Garda World Employee Reviews

Poor management, toxic environment
Cash messenger (Former Employee) –  Southern Alberta11 November 2016
Awful management, along side out of date equipment that they expect you to perform to there unrealistic standards. Even when you're working with what you got, your always in the wrong. Terrible support system, nobody from one city to the next gave a hoot about anyone just get home as fast as you can work and drive. ot all came down to the company making money, and not giving a hoot about the employee or the work we perform or dangers some have endured. The employee comes last. A clear sign of the companies and managers made employees arrogant and not care. Very disappointing
Pros
Good pay, above average benefits
Cons
No room for improvement or promotion, bad management, micro managing is a issue, very repetitive job tasks
Solid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2016
It pays well for a ridiculously easy job, especially if you end up on the night shift. Night shift itself I found to be nice and calm and relaxing, if a bit boring. The 4 days on/4 days off schedule was absolutely fantastic once you adjust, it gives you plenty of time for hobbies or out of town trips. You just can't do much on the days that you are working.

My main issue with the job was how utterly repetitive it got after the first couple of months, there wasn't much left to learn once you got the hang of it. And the lack of promotion options can make you feel a little trapped.

No problems with the management, either on site or from the headquarters. They were all very helpful and accommodating. And nearly all (nobody's perfect) my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

Overall I'd say it's a good temporary job to fill in a blank where you need to save some money.
Pros
decent pay, good work schedule, easy job/low stress
Cons
boring, no real advancement options, repititious
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 August 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
excellent management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  8200 Dixie Road Brampton14 October 2016
I have had a great experience working for Garda. The management is 2nd to none and the working atmosphere is great.

I have met many people of all different cultures and enjoy it.
Pros
nice office, best management team
Cons
low pay and benefits, no animals
Fast pace, energetic environment with opportunity to work with hundreds of different employees.
Screening point manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON25 November 2016
Ample opportunity to work with employees and directly deal with passengers on a daily basis. Upper management is very supportive and there is definitely a great working relationship and collaboration.
Pros
Great dealing with the public and ensuring passengers are safe.
Cons
Long hours and shift work from early mornings to late afternoon; no balance in schedule.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 August 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Challenging work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Day to day work is formulaic and involves doing the same things the same way, and often, but special occurrences will challenge your ability to adapt. Working with and around your team to best manage emergencies, irate members of the public, and safety and maintenance issues can make the job rewarding when done well.
Pros
Exercise, learning opportunities, crisis management experience
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts
Cool training, bad schedules
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing.
Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day)
have to do night shifts before getting to days

Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run.
Paid over time is 1.5x
sometimes double time

most of the guys and gals are nice
Everything is rushed
no benefits for part timers and casuals
Cons
Long hours if you dont know your route
Hazardous to health, safety and well-being
VAULT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2016
Managment tends to avoid useful ideas to help increase company's income, unionized employees have the tendency to think they are entitles to everything and no discipline action required. Procedures are followed accurately, but nobody is willing to praise supervisors/managment for a long day.
Unprofessional, worst job experience
Pre Boarding Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  YYC Calgary19 October 2016
The worst place to work at. I have never dealt with such unprofessional, uneducated and verbally abusive managers in my entire life. I don't recommend this place to anyone. Senior Officers have attitude problems most likely passed on from their managers or they have been working there too long it's gotten into them. Managers contradict one another and the training is very poor. If you have an education, please avoid this place, I'm sure you can find something a lot better. I feel sorry for the employees that work there. The pay is not even that great either. Maybe for those who lack education it may seem alright but it ain't. People will come and go.
Pros
Cons
Uneducated, unprofessional management, supervisors.
Great Job Oppurtunity
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
GardaWorld is an internationally successful and growing security company. Working for this company as Dispatch gave me experiences that help me deal with individuals on a day to day basis, beyond what an associate level in customer service could.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
High Management Turnover
Just read the news
Messenger (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
No proper training. Not a safe environment. What you see in the news for the Edmonton location is merely the tip of the iceberg. Management is awful. This job is not worth your life. Turn around and look elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits. Possible overtime. Co workers.
Cons
Everything else
Productive and safe
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 September 2016
Good environment , nice , paceful, long hours 12h/day , i like working with them
Cool , i learned a lot, good coworkers
Management good but so young but it is ok ..they know what they do they know the job
productive
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 December 2016
maintain the safety for the site and conduct interior and exterior patrols even 3 hours and assist tenants if they need any help.
Benefits
Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON14 July 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
Stay away unless you're desperate
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 December 2016
Its all about the client. If you have a good relationship with them, with good hours. Then you'll never have to deal with Garda.

If you ever lose the site, prepare for a headache.
The company will pull dirty tricks to find ways around your seniority and lie to you about available work.

Management is a joke. If your lucky enough to get ahold of someone they wont take your call seriously and you'll get nowhere.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Bad hours, inconsitent work, bad managment.
Good experience but not long term
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
A normal day at work is different depending on which site you are stationed at. For office buildings its usually long hours with many patrols through the building with very little change. For a Mall it is always changing and full of excitement with patrols throughout the day and different situations from medicals to altercations. The management of the entire company is not very good however. Every paycheque there seems to be issues with the payment. Unfortunately the company doesn't have a good training system and many are under trained.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Underpaid
The best place to work for university students
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2016
*Calgary, Alberta location*

Awesome management, and if you prove yourself to be a trustworthy worker they will accomodate you in whatever way they can. This is the first workplace in the private security industry where I have felt like a person rather than an ID number, where I felt respected by management and that they wanted to do what they could to see me succeed.

After a summer of working full-time, where I had overtime opportunities and a 48 hour 4-on-4-off rotation, I went back to school. I worked out a new schedule with HR to work weekends and got plenty of calls for extra shifts. During the shift as long as nobody saw me I could read my textbook (uploaded to my cell phone), do research for my papers, etc. and supervisors never bothered me about it. Just make sure you tell them that you're in school beforehand and work it out with them when it's acceptable to do school work on the job.

Quit working in the service industry for just above minimum wage, students. Get your security licence and work for Garda. They are so good to students in my experience.
Pros
Lots of hours, competitive wages across all positions, accomodating
Cons
Same as all security work in Alberta, modest pay and can't leave the worksite for lunch so pack a backpack
Productive and easy to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2016
Typical security works, like patrols, CCTV reviews, audits of keys, access cards, fire panel response, etc.Communicating with building operators, tenants and other building staff for routine requests like lighting, temperature, plumbing, parking issues etc.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
Salary advancement has a limit or cap

2.9