GAP Inc

2.7K reviews

GAP Inc Employee Reviews

Gap is a rewarding customer focused employer.
Order Picker/Packer and General Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 7, 2015
As a Pick/Packer with Gap, I would typically have ten hour shifts working to meet aggressive(but achievable) UPH Quotas.

As a picker, your jobs is to collect product as orders come in in order to ensure speedy delivery for web based customers. As a packer, your job is to process deliveries from the pickers in a neat and presentable way designed around improving the customers un-boxing experience.

I left Gap with a high level of endurance, an awareness of how to optimize my productivity, a great impression of their employee culture. Hard work is rewarded, and the experiences I carried with me allowed me to excel in both future warehousing positions and sales lead opportunities.

Management practiced a great 1 on 1 feedback loop that saw performance gains across the board for every employee, as well as group reward systems which really gave you an impression of the overall goals of the company.

The hardest part of the job is the endurance required by the end of a ten hour shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking Christmas orders, especially for young families, and knowing you were helping someone complete their holidays.

While opportunity has taken me elsewhere, I recommend anyone take a position with Gap, especially students and new entrants into the workforce - It develops a high standard that leads to excellence.
Pros
paid lunches, transparent management, three day weekends, opportunities for advancement
Cons
long hours, dextrous work, quotas
I really enjoy working with Gap Inc. and value its diversity and flexibility.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSApril 25, 2013
You never really know how the day will unfold, but it always seems to flow fairly smoothly.

Through my experience with Gap, I have learned a lot about what it means to be not only a follower, but a leader as well - I've gained a lot of experience having had the opportunity to work closely with more than ten different members of Store Management in two very different retail environments. Through my co-workers, I've learned how teamwork and genuine kindness can go a long way towards ensuring that the customer and the employee both have an enjoyable experience with Gap.

I must say, though, that the hardest part of my job, personally, is that I'm simply a Sales Associate - I'm a very dedicated and self-motivated individual that enjoys the occasional challenge, and frankly, as a Sales Associate, there aren't as many challenges as I would like. I enjoy carrying out large projects that require planning and encourage thinking outside the box.

The most enjoyable parts of my job are customer service and visual merchandising. Nothing is more satisfying than making a customers' day. The customers' experience can be extremely valuable whether a purchase is made or not. And on occasion, I'm able to do visual merchandising on my own. I've grown very fond of creating a visual flow for the store through product and fixture placements. Among customer experience, Visual Merchandising is my passion.
Pros
very flexible hours, relaxed yet extremely focused working environment
high stress work environment
Brand Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 12, 2013
- extremely disorganized company
- filled with extremely passionate and talented individuals who work extremely hard for little to no recognition
- says it wants to make its branding and merchandising #1 priority but doesn't provide the right framework or payroll allotment to allow for proper landing of flow
- managers can't get enough office time
- difficult to move up in company once at a certain level
- district managers only assist high level stores, rarely come and spend their expertise in other stores
- district managers are condescending and rude
- company is constantly changing its rhetoric and focus
- little to no structured training - once "training" is over it is sink or swim; after a while you are seen as "being here long enough" and "should know" things which makes it difficult for people who are not fast learners - definitely needs to invest time in solid learning plans and dedicated payroll and time for management to get solid training
- fast paced environment
- staff Gap recruits are passionate, bright and cheerful people
- as a merchandiser, you have to do considerable overnights for long stretches of time in peak seasons and then switch back to days with almost no time off in between nights and days; extremely difficult on body, mind and motivation
Pros
wealth of talent in people
Cons
absolutely no work life balance, not enough recognition, terrible training (sink or swim dynamic)
Great workplace at the beginning, ended up hating it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2013
Working at the company started great, I loved it. After a while, the company started cancelling a lot of shifts, thus leading to our store always being understaffed. This required me to do more work, I would work fitting rooms, cash, and sales floor all in one six hour shift, not fun when you're running around everywhere to get everything done. Average shift was around 5 hours. I never got the days I scheduled off. The customers were overwhelming, most of them either complaining about the store or trying to haggle for lower prices and always left a mess. This location required a lot of cleaning, closing took 2 hours, often extending shifts to stay and clean the store. Schedules never came on time and didn't matter anyway because when I came into work they would ask me to stay longer and I would end up missing a break because of the shift change. I ended up coming home everyday feeling like a did a 12 hour day when I worked 6. The only reason I liked coming into work is because you become friends with a lot of your coworkers and they make your shifts bearable.
Pros
free food for the first couple of months, good discount, fair breaks, bonuses
Cons
scheduling
Enjoyable Work Environment, No Hours + Lack of Training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Conestoga Mall - Waterloo, ONOctober 22, 2013
- coworkers and management friendly and usually helpful
- training is lacking, you go through their policies book and watch videos, cash training is all done yourself and expected to be done very quickly which prevents you from actually learning all of the steps to do more difficult things such as returns
- no training/ information about where things are (extra bags, ticketing guns, etc), how they're normal routine goes, and when they expect things to be finished throughout the day
- schedule varies a lot, nice that it's flexible to fit needs but isn't nice when you only get booked 3 hours a week sometimes, and many times you are sent home as they are overstaffed on slow days - you end up relying on getting called in or taking people's shifts.
- actual day of work is pretty good, usually folding and assisting customers, working on cash register
- enjoy working with people to find gifts and help them with sizes
Pros
friendly staff, fairly easy job
Cons
no hours due to too many people working there, lack of training
A place of favoritism, disorganization, and hypocrisy
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 9, 2013
When I first started at Old Navy, I loved it! I thought that my staff was amazing, and I really liked my job. Not anymore.

