Garda World Employee Reviews

Good experience but not long term
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
A normal day at work is different depending on which site you are stationed at. For office buildings its usually long hours with many patrols through the building with very little change. For a Mall it is always changing and full of excitement with patrols throughout the day and different situations from medicals to altercations. The management of the entire company is not very good however. Every paycheque there seems to be issues with the payment. Unfortunately the company doesn't have a good training system and many are under trained.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Underpaid
Poor Management & Staff Morale
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2016
For a company as large as GardaWorld, the career advancement opportunities are almost endless and employee training & uniforms are free of charge. But it does come at some price for the Toronto branch. The internal structure is very disorganized and has poor management skills. The working environment is very negative and has an 'every person for themselves' mentality. Good guards go unrewarded, and bad ones remain employed. There is poor communication between departments, management, and field staff. Workplace harassment is abundant and many senior staff turn a blind eye. Most guards are uneducated in basic security procedures and morale is low. Hopefully, internal audits can turn things around. But not foreseeable in the near future.
Pros
OT, growth opportunities, career advancement
Cons
Disorganized, Low Morale, Negative Working Environment
Typical private security company
Floater (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2016
No room for advancement financially. Contract security quality is largely site dependent and not really a company issue. Shifts are cancelled often and for those without a permanent site it is often hard to get your 40 hour work week. Zero support from operations, calls to payroll and benefits go to voicemail and are not returned. This is unfortunately typical, Gardaworld is no worse than any other larger security firm.
Cons
Not enough work, unstable employment.
Terrible Place To Work
Regional Technician - Cash Services Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 22, 2016
This is the first place that I have ever worked where the co-workers hate being there. I have just started working there and every employee that I have made contact with has indicated their hate for the company and has encouraged me to find another job! I have been told, and it is probably true, that they fire people at will with no real justifications. Probably to make their monthly cash flow look good to the owners of this company.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poisoned work culture
Good work culture
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts and I work a two week on two week off rotation making it the hardest part of the job as I am away from family. Most enjoyable part is being around people and meeting people from different backgrounds. I have a very good supervisor and manager who make work life an enjoyable place to be in.
Pros
lovely working environment, good management
Cons
long hours, 12 hours shifts, being away from home for 2weeks out of the month
Benefit of learning while working in corporate culture.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The most important experience that one gains while working as Security Officer is, that one learns to deal with people from different walks of life and cultures. something that can help every individual to learn to communicate and improve one's man management skills.
Pros
One learns to be a team player.
Cons
Learn to adapt to rotations.
Enjoyable career
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with then many cultural people at the airport. The passengers and overall work experience is something I will always remember. The fast pace and work load was exceptional. If I could work in that type of environment again, I would be happy.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
inexperienced management
Productive and professional
Pre-Boarding Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work is 4-8am for myself. My shift normally goes by pretty fast as a lot of people like to travel early in the morning. I learned a lot of new things from this job. I learned how to identify certain objects in passengers bags on the x-ray machines, how to conduct pat downs and search bags to look for non-permitted items or prohibited items. The management has always been professional and reasonable and my co-workers are easy going and great to work with.
The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with unruly passengers and the high stress part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job would be able to meet and talk to people from all over the world.
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 15, 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
Solid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2016
It pays well for a ridiculously easy job, especially if you end up on the night shift. Night shift itself I found to be nice and calm and relaxing, if a bit boring. The 4 days on/4 days off schedule was absolutely fantastic once you adjust, it gives you plenty of time for hobbies or out of town trips. You just can't do much on the days that you are working.

My main issue with the job was how utterly repetitive it got after the first couple of months, there wasn't much left to learn once you got the hang of it. And the lack of promotion options can make you feel a little trapped.

