GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Great Benefits, but lacklustre shift opportunities
sales associate (Current Employee) –  scarborough town centreMay 26, 2015
Its a standard retail job. Nothing special. I learned how to deal with pesky customers, and co-workers. The management team is usefully on top of their game. The co-workers make going into each shift fun and exciting. The hardest part of the job has to be getting a shift scheduled. Many of the employee's complain about only receiving a maximum of one shift per week. (This is very location specific) The most enjoyable part is, interacting with the customers to help them with what they need.
Pros
Good employee Discount
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Productive but fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, OntarioMarch 10, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to start with meeting with the supervisor to find out where would be for the shift. Whether it is in fittings, cash, etc. Management is great and are easy to work with. I find that they make work fun. My co-workers are easy going. We are basically one big family. The hardest part about working here is there there are too many people working here and not enough hours to go around. I'd like a job where I can work 15hours a week minimum. And the most enjoyable part about my job is interacting with the customers. I love meeting new people and hope that I can make a great impression so that they will want to come back.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
too many people work there, not enough hours for everyone.
My best minimum wage job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  dufferin mall, toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2013
It is typically busy because it is a Factory Store and located at Dufferin mall. Believe or not, I learned a lot. It taught me how deal with different kinds of people. It developed my interpersonal skills. It also improved my problem solving skills. The management is very professional, caring and respectful. They promote teamwork. People might think that my job is too easy because ' I just fold clothes'. However, sales associates like me deals with different kind of personalities everyday. The hardest part of the job is having to interact with customers with strong personality. The most enjoying part however, is when I am able to make customers happy by being able to find their size, letting them know about a current promotion , etc. And of course, making them loyal customers
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
very busy
Gap is a rewarding customer focused employer.
Order Picker/Packer and General Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 7, 2015
As a Pick/Packer with Gap, I would typically have ten hour shifts working to meet aggressive(but achievable) UPH Quotas.

As a picker, your jobs is to collect product as orders come in in order to ensure speedy delivery for web based customers. As a packer, your job is to process deliveries from the pickers in a neat and presentable way designed around improving the customers un-boxing experience.

I left Gap with a high level of endurance, an awareness of how to optimize my productivity, a great impression of their employee culture. Hard work is rewarded, and the experiences I carried with me allowed me to excel in both future warehousing positions and sales lead opportunities.

Management practiced a great 1 on 1 feedback loop that saw performance gains across the board for every employee, as well as group reward systems which really gave you an impression of the overall goals of the company.

The hardest part of the job is the endurance required by the end of a ten hour shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking Christmas orders, especially for young families, and knowing you were helping someone complete their holidays.

While opportunity has taken me elsewhere, I recommend anyone take a position with Gap, especially students and new entrants into the workforce - It develops a high standard that leads to excellence.
Pros
paid lunches, transparent management, three day weekends, opportunities for advancement
Cons
long hours, dextrous work, quotas
A productive and enjoyable workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 25, 2013
Working for the GapKids was a great experience. The management staff and my co-workers were hard-working, kind, and approachable. Every day was a team effort in helping out each customer and getting tasks done such as receiving and putting out new product, maintaining the tidiness of the store, and displaying promotions. The hardest part of the job would be the early-morning shifts for receiving shipments, but the most enjoyable part was helping customers pick out outfits for gifts and being able to do this alongside a great team. Through working for the GapKids I have improved my customer service skills, gained cashier-experience, and learned the importance of team effort.
Very Friendly Environment
Label/Invoice printers to assist users on-demand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 29, 2015
There is no pressure and you can learn lots of things.
You can study in your free times.Manager/users are so friendly. There is lots of learning opportunities. I was working for 4 months and learned allot.
Pros
Very relaxed. Employee discount of 50%
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  south commonSeptember 22, 2015
Management is friendly and understanding. Very friendly coworkers, flexible work hours for students. It was a fun and warm environment to work in.
Productive company that rewards dedication
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 17, 2015
Very supportive Management. New ideas and hard work were appreciated here. Not too much politics and a definite respect for individuals needs.
Pros
GROW(work incentive program)
Fun workplace and great staff to work with
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes greeting customers, selling the products, cleaning, folding clothes, and working the till. I gained lots of communication skills from conversing with customers and the staff. The management is really friendly and patient in training the staff. Co-workers are easy to get along with and super friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is suggesting clothes/outfits for the customers and helping them find clothes that best suit them. The hardest part of the job is the slow times when all there is to do is clean which is tiring when standing on your feet all day. Overall, a good job.
Pros
occasional free donuts, and occasional staff parties
As a part-time seasonal employee the company provided basic benefits and work life balance
Order Picker - Seasonal - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 4, 2015
the work objective is to ensure that on-line orders from previous day to current day are out of the warehouse for delivery to customers.

