commercial premise to detect signs of intrusion, answer alarms and investigate disturbances
Supervised and authorized personnel entrance and generated activity reports and standard occurrence reports
Conducted and reviewed health & safety inspections to mitigate risks that could affect daily operations
Fun site to work at with little pressure.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 November 2016
Good companies to work with. Got along very well with fellow employees. work day consists off helping clients and tenants
of building when they require assistance. Good working
conditions.
Pros
Excellent supervisors. Work twelve hour shifts, then four days off.
Cons
Sometimes the shifts can be exhausting but I feel I cope well.
a great learning experience.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 September 2016
I was hired by G4S cash solutions in 2008. in 2014 we found out that our cash division was acquired by Garda world. They made many negative changes that were originally instated by G4S. Our department adapted to all new procedures until they closed the department and moved it to Montreal, leaving us without a job.
Pros
4 day work weeks.
Cons
no management support
Hazardous to health, safety and well-being
VAULT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2016
Managment tends to avoid useful ideas to help increase company's income, unionized employees have the tendency to think they are entitles to everything and no discipline action required. Procedures are followed accurately, but nobody is willing to praise supervisors/managment for a long day.
Not great
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 August 2016
Not much good to say. They make a lot of money but that never trickles down to staff.After they bought Intercon they removed any good policies that helped the officers.They are frustrating to deal with and seem to not care much about the people who are keeping them going. They compare poorly to other security companies.They have started hiring people at minimum wage which does not give a good impression. How good can these people be if they will work for that rate? It's embarrassing.
Pros
I am sure there is something but I can't think of anything currently.
Cons
Wage freeze, loss of discounts for shoes and other requirements, apathy toward employees.
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 August 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
Good Job but horrible management
Dispatcher/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 September 2016
I liked working as a dispatcher, unfortunately, the management team was not professional. hours were long, pay wasn't the best, inhumane expectations, and responsibilities for the dispatchers and guards as well. basically every three months you get a new dispatcher and another one leaves.
Cons
bad management
Not a positive experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
Working for Garda is not job anyone should be proud about, it is time consuming, very tiring, stressful the only light in this darkness is that you gain aptitudes that would make you care about other people by watching over them and pay attention to details out of the site you are assigned to.
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON14 July 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Great Job Oppurtunity
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
GardaWorld is an internationally successful and growing security company. Working for this company as Dispatch gave me experiences that help me deal with individuals on a day to day basis, beyond what an associate level in customer service could.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
High Management Turnover

2.9