No problems with the management, either on site or from the headquarters. They were all very helpful and accommodating. And nearly all (nobody's perfect) my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

Overall I'd say it's a good temporary job to fill in a blank where you need to save some money.
Pros
decent pay, good work schedule, easy job/low stress
Cons
boring, no real advancement options, repititious
productive work experience
Mobile Operative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 8, 2016
On a typical day on the job, every operative is required to arrive on time for their scheduled shift work and obtain all the necessary work related equipment. Memo book documentations, Reports and key audit forms must be organized and update to date. It is required to patrol buildings on the behalf the clients

I have learned to focus on the areas during a patrol that must be attended to; such as, fire panels, electrical rooms, mag lock, alarm panels etc.

Dealing with Management can be difficult due to the fact they are busy handling cooperate affairs but it is very important to remain patient and be vocal on an issue concerning to personal matters.

The hardest part of the job is the overwhelming responsibility tasked to every operative while performing their duties. In order to stay on top of the work-load it is necessary to be organized while working efficiently..

The enjoyable parts of the job is learning the scope of the security business and using all of that knowledge for future endeavors.
Pros
work opportunites
Cons
Pay rate
Canada's bottom 10 Employers to work for!
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Under qualified Management, Do it my way or the Highway attitude!
Below average Pay scales. No work life balance. Lack of respect for employees, collective agreements and labor laws.
Pros
Cons
To many to list! ask anyone working for GARDA
Not great
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCAugust 3, 2016
Not much good to say. They make a lot of money but that never trickles down to staff.After they bought Intercon they removed any good policies that helped the officers.They are frustrating to deal with and seem to not care much about the people who are keeping them going. They compare poorly to other security companies.They have started hiring people at minimum wage which does not give a good impression. How good can these people be if they will work for that rate? It's embarrassing.
Pros
I am sure there is something but I can't think of anything currently.
Cons
Wage freeze, loss of discounts for shoes and other requirements, apathy toward employees.
Security Guard
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
I would go into work make sure that I am logged onto the computer under my profile. Ask the driver for their paper work and identification. I log in truck drivers loads make sure the sku and barcod matches what is in the computer. Call an employee inside loblaws to find out what door I send the truck drivers too. I also log drivers out when they are leaving and make sure there is nothing left on the truck. The co-workers that I work with are great group of people. hardest part of my job is when drivers are not coming at their appointment time and coming way early and expecting to get in right away. I love the hours that I work just would like to work mornings instead of afternoons. Management is really good and help out when ever it is required. I have learned how to log in drivers and computer skills
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 14, 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
Good job stability but pay rate is the downside.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peel, ONAugust 19, 2016
Good company to work for. After seniority good chance to get fixed shift. At beginning have to do lots of rotations or nights.
Not much overtime available because they been hiring everyone with Security licences even though many of them not fluent in English. They focused on quantity but not quality.
Wages are not the best part. Can't make good money without doing OT.
Pros
Big company, good dispatcher, lots of sites, job stability, students can get suitable timings.
Cons
5+ years making almost same money when they started. Few supervisors do favoritism.
Progressive and Exciting Work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Caledon, ONOctober 9, 2015
Garda World Protective Services Provides you with the opportunity get a start and gain experience in the industry. Garda World allows an equal opportunity to grow in the company. The management does a good job of making you feel important and overall provide job satisfaction. Largest Security company in North America so the job opportunities are exceedingly more then any other company in the industry. Security work is fulfilling, so if you desire a progressive and exciting career I would choose Garda World as a great platform company.
Pros
equal opportunity
Cons
shift work and sometimes odd hours
Challanging & Stressfull
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 2, 2016
- always on the go.
- not much room for advancement
- management was not adapt to change
- working with unionized members
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Lots of room for growth
Cruise Ship Terminal Contract Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, B.C.September 21, 2015
I manage a contract for the company, and it was an opportunity that was not sought out but I was identified by key members in management as someone that was capable to manage such a high visibility site. Gardaworld looks to identify good people and promote from within, and is willing to mentor and teach when needed.
Pros
Job advancement
Cons
Work-life balance

2.9