On a typical day, I would be folding clothes, keeping the store tidy, and helping customers. The customers are incredibly hard to satisfy! Most are bargain shoppers, and mothers who are irritated because of their noisy children.

The reason why I quit is because of my co-workers and most of the management team.

I would not recommend anybody to work here unless they are okay with high school drama. The store is full of cliques, and people definitely have favorites. Everybody does not get treated the same way. If you are not part of their group, then they will stand around and chit-chat while you do most of the work.

None of the managers are on the same page, and then you get lectured on how you did something wrong, while another manager would see it as a the correct way. It's quite frustrating.
Pros
discount
Cons
co-workers, managers, hours, wage
Job Advancement
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2015
Banana Republic gives an amazing job advancement opportunity. Very open, and flexible hours to choose from to fit you life, work and school life. A very organized management team to keep the day flowing smoothly and making sure they could run the business successfully.

A very friendly and helpful team of co-workers, everyone helping each other out to make sure customer service is top priority. I loved the customer service oriented environment at Banana Republic.

The hardest part about the job would be the stress when it gets very crowded on holidays or weekends. Typical days at Banana Republic is quite busy, but it gets very crowded on weekends and it makes it difficult to attend to all customers and maintain a clean work environment.

The most enjoyable part about the job would be the organized managers, who run the day so smoothly. The friendly team of staff who are always willing to coordinate.
Pros
Lots of hours, balancing life and work
Cons
Stressful environment
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at Gap would involve selling products to customers.

Gap was my first job and, I learned many transferable skills that I used at University and Beddington's such as: organization skills, time-management skills, communication skills, and learning to use the computer software.

The management at Gap consisted of four managers such as, three associate managers and one store manager. Typically all the management worked together to instil great customer service to their employees.

Co-workers were fun to work with because most of them were all close in age. We all got along quite well and helped one another when it was needed.

The hardest part of the job was learning the different sizes. Working at the children store the sizes ranged from newborn, infant, toddler and kids.

The most enjoyable part was working with the staff to make it a fun-filled environment and the customers.
Great employees but very boring industry to work.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  kitchener ontarioMay 26, 2015
To begin with the shifts in a retail job are not long at all, because the hours mostly depended on how well the store was doing on a weekly bases. The first thing that every employee must go through before every shift was the 1 minute meeting. In this 1 minute meeting the manager/team lead would tell the employee the new promotions and sells as well as minimum price goal for day. The best part about the job was the co-workers as well as the managers. I had the privilege to work with some amazing people. My managers were not only promotional but also nice and down to earth. As for my co-workers, all of them seemed way to nice. In my short time at the gap I learned how to properly make a sale using the promotions and discounts offered daily.
Pros
The discount card
Cons
Although all my shifts were only 3-4 hours they felt much longer then that.
great learning environment, challenging and rewarding
Loss prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  MarkhamJanuary 20, 2014
I would start my day by reviewing financial reports and shipment logs to make sure there were minimal discrepancies. I would then check my email for any new information need to know for that day or that specific location. After completing all paper work and reviewing previous store audits, which are completed on a monthly basis. I would review previous LP agent logs; these logs indicate the areas of the store that need immediate attention. After tackling the issues in the store and training staff on prevention methods I would then begin floor walking. While floor walking I would apprehend any shoplifters and de-escalate any potential threats in the store. After a apprehension there is paper work that needs to be filled out immediately.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
a lot of travelling
Productive and Fun Workplace
Merchandise processor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2014
When you arrived for your shift you swiped in and waited for the shifts SOS meeting the supervisors held to inform employees what they would be doing for the shift, before we did a few stretches and began the shift. we had three breaks, and everybody was friendly and willing to help if you needed anything, there was no one particular person of head you had to go to discuss your problem, it could be any level of command.

Co workers and supervisors kept the energy up and going, being friendly was key

The hardest part of the job was long hours, and sometimes doing the same task for the whole shift. usually after the lunch break the supervisors would switch us to another task, but not always

the most enjoyable part of the job was the easygoing atmosphere the job had.
Pros
paid breaks, incentives, i.e. giftcards
Amazing working experience
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2015
The people were amazing, the work was hard but always worth it with a generous weekly pay. I never thought I could move non-stop for 9 hours a day (1hr to allot to breaks) and walk out the door with a smile every time.

They tried to shift everyone around to keep our work ethic, bodies and minds fresh, but "picking" was definitely the most fun and physically demanding job I've ever had. I loved it. Couldn't ask for a better job! :)

Kudos to the supervisor that fought to give the employees the right to play their own music at their workstations as well. This kept employees happy and enthusiastic for the shifts, through all the hard work.

