Garda World Employee Reviews

Solid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2016
It pays well for a ridiculously easy job, especially if you end up on the night shift. Night shift itself I found to be nice and calm and relaxing, if a bit boring. The 4 days on/4 days off schedule was absolutely fantastic once you adjust, it gives you plenty of time for hobbies or out of town trips. You just can't do much on the days that you are working.

My main issue with the job was how utterly repetitive it got after the first couple of months, there wasn't much left to learn once you got the hang of it. And the lack of promotion options can make you feel a little trapped.

No problems with the management, either on site or from the headquarters. They were all very helpful and accommodating. And nearly all (nobody's perfect) my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with.

Overall I'd say it's a good temporary job to fill in a blank where you need to save some money.
Pros
decent pay, good work schedule, easy job/low stress
Cons
boring, no real advancement options, repititious
not a good company to work with
Access Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 20, 2016
it was not a fun place to work. management was very rude. duty supervisor was not helpful at all. had to wait to go to wash for hours. no breaks and outdoor post.
And I thought Intelligard was bad, yeeeesh.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 17, 2016
First and foremost; if you're going to hire me I expect work, and no lies. Upon hire I was promised an interview with the management at the Massie Hall and Roy Thompson site and was given a temporary site until I did receive the interview or so i thought. After about 5-6 weeks at this "temporary" job without a word about the interview, I receive my schedule via e-mail as protocol and head into work as normal but upon my arrival I was greeted with a former guard at the temp. site, after put on hold for about an hour we are both greeted with yet another guard-which whom everyone had complained about always being an hour late- arrives. Soon after this delightful dilemma I was compensated roughly 40$ after taxes for what I thought was only that shift, but then soon realised that my entire schedule had been decimated due to his arrival and poor scheduling. Weeks go by about 2-3 and I'm finally given the same site and schedule again, I know what you're naturally thinking "They've resolved the issue", nope. wrong, wrong, wrong, the exact opposite, essentially the exact same thing happened again with the same two guards and I was compensated another 40 yet again for a weeks worth of shifts. Naturally at this point I send a disappointed e-mail to my site supervisor and no response for several weeks.

Soon after I receive an e-mail in regards from HR, I head in that day completely late and didn't even bother talking to anyone, I simply handed in my entire uniform signed it out, and that was that.

The following week I receive a letter from the post office with something in regards
  more... to my termination for get this "lack of work" or whatever. It was an ROE.

If anything I felt disgusted after leaving the building.

Never again.

Anyone that actually hires these clowns will never get a penny out of me.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
The existence of this security company.
good training
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2016
really hard to get in, really strict about the national security, standard in every position. a very good paying salary. good people
Great Job Oppurtunity
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2016
GardaWorld is an internationally successful and growing security company. Working for this company as Dispatch gave me experiences that help me deal with individuals on a day to day basis, beyond what an associate level in customer service could.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
High Management Turnover
Good Job but horrible management
Dispatcher/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 9, 2016
I liked working as a dispatcher, unfortunately, the management team was not professional. hours were long, pay wasn't the best, inhumane expectations, and responsibilities for the dispatchers and guards as well. basically every three months you get a new dispatcher and another one leaves.
Cons
bad management
Cool training, bad schedules
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 8, 2016
Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing.
Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day)
have to do night shifts before getting to days

Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run.
Paid over time is 1.5x
sometimes double time

most of the guys and gals are nice
Everything is rushed
no benefits for part timers and casuals
Cons
Long hours if you dont know your route
a great learning experience.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 8, 2016
I was hired by G4S cash solutions in 2008. in 2014 we found out that our cash division was acquired by Garda world. They made many negative changes that were originally instated by G4S. Our department adapted to all new procedures until they closed the department and moved it to Montreal, leaving us without a job.
Pros
4 day work weeks.
Cons
no management support
fast paced work environment
Scheduler & Workforce Planner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 2, 2016
It's not dream company to work with but if your looking to work over nights or any kind of 12 hours shift then this work place is for you.
There are no benefits for employees.
Challenging work environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Day to day work is formulaic and involves doing the same things the same way, and often, but special occurrences will challenge your ability to adapt. Working with and around your team to best manage emergencies, irate members of the public, and safety and maintenance issues can make the job rewarding when done well.
Pros
Exercise, learning opportunities, crisis management experience
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts
Access control officer
Access control (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2016
very good company management especially supervisor is good and coworkers too, i enjoyed working, i enjoyed working at access control gates, i left company found other jobs
Cons
pay
Good job stability but pay rate is the downside.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peel, ONAugust 19, 2016
Good company to work for. After seniority good chance to get fixed shift. At beginning have to do lots of rotations or nights.
Not much overtime available because they been hiring everyone with Security licences even though many of them not fluent in English. They focused on quantity but not quality.
Wages are not the best part. Can't make good money without doing OT.
Pros
Big company, good dispatcher, lots of sites, job stability, students can get suitable timings.
Cons
5+ years making almost same money when they started. Few supervisors do favoritism.
Mismanaged, dead end job
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 15, 2016
The job it self as a screening officer is simple and rewarding. After a few months and you begin to realize no one get disciplined for their actions, doing your job correctly isn't enforced, and respect for self and peers is also not enforced, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay focused and motivated.
Management does not intervene in any day to day operational issues, unless it directly effects their bonus. The job offers no advancement or recognition.
Coworkers who are lazy and have poor personal hygiene are favoured for some reason while those who care (or once did) about their impact on AVIATION SECURITY lose hope as they feel little to no respect.
When asking management for direction or assistance with ANY situation, you're either laughed at or ignored..
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No discipline
its a fun student job meeting with new peoples .
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 10, 2016
where I was working its was a great environment time to time there were rush hours. we work as team . the best part of this job was when it come to serve customer .
Pros
there is lunch paid
Cons
on weekends
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 8, 2016
good place to work
good people and environment
mangers very knowledgeable and approachable
Training facilities well prepared and knowledgeable
Unstructured work routine
RECRUITMENT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 4, 2016
You need to rely on your own initiative
I learnt that I need to go out of my way to understand my colleagues, management and staff in general
Not great
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCAugust 3, 2016
Not much good to say. They make a lot of money but that never trickles down to staff.After they bought Intercon they removed any good policies that helped the officers.They are frustrating to deal with and seem to not care much about the people who are keeping them going. They compare poorly to other security companies.They have started hiring people at minimum wage which does not give a good impression. How good can these people be if they will work for that rate? It's embarrassing.
Pros
I am sure there is something but I can't think of anything currently.
Cons
Wage freeze, loss of discounts for shoes and other requirements, apathy toward employees.
Terrible Managment
Guard (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 2, 2016
Worked at this company for over a year. No raises, no incentives, Union job, but the union is powerless due to the negotiated contract. Can't strike, can't work to rule. Can't do anything to advance. Never have I worked for a company that cares less about their employees.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No raises, poor treatment by management, weak union
job security
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 26, 2016
no room for life/work balance.
job responsibilities are not over whelming
very union driven
Great team members
need more communication from mgmt
My Review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2016
Pros:
Pay is decent for a no experience required job
I worked with good people and had a great account director
Flexible Schedule, Good hours

Cons
People are treated only as tools to get the job done, they don't much care about work/life balance, are super disorganized and knowing several people who still work there, I have heard absolutely nothing good, only complaints.

2.9