GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Typical Work Day at Gap
Seasonal/Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2016
Majority of the management team is composed of very hard-working dedicate, friendly people, however there are some exclusions as per usual.
good job
busy during holidays
I enjoy working with the Gap family & the costumers
Gap
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 3, 2016
Best company i Worked for. Focus on the people and development. Good balance between trading and training. Environment diversify and strong leadership.
Fun workplace environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMay 5, 2016
I enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and assisting them in whatever it is they are looking for. I have a passion to learn and grow within a company and Gap has fulfilled this passion.
fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 27, 2015
a typical day working at gap is great always come with a smile on my face greeting my co-workers. i learned how to work and control a fitting room, how to fold clothes and how to set up designs in stores. management is amazing always helping me and always being nice i respect them. co-workers were nice to great people. the hardest part of my job was the long hours other than that it was a great experience. the most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and making new friends,
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
Cool place to work for young people.
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Typical shift consists of greeting the customers and letting them know about the new deals or promotions, tidying up when there are no customers.
Pros
Discount on clothing.
Cons
Very fast-paced.
Productive but Not Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  LethbridgeAugust 18, 2015
Working here was definitely not the greatest experience. Though their training is unparalleled and they definitely care about their customers, it felt as if they cared little about their employees. I started and I was willing to work as many hours as needed around my schedule and even though I was repeatedly told I was one of the best workers, I was given no hours for months even after asking for some. I tried to get in to contact with the management team and was hung up on - so I ended up quitting through email. Besides this, the focus on what is happening in the store is very manageable and coworkers are expected to help out everyone.
Pros
Excellent Training
Cons
Managment
very good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  south edmonton commonMay 17, 2016
Close knit and kind team members who were a lot of fun to work with and very encouraging. Managers were very flexible and considerate at work.
Fun place, not enough hours
BRAND ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 9, 2016
A typical day at work would be folding clothes and interacting with customers, finding the perfect size and giving them a head's up about the sale that is going on for that particular day.
Pros
Awesome team
Cons
Not enough hours
Okay Environment
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
The working environment is okay. However, their management keeps changing. Not much opportunities for advancement.
No real management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 3, 2016
All the managers are on a power trip and will be sure to let you know where the power stands. Lack of respect makes for a not so productive work environment
Job Advancement
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2015
Banana Republic gives an amazing job advancement opportunity. Very open, and flexible hours to choose from to fit you life, work and school life. A very organized management team to keep the day flowing smoothly and making sure they could run the business successfully.

A very friendly and helpful team of co-workers, everyone helping each other out to make sure customer service is top priority. I loved the customer service oriented environment at Banana Republic.

The hardest part about the job would be the stress when it gets very crowded on holidays or weekends. Typical days at Banana Republic is quite busy, but it gets very crowded on weekends and it makes it difficult to attend to all customers and maintain a clean work environment.

The most enjoyable part about the job would be the organized managers, who run the day so smoothly. The friendly team of staff who are always willing to coordinate.
Pros
Lots of hours, balancing life and work
Cons
Stressful environment
Gap Outlet
PART TIME EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Toronto Premium OutletsMay 15, 2016
It was a great experience that helped me to learn the basics of retail work. The enviroment was very fast paced and friendly.
Sqeezing Culture
Merchandise Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 29, 2013
Not fun environment making work stupendous with fake work performance history, squeezing culture to the last drop of lemon, peers and staff bullying, only temporary/seasonal hires/part time/ less working hours, firing on small pretext
cross function training, information dissemination, safety a plus only areas to praise
Pros
cross function training, information dissemination, safety
Cons
not fun environment making work stupendous with fake work performance history, squeezing culture to the last drop of lemon, peers and staff bullying, only temporary/seasonal hires/part time/ less working hours, firing on small pretext
Overall Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2016
At first glance, it is a perfect job. Typically get the hours you want, asking the manager is all you really need to move positions (same base pay). Younger staff, personable people. The job starts weighing harder on you a few months in. Managers can be flaky and unhelpful at times, and while they are often doing their best, they can only do so much to salvage a dying company. Furthermore, Sometimes managers like to pull rank on each other, which makes things difficult in higher stress situations. Often, I would show up to work and they'd cut shifts that didn't need to be cut, often leaving two people to handle a busy days' cleanup just to meet comp. On special promotion days and holidays, managers would get food for the staff, which was nice. Customers are the worst part of the job, as to be expected. Often, managers will bend company policy without explaining them to the customer, so it reflects horribly on regular staff, who now look stubborn and uninformed. Pay is increased based on performance, but seasonal employees make a higher base and often are asked to stay, and are often not the most competent workers, leaving lower payed and overall better employees doing most of the work. Pay is also not scaled, so if minimum wage increases, no matter what your current salary is, it will not increase with it, which feels like a wage loss. Not a horrible place to work if you have ins with managers, but it gets draining and monotonous (even if every day is a new experience, it's usually a cookie cutter bad one with customers). Also has one of the best discounts a retail  more... store could offer.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, amazing discount.
Cons
Unstable hours, shaky management team, no visible upward mobility.
Prductive and fast.
Cherry Picker Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 8, 2016
Productivity is important,I work doing drifferent functions.I help orginise events.In my department i pick and ship orders.
Pros
Shift
Cons
not enought hrs.
Productive and enjoyable workplace, great managers and co workers.
Sales Clerk/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
Productive and enjoyable workplace, with great managers and co workers. Each day brought a new experience and I was more than happy to be a part of such a great organization.
fun to work at when you get shifts
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
The Gap was a good retail job around busy holiday hours, but once the new year came around i was not being given any more shifts.
Worst job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 26, 2015
I was hired and then only given one shift in 3 months with no explanation. And the manager acts like she is a queen. The hardest part of job is talking to management because they are unavailable and act like you are not worth their time.
Easy-going environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 27, 2015
Positive work environment with friendly staff and management. Great customer service is a huge focus which is rewarded when recognized.
Pros
Employee discount