All of my co-workers were definitely of the most interesting, friendly, loving and unforgettable stature.

Wish it didn't end so soon!
Pros
the people, the music, weekly pay!
Cons
going home sweaty every day
Productive, fun and Supportive Environment to work in.
Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2013
A typical day involves being able to assist customer as best as you can and well as being able to support your follower Co-workers and being supported when need. .
I have learned to not take things personally and to be patient with my self and the customer through our interactions.
I do enjoy working with my follower Co-workers, we are all very supportive and accepting of each other.
I do enjoy where I worker therefore I do not find anything hard about the job so far. Every day is a bit different even though there is a routine aspect to what is carry out.
Apart from the fact that I generally enjoy where I work we also get free dinner parties and snacks I think once a month if I am not mistaken.
Pros
free dinners, bonus payment if goals are met and supportive managers
Cons
part- time hours
My best minimum wage job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  dufferin mall, toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2013
It is typically busy because it is a Factory Store and located at Dufferin mall. Believe or not, I learned a lot. It taught me how deal with different kinds of people. It developed my interpersonal skills. It also improved my problem solving skills. The management is very professional, caring and respectful. They promote teamwork. People might think that my job is too easy because ' I just fold clothes'. However, sales associates like me deals with different kind of personalities everyday. The hardest part of the job is having to interact with customers with strong personality. The most enjoying part however, is when I am able to make customers happy by being able to find their size, letting them know about a current promotion , etc. And of course, making them loyal customers
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
very busy
Managers who have no idea what they are doing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 6, 2014
The store is a big mess. They hire inexperienced people and throw them onto the cash desk. Managers want their paychecks but aren't willing to do the work for it. Would much rather walk around looking busy, or simply go sit in the back office. Scheduling is horrible, 'sure id love to come in for 4 hours in the middle of the day and get cut after 2 hours". They have a bad habit of calling you on your day off and asking if you can come in for a 4 hour shift. One of the managers got the position in this location as they know one of the district managers, and this person has no idea how to work in a retail store. Which in turn means everyone else working that shift has to pick up the slack.
Pros
the only pro was the company discount
Cons
unprofessional management team
Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 11, 2013
I loved my time at Gap Inc. I was with the company a total of five years, between two different locations. A typical day at work would mean; dressing in current merchandise, a quick meeting with the team and manager, goals discussed, greet and assist customers with their experience, and make sure the store made goal. Management was amazing to work for and with, communicated with upper management clearly, competently, and confidently. As a senior Sales Associate, I took the initiative to help new employees, and motivate co-workers.There was not a "hardest part" of my job at the Gap, there were challenges. I faced those challenges, and almost always succeeded in my task. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people all the time.
Productive and Fun Working Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 11, 2013
A typical day at work included doing cash, fitting rooms, stock, helping customers find what they are looking for and putting add on items to increase the sale. The management at The Gap was incredible. The managers and supervisors are very supportive and are always there when you need help with something or just need to talk. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers, working at The Gap was like working with one big family. The hardest part of the job was dealing with I-rate customers, although it is very important to know how to deal with them. The most enjoyable part of working at The Gap is knowing your working in a very friendly environment and helping customers through their shopping adventures.
Pros
flexible
Cons
high level of staff
Work Experience at GAP
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONJanuary 30, 2016
A typical day at GAP Inc consists of processing merchandise throughout the store as well as cleaning up and providing excellent customer service. During my time at GAP Inc, I learned how to provide excellent customer service and manage multiple responsibilities at once. I also learned how to organize and process merchandise throughout the floor. My co-workers were all so helpful and positive as they had created the best learning/growing environment for new workers such as myself. For me, the hardest part about the job was cleaning up and seeing people make a mess of what I cleaned 2 seconds later. The most enjoyable part about the job was the working environment because all my coworkers were so friendly and outgoing.
Productive but fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, OntarioMarch 10, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to start with meeting with the supervisor to find out where would be for the shift. Whether it is in fittings, cash, etc. Management is great and are easy to work with. I find that they make work fun. My co-workers are easy going. We are basically one big family. The hardest part about working here is there there are too many people working here and not enough hours to go around. I'd like a job where I can work 15hours a week minimum. And the most enjoyable part about my job is interacting with the customers. I love meeting new people and hope that I can make a great impression so that they will want to come back.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
too many people work there, not enough hours for everyone.
Great first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OttawaNovember 7, 2013
Just started working not too long ago and can honestly say that it has the best working environment. Friendly and diverse staff, and very understanding managers. They all have a different approach, and the workers (while wearing the GAP attires) aren't all conformed to a certain way of dressing, not always something you see in other apparel stores... The work itself isn't all that easy, definitely a little challenging, but nothing too efffort consuming!
Best part of the job: helping customers, interacting with customers
Hardest part of the job: dealing with multiple customers/tasks at once
A great job for anyone doing their studies or looking for a laid back yet challenging workplace.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
few shifts