GAP Inc

GAP Inc Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Numbers driven company
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 1, 2013
This is a great place to work if your goal to achieve a significant amount of expertise in the performance culture vs. people culture.
Very customer oriented environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJune 28, 2013
Pros: interactive customers
Cons: not many work tasks
A typical day at work:
- restock
- provide assistance to customers.

What you learned:
- Finding out customer tastes

Management:
- Respectful and well mannered.

Go-workers:
- Great co-workers, interactive and nice.

Hardest part of the job:
- Maintaining a clean change rooms at busy times.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Interactive customers and – more... forming relationships. – less
Unfriendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 19, 2013
Pros: free locker space
Cons: unfriendly staff members
As I was younger when I worked at the Gap I felt that I was somewhat of an outcast and paid little attention to both by management and other staff members. With questions or when in need of assistance I was regarded with condescension and given little help or encouragement.
A place of favoritism, disorganization, and hypocrisy
Sales associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 9, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: co-workers, managers, hours, wage
When I first started at Old Navy, I loved it! I thought that my staff was amazing, and I really liked my job. Not anymore.

On a typical day, I would be folding clothes, keeping the store tidy, and helping customers. The customers are incredibly hard to satisfy! Most are bargain shoppers, and mothers who are irritated because of their noisy children.

The – more... reason why I quit is because of my co-workers and most of the management team.

I would not recommend anybody to work here unless they are okay with high school drama. The store is full of cliques, and people definitely have favorites. Everybody does not get treated the same way. If you are not part of their group, then they will stand around and chit-chat while you do most of the work.

None of the managers are on the same page, and then you get lectured on how you did something wrong, while another manager would see it as a the correct way. It's quite frustrating. – less
Gap
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJune 5, 2013
Great Company, good products that assist shoppers to understand their own casual fashion taste.
Loved doing order picking.
OPS driver (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 23, 2013
Pros: hybrid shift
Cons: had good friends working with me.
It was a fun place to work at.
Made good friends.
Salary was good in the beginning.
Hardest part was to stay in 99% of productivity at the end of the day.
worked there almost 5 years.
Would not recommend employement in the Distribution Centre in Brampton
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Brampton OntarioMay 13, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: long hours, poor work life balance
Constant bickering and fighting amoung managers. Heavy rotation in staffing, people constantly leaving the company or being terminated. A very unhappy, unsatisfying and demotivating place to work.
Retail leader
Loss Prevention Internal Investigator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 6, 2013
GAP Inc. values its employees and drives them to look outside the box during their employment.
prodctive
Assistant Manager (Sales) (Former Employee), onApril 26, 2013
team oriented, supportive managemenet. extensive training.
I really enjoy working with Gap Inc. and value its diversity and flexibility.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSApril 25, 2013
Pros: very flexible hours, relaxed yet extremely focused working environment
You never really know how the day will unfold, but it always seems to flow fairly smoothly.

Through my experience with Gap, I have learned a lot about what it means to be not only a follower, but a leader as well - I've gained a lot of experience having had the opportunity to work closely with more than ten different members of Store Management in – more... two very different retail environments. Through my co-workers, I've learned how teamwork and genuine kindness can go a long way towards ensuring that the customer and the employee both have an enjoyable experience with Gap.

I must say, though, that the hardest part of my job, personally, is that I'm simply a Sales Associate - I'm a very dedicated and self-motivated individual that enjoys the occasional challenge, and frankly, as a Sales Associate, there aren't as many challenges as I would like. I enjoy carrying out large projects that require planning and encourage thinking outside the box.

The most enjoyable parts of my job are customer service and visual merchandising. Nothing is more satisfying than making a customers' day. The customers' experience can be extremely valuable whether a purchase is made or not. And on occasion, I'm able to do visual merchandising on my own. I've grown very fond of creating a visual flow for the store through product and fixture placements. Among customer experience, Visual Merchandising is my passion. – less
Brand and Logistics Expert (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 24, 2013
I loved working at the Gap when I did, the staff were amazing and everyone worked as a team. Unforgettably a new manager came from a different Gap, and we lost our whole team including key holders in a matter of months. But before this occurred it was the best job I've ever had.
Productive, fun and Supportive Environment to work in.
Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 14, 2013
Pros: free dinners, bonus payment if goals are met and supportive managers
Cons: part- time hours
A typical day involves being able to assist customer as best as you can and well as being able to support your follower Co-workers and being supported when need. .
I have learned to not take things personally and to be patient with my self and the customer through our interactions.
I do enjoy working with my follower Co-workers, we are all very supportive – more... and accepting of each other.
I do enjoy where I worker therefore I do not find anything hard about the job so far. Every day is a bit different even though there is a routine aspect to what is carry out.
Apart from the fact that I generally enjoy where I work we also get free dinner parties and snacks I think once a month if I am not mistaken. – less
fun workplace
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2013
the most enjoyable part is that i like fashion a lot ,that made the work so much fun,management is the best ,and i like dealing with people wich made it the job easier
Amazing
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2013
Staff is absolutely amazing, helpful, and supportive everytime. It is easy to learn what goes on in the store and there are always many tasks to be done, which keeps it busy and exciting.
high stress work environment
Brand Experience Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: wealth of talent in people
Cons: absolutely no work life balance, not enough recognition, terrible training (sink or swim dynamic)
- extremely disorganized company
- filled with extremely passionate and talented individuals who work extremely hard for little to no recognition
- says it wants to make its branding and merchandising #1 priority but doesn't provide the right framework or payroll allotment to allow for proper landing of flow
- managers can't get enough office time
- – more... difficult to move up in company once at a certain level
- district managers only assist high level stores, rarely come and spend their expertise in other stores
- district managers are condescending and rude
- company is constantly changing its rhetoric and focus
- little to no structured training - once "training" is over it is sink or swim; after a while you are seen as "being here long enough" and "should know" things which makes it difficult for people who are not fast learners - definitely needs to invest time in solid learning plans and dedicated payroll and time for management to get solid training
- fast paced environment
- staff Gap recruits are passionate, bright and cheerful people
- as a merchandiser, you have to do considerable overnights for long stretches of time in peak seasons and then switch back to days with almost no time off in between nights and days; extremely difficult on body, mind and motivation – less
Productive and Fun Working Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: high level of staff
A typical day at work included doing cash, fitting rooms, stock, helping customers find what they are looking for and putting add on items to increase the sale. The management at The Gap was incredible. The managers and supervisors are very supportive and are always there when you need help with something or just need to talk. I enjoyed working with – more... all my co-workers, working at The Gap was like working with one big family. The hardest part of the job was dealing with I-rate customers, although it is very important to know how to deal with them. The most enjoyable part of working at The Gap is knowing your working in a very friendly environment and helping customers through their shopping adventures. – less
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at Gap would involve selling products to customers.

Gap was my first job and, I learned many transferable skills that I used at University and Beddington's such as: organization skills, time-management skills, communication skills, and learning to use the computer software.

The management at Gap consisted of four managers such as, three – more... associate managers and one store manager. Typically all the management worked together to instil great customer service to their employees.

Co-workers were fun to work with because most of them were all close in age. We all got along quite well and helped one another when it was needed.

The hardest part of the job was learning the different sizes. Working at the children store the sizes ranged from newborn, infant, toddler and kids.

The most enjoyable part was working with the staff to make it a fun-filled environment and the customers. – less
Friendly staff and management team, great atmosphere
Brand Logistics Expert (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: excellent work/life balance
Cons: erratic schedule
As a brand logistics expert I worked primarily with the brand and product side in store. I would delegate tasks and coach the team to meet KPIs. The management style here is great, with an emphasis on work like balance. Very customer and sales focused.
Nasty management team, and nasty workplace
sales associate (Former Employee), Kitchener (Fairview Mall) ONJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: nothing
The only thing that is good about working at Gap is 50% discount, which is not even great when the clothes get markdown and then go additional 40% off.
The manager is bully and she thinks she owns you.
The work hour is so strict and not flexible at all, and that you can't even take a time off to go take x-ray when you are seriously wrong. They still – more... ask you to find someone to replace you, unless you can't take a time off... although you KNOW there is something wrong. – less
Great management, co-workers and friendly environment.
Customer Service Associate & Cashier (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 8, 2013
It's a fast-paced clothing store with customers from various all background and age-groups. Over 5 years of retail customer service experience dealing with customer satisfaction, needs, complaints and more. Management has rotated few times but all are great leaders to work under and work with along with the amazing group of co-workers.

About GAP Inc

The ubiquitous clothing retailer Gap has been filling closets with jeans and khakis, T-shirts, and poplin since the Woodstock – Read more