Garda World Employee Reviews in Canada

Working for Garda Security
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 14, 2016
I worked at dispatched for three months at this place and decided to go back to being a guard. Working as a dispatcher gave aninsight to management with this company. They belittled the guards, called them stupid and laughed constantly at them. I decided to go back into the field to eliminate this. The pay is only minimum but its more disciplined and you can be profesional, something I found lacked in the office.
Sorry I have respect for people and if some guards are not able to do the job properlly they should be brought into office and dealt with not laughed and talked about.

I do still work there but only pick up shift as a casual.
fast paced environment with lots of interaction with different types of people
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a lot of customer service, staying on top of emails/phones calls. To keep the place organized and make sure things are put into order for the next guard on duty.

I’ve learned organization skills and how to deal with many types of people on different levels of communication
Pros
Amazing hours 8-4 M-F very friendly environment
Cons
you're the middle man for almost everything that happens so it's good to make sure things get done.
Security Guard
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 9, 2016
I would go into work make sure that I am logged onto the computer under my profile. Ask the driver for their paper work and identification. I log in truck drivers loads make sure the sku and barcod matches what is in the computer. Call an employee inside loblaws to find out what door I send the truck drivers too. I also log drivers out when they are leaving and make sure there is nothing left on the truck. The co-workers that I work with are great group of people. hardest part of my job is when drivers are not coming at their appointment time and coming way early and expecting to get in right away. I love the hours that I work just would like to work mornings instead of afternoons. Management is really good and help out when ever it is required. I have learned how to log in drivers and computer skills
fun workplace
Security Guard/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
Ensured the safety and security of client holdings, tenants and visitors to the assignment area in a professional, courteous manner.
Enforced site rules and regulations of establishments.
Worked effectively under pressure in a physically demanding environment with attention to detail, critical thinking with excellent job task planning and organization.
Great Pay, but drops you within 3 months of hire
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONApril 18, 2016
Garda world at gold corp is great to make some good money and have good work benefits but they do tend to terminate you before your 3 month period is over, expect to remain no more than 2 months with them.
Pros
Great Pay, average benefits, eat lunch at anytime
Cons
long hours of mostly nothing, contract gets terminated within the 3 month period so you won't receive the benefits, (recomended that you have another job lined up before your 3 month period has expired)
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.
Good experience but not long term
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
A normal day at work is different depending on which site you are stationed at. For office buildings its usually long hours with many patrols through the building with very little change. For a Mall it is always changing and full of excitement with patrols throughout the day and different situations from medicals to altercations. The management of the entire company is not very good however. Every paycheque there seems to be issues with the payment. Unfortunately the company doesn't have a good training system and many are under trained.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Underpaid
Everyday Floater
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This company does not have much organized effort to have any data on you, I gave them my resume over 5 times and it is never on file. Long hours and low pay with no benefits and a union which doesn't do much. No advancement ever possible in this company your just a pawn to their bigger picture and just an employee number rather than a name.
Productive and easy to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
Typical security works, like patrols, CCTV reviews, audits of keys, access cards, fire panel response, etc.Communicating with building operators, tenants and other building staff for routine requests like lighting, temperature, plumbing, parking issues etc.
Pros
Easy work environment
Cons
Salary advancement has a limit or cap
Good work culture
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2016
I work 12 hour shifts and I work a two week on two week off rotation making it the hardest part of the job as I am away from family. Most enjoyable part is being around people and meeting people from different backgrounds. I have a very good supervisor and manager who make work life an enjoyable place to be in.
Pros
lovely working environment, good management
Cons
long hours, 12 hours shifts, being away from home for 2weeks out of the month
Typical private security company
Floater (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2016
No room for advancement financially. Contract security quality is largely site dependent and not really a company issue. Shifts are cancelled often and for those without a permanent site it is often hard to get your 40 hour work week. Zero support from operations, calls to payroll and benefits go to voicemail and are not returned. This is unfortunately typical, Gardaworld is no worse than any other larger security firm.
Cons
Not enough work, unstable employment.
Very enjoyable and a lot of fun.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 3, 2016
First day was my typical day of work, it was so memorable because it was a winter morning and very cold. I learned a lot about patrol work and knowledge of the site. the management and co-workers were cooperative. the cold make my day hard and the day was enjoyable because I saw a lot of new things.
Productive and professional
Pre-Boarding Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work is 4-8am for myself. My shift normally goes by pretty fast as a lot of people like to travel early in the morning. I learned a lot of new things from this job. I learned how to identify certain objects in passengers bags on the x-ray machines, how to conduct pat downs and search bags to look for non-permitted items or prohibited items. The management has always been professional and reasonable and my co-workers are easy going and great to work with.
The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with unruly passengers and the high stress part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job would be able to meet and talk to people from all over the world.
Security guard
Special Service Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 17, 2016
Worst company ever. Stay away from this place at all costs. If you have an interest in law enforcement join government or in house security. Management is a joke and the get slightly higher wages than McDonalds LOL! As a guard they will treat you like a slave and screw you constantly with your pay.
Great workers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
Working overnight was awesome, I surely enjoyed it. the hardest part was wondering what time you are going to leave, they dont tell you what time your expected to be there until. Co workers were great, except when they are late for their shift then its difficult, because you are so ready to get home and get some sleep.
Pros
Workers made it easier to work with
Cons
Hours werent always promised
Always an opportunity for growth
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 18, 2016
always had something different to do - assisting with various departments in maintaining the operations of the branch.
never was a dull or boring day at work always learned something new about the company, my work, and myself in regards to my abilities and skill set.
Terrible Place To Work
Regional Technician - Cash Services Division (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 22, 2016
This is the first place that I have ever worked where the co-workers hate being there. I have just started working there and every employee that I have made contact with has indicated their hate for the company and has encouraged me to find another job! I have been told, and it is probably true, that they fire people at will with no real justifications. Probably to make their monthly cash flow look good to the owners of this company.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poisoned work culture
Benefit of learning while working in corporate culture.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
The most important experience that one gains while working as Security Officer is, that one learns to deal with people from different walks of life and cultures. something that can help every individual to learn to communicate and improve one's man management skills.
Pros
One learns to be a team player.
Cons
Learn to adapt to rotations.
A company of crows
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Garda in lines :
- In Garda , you're just a number...no more.
- Their clients are always right so they never defend you.
- Account directors give good contracts to their favorite officers and keep the hardest ones to others
- If you're African, forget about high management posts (unless you are a boots l****r)
My advice : Unless you have no other choice and you are starving, avoid it !!!
Pros
A temporary job to do when you have no other choice
Cons
Favoritism for good contracts and discrimination for management posts
Excellent management that identifies talent and promotes within
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 11, 2016
I have a high level of respect and admiration for this company. It has employed me and given me opportunities to grow and flourish in the industry.
Pros
lots of work available
Cons
work/life balance is a challenge sometimes

2.9