GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

A productive and enjoyable workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 April 2013
Working for the GapKids was a great experience. The management staff and my co-workers were hard-working, kind, and approachable. Every day was a team effort in helping out each customer and getting tasks done such as receiving and putting out new product, maintaining the tidiness of the store, and displaying promotions. The hardest part of the job would be the early-morning shifts for receiving shipments, but the most enjoyable part was helping customers pick out outfits for gifts and being able to do this alongside a great team. Through working for the GapKids I have improved my customer service skills, gained cashier-experience, and learned the importance of team effort.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2016
Fun time with nice people, but what I'm disappointed is when you have to reach the Head Office, it's really hard to understand what they are saying at the phone and reach the good person. Also, when i quite the Job, it took a months and half to had my last pay check and pay stub, and i never had my T4 for my tax return.
great perks
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2016
easy job for anyone once you know what you doing
great staff
management isn't the greatest as can but what management in retail usually is right?
Fun and fast paced
Assistant Manager- Customer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 October 2015
The Gap is great place to work. They pay well with great full time benefits. The down side to working retail is having job/work life balance.
very good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  south edmonton common17 May 2016
Close knit and kind team members who were a lot of fun to work with and very encouraging. Managers were very flexible and considerate at work.
Fun place to work with fun team
Sales/Overnight Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2016
A typical day being a Stock Associate, is you get right to work. Shift starts regularly at 9pm (store closing) and you are required to lift, push, pull, sort out boxes of product and begin the sorting and folding of the shipment. The hours can be long but the people you have on your team makes a big difference. Hours are steady especially through the hoidays. My manager was great. The hardest part of the job is that it is very repetitive so make sure you are prepared for that. Overall, I had a good experience working at Gap Inc.
Pros
Great company discount
Cons
Lots of standing, Late nights
No real management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 May 2016
All the managers are on a power trip and will be sure to let you know where the power stands. Lack of respect makes for a not so productive work environment
Productive but Not Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge18 August 2015
Working here was definitely not the greatest experience. Though their training is unparalleled and they definitely care about their customers, it felt as if they cared little about their employees. I started and I was willing to work as many hours as needed around my schedule and even though I was repeatedly told I was one of the best workers, I was given no hours for months even after asking for some. I tried to get in to contact with the management team and was hung up on - so I ended up quitting through email. Besides this, the focus on what is happening in the store is very manageable and coworkers are expected to help out everyone.
Pros
Excellent Training
Cons
Managment
Gap Outlet
PART TIME EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Toronto Premium Outlets15 May 2016
It was a great experience that helped me to learn the basics of retail work. The enviroment was very fast paced and friendly.
Fun workplace environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 May 2016
I enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and assisting them in whatever it is they are looking for. I have a passion to learn and grow within a company and Gap has fulfilled this passion.
Nice Discount not worth the drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC9 August 2014
I genuinely don't review things but i think people should know about Gap- Whistler before applying.

The job isn't hard, and the wage is competitive considering whistlers reputation.

However working for the GM is a nightmare. She doesn't know how to properly communicate or deal with confrontation. The rest of the managers are great and are just trying to do there best with the management situation at the store.

The co workers are awesome too but after a while dealing with the tension in the store
Pros
50% discount
Cons
bad general manager, clothing quality is subpar
Great place to work, with an amazing team
Assistant-Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 February 2014
Very fast paced environment to work in. Lots of new product coming in weekly/bi-weekly. The team are amazing staff to work with, anybody would love coming into to work. There is lots of opportunity for part-time staff to get lots of shifts every week, which you don't see very often. The management staff is awesome, and great at training and providing help and suggestions when staff need assistance. There is always something to do, and customers to be helped as the store is always fairly busy.
Pros
Great benefits, very organized company
Cons
Commute
Gap is a rewarding customer focused employer.
Order Picker/Packer and General Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 January 2015
As a Pick/Packer with Gap, I would typically have ten hour shifts working to meet aggressive(but achievable) UPH Quotas.

As a picker, your jobs is to collect product as orders come in in order to ensure speedy delivery for web based customers. As a packer, your job is to process deliveries from the pickers in a neat and presentable way designed around improving the customers un-boxing experience.

I left Gap with a high level of endurance, an awareness of how to optimize my productivity, a great impression of their employee culture. Hard work is rewarded, and the experiences I carried with me allowed me to excel in both future warehousing positions and sales lead opportunities.

Management practiced a great 1 on 1 feedback loop that saw performance gains across the board for every employee, as well as group reward systems which really gave you an impression of the overall goals of the company.

The hardest part of the job is the endurance required by the end of a ten hour shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking Christmas orders, especially for young families, and knowing you were helping someone complete their holidays.

While opportunity has taken me elsewhere, I recommend anyone take a position with Gap, especially students and new entrants into the workforce - It develops a high standard that leads to excellence.
Pros
Paid Lunches, Transparent Management, Three day weekends, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Long hours, dextrous work, quotas
Fun place, not enough hours
BRAND ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2016
A typical day at work would be folding clothes and interacting with customers, finding the perfect size and giving them a head's up about the sale that is going on for that particular day.
Pros
Awesome team
Cons
Not enough hours
Prductive and fast.
Cherry Picker Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 April 2016
Productivity is important,I work doing drifferent functions.I help orginise events.In my department i pick and ship orders.
Pros
Shift
Cons
not enought hrs.
fun to work at when you get shifts
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2016
The Gap was a good retail job around busy holiday hours, but once the new year came around i was not being given any more shifts.
Great employees but very boring industry to work.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  kitchener ontario26 May 2015
To begin with the shifts in a retail job are not long at all, because the hours mostly depended on how well the store was doing on a weekly bases. The first thing that every employee must go through before every shift was the 1 minute meeting. In this 1 minute meeting the manager/team lead would tell the employee the new promotions and sells as well as minimum price goal for day. The best part about the job was the co-workers as well as the managers. I had the privilege to work with some amazing people. My managers were not only promotional but also nice and down to earth. As for my co-workers, all of them seemed way to nice. In my short time at the gap I learned how to properly make a sale using the promotions and discounts offered daily.
Pros
The discount card
Cons
Although all my shifts were only 3-4 hours they felt much longer then that.
Productive company that rewards dedication
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 July 2015
Very supportive Management. New ideas and hard work were appreciated here. Not too much politics and a definite respect for individuals needs.
Pros
GROW(work incentive program)
Productive but fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cookstown, Ontario10 March 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to start with meeting with the supervisor to find out where would be for the shift. Whether it is in fittings, cash, etc. Management is great and are easy to work with. I find that they make work fun. My co-workers are easy going. We are basically one big family. The hardest part about working here is there there are too many people working here and not enough hours to go around. I'd like a job where I can work 15hours a week minimum. And the most enjoyable part about my job is interacting with the customers. I love meeting new people and hope that I can make a great impression so that they will want to come back.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Too many people work there, not enough hours for everyone.
Worst job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 November 2015
I was hired and then only given one shift in 3 months with no explanation. And the manager acts like she is a queen. The hardest part of job is talking to management because they are unavailable and act like you are not worth their time.