We were assigned different tasks each day and within a shift, this is to ensure that we understand and appreciate the process from receiving the orders online to delivery to courier.

I learned to use the RF scanner, "Mouse Cart", and other warehouse tools and utilities.

Management is good considering that we are only seasonal/part-time and safety is number one in our work. Work is enjoyable and interactions with other staff is allowed and encourage as long as it will not interfere and hinder each others task.

I will look forward to working with Gap especially during peak shopping seasons.
Cons
location of warehouse was not serviced by public transport after 12 midnight.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Merchandise processor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2014
When you arrived for your shift you swiped in and waited for the shifts SOS meeting the supervisors held to inform employees what they would be doing for the shift, before we did a few stretches and began the shift. we had three breaks, and everybody was friendly and willing to help if you needed anything, there was no one particular person of head you had to go to discuss your problem, it could be any level of command.

Co workers and supervisors kept the energy up and going, being friendly was key

The hardest part of the job was long hours, and sometimes doing the same task for the whole shift. usually after the lunch break the supervisors would switch us to another task, but not always

the most enjoyable part of the job was the easygoing atmosphere the job had.
Pros
paid breaks, incentives, i.e. giftcards
Cons
Fast paced environment,that actualy taught you step by step
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bloor St,Erin Mills TowncentreJune 26, 2013
Gap inc was a really great company to work for, they were the training ground for exceptional customer service and great fashion sense. When I first started at Gap kids, there were training sessions that I had to attend, the sessions taught us about the company as a whole,policies and procedures etc as well as what the brand stood for Q.V.S which was quality, value and style.They had a product knowledge binder that was an awesome tool,where you could find out all the information that you needed on current and past merchandise. I enjoyed my time with them....
Pros
going to the film festival one year because gap did the giveaways
Cons
long hours for "flow" floor set, but it was a great experience.
SERVING AND SALE.
sTOCK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2015
hi my day at glenmoreinn was set tabble for wedding partys and birthday or halloween. clean up. serve customers .helping co workers too.
gap. my day is oranzices stock and cleaning and helping customers and co workers.
Pros
sometimes
Cons
Great company that does a lot for community
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Gap Factory cares about its employees. Constantly trying to incorporate fun things into your typical day at work. Although sometimes there is high expectations with little payroll hours.
Amazing working experience
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 4, 2015
The people were amazing, the work was hard but always worth it with a generous weekly pay. I never thought I could move non-stop for 9 hours a day (1hr to allot to breaks) and walk out the door with a smile every time.

They tried to shift everyone around to keep our work ethic, bodies and minds fresh, but "picking" was definitely the most fun and physically demanding job I've ever had. I loved it. Couldn't ask for a better job! :)

Kudos to the supervisor that fought to give the employees the right to play their own music at their workstations as well. This kept employees happy and enthusiastic for the shifts, through all the hard work.

All of my co-workers were definitely of the most interesting, friendly, loving and unforgettable stature.

Wish it didn't end so soon!
Pros
the people, the music, weekly pay!
Cons
going home sweaty every day
Really productive and a fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, OntarioJuly 30, 2015
The few months i had worked at Gap were the best few months i had considering it was seasonal. Everyone was really friendly, it honestly felt like i was at home, my coworkers, my managers were amazing and supportive. Overall everyone was treated like a family at Gap, one of my best job experience so far.
Pros
discounts, improved my customer service skills
Cons
n/a
Nice Discount not worth the drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCAugust 9, 2014
I genuinely don't review things but i think people should know about Gap- Whistler before applying.

The job isn't hard, and the wage is competitive considering whistlers reputation.

However working for the GM is a nightmare. She doesn't know how to properly communicate or deal with confrontation. The rest of the managers are great and are just trying to do there best with the management situation at the store.

The co workers are awesome too but after a while dealing with the tension in the store
Pros
50% discount
Cons
bad general manager, clothing quality is subpar
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gap at Queen and Spadina, Toronto, ONJune 29, 2014
Working at Gap is always fun, I learned about customer service and the fashion industry in general. The management is approachable. My co-workers are easy to get along with and are also fun. The hardest part of the job is being able to find sizes for particular customers. The most enjoyable part, however, is when you make that customer happy because you did your best to help a customer.
Pros
long hours.
The day I have handled consolidations
Business development (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 26, 2015
I earlier faced prob to take the carge and decision as it was complicated due to the loss invloved in the case here after i have checked alll the minor details and trust my gut skill and proceeded and succeeded
Pros
Free lunch, friendly atmosphere
Cons
tiring work
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 1, 2015
The environment is not stressful or hostile and often times the managers are nice. However, the pay is minimum wage or sometimes below minimumwage