Garda World Employee Reviews in Canada

job security
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2016
no room for life/work balance.
job responsibilities are not over whelming
very union driven
Great team members
need more communication from mgmt
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.
Security guard
Special Service Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2016
Worst company ever. Stay away from this place at all costs. If you have an interest in law enforcement join government or in house security. Management is a joke and the get slightly higher wages than McDonalds LOL! As a guard they will treat you like a slave and screw you constantly with your pay.
very good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJuly 15, 2016
Treat their employees very well as a global company need to have more contracts for smaller cities to increase employment
Pros
Very reliable
Cons
need more contracts for small cities
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 14, 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
Excellent management that identifies talent and promotes within
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 11, 2016
I have a high level of respect and admiration for this company. It has employed me and given me opportunities to grow and flourish in the industry.
Pros
lots of work available
Cons
work/life balance is a challenge sometimes
Not a happy camper. ..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONJuly 6, 2016
Management is horrible unorganized and a lacking communication! After awhile things got very confusing to which is which and who was managing who!
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Horrible office environment
Security Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 5, 2016
I worked as a security dispatcher in the Ottawa office. The behaviour from "management" was unbelievable. The management would cuss at security guards and dispatch staff on a consistent basis. They would also spread rumors and gossip about all staff. Working there was almost unbearable.

I recall when a new member of the dispatch team was added, and instantly the gossip began. The new girl had an issue with the gossipping environment so she took it up with management within a few days of starting her new job. The management laughed in her face and as soon as she left, the management began screaming to other office staff, calling her a lying b**ch, saying that she's a loser, that she is going to get fired if she can't keep her anorexic mouth shut - all while a line of customers were waiting in the lobby, and they were hearing the entire thing.

The management are bullies. If you EVER brought up an issue to them, they would make your life miserable, and they would degrade you and put you down in front of the entire office. They would also take away your hours if you brought a concern to their attention to 'punish' you. If you emailed manager privately about an issue, everyone would know by the next day, because they often read personal emails out loud to mock you.

They were also VERY racist.
The management would consistently tell me "book a GOOD guard for "location", they have to be white and they have to actually be able to speak english. Don't give ____ any shifts, he can barely speak English and he's f**king gross and I'm trying to get him fired."

They would also
  more... bring up past and personal stories about specific guards and tell them to the entire office. Saying that "guard _____ is a f**king loser. He asked for a break because he needed to pray. Once he started praying in the hospital during a shift because we wouldn't give him a break to go do it, he took his socks off and got on a mat and started praying. How f**king disgusting, who the f**k does that"

Often times guards would come in to have a union meeting. When the guards would be sitting and waiting for their meeting, a manager would come into the dispatch office and tell me about how stupid he is, and that she's trying to get him fired because she doesn't like him.

Other than issues with management, I loved my job and I loved interacting with guards and customers. The only negative ting about the job was the management and office environment.

Working at garda world was a horrible environment. Management constantly put people down, it was an extremely negative environment. I do NOT recommend working in the Ottawa office.
Pros
Dispatching was exciting and fun, the guards were great to talk to
Cons
Long hours, made you work 12 hour shifts with only 8 hours between them, horrible management team
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Management Review
SCREENING POINT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 27, 2016
Great group of people for the most part but lacks a structured upper management and cohesiveness. Difficult operating at my level without support from my immediate supervisors.
Stressful and no communication in the office.
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 23, 2016
This company lacks communication. Rarely communicate on serious issues. Very disorganized in the office. little telephone on personal contact
Pros
Gaining clients.
Cons
no communication or back up
A good company to work at.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  CasualJune 20, 2016
A Good company dealing with security and investigative services .The company has services related with security and investigations.The company has lot of client whom they work with.
Always an opportunity for growth
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 18, 2016
always had something different to do - assisting with various departments in maintaining the operations of the branch.
never was a dull or boring day at work always learned something new about the company, my work, and myself in regards to my abilities and skill set.
Average
Ontario Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
It was ok working with this company, I have mixed reviews because it doesnt offer any full time jobs. Often only gives bad jobs (undesirable).
Pros
Call in shifts
Cons
Hard to find full time
Productive and easy to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
Typical security works, like patrols, CCTV reviews, audits of keys, access cards, fire panel response, etc.Communicating with building operators, tenants and other building staff for routine requests like lighting, temperature, plumbing, parking issues etc.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
Salary advancement has a limit or cap
Security Guard
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
I would go into work make sure that I am logged onto the computer under my profile. Ask the driver for their paper work and identification. I log in truck drivers loads make sure the sku and barcod matches what is in the computer. Call an employee inside loblaws to find out what door I send the truck drivers too. I also log drivers out when they are leaving and make sure there is nothing left on the truck. The co-workers that I work with are great group of people. hardest part of my job is when drivers are not coming at their appointment time and coming way early and expecting to get in right away. I love the hours that I work just would like to work mornings instead of afternoons. Management is really good and help out when ever it is required. I have learned how to log in drivers and computer skills
Management is very kind.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2016
Its a good company to start at an early age.Employee can make enough money to support education and expenses and move on to policing and law enforcing agencies.
Very enjoyable and a lot of fun.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 3, 2016
First day was my typical day of work, it was so memorable because it was a winter morning and very cold. I learned a lot about patrol work and knowledge of the site. the management and co-workers were cooperative. the cold make my day hard and the day was enjoyable because I saw a lot of new things.
fun workplace
Security Guard/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Ensured the safety and security of client holdings, tenants and visitors to the assignment area in a professional, courteous manner.
Enforced site rules and regulations of establishments.
Worked effectively under pressure in a physically demanding environment with attention to detail, critical thinking with excellent job task planning and organization.